Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2010+ 5.0 XK A/C drain tube / duck bill location

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 07:56 AM
Received 177 Likes on 101 Posts
Default 2010+ 5.0 XK A/C drain tube / duck bill location

After hours of searching for the drain tube with a borescope,
I am connvinced that the location of the duck bill has been moved, on 5.0 XKs.

Has anyone on here corrected this problem
with their 5.0 XK/XKRs?

any info on exhaust removal to access the drain tube?

any info greatly appreciated

I will post pictures once i find it!

Old 05-24-2017, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

Are you having problems with the condensate backing up? The drainage system in the 5.0 liter is different and seemed to be resolved. Not sure if you are searching because you read about the issue or are having the issue. Any system can back up, my previous BMW wasn't known to have clogging issues yet mine stopped up, a very rare occurrence, damn thing would slosh into the fan and rain droplets on my around spirited hard cornering. Which is every corner for me.

Old 05-24-2017, 05:45 PM

yes, im having the water leak through the blower,
on a 2010 5.0xk, my vin # is suppose to have the
updated duck bill but even then it is clogged!

cannot locate it with bore scope, all i see is
carpeting above the transmission and a retainer
bolt.. the design is different from earlier xks..

Old 05-24-2017, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,894 Likes on 1,285 Posts

Originally Posted by tarokyama
all i see is
carpeting above the transmission
You must have gotten the 'Playboy' version of the car if you have carpeting on the bottom side of the car too!

The following 3 users liked this post by kj07xk:
MarkyUK (12-12-2020), Queen and Country (05-24-2017), ralphwg (05-25-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 06:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 590 Likes on 317 Posts

so if its like my 2007 xkr and in the same place, this is the way to go, no messing takes time and not as big a job as you think. Mine had the leak issue before i got the car from previous records. I had a coolant pipe bust on my car driving into the car park at work, lucky for me not on the road, anyway the 2 coolant pipes are under the supercharger. When the mechanic took off the supercharger to replace the 2 pipes he had easy access to the duck bill and cut it off , no more problem there, so i think that's the way to go., just take off the supercharger, it's not that big a job .
To all early owners of the xkr like mine, i would advise getting the 2 coolant pipes under the supercharger changed as these do fail due to fatigue along with the collant thermostate.

Old 05-24-2017, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by kj07xk
You must have gotten the 'Playboy' version of the car if you have carpeting on the bottom side of the car too!
i'm serious though, its the same insulation/covering that on the firewall towards the top of the engine bay
goes all the way down the transmission tunnel as far as i can see

Last edited by trkyam; 05-24-2017 at 06:31 PM.
Old 05-24-2017, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by powerhouse
so if its like my 2007 xkr and in the same place, this is the way to go, no messing takes time and not as big a job as you think. Mine had the leak issue before i got the car from previous records. I had a coolant pipe bust on my car driving into the car park at work, lucky for me not on the road, anyway the 2 coolant pipes are under the supercharger. When the mechanic took off the supercharger to replace the 2 pipes he had easy access to the duck bill and cut it off , no more problem there, so i think that's the way to go., just take off the supercharger, it's not that big a job .
To all early owners of the xkr like mine, i would advise getting the 2 coolant pipes under the supercharger changed as these do fail due to fatigue along with the collant thermostate.
I will snap a picture, but I dont have any cooling pipes back there on the 2010 XK..

Old 05-24-2017, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 590 Likes on 317 Posts

O yea sorry yours is an xk, silly me , well i suppose my post is to all xkr owners.

The following users liked this post:
trkyam (05-24-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 10:34 PM
Received 42 Likes on 14 Posts

yes, im having the water leak through the blower,
on a 2010 5.0xk, my vin # is suppose to have the
updated duck bill but even then it is clogged!
I am in the same boat - 2010 XKR with 36xx VIN, went in with a borescope and couldn't find the duckbill. I think the material on the underside of the transmission tunnel is sound proofing material. I was thiking of putting the car up on a vehicle lift so I can get the borescope between the exhaust and the trans tunnel with better control than I can by crawling under the car....

Old 05-24-2017, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by LosRubios
I am in the same boat - 2010 XKR with 36xx VIN, went in with a borescope and couldn't find the duckbill. I think the material on the underside of the transmission tunnel is sound proofing material. I was thiking of putting the car up on a vehicle lift so I can get the borescope between the exhaust and the trans tunnel with better control than I can by crawling under the car....

Dang... yeah Im thinking of removing part of the exhaust,
please update me if you locate it, and I will do the same!!

Old 06-23-2017, 05:22 PM

Just an update,

I tried to get back in there today, and i'm pretty convinced
the duck bill hole is covered by insulation, which makes it very
difficult to determine the location of the hole.

not sure what my next approach will be..

frustraited..

Old 03-02-2018, 12:22 AM

Just wanted to update everyone interested,
I did locate the duck bill an fixed it! it's quite
easy once you understand where it is, under the carpeting.

on 2010+ jaguars there is sound dampening material cover the hole for the duck bill,
however there is a seam which u can pry open
with your hand and stick your hand in,
i then stuck a tube inside the duck bill withmy finger tips. difficult but doable.

your hand can fit between there from passenger (us cars) side of the vehicle.

