Sponsored by: DashLynx

AM Radio stopped working!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 07:59 PM
Received 47 Likes on 21 Posts

Same issue on my 2010 X150

Old 04-24-2017, 03:31 PM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Having the same issue here recently with '07 XKR. AM only not working, FM bands, CD all fine. Will check the splitter module and advise. No static, just nothing. Changing bands with the touch screen works, just no sound.

The following users liked this post:
Ozmag (04-24-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 10:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

I am having the same issue with Sirius on an intermittent basis. Eventually I can get it working again. Not ready to go back to the dealer on warranty yet.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:54 AM
Default Radio problems

I have done some study of the wiring diagram and I believe the problem with a failed AM radio / misbehaving FM radio can be traced to the IBOC Tuner supplied by Visteon. This part was new with model year 2009/2010 in order to support HD radio and may have developed a flutter in earlier cars. My Jaguar dealer told me of another 2010 XK locally with the same symptoms as I had which was repaired by a swap of the IBOC Tuner.

Jaguar had two part numbers for this part: 7W93-19C034-AE and ...035-AE. I am working on figuring out which is the later issue.

Last edited by twhumphrey; 04-25-2017 at 09:57 AM.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by twhumphrey
My Jaguar dealer told me of another 2010 XK locally with the same symptoms as I had which was repaired by a swap of the IBOC Tuner.
There was an issue with the early 5.0L cars and Jaguar issued a technical note about it. The VIN cutoffs for when the issue was fixed in the factory is attached:

Models
X150 - XK
X250 - XF

Title XK and XF AM Frequency Band No Sound

Concern:
AM band in the IAM (Integrated Audio Module) inoperable without sound. All other functions, FM and CD audio, operating to design intent.

Cause:
An internal fault of the AM tuner circuit in the IAM.

Action:
Prior to replacing the IAM or any other component of the vehicle's antenna system, check and confirm:
· the FM band is operating correctly and has audio
· CD play is working and has audio
· AM has no audio and when the seek button is pressed stations will not be found.

After confirming the system is operating in the above manor, further diagnosis is not necessary. The IAM will need to be replaced. Continue with submitting a FRED for the IAM.

Containment:
This concern has been fixed in production, and all obsolete parts have been purged from the parts system.

Attached Thumbnails AM Radio stopped working!-no-am.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by u102768:
7500ftJagGuy (09-16-2023), Qwikkitty (04-26-2017), ralphwg (04-25-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 01:40 AM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Well, I missed this thread first time around.

The audio head unit (IAM) in the XK with Premium or Bowers & Wilkins sound system is the exact same unit as the XF, and the Land Rover LR2 (Freelander 2 for those outside the US).

There has been many reports of these units losing FM, or losing AM, especially in the Land Rovers, which kind of makes sense given there are five times as many on the road.

With the LR's it's been an internal fault in the IAM itself. No doubt it's the same issue with the Jags.

Ozmag (04-26-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 08:18 AM
Default TSB on AM radio failure

Thanks for the TSB information! For reference I show number SSM42145 for that TSB in the Mitchell database.

I talked to my dealer guy and he said they swapped both the IAM and the IBOC Tuner. As I read the TSB, the IBOC swap was unnecessary....

U102768, can you post a better copy of the VIN / Part table from the TSB. I can't quite read it and I don't have a Mitchell subscription...

Old 04-26-2017, 12:18 PM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, that sounds like the symptoms I'm seeing here. Our is an '07 XKR (with antenna). Only AM is dead. Does this then TSB info mean it is covered by an extended warranty replacement as our vehicle is out of warranty?

Old 04-26-2017, 07:08 PM
Veteran Member

U102768, can you post a better copy of the VIN / Part table from the TSB. I can't quite read it and I don't have a Mitchell subscription...
It should go full screen if you click on the thumb nail but here is a copy of the original document.

Attached Files
Old 04-26-2017, 07:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Qwikkitty
Does this then TSB info mean it is covered by an extended warranty replacement as our vehicle is out of warranty?
I think that service document is specific to the early 5.0L cars so it sounds like yours is just broken unfortunately.

Old 04-29-2017, 11:52 AM
Default IAM swap does not fix problem....

My XKR is B37645, which is after the factory stopped shipping faulty IAM units per the TSB. Still, I thought my AM radio problem must be caused by the IAM. So I got an IAM from a 2011 XF to swap out. First thing to note is these are not exactly the same: the XK unit has side brackets that are not on the XF unit:

XF and XK IAM units: XK has the side brackets...The extra bracket seems like it holds the touch screen a bit tighter to the dash. Fortunately, the two are electrically compatible, and the XF unit would hold even without the brackets, so I swapped the XF unit into my XKR ...

and discovered that it worked exactly the same as my original unit. The a.m. radio was broken but the rest of the functions work properly. From this I can only conclude that the AM radio problem originates in the IBOC module in the trunk as I originally suspected, not in the IAM. I will get a new IBOC and swap that next, and let everyone know...

