XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

5.0 L XKR engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 09:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts
Default 5.0 L XKR engine

It appears that the 2010 XKR that I was looking at that was getting ready to throw a rod is going to have its engine rebuilt at the owner's extended warranty's expense. So, it will be an essentially new car. We'll know for sure in the next day or so. In the meantime, in case they weren't going to cover it, I was considering making a very low offer and then looking for another engine. My mechanic called me today and said that he had found an engine from a wrecked XKR with only 6000 miles on it for $6000. I thought that was an incredibly low price, and I told him to make sure it wasn't from a flood salvage car. He suggested buying it as a spare since he knows I keep cars forever and do a lot of driving. I doubt that I want a spare sitting around in my storage, but I still think it's a helluva a buy if it checks out.

We'll see what happens in the next few days as well as see what the insurance is going to cover before I make any decisions as to whether or not I purchase the car or the engine. But, if anyone's interested, let me know, and after my decision is made, I'll get more information.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Best of luck. I don't know what the point of having a spare engine in a car like this is. Chances are, it will be 20 years before you'll need it!

Old 03-24-2014, 11:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
It appears that the 2010 XKR that I was looking at that was getting ready to throw a rod is going to have its engine rebuilt at the owner's extended warranty's expense. So, it will be an essentially new car. We'll know for sure in the next day or so. In the meantime, in case they weren't going to cover it, I was considering making a very low offer and then looking for another engine. My mechanic called me today and said that he had found an engine from a wrecked XKR with only 6000 miles on it for $6000. I thought that was an incredibly low price, and I told him to make sure it wasn't from a flood salvage car. He suggested buying it as a spare since he knows I keep cars forever and do a lot of driving. I doubt that I want a spare sitting around in my storage, but I still think it's a helluva a buy if it checks out.

We'll see what happens in the next few days as well as see what the insurance is going to cover before I make any decisions as to whether or not I purchase the car or the engine. But, if anyone's interested, let me know, and after my decision is made, I'll get more information.
Unless your getting this 2010 XKR for a real bargain, I would walk away. While the engine may go through a rebuild and you may consider it as a new car, it is not. Rebuilt engines can still have continuing problems. The rebuild must be perfect.

Suggestion would be patient and continue to hunt. There are many 2009's-2010's available, with lower mileage. You may have to consider transportation of a car from another state. Why not get an XKR that does not have to be torn apart repaired than passed on to you. One problem can easily lead to another. The end result may be higher expenses for repairs and lots of frustration.

If the 2010 is/was low priced which is attracting you to it, then there is probably more to the story than what you know.

Jaguar XKR XKR | eBay

Jaguar XK XKR | eBay

Jaguar XK XKR | eBay

Jaguar XKR Supercharged | eBay

Jaguar XK R Coupe | eBay

Just some ideas.....Just an opinon.