XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2007 XKR is it worth the money over XK

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 09:19 AM
Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
I think the line between the '07 cars really just boils down to the buyers performance priorities, not more aggressive grills, hood louvers or any of that silliness The guy who finds the XK's power and handling perfectly adequate isn't likely going to pay the significant premium for the XKR, and may very well discover things that he prefers about the XK, although some seem to want to improve those things after a while. If however the buyer does wants more performance than the XK offers he'll choose an XKR, or a different make and model, all assuming his choices are dictated by performance and not just budget.

But when a guy says I don't need more power "that" often, or "hardly" ever, or even mentions the quad exhaust I figure he wants the XKR but is seeing if he can talk himself out of it. I think to myself that'll be the next guy to post a question about trying to improve the performance of an XK, or ask where he can get an 'R' badge and exhaust. One guy just wanted extra fake exhaust tips so it would look like an R

So my suggestion is that if you're on the fence which to buy because you're not sure if you'll need the extra awesomeness, the smart money is on the XKR. Otherwise it may not be long until you decide you do actually crave more performance, and you'll become miserable with regret and jealousy, and start rationalizing why you bought the XK. I've never been disappointed with purchasing something a step up from what I could have probably been happy with, since I just spent a little more but got more, but I have regretted trying to save a bit of money by settling for something when I had my doubts about it.

And if I already had an XK, I'm darn sure my second XK would be an Rrrrr! But we're actually lucky to be able to choose between performance levels because back when they made my last XK it was an E-Type...and there was only one. It was all performance from skinny bumper to bumper. 4.2L straight six coupled to a 4 speed manual and limited slip diff that sling-shot it to 59 mph in 1st, 89 in 2nd, 123 in 3rd and 155 in 4th with the 3.07 rear end. It wasn't a woman's (or girlie man's) sports car because you needed a strong left leg for the clutch, and strong forearms to steer it at parking lot speeds. No power steering or automatic tranny until the V12 was introduced in '71. There was no XKE 'Light'...it was all performance or get lost.

That was the essence of the iconic thing that was considered by many to be the most beautiful sports car ever...hood louvers and all. Of course it needed them to let the intense engine heat out, something the powerful XKR generates a little of also. So when I was looking for my next XK I went for the soul I had known and loved, and found it's alive and better then ever in the XKR.

Bruce
Amazing post. I completely concur with all your points.
Thanks Bruce.

The following users liked this post:
Robert Page (05-03-2012)
Old 05-01-2012, 09:23 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Bruce, I'm also guilty of loving the looks of the XKR back end, however, I'm choosing the XK because of the exquisite lines of the clean hood...even though I understand that all of you performance guys could couldn't care less about the looks of a silly *** hood! :-)

This look absolutely takes my breath away.
2007 XKR is it worth the money over XK-kyanite-1.jpg

Old 05-01-2012, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by aahmichael
Bruce, I'm also guilty of loving the looks of the XKR back end, however, I'm choosing the XK because of the exquisite lines of the clean hood...even though I understand that all of you performance guys could couldn't care less about the looks of a silly *** hood! :-)

Attachment 19077
You seem to be choosing yours for all the right reasons and I'm sure you're going to love it relentlessly.

I can't speak for other XKR owners, but I think Jaguar implemented the functional hood vents quite well...as they've have on performance Jaguars for decades, as well as other high performance cars I've owned. I don't feel the urge to chrome them, or make them stand out in any way, but I understand the need and use of them. Some wouldn't be aware of their function, and view their existence as undesirable, but those who know their prupose would likely say "well done".

The same applies to the quad exhaust, where the additional pipes allow for the freer flow of exhaust gas and maximum power at full throttle when the exhaust by-pass valves opens. Jaguar may have been able to design that around just two tips, but everybody relates impressive tips with high performance, and seems to like them, so Jaguar just gave in and provided the glorious quad tips!

Bruce

Old 05-02-2012, 10:09 AM
TTC
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Attachment 19077
You did good mate, same colour combo as my '11 convertible!

Old 05-02-2012, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by TTC
You did good mate, same colour combo as my '11 convertible!
Hey TTC, that's not my car in the picture, and that's not the color combo I'm getting, although the Kyanite Blue is absolutely beautiful. Mine is going to be Indigo Blue, with ivory/charcoal interior.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:07 AM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I have an XK, no "R". I think it matters of how you use the car. 95% of my driving is within the city, and I rarely exceed 40 mph. Not because I don't want, but because I can't, spending most of the time behind slow drivers who sometimes creep at speeds of just 25 mph. I don't need much HP to do that.

The Jag is a car that doesn't need to go fast to look fast.

Last edited by dutch07xk; 05-03-2012 at 06:10 AM.
Robert Page (05-03-2012)
Old 05-03-2012, 05:16 PM
TTC
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey TTC, that's not my car in the picture, and that's not the color combo I'm getting, although the Kyanite Blue is absolutely beautiful. Mine is going to be Indigo Blue, with ivory/charcoal interior.
My bad, that teaches me for not reading all the posts in the thread with due care before firing off a response. Mine's actually indigo too btw, that pic fooled me. I do have a caramel interior, but ivory/ charcoal sounds great too.

Anyway, good luck with your new car, enjoy!

Old 05-03-2012, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by TTC
My bad, that teaches me for not reading all the posts in the thread with due care before firing off a response. Mine's actually indigo too btw, that pic fooled me. I do have a caramel interior, but ivory/ charcoal sounds great too.

Anyway, good luck with your new car, enjoy!
I love the indigo color. However, after seeing some pics of the Kyanite, it certainly caused me to consider it. Ultimately, I decided that the Indigo is richer and more refined, while the Kyanite is sportier and edgy.

Here are couple more pictures of the Kyanite. The car looks like an absolute jewel in this color.

2007 XKR is it worth the money over XK-7122207697_327ae37d08_b%5B1%5D.jpg
2007 XKR is it worth the money over XK-7122213135_f723f8ca17_b%5B1%5D.jpg

amcdonal86 (02-11-2013)