Old 04-29-2017, 01:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,166 Likes on 2,335 Posts

My XKR is B37645, which is after the factory stopped shipping faulty IAM units per the TSB. Still, I thought my AM radio problem must be caused by the IAM. So I got an IAM from a 2011 XF to swap out. First thing to note is these are not exactly the same: the XK unit has side brackets that are not on the XF unit:

XF and XK IAM units: XK has the side brackets...The extra bracket seems like it holds the touch screen a bit tighter to the dash. Fortunately, the two are electrically compatible, and the XF unit would hold even without the brackets, so I swapped the XF unit into my XKR ...

and discovered that it worked exactly the same as my original unit. The a.m. radio was broken but the rest of the functions work properly. From this I can only conclude that the AM radio problem originates in the IBOC module in the trunk as I originally suspected, not in the IAM. I will get a new IBOC and swap that next, and let everyone know...
Well tw, good to know the 2011 XK Touch screen is interchangeable with the same year XF Touchscreen but those are not the IAM. You changed out the Touch screen display. The IAM sits below the TSD (cd player). It also appears that the IAM issue was resolved before your model year was in production if I'm reading the TSB right.

Last edited by Sean W; 04-29-2017 at 01:16 PM.
Old 04-29-2017, 03:15 PM
Default IAM vs Touch screen

Thanks for setting me straight! The salvage yard gave me a face plate, a CD changer and a touch screen unit all in one box. I assumed that the touch screen was the item to swap... you know what they say about assuming. So now I will swap the CD changer and report.

Old 04-29-2017, 04:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,166 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Thanks for setting me straight! The salvage yard gave me a face plate, a CD changer and a touch screen unit all in one box. I assumed that the touch screen was the item to swap... you know what they say about assuming. So now I will swap the CD changer and report.
Still valuable information. Touch screens for XF are much less expensive than the XK so knowing the year interchangeability is very valuable and thanks for that.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:00 AM
Default IAM Swap Does Not Fix the Problem Pt. 2

Ok, so I removed the six screws to get the audio system out of the dash. Then as stated in the service manual I removed the eight screws to disconnect the mounting rack from the touchscreen and CD changer, and removed the four screws to remove the mounting rack from the face plate. Then I removed the two screws to dismount the CD changer from the face plate, and finally, I unplugged the 7 connectors and plugged everything into a replacement touch screen, ICM and IAM / CD changer off of the donor 2011 Jaguar XF with Premium Sound (the ICM and IAM are an exact match and the touch screen is close enough BTW). Then I fired it all up (thankfully before re-mounting anything) .... and learned that swapping the touch screen, ICM and CD changer / IAM did not fix the AM radio problem, or in any way affect the behavior of the audio system other than giving me the audio settings of the previous user of the CD changer.

Bottom line, the AM radio problem is not caused by the IAM nor is it fixed by swapping the IAM.

Next move is swapping the IBOC in the trunk. Thankfully I think I can plug in a replacement into the power and data lines of the existing unit without dismounting anything and know immediately if the problem is fixed.

I will keep everyone posted.

Last edited by twhumphrey; 04-30-2017 at 09:05 AM.
Sean W (04-30-2017)
Old 04-30-2017, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Sean W
Well tw, good to know the 2011 XK Touch screen is interchangeable with the same year XF Touchscreen but those are not the IAM. You changed out the Touch screen display. The IAM sits below the TSD (cd player). It also appears that the IAM issue was resolved before your model year was in production if I'm reading the TSB right.
There is another thread in here in which a poster swapped an XF touchscreen into an XK (to see if he could enable additional video inputs) and he found the climate controls did not work. He tried but was unable to flash the software to get the climate controls to work on the XF screen.

I did not test climate controls for my experiment, so I would caution against the conclusion the XF and XK screens are cross compatible. When I am next experimenting I will check the climate controls and advise what I learn.

Old 04-30-2017, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Sean W
Still valuable information. Touch screens for XF are much less expensive than the XK so knowing the year interchangeability is very valuable and thanks for that.
The jury is still out on total compatibility of XK and XF touch screens... reported experiments suggest there are some issues with the climate controls.

Old 05-02-2017, 06:36 PM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

There are two different touchscreen/climate systems for the X150, 2006-2009 is not the same as 2010 onward.

As you have a 2010 onward car, it would appear to be compatible with the XF. What we tried before was putting a 2010-onward XK, and an XF screen, into a 2006-2009 car, that is not "plug n play" and did not work.

Old 05-02-2017, 06:38 PM
Default XF / XK Touch Screen Interchange

Thanks for the clarification.

Old 05-04-2017, 07:53 PM

Swapping the IBOC tuner fixed the AM radio problem! I am working on a photo album showing the process for a convertible since it is quite involved.