XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

2013 XKR Purchase- Maintenance Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 09:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 243 Likes on 169 Posts
Default 2013 XKR Purchase- Maintenance Question

Hi everyone,

My father is looking into purchasing a 2013 XKR, and I'm helping him out. This particular car has just over 2k miles on it, so its practically new.

In reviewing the CarFax report, I noticed that the "Engine/powertrain computer/module" was replaced under warranty at about 1800 miles.

First of all, is there anyway to tell exactly what they're referencing without looking at the service history? If so, is this something I should be concerned about? The battery has also been replaced, but given how much it sat, and the known issues in that department, I'm not really concerned about that.

I've read through here a bit and haven't come across any common issues besides the battery/charging system. Am I missing anything for 2012/2013 cars?

Thanks!

Old 03-18-2015, 10:27 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 926 Likes on 607 Posts

I've seen modules reprogramed and replaced in these cars with low mileage. When I bought my 2013 XKR with 300 miles I had to have the infotainment module shipped to New Jersey for reprogramming because it froze during an update. To day I'm more than happy with the car (1.5 years later). Contact the dealership that did the module replacement and talk to the service rep. They will be able to explain why it was replaced. The selling dealer may need to authorize the service dealership to disclose the information to you. A good selling dealer will be more than helpful and will not discourage you from securing the information you desire. Also, make sure this car was never used as a press car. A lot of press cars are abused and auctioned to Jaguar dealerships and resold as corporate executive cars (this is done to bury the abuse). Do your due diligence and don't settle for anything but full disclosure. As the buyer you are in control until you sign. Do what you have to before you sign or condition the sale on your terms (subject to purchasers full satisfaction). You can add any condition you want. After all a Purchase and Sale agreement is for your protection too; so, protect yourself. If a dealership is unwilling to accept your conditions than don't sign until you satisfy your condition outside of their contract--don't be a victim and be pressured into signing sometime that doesn't protect you.

I would not be too concerned about the module replacement, but it is something you need to investigate. Now is the time to scrutinize not after you buy the car. This maybe a common service on the carfax report for these cars. I know when I was considering my car I came across similar service items on different carfax reports for these cars.

Last edited by DGL; 03-18-2015 at 10:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (03-20-2015)
Old 03-18-2015, 11:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DGL
I've seen modules reprogramed and replaced in these cars with low mileage. When I bought my 2013 XKR with 300 miles I had to have the infotainment module shipped to New Jersey for reprogramming because it froze during an update. To day I'm more than happy with the car (1.5 years later). Contact the dealership that did the module replacement and talk to the service rep. They will be able to explain why it was replaced. The selling dealer may need to authorize the service dealership to disclose the information to you. A good selling dealer will be more than helpful and will not discourage you from securing the information you desire. Also, make sure this car was never used as a press car. A lot of press cars are abused and auctioned to Jaguar dealerships and resold as corporate executive cars (this is done to bury the abuse). Do your due diligence and don't settle for anything but full disclosure. As the buyer you are in control until you sign. Do what you have to before you sign or condition the sale on your terms (subject to purchasers full satisfaction). You can add any condition you want. After all a Purchase and Sale agreement is for your protection too; so, protect yourself. If a dealership is unwilling to accept your conditions than don't sign until you satisfy your condition outside of their contract--don't be a victim and be pressured into signing sometime that doesn't protect you.

I would not be too concerned about the module replacement, but it is something you need to investigate. Now is the time to scrutinize not after you buy the car. This maybe a common service on the carfax report for these cars. I know when I was considering my car I came across similar service items on different carfax reports for these cars.
Thanks for your thorough answer DGL.

The car was listed as a personal lease vehicle, so I'm assuming its safe to say it wasn't a press car. Also, it was leased and serviced by the same dealer that's now offering it for sale. So I should be able to get a good idea of the vehicle's past. The prior owner went ahead and had the 15,000 mile service performed after a year/1000mi of ownership- so I'm thinking that is a sign that they took good care of the car. It's Indigo Blue, with Charcoal/Ivory stitching interior.

As my father and I are in Chicago, I want to try and find out as much as possible before flying out to CA.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by 01Silverstone
Thanks for your thorough answer DGL.

