XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2010 XKR Coupe: long post after ~1 month ownership

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 04:03 PM
Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts
Default 2010 XKR Coupe: long post after ~1 month ownership

I have a new opinion on what I feel are the highlights and defining elements of the car: The combination of the exceptional motor with 500+ HP and tons of torque down low, a flawless transmission, and a split personality exhaust.

Can’t get enough of the adaptive exhaust, it has grown on me and is a favorite feature. Just huge pleasure in going from docile, quiet torque monster that pulls hard and silent at low RPM and then hitting dyno mode and switching to tracDSC and sport shifting (with windows open) and winding out all that horsepower and loud and deep blatting, popping snarling exhaust. Just incredibly fun to have both personalities available, with such insanely different characteristics in one car.

The 5 liter S/C motor is a beast. Insane! Loves to rev, bottomless torque, all things in one package. I’d love to hear a bit of supercharger whine, but I’m too drunk on the exhaust note to care much. Such power, and so docile and flexible. Just a fantastic motor. I do get a slight smell of antifreeze from the engine, coming from the louvers, but the dealer said everything was OK when I had it serviced. Anyone else notice this? Normal?

Ok, the transmission: Amazing. For a traditional tranny it is more than I thought possible. Snappy upshifts the instant you click the paddle. Perfect rev-matched downshifts the other way, instant and flawless. In full auto mode, both in regular and sport, it reads my mind and I never find myself wishing I were in another gear, regardless of what I’m doing.
Otherwise, I continue to dig the looks. I find myself driving past other cars I considered (SL’s, M3’s, S600s, 911s, etc…) and being VERY happy to have picked the Jag. I see SO MANY of these other cars in the S.F. Bay Area that they hardly merit a second look. I’ve only seen one other XK coupe. Frequent is the occasion where I find myself walking back to my car and see people circling the car checking it out or taking a picture with their cell. Lots of double takes as people walk by. More importantly, I love looking it her myself, so many interesting angles. Hard to believe that this will look dated soon, but for now it is all I could ask for in terms of design and interior quality.

The stereo... After a month of use, I find myself wanting more. Bass is good but doesn’t hit hard enough. Mids are perfect, couldn’t ask for more. Highs are ok but not as crisp at high settings as I’ve heard in other high end car stereos. Sound from the rear speakers is particularly disappointing. Given a separate subwoofer and the size and placement of the rear speakers, I assumed they’d be pumping out as much volume and range as the front door speakers. Not the case, as when I put the balance all the way back I only get base frequencies and even then not at high volume. They seem underutilized and underpowered. My biggest issue is with the overall power/volume though. I should NOT have to bump the volume to max EVER. I’d expect to only have to take it to ¾ at most to get enough sound to be in pain and want to back down. But I find that at speed with the a/c on that I on occasion end up maxing out the volume and then being forced to back it down to leave some headroom. I asked the service guy at the dealership and he said the stereo checked out OK. Given the B&W brand, I am surprised at the limitations. Still a good sound system, best mid-range I’ve ever heard in a car, but lacking at the limits.
I picked up a puncture in one of the rear tires, too close to the sidewall to be reparable. With ~7k on her, I didn’t want to buy just one new rear, so replacing both was a must-do. And while I’m at it, why not buy new fronts, and switch to a different and better tire? Tough decision, given the cost and fact that there was plenty of tread left on the stock tires, but I found the stock rubber a bit loud and not a grippy as I’d like. I bit the bullet and replaced all four with new PS2s, my favorite tire on other cars I’ve put them on.

Definitely more silent, grip is definitely better as well. Probably a bad financial decision and the quality difference is subjective (stock was definitely fine), but the PS2 seems to suit me best so I took the plunge.
I find on tight twisting roads that the car does feel a bit heavy and overpowered (if there is such a thing). A slight understeer off throttle maybe. And I’m not 100% confident where the right settings are between tracDSC and race mode. I need to find a forgiving open road where I can find the drift point and see how the car breaks loose.

It says a great deal about the power and speed of the car that after a month I still don’t feel like I’ve found the limits. Usually I have that all figured out after a week or so. The car is fast enough and powerful enough that I don’t feel like I can safely come close to tapping it out on any roads I know. Brakes and steering feel are stellar, but with so much power and grip I know that a better driver could do much more with the car than I can at present. I guess coming anywhere close to using 500 HP on hairpin roads isn’t in the cards any time soon. Maybe all the power is what makes if feel heavy, given the restraint of throttle required in real hairpin twisties. No way to use anywhere close to power limits on tight cornering settings…
Still looking for a good place to get accessories (cargo nets, carpet mats, etc), so if anyone knows of a discount parts place, let me know.
I’m trying to post pictures, but there seems to be something wrong with my account here, I can’t look at my settings or look at other people’s photos. Admin help needed…

Thanks for reading a long rant...