The following 2 users liked this post by trkyam:
Redline (08-27-2023), u102768 (03-02-2018)
Old 03-02-2018, 07:37 AM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

on 2010+ jaguars there is sound dampening material cover the hole for the duck bill,
i then stuck a tube inside the duck bill withmy finger tips. difficult but doable.

Thanks for the follow up to something most of us will have to deal with.

Old 04-02-2018, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 560 Likes on 314 Posts

I don't have the water in the footwell yet but do have a very moldy-mildewy smell and it's getting worse so I want to get on this quick.

Questions:
- FYI, mine is a 2010 XKR.
- are you accessing this from the top of the engine bay? Looks like you have an XK, will I have the same accessibility with an XKR? It seems like most of these threads involve dropping the tranny a little and getting in from underneath, but your description sounds different.
- I do have little Donald Trump hands and I'm often able to wriggle in to do little fixes that others can't reach. Were you able to do this without a handmade tool?
- Is there a pic somewhere with a wider shot showing where the insulation carpet is peeled back? The more pics the better.

Thanks!

Old 04-02-2018, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by pk4144
I don't have the water in the footwell yet but do have a very moldy-mildewy smell and it's getting worse so I want to get on this quick.

Questions:
- are you accessing this from the top of the engine bay? Looks like you have an XK, will I have the same accessibility with an XKR? It seems like most of these threads involve dropping the tranny a little and getting in from underneath, but your description sounds different.
- I do have little Donald Trump hands and I'm often able to wriggle in to do little fixes that others can't reach. Were you able to do this without a handmade tool?
- Is there a pic somewhere with a wider shot showing where the insulation carpet is peeled back? The more pics the better.

Thanks!
Before you get into the duck bill 1st determine if you have the problem. A moldy smell can be a bad or clogged cabin filter. You should 1st change that and see how much debris is on it. There is also deodorants you can use to clear out the musty smell. If you have a leak your passenger carpet will be wet to the touch and if a bad one it will be soaked. Do the easy thing 1st.

Old 04-02-2018, 12:51 PM
Received 228 Likes on 126 Posts

Can you post a couple of pics where you located it at. It would help others find it easier if/when needed.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Old 04-02-2018, 01:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 671 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by pk4144

Questions:

Thanks!
Well after researching my vin I realized my 2010 XKR was in the range of the cars that still had duckbill. So I went exploring and sure enough I found it. If you remove plastic engine cover and look down the firewall you will see the black insulation that you have to go inside of. I was not having any smells or water in the foot well I was doing this as preventative maintenance. I will say there was a couple of times when I thought I wasn't going to get my arm back, very tight space to work. I was not able to cut duck bill completely off, but I was able to make a couple of incisions in it that I feel will keep me from having future problems. I tried making the tool that has been posted in other threads and had no luck with it, so I came up with an alternative that worked for me although my finger is just now recovering from it, lol I was only able to really get in there and do it by putting a pad across fender and on top of engine and literally climbing up and getting into a comfortable position (kneeling on top of engine facing rear of car leaning with right arm on windshield using left arm to reach down to cut duck bill). I'm only 5'8" 165lbs average build... All I can say is good luck to you and I am glad I never have to do it again...
Edited to add pic, this is not my car just an internet photo of engine, but the yellow arrow shows you the area where you have to go between engine and firewall behind insulation, the blue arrow is pointing to a small hose clamp that you will want to slide around or it will cut your arm...

Last edited by TexasTraveler; 04-02-2018 at 01:20 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by TexasTraveler:
10XKR (04-02-2018), Norri (04-02-2018), peterv8 (04-03-2018), pk4144 (04-02-2018), u102768 (04-02-2018)
Old 04-02-2018, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by TexasTraveler

Wow dude, we could be brothers (from another mother) !!!

That looks exactly what I would do, you gotta do whatever it takes to get the job done, kudos!

Thanks for the pics!

Cheers,

Dave

The following users liked this post:
pk4144 (04-02-2018)
Old 04-02-2018, 01:54 PM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

The Evaporator Drain Tube P/N changes at VIN B34500:

early P/N C2P16264
late P/N C2P21646

This is the original C2P16264 duckbill:

2010+ 5.0 XK A/C drain tube / duck bill location-duckbill-1.jpg

This photo of C2P21646 from forum sponsor S N G Barratt's website suggests the late models have an improved design:

2010+ 5.0 XK A/C drain tube / duck bill location-duckbill.jpg

It appears to have gone from a closed duckbill to more of an open channel. If this is right, it should eliminate the blocking issue.

Graham

The following 3 users liked this post by GGG:
10XKR (04-02-2018), pk4144 (04-02-2018), u102768 (04-02-2018)
Old 04-03-2018, 06:55 AM

I nominate this thread link to be added to the "How To" sticky thread.

Cheers,

Dave

Quick Reply: 2010+ 5.0 XK A/C drain tube / duck bill location