The car was listed as a personal lease vehicle, so I'm assuming its safe to say it wasn't a press car. Also, it was leased and serviced by the same dealer that's now offering it for sale. So I should be able to get a good idea of the vehicle's past. The prior owner went ahead and had the 15,000 mile service performed after a year/1000mi of ownership- so I'm thinking that is a sign that they took good care of the car. It's Indigo Blue, with Charcoal/Ivory stitching interior.

As my father and I are in Chicago, I want to try and find out as much as possible before flying out to CA.
Do we assume this is a Jaguar CPO car.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

My concern would be that the problem that led to the module replacement has been fully addressed, since the car has had only 200 miles or so since the repair.

I agree, you should get the details from the servicing dealer of what the problem symptoms were, and then drive the car enough prior to buying it to make sure the issues were addressed. I would push for a test drive that lets you keep the car at least overnight.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Excellent advice from DGL. That service was most likely a 12 month/xx mile service interval requirement. I recall having to do a major service on mine based on age even though I was well under the mileage part of it.

I'd be curious why a leased car would be returned so early. Perhaps the owner traded for an F-Type and they made it easy for him.

Good luck with the research and purchase! Lovely cars.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Is the car in CA, southern or northern? Maybe some of us in CA, depending on where the car is could take a look for you.

Old 03-19-2015, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

As long as warranty will still be active for you to shake out any lingering items, you'll be fine.

Old 03-19-2015, 10:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Do we assume this is a Jaguar CPO car.
Yes, it is a CPO car. Here is the link to the Autotrader ad (with Carfax) and a few photos.

Cars for Sale: 2013 Jaguar XK R Convertible in San Jose, CA 95129: Convertible Details - 395605080 - Autotrader

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
My concern would be that the problem that led to the module replacement has been fully addressed, since the car has had only 200 miles or so since the repair.

I agree, you should get the details from the servicing dealer of what the problem symptoms were, and then drive the car enough prior to buying it to make sure the issues were addressed. I would push for a test drive that lets you keep the car at least overnight.
I'll try to drive it as much as I can while I'm out there, and try to get more details on the reason for the repair.

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
Excellent advice from DGL. That service was most likely a 12 month/xx mile service interval requirement. I recall having to do a major service on mine based on age even though I was well under the mileage part of it.

I'd be curious why a leased car would be returned so early. Perhaps the owner traded for an F-Type and they made it easy for him.

Good luck with the research and purchase! Lovely cars.
From what I understand from speaking to the dealer, it was a 24-month lease, so I think that explains the short tenure.

Originally Posted by tberg
Is the car in CA, southern or northern? Maybe some of us in CA, depending on where the car is could take a look for you.
The car is located at Jaguar Land Rover San Jose, formerly British Motors I believe. If my father decides he wants to move forward with the purchase, I would greatly appreciate any assistance!

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
As long as warranty will still be active for you to shake out any lingering items, you'll be fine.
It is a CPO car, so hopefully I'll have warranty coverage for quite awhile.

Thanks for all of the responses everyone!

Attached Thumbnails 2013 XKR Purchase- Maintenance Question-img_4490.jpg   2013 XKR Purchase- Maintenance Question-img_4489-1.jpg   2013 XKR Purchase- Maintenance Question-img_4485-1.jpg  

Last edited by 01Silverstone; 03-19-2015 at 11:02 PM.
Old 03-20-2015, 03:33 PM
Veteran Member

Update- my father saw an Indigo Blue car today, and decided he doesn't like the color in person. He will only settle for Italian Racing Red. So.. the hunt continues!

Old 03-20-2015, 04:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Update- my father saw an Indigo Blue car today, and decided he doesn't like the color in person. He will only settle for Italian Racing Red. So.. the hunt continues!

Has he seen the red in person?

Old 03-20-2015, 04:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

I don't blame him. Color is important especially when laying out 70 large! There are plenty of late model XKs out there. Get the one you want and make sure it is totally original with NO PAINT WORK. Good luck...be patient and you will find the right car.