Old 10-29-2011, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 86 Posts

Regarding your wish for finding a road where you can push it to the limit, how far are you from the Bonneville Salt Flats?

Old 10-29-2011, 05:19 PM

LOL...

To be more specific, I am pretty much fully dialed in in terms of the car's capabilities in a straight line or freeway setting. Just not so much in tight corners. Oh, and I haven't slapped on the G-Tech type devices I have to measure real world 0-60 and quarter mile speeds either. Need to find an open, safe, smooth, straight mile of asphalt with little police presence. Not so easy around S.F....

Rolling acceleration I've got down. Between the torque and horsepower it is hard to get caught in a bad position or get taken by surprise by someone trying to cheap-shot on the freeway.

I had what sounded like a modded M3 (current gen) overtake me off a red light on a city street approaching an onramp, jumped me when I was chilling and he shot up the on-ramp at full throttle... As soon as I hit the on-ramp I jumped on it and reeled him in steadily, changing lanes twice to the fast lane (no traffic) and taking him at around 60 and had four or five lengths on him by the time we hit 90. And I was in 'normal' mode, no time to grab sport mode, Dnyo Mode, or tracDSC, which cost be a bit up the onramp, as the rear tires wanted to break loose now and again till I hit 40 or so...

Again, the combination of torque and 500+ HP are a killer and make the XKR much more forgiving when it comes to sudden speed needs in a straight line.

But like I said before, I'm not convinced the car is as well balanced in tight cornering. I guess this is the difference between a very powerful GT like the XKR and a pure sports car like a performance edition 911 or a Lotus, Ferrari, etc. Mid engine, lighter, less capable of the comfort and smoothness of the XKR but probably better in really tight conditions. Am I correct? Or maybe its just harder to pilot the XKR around bends with so much power on tap and I haven't developed the touch yet.

Mind you I've done my share of driving schools, cart racing, etc... I just end up feeling like the R is scary overpowered and slightly heavy and wide around extended twisting roads. A few tight corners that lead to straightaways, no problem. But going from one corner to a hiarpin to another corner to an s curve to a corner, etc, not so comfortable. Feels like I need to hold back more than other alfa-cars I've piloted.

I just don't know intuitively (from the month+ I've had her) what happens if I push in those conditions and I end up feeling like I'm holding back a great deal, begging for a chance to use more of the power.

I guess when you can hit 60+ in second gear in no time and have massive brakes and huge torque, holding back on hairpins is normal. I'm probably just not used to this much surplus power... A good thing to complain/worry about

Anyone with more driving/skill have any advice as to capability and what can be expected of the XKR in a track/winding road? Especially with the new motor, which seems like a big cat waiting to pounce... I'm sure even the 4.2S is a handfull, but a different challenge I'm guessing. Any favorite settings in terms of traction/dyno/sport/manual, etc, in these conditions?

But Chaz, as to salt flats, I'm guessing it'd be an anti climactic rush to 155 where the limiter would kick in. Would love to have that removed... On the right road (in Germany, lol) I've pushed cars passed 155 without much drama and I'm sure the XKR Coupe would be fine well above that speed.

Even though I'm a lawyer (easy guys, I stopped practicing a long time ago!), I don't get the speed governor thing. I mean, if he car will let you go to 155, that's permission enough to get into some serious trouble and the lawsuits would happen accordingly. Having no governor at all doesn't on the face of things seem like it'd make a big legal difference... The 155 limit is obviously not Jaguar giving drivers permission to go 155, nor that the car is safe at that speed. Not having a governor at all likewise isn't a statement by Jaguar that it is OK and safe to go as fast as the car will let you. Seems like a mixed message and I doubt there is legal precedent to force such a limit. Oh, factor in the higher limit on the XKR-S and you see my point... I'm guessing the limit is more of a prestige thing where they then put higher limits on cars like the XKR-S and charge more money for the bragging rights.

While we are on the topic, what's the range of options in terms of mods to the 5S setup? Gotta be a pulley/chip option somewhere... I can't search the site (no access, account restriction for some reason), and haven't found any mention searching manually. There must be someone offering the obvious benefits. Curious what more can be extracted.

