XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2012 Transmission fluid questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 01:45 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2012 Transmission fluid questions

So I've looked over most of the transmission posts and wanted to verify a couple things. Have a 2012 with 46k miles that have no idea if fluid has been changed or not. So with this being said, can you all recommend which fluid should be used for this year/car...I am in the US if that helps.

Also been noticing some harder than normal shifts recently so wanting to know if should use a different type of fluid or a better one for cleaning, etc.

Appreciate the help/advice.

Old 01-26-2018, 02:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by DublDwn
So I've looked over most of the transmission posts and wanted to verify a couple things. Have a 2012 with 46k miles that have no idea if fluid has been changed or not. So with this being said, can you all recommend which fluid should be used for this year/car...I am in the US if that helps.

Also been noticing some harder than normal shifts recently so wanting to know if should use a different type of fluid or a better one for cleaning, etc.

Appreciate the help/advice.
I would stick with ZF fluid for the gearbox that is in the car. Go to their web site. Also with 46K miles I would assume it was not changed as Jaguar says "sealed for life" but ZF says change at 60-90K miles. My 2012 in normal driving mode shift seamlessly unless you are using the paddles or in S mode.

Old 01-26-2018, 04:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Buy a transmission pan/oil/filter kit from only an authorized ZF reseller and have an indy do the work. The dealership can supply the parts and service albeit at a much higher price. I have read there is counterfeit ZF fluid on the market, so pick your vendor accordingly.

I have done this service on two Jags and is around $500 all in. On my XK it was changed at 20K miles due to cracked transmission pan which is plastic and known to crack.

Old 01-26-2018, 04:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,166 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Give this a read. Pay particular attention to the attachments.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ooting-191572/

It's the same thread as the sticky at the top of our forum page but i added a couple more docs and they didn't get copied over.

Bottom line is ZF recommend 80k miles or 8 years, whichever comes first. Fewer miles if you drive it hard. Clearly with your mileage, you don't.

Save your $$$$. Change it in 2020. Whenever you get your engine oil changed, take a look see underneath for leaks. They're easy to spot and will also be on your garage floor.

When you do change it, you are fine to go with Mercon SP fluid (again, read the attachments in the link) as the spaces are the same, but if you do switch brands, go with a complete flush, including the converter. Don't mix fluids!

Personally, I stick with the ZF fluid. It's expensive but we're talking once every 8 years or 80k miles. I bought mine on eBay and did the work myself but I have the tools so not a big deal for me.

Yes the pans are plastic. They do just fine and are not prone to breaking. These trannys are used in Audi's BMW's Hyundai's as well. There are millions of them out there.

You can also get metal pans for more $ if it puts your mind at ease but your beastie is already 6 years old and it doesn't sound like you have a problem.

Good luck but in my opinion, you're good for a couple more years.

Now if you're looking to spend money, coolant should have been flushed and changed last year (5 year lifespan on OATS), though I think newer models like yours have a longer life recommendation. I have no idea why though as the product hasn't changed.

Brake fluid should have been flushed 3 times (once every two years)

Last edited by Sean W; 01-26-2018 at 04:36 PM.
Old 01-26-2018, 05:00 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I appreciate this, great help and makes sense. I think I was just curious in regards to the harder shifting noticing lately a slower speeds so wasn't sure if it was something in regards to fluid or? To be clear, I just purchased this car three months ago so have no idea how the previous owner handled it.

Old 01-26-2018, 06:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,166 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Originally Posted by DublDwn
I appreciate this, great help and makes sense. I think I was just curious in regards to the harder shifting noticing lately a slower speeds so wasn't sure if it was something in regards to fluid or? To be clear, I just purchased this car three months ago so have no idea how the previous owner handled it.
If the shift behavior is significant to you, then by all means do a change. I should have lead wth that emphasis. I would follow the previous advice from Jagtoes and Mosesbotbol and stick with ZF. Mercon is the same spec but I wouldn't define it as better. There are some subtle nuances that are taken into account when programming the TCM that are based in part on the fluid used, hence ZF strongly encourages only the use of their fluid.

Follow the routine change recommendation, even if early (hey you gotta sleep at night right?). That's not a complete flush. If you then don't notice a improvement, the next step would be a re flash of the TCM. In the scheme of things, neither is expensive.

EDIT: First, as Jagtoes indicates, are you in Sport mode? Second is it colder in Cincinnati than normal? Does it only happen in the cold weather? Does it only happen when the car is warming up and does it improve when the transmission gets to normal operating temperature? What gears is the hard shift occurring? Before acting on any of these things, I would check for any DTC codes.

Last edited by Sean W; 01-27-2018 at 08:48 AM.