01Silverstone (03-20-2015)
Old 03-20-2015, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
Has he seen the red in person?
Today he did, actually. I personally like the Indigo Blue better, but I don't mind the Italian Racing Red. With a charcoal/red-stich interior and aluminum veneer, it looks pretty nice. I've located an unsold 2014 out east that is exactly what he wants, but I'm not sure he's willing to shell out that much cash.

2014 Jaguar, Land Rover XK XKR - Jaguar, Land Rover dealer in Washington DC Maryland ? New and Used Jaguar, Land Rover dealership serving Alexandria VA Tysons Corner VA Rockville Bethesda Maryland

Its already discounted heavily, so I'm assuming they want to move the car.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:08 PM
Veteran Member

Today he did, actually. I personally like the Indigo Blue better, but I don't mind the Italian Racing Red. With a charcoal/red-stich interior and aluminum veneer, it looks pretty nice. I've located an unsold 2014 out east that is exactly what he wants, but I'm not sure he's willing to shell out that much cash.

2014 Jaguar, Land Rover XK XKR - Jaguar, Land Rover dealer in Washington DC Maryland ? New and Used Jaguar, Land Rover dealership serving Alexandria VA Tysons Corner VA Rockville Bethesda Maryland

Its already discounted heavily, so I'm assuming they want to move the car.
Looks just like mine and from my time to find one very rare. Good luck.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:49 PM
Veteran Member

Looks just like mine and from my time to find one very rare. Good luck.
How long did it take you to find your car? Just based on the current inventory out there, it would seem Italian racing red is the most difficult color to find. Everyone wants white or black it would seem!

Old 03-20-2015, 09:22 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 926 Likes on 607 Posts

Personally I like the blue. Especially with yellow callipers and Ivory interior. I'm also liking the Italian red. I completely understand someone's color choice as a deal breaker. When I was looking for my XKR I would not settle for anything but black, coupe, dynamic pack and performance exhaust. I was lucky to find one with only 300 miles which was previously bought by a 78 year old billionaire in West Palm Beach, Florida which I got for a good deal.

The car of choice will show up, be patient.

Old 03-20-2015, 09:38 PM
Veteran Member

How long did it take you to find your car? Just based on the current inventory out there, it would seem Italian racing red is the most difficult color to find. Everyone wants white or black it would seem!
Took me 6 months and based on some of the info from this group I figured it was 1 of a dozen IRR convertibles made in 2012. The ones you most find are Black , gray and white. My 2nd choice was Blue but none of them came up. The other issue was my budget but when it came up it cost me more then I wanted to spend. Now 6 months later one came up for $7K less but with 25K miles on it. Mine only had 6700 miles on it. Happy hunting

Old 03-20-2015, 10:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Love the IRR. In fact, I have I have three sports cars in various shades of red including my 2002 XKR, my 1972 De Tomaso Pantera, and my 1978 Datsun 280Z. Everything looks good in red. My silver 2010 XKR coupe's color is so boring in comparison. Good luck in your search.

Attached Thumbnails 2013 XKR Purchase- Maintenance Question-dscf0522-1280x960-.jpg   2013 XKR Purchase- Maintenance Question-vp__4041-1024x683-.jpg   2013 XKR Purchase- Maintenance Question-280z.jpg  
Old 03-20-2015, 11:55 PM
Veteran Member

Took me 6 months and based on some of the info from this group I figured it was 1 of a dozen IRR convertibles made in 2012. The ones you most find are Black , gray and white. My 2nd choice was Blue but none of them came up. The other issue was my budget but when it came up it cost me more then I wanted to spend. Now 6 months later one came up for $7K less but with 25K miles on it. Mine only had 6700 miles on it. Happy hunting
Wow. I would assume those same production estimates most likely apply to 2013/2014 as well. I wonder if there is anywhere to get the exact data on the number of cars for each MY by color?

Update- I reached out to Jaguar NA Customer Service. I will see if they're able to answer the question.

Last edited by 01Silverstone; 03-21-2015 at 12:10 AM.
Old 03-21-2015, 12:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

I think there are two 2014/2015 IRRs in the Palm Springs, CA area. Neither of them are XKRs one is new and one has about 1800 miles on it. Here is the URL: Jaguar XK Base Convertible 2 Door | eBay

Quick Reply: 2013 XKR Purchase- Maintenance Question