XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

AM Radio stopped working!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 08:26 PM
Received 47 Likes on 21 Posts

Here is a photo essay for the IBOC tuner swap.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/g/album/7351153

A bit of advice -- you can connect the new tuner to the cables from the car before swapping it in, and then verify it works. That will save you some trouble if the one you get used is also bad...

The following 4 users liked this post by twhumphrey:
7500ftJagGuy (09-16-2023), Qwikkitty (05-15-2017), ralphwg (05-07-2017), Rick'sJag (06-07-2018)
Old 05-07-2017, 01:43 AM

Hi all,

I discovered that the new IBOC Radio cannot be enabled to operate HD. I think this is because it has not been configured to the car yet, so when a setting like this is changed it is ignored by the radio.

I have the SDD software (came with a Mingoose I bought a while back) but need some advice on the way to get configuring done. If anyone who knows this process well can PM me that would be appreciated.

Thanks

The following 2 users liked this post by twhumphrey:
Qwikkitty (05-15-2017), Rick'sJag (06-07-2018)
Old 05-07-2017, 02:47 AM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Is the replacement IBOC module you put in the exact same part number as the one that came out?

I can tell you that the DAB or SDARS/Sirius modules do not need any programming if you remove one and put in another, they are backwards and forwards compatible. I don't know if that's the same for an IBOC / HD Radio module, i cannot imagine why it wouldn't be though.

You have all those bits from the XF there, did you happen to leave the XF CD-Changer/IAM installed?

Last edited by Cambo; 05-07-2017 at 02:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Rick'sJag (06-07-2018)
Old 05-07-2017, 03:44 AM

I have an XF changer but not from the same car, if that makes a difference.

Old 05-07-2017, 03:55 AM

What I mean is, all the equipment in your XK is original right now, apart from the IBOC module? If so I cannot see any reason why programming would be necessary.

Unless the IBOC module is a very old one or came out of an X350 XJ.

What is the part number of the IBOC module that came out of your car? And what is the part number of the replacment one you put in?

Old 05-07-2017, 06:46 PM
Default IBOC Radio replacement

The answer to your question is the rest of the parts are unchanged, I just swapped the IBOC Radio.

I can check later if the part number information is exactly the same, but I still maintain the theory that some sort of configuration is involved .... I can't think of another reason an IBOC tuner that otherwise works would not turn on its HD mode. I also can't imagine there is an IBOC tuner version that does not actually tune in the IBOC HD radio signal. Having access to HD radio is the whole point of including the IBOC tuner in the MOST loop instead of using the tuner already in the head unit.

Last edited by twhumphrey; 05-07-2017 at 06:50 PM.
Rick'sJag (06-07-2018)
Old 05-08-2017, 04:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by twhumphrey
Swapping the IBOC tuner fixed the AM radio problem! I am working on a photo album showing the process for a convertible since it is quite involved.
Excellent news. Tell me, was it the case that you had absolute silence from the AM band, no hiss crackle etc but everything else works e.g. FM, CD etc? And had your AM band worked at some time in the past i.e. the presets had valid reception frequencies?

My car has no AM reception and the Jag dealer plugged it in to his fault finder and this showed the IAM to be at fault. I can't check this because my OBDC reader is one of the very cheap Chinese jobs which only reads emissions faults. Did yours show an error code or any other related fault?

I see that your garage swapped the IBOC tuner before but without success or am misunderstanding what you wrote?

Your pics of the IBOC removal are fantastic. Many thanks and, thankfully, my car's a coupe.

Douglas

MY2010 XKR

Old 05-08-2017, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by twhumphrey
The answer to your question is the rest of the parts are unchanged, I just swapped the IBOC Radio.

I can check later if the part number information is exactly the same, but I still maintain the theory that some sort of configuration is involved .... I can't think of another reason an IBOC tuner that otherwise works would not turn on its HD mode. I also can't imagine there is an IBOC tuner version that does not actually tune in the IBOC HD radio signal. Having access to HD radio is the whole point of including the IBOC tuner in the MOST loop instead of using the tuner already in the head unit.
Alright a little more digging.

"IBOC Receiver Module
The IBOC receiver module provides the electronics and software to receive, decode and play the digital signals. The IBOC receiver module also includes a standard AM/FM tuner that allows the system to ‘blend’ to analog when the signal integrity of a digital broadcast is decreased beyond a defined threshold.
NOTE: When the IBOC receiver is installed in the vehicle, the in-dash AM/FM audio unit will be disabled. The IBOC receiver will offer all of the functionality of the existing AM/FM tuner."

