XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Iphone 7 contact list and my bluetooth

Old 05-28-2017, 11:06 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Iphone 7 contact list and my bluetooth

Had problems loading my phone contact list in my car with my new Iphone7.

Tried two more phones, the entire list loaded on both. At that point, ATT swapped phones with me, but I still could not load the T-U part of my list.

Come to find out, and perhaps this is written, our car will only load up to 750 contact in it's library.

Once I deleted 300 names, it loaded fine and is all good.

FYI

The following users liked this post:
Sean W (05-28-2017)
Old 05-28-2017, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,164 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by drbbop

Come to find out, and perhaps this is written, our car will only load up to 750 contact in it's library.

Once I deleted 300 names, it loaded fine and is all good.

FYI
I think if I added up all the people I've known in my life, it might not come to 750.

Old 05-28-2017, 08:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

The real problem with loading in your contact list is that almost everybody has multiple numbers such as office, home , mobile, fax and those with multiple homes compound the problem even more. I have cut my contact list by 50% and still cannot load all my contacts into the XKR. Solution, have my phone on a magnetized clamp mounted through the CD slot and can get those numbers not in the XK off the phone itself.

drbbop (05-28-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 04:05 AM
Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Unless you need every number to be available in the car, I set up a group in the phone's contact lists called 'Car Phone' and tag this phonebook entries that I want in the car to that list. It is then just a straightforward process of telling the iPhone to just sync the 'Car Phone' list to the vehicle.

The following 2 users liked this post by Geoff C:
drbbop (05-29-2017), Ngarara (06-03-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 06:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean W
I think if I added up all the people I've known in my life, it might not come to 750.
Hahaha in my work life I had maybe 300 contacts but after retiring it went down to around 50 and 15 of them are for golf courses and another 10 for restaurants.

Sean W (05-29-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 04:03 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

jagtoes I am looking for that day!

Old 06-02-2017, 10:13 AM
Received 420 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by ralphwg
The real problem with loading in your contact list is that almost everybody has multiple numbers such as office, home , mobile, fax and those with multiple homes compound the problem even more. I have cut my contact list by 50% and still cannot load all my contacts into the XKR. Solution, have my phone on a magnetized clamp mounted through the CD slot and can get those numbers not in the XK off the phone itself.
Ralph - I've always wondered how that CD slot mount would work. Doesn't your CD player try to "continually load" the CD? Do these CD holders carry the ralphwg seal of approval?

I've used a vent mount for my phone, but in the summer the phone feels like it's been in a freezer when I remove it, and the one vent that makes sense to use is the same vent that directs most of the AC towards me.

Finally, like Jagtoes, I trimmed the heck out of my contact list when I retired. I just exported them to a spreadsheet so I've got them backed up if I need them, but it does make looking through the smaller contact list a whole lot speedier. So I've got that going for me ... which is nice.

Old 06-03-2017, 12:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

Kurt - The only impact on the cd player is that you have to remove the clamp when you want to change a disc. I have two of the clamps. The second one I put in the wife's SUV for when we are using it to tote Grandkids, etc. The second one has a push button to easily install and remove the magnetic clamp. I bought them both through Amazon. For me it's a great solution and not very expensive either.

LoudHogRider (06-03-2017)
Old 06-03-2017, 02:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

I use them as well. I have one in my XKR and one in my wife's Audi S4. I don't tend to use the inbuilt sat nav in the XKR any more because the nav apps on phones are so much better and more up to date.

LoudHogRider (06-03-2017)
Old 06-03-2017, 04:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoff C
Unless you need every number to be available in the car, I set up a group in the phone's contact lists called 'Car Phone' and tag this phonebook entries that I want in the car to that list. It is then just a straightforward process of telling the iPhone to just sync the 'Car Phone' list to the vehicle.
Now that's a tidy solution - my phone book is massive because I keep a lot of historic work contacts in there, just in case I need them.

For those that need a how-to for the 'limited sync' on an iPhone (iOS 10):
  • Settings > Bluetooth > Jaguar (i) [that's the Info button next to the name]
  • Select the Car Phone list, or whatever you called it, rather than "All Contacts"

You'll probably find it easier to add contacts to the list on your laptop rather than the phone. And the name of the Bluetooth device might be 'Jaguar' or something else, particularly if you have changed it!

I usually use Siri to initiate calls - much easier than trying to manipulate the phone. But this is a useful alternative if Siri is being obtuse.

Last edited by Ngarara; 06-03-2017 at 04:23 AM.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:05 AM
Received 420 Likes on 205 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ralphwg
Kurt - The only impact on the cd player is that you have to remove the clamp when you want to change a disc. I have two of the clamps. The second one I put in the wife's SUV for when we are using it to tote Grandkids, etc. The second one has a push button to easily install and remove the magnetic clamp. I bought them both through Amazon. For me it's a great solution and not very expensive either.
My
CD slot phone holder CD slot phone holder
arrived Tuesday via Amazon. They work like a charm. The wife's arrives today. Thanks for the reassurance that these products are apropos for our rides.