Over and out

Old 10-29-2011, 07:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

It sounds like you're probably extracting all the performance you should be on public roads, given the unforeseen that you need to leave a little margin for. I'd sign up for a car control school and learn the limits, and then practice them on the track where you will enjoy them far more than taking risks on public roads. Just my 2 cents

Bruce

Old 10-30-2011, 07:42 AM
Veteran Member

Skeeter,Hard to compare your situation to my experience, as I'm driving an XK not the monster you're running. Having said that, I have noticed mine handles completely differently than my old XK8, which felt and handled more like a sports car than a true GT. Also, your suspension is radically different and no doubt makes curves easier to negotiate when you're pushing it hard. As for the speed limiter, I'm afraid that's one of the more ridiculous governmental intrusions into our lives. Let's face it if things go horribly wrong at 155, the results would not be much different at 165, 185 or 205. It's still game over. Oh well. One thing you might take a look at is the attached link to an episode of Top Gear, when they compared an '08 XKR with an Aston Martin Vantage. It's a fairly long but quite entertaining piece and gives you their take on the handling of the XKR. I know you car is a different animal than the '08 but hearing the Top Gear guy discuss the handling as he's really pushing the car hard is pretty impressive. Enjoy:
Top Gear testing a Jagur XKR vs Aston Martin - YouTube

Old 11-01-2011, 03:09 AM

Yeah, saw the Top Gear a while back and it factored into my purchase of the xkr. I wish they'd do an update to factor in the extra horses though... Same ballpark, but damn is this thing powerful. I wonder if they mention a change in balance of the car, for better or worse.

Ah, one observation I've left out: the climate control system is WAAAY too loud for a car of this caliber. Just the seat coolers cause a loud whoosh, and the a/c, even at the lowest setting, is loud enough to border on intrusive. Surprising. I assumed it'd be MBZ whisper quiet cold air... Maybe the heater is more silent, that'd make it a bit less of a nag.

Night!

Old 11-01-2011, 09:32 AM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

I've noticed some sort of fan/whirring noise that occurs when the car is cold as soon as I get in the car. This is prior to lighting off the engine. I'm wondering if it's some sort of cooling fan that goes along with the LCD display unit. It is not noticeable if it's warmer or if the car has been run. Anyone else notice that?

Old 11-02-2011, 07:13 AM
Veteran Member

Hey Skeeter,
Have you had someone check out the climate control? Mine is very quiet.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:59 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Rahtok
I've noticed some sort of fan/whirring noise that occurs when the car is cold as soon as I get in the car. This is prior to lighting off the engine. I'm wondering if it's some sort of cooling fan that goes along with the LCD display unit. It is not noticeable if it's warmer or if the car has been run. Anyone else notice that?
Mine does it too...probably normal, but would be interested in knowing what it is.

Bruce

Old 11-14-2011, 04:48 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the 2011 Vert XKR - Stepping out of recently a 2007 760LI - AC in hte Jag seats is too loud, I thought I had the roof open somewhere in the back - AC overall fair, Stereo system? I would give it a C at best - I agree, all the way up, especially with top down, does not always get me music at 100+MPH, let alone 80... Also, I feel the car's front end light at high speeds, and I feel fairly comfy in this dept. Bower Wilkins? Never again, in a car, house, boat or anywhere. Totally overrated. And I would LOVE to see Top Gear update their review. I LOVE the car, just know what I need to change, and limiter is crap - Top speed on the XKR is rumored to be ~188-191 and over 200 on the S

Last edited by SkipM; 11-14-2011 at 04:59 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:25 AM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

There's a company that'll do an ECU flash and rev limiter removal for you. The SQ of the stereo is actually pretty good. But you're right, there's no real volume to it once the top goes down.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:45 PM

Yes, the whoosh of he seat coolers is way loud. In the coupe, with a passenger and at low speeds, having pretty much any a/c going on is distractingly loud. I'll often shut the entire system off and am amazed how much more silent the car is. Constant white noise, sounds like it is coming from the back of the car.

I'm happy with the way the stereo picks up from where it left off, and love the way it automatically pauses when you turn the volume way down, and resumes when you turn it back up, very intelligent touch. But yes, the B&W system is a let down. Needs a good 25% more power and WAY more down low. Given the trunk size of both the coupe and the vert, you'd think bass would be huge. Again, I'm totally baffled at why the rear speakers do so little. Especially given their intrusive placement. That's where the bass should be coming from, not some weird setup under the passenger kick panel. They could have put in some heavy 8" drivers in the back seat and ducted them to the trunk. Don't get it, such a big brand as B&W, you'd think they'd have higher standards as to what their name goes on...

