XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

303 or RaggTopp - which do you use ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 12:59 PM
Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Wow well I guess it's up for debate - lol. Seems like both have a very good following, and can't really go wrong with either. I'm going to go ahead and order the RaggTopp this go round and see how I like the results. The XK really does not come out in the rain, and mostly getting it for the UV benefit more so than the beading - but will see how it does with both.

Old 06-07-2017, 01:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,155 Likes on 3,088 Posts

If you have the Jag Wrangler remote top, you can't stop the top in mid-movement. At least not to my knowledge.

Old 06-07-2017, 02:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,890 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
If you have the Jag Wrangler remote top, you can't stop the top in mid-movement. At least not to my knowledge.
You can stop the top movement by popping the trunk/boot open, as I've done that, thinking I could put groceries in the trunk while the top opened. The top stopped until I closed the trunk/boot, and I don't recall if it restarted by itself or if I had to push the button again.

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (06-07-2017)
Old 06-07-2017, 03:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,155 Likes on 3,088 Posts

Originally Posted by kj07xk
You can stop the top movement by popping the trunk/boot open, as I've done that, thinking I could put groceries in the trunk while the top opened. The top stopped until I closed the trunk/boot, and I don't recall if it restarted by itself or if I had to push the button again.
Aw yeah, I remember that happening now.

Old 06-07-2017, 03:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

Good point for those few.

Old 06-08-2017, 07:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

I actually used the old sheet (king size bed unfitted sheet) method and closed the top with no difficulty. The sheet protected the chrome/stainless trim, glass and paint. Then I used the brush method. Oh, and to hold sheet down I used blue painter's tape.

Old 06-08-2017, 08:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Thanks for all the accolades. Greatly appreciated.

For those members who have not seen this thread, I highly suggest you spend a few minutes to review.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ospace-170675/

While some members may not drive their convertibles in the rain and store their vehicle in the garage, not only does the 303 Fabric Guard product protect the top from the elements of rain, it also protects from the sun. The sun can fade the color of the top and sun can cause dry rot over a period of time. The 303 Fabric Guard product will bring the color of the top back to life.

Since the cost of the 303 Fabric Guard product is so low and the process I suggested takes a minimal amount of time to complete, I would highly recommend the owner of any convertible use my process suggested to maintain the quality of the convertible top.

While the cost of the 303 Fabric Guard is less than $25.00 a new convertible top could cost in excess of $4000.

You will not be disappointed in any way.

Old 06-08-2017, 09:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 545 Likes on 364 Posts

Not dissing RaggTopp but it did little to help on my top. Used a full can in the end but still had a lot of soaking with some water beading present. I don't think it is the product's fault at all, more a PO seems to have used a pressure washer on it and stripped it of its original protective coating.

So ordered some 303 today and will employ the brush application method to finish the job.

For those who wonder if it is really important to protect the top, I can say this: Water that can leach through the outer layer of the top naturally pools near the rear window at the fender. There it can work its way between the fender metal and paint coat. This is the case on my newly purchased vert and now has some minor paint blistering on both sides of the car. I hope recoating/protecting the top will arrest this but it is an unknown at this time. Best advise here is, keep the top protected even if your kitty doesn't see much rain.....it does get washed and water is water. Just sayin!

mosesbotbol (06-09-2017)
Old 06-09-2017, 06:27 AM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Over here in the UK I use cheaper but very effective products. I clean and waterproof my top twice a year.

1. Use a dry brush to clean away dust and crud. You can also use a vacuum
2. Thoroughly wet the roof with a steady water hose, not a pressure hose
3. Clean any unsightly marks or mould with a solution of warm water and Johnsons Baby Bottle Sterilizing Tablets, applied with a stiff toothbrush and worked well in
4. Clean the entire top using water and Johnsons Baby Bath using a stiff floor brush, working it in well and getting it to foam up
5. Rinse off well and, if felt necessary, repeat
6. Allow to dry
7. I use old sheets tucked into windows and with clothes pegs to cover the glass and near bodywork
8. Using a product called Fabsil (also available in USA), I apply the liquid with a paintbrush in broad strokes across and along the top
9. Allow eight hours to dry

Result is a well-waterproofed top, looking good and beading well

ralphwg (06-10-2017)