Overall the interface is OK though, better than reviews make it out to be. I'm pretty good at controlling everything without looking, used to the slight pause and no real complaints. Though I find myself wondering why ANY car manufacturer would build all that interface themselves rather than just dropping an iPad/iPhone/Ipod Touch into the dash, drop an app or two, and leave the navigation/audio etc to Apple, who have obviously figured all this out already. I find myself digging my iPhone out of the console and manually dialing numbers, or unplugging it to find a track and hitting play and plugging it back in... To say nothing of mapping, screen quality, Pandora etc... Wish the phone was the interface.

I'm still intoxicated with the engine sound. There are times when I wish I had the vert for just the sound alone. Dropping the top in a tunnel or canyon and stomping on the gas must sound even better... Truly the cure to the stereo's shortcomings, I usually listen to the soundtrack of the exhaust blat and roar instead of anything the speakers can produce.

Anyone else finding that the driver's seat is wearing a bit prematurely? I got my 2010 with only 4k miles on it and it already had wear marks on the left bolster and the surface leather almost worn through on the left side of the seat bottom. Seems impossible in the ~5 months it was in use before I bought her. Anyone else have this issue? If so, I'll push it with the dealer. If not, I'll see if a good detailing takes care of it.

Oh, other obvious observations/impressions after a month or two... The blind spots on the coupe are CRAZY large. I guess that's the cost of those beautiful curves and gorgeously sloping roof line. But damn is it serious work to keep track of what's back there in a chaotic city environment. I'm a black belt at situational awareness if I say so myself, but still a job and a half to always be clear on what's up around the passenger side rear. Is the convertible as challenging? With the top up, of course top down solves visibility issues and then some.

That and not being comfortable with the size. The parking sensors are frustratingly aimed way high, not helpful so much...

I can tell without the sensors that there is a wall and how close I am to it, but I'd love to have it tell me how close the curb/concrete block is so I don't scrub the nose or f*(k up the rims as I approach. For some reason I find the coupe harder to park precisely with confidence than any other car I've owned. Maybe partially paranoia over never having to worry about putting a blemish on a car this beautiful. The '11's having a rear camera must help, but positioning the sensors lower/at an angle would have gone a long way.

Toying with putting some chrome on her... Given that she is silver already I think some chrome touches will not be overly flashy. Mad @ the Jag chrome louver option that requires you to have it custom painted, I'm tempted to buy a set of stock louvers and have the plastic chromed, swap them out and keep the stock part. Probably cheaper than buying the chromed part with paint costs, and I think it'd look good 100% chromed.

Trying to visualize the side body vents in chrome also. Looks like a few options, from polished aluminum replacement units to chrome caps that stick on with tape. Less obvious than the louvers but might still be a nice touch.

Of course then why not look into chrome rims? Argh! Too much? Gets enough attention already, almost too much.

Old 11-16-2011, 03:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Thanks ,I appreciate your messages, they may be long but not wrong I mean they can give unbiased feedbacks for potential buyers and details .

Last edited by Cadillac; 11-17-2011 at 04:35 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-16-2011, 01:50 PM

Thanks Regent... I do get a bit carried away with these posts sometimes but it is good to know that someone is reading.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:18 AM
Veteran Member

I'm sometimes fairly impressed with the sound, and other times not. My wife's ipod music had little bass, but CDs sound much fuller. I'm going to calibrate the system with an audiophile test CD and sound pressure meter to see what its lower frequency response range is, and then adjust sub/bass/treble to see if a fairly flat response is possible. I haven't had a chance yet to do any critical listening of well-recorded music, but I have a feeling it's not going to do too badly given the challenging acoustical environment.

But regardless of how the audio sounds, or the slightly intrusive seat fan when in use, or the blind spot with convertible top up, this car is really impressive on the street and the race track, and exactly what I wanted. But then I also loved my last XK for 8 years and it just had an 8 Track, no A/C, a leaky top...and the only reliable heat was what radiated off the transmission tunnel ...whether you wanted heat or not!

I considered many other cars as well, but while they were surely superior in some ways, they weren't in the areas that I cared most about...and I suspect that's the case no matter what you choose.

Bruce