So what this means is that the AM/FM tuner built into the head unit is not utilised when the IBOC module is fitted. The IBOC module does everything. Likewise if the IBOC module is not "seen" then the built in AM/FM tuner does everything.

To choose the audio source, you press the source button next to the volume control, and it should cycle through FM1, FM2, AM, HD-Radio, CD, USB and iPod.

What you're saying is that the HD-Radio doesn't come up as you cycle through? It's as if the IBOC module is not connected, not seen on the network.

If that's the case I have seen similar things with the cars outside of the US which have DAB. The DAB module was connected, the CCF programmed for DAB to be enabled, the rest of the audio system was functioning, just no option for DAB to select via the source button.

Same thing happened with a Land Rover in the US, which had SDARS/Sirius, it was missing from the menus. What was needed was to 'reboot' the MOST network, in order for all of the modules in the network to be recognised.

If this is the case with your car, you would probably be getting AM/FM via the regular tuner in the head unit, while the IBOC module is "not seen" ?

Try disconnecting the battery, or unplugging one of the MOST connectors, see if that resets it.

If you have not changed the head unit, then there should not be any need for programming changes, unless there is a difference between the module you took out, and the replacement one you put in. Or perhaps even the replacement one is defective?

I'm guessing you got a used one, right?

Old 05-08-2017, 09:13 AM
Default Symptoms of the a.m. radio problem

Originally Posted by DouglasXKR
Excellent news. Tell me, was it the case that you had absolute silence from the AM band, no hiss crackle etc but everything else works e.g. FM, CD etc? And had your AM band worked at some time in the past i.e. the presets had valid reception frequencies?

My car has no AM reception and the Jag dealer plugged it in to his fault finder and this showed the IAM to be at fault. I can't check this because my OBDC reader is one of the very cheap Chinese jobs which only reads emissions faults. Did yours show an error code or any other related fault?

I see that your garage swapped the IBOC tuner before but without success or am misunderstanding what you wrote?

Your pics of the IBOC removal are fantastic. Many thanks and, thankfully, my car's a coupe.

Douglas

MY2010 XKR
My symptom was that the a.m. radio would not select properly. When I tried to select a.m. radio it would actually select FM1 but with AM showing up on the display. The next time I pushed the source button I would actually have FM1 and the next push I would go to FM2 . Sometimes I would be able to select AM and the radio would seem to get AM but be stuck on a station... usually with static.

Old 05-10-2017, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Cambo
Is the replacement IBOC module you put in the exact same part number as the one that came out?

I can tell you that the DAB or SDARS/Sirius modules do not need any programming if you remove one and put in another, they are backwards and forwards compatible. I don't know if that's the same for an IBOC / HD Radio module, i cannot imagine why it wouldn't be though.
The used IBOC module (from a 2010 XK) looks to be the exact same part number as the OEM module from my car. See photos... IBOC module from 2010 XKR with bad AM function
Replacement IBOC module from 2010 XK.

Rick'sJag (06-07-2018)
Old 05-15-2017, 02:57 PM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

TWHumphrey: THANKS for your detailed analysis, and DIY photos. I may have to perform the same process on mine ('07 XKR)? In light of the known issue with the Visteon IBOC, did you attempt to have a dealer perform this repair on a known issue under the FRED warranty (even though the vehicle itself may have been out OOW?).

Old 05-15-2017, 04:40 PM
Default FRED warranty

I asked about the TSR and the FRED statement and the service writer looked at me as if I had 3 heads. I am not sure what FRED means or if it is indeed an extended warranty. The parts man at my dealership told me another XK came in with the same problem and walked out thousands of dollars lighter with a new radio and IAM. Since I had proven the IAM is not part of the problem, and nobody but me knew about the TSR, I concluded there is nothing but a soaking that would occur at my dealer.

Old 05-16-2017, 03:18 PM
Received 198 Likes on 140 Posts

What is a FRED warranty?

Old 07-03-2018, 08:14 AM

I had the OP's described AM radio failure and ultimately pinned it down to the Visteon IBOC tuner (7W93-19C034-AE) which lives at the bottom of the entertainment stack in the car. I swapped it out with a salvage part, and had working AM radio, but no HD radio on FM. So after some diagnostic work I swapped it out again with another salvage part, and now at last I have working AM, working FM and working HD radio for FM. I suspect the cause of failure may be prolonged overheating since there is very limited air circulation in that area and this part lives at the bottom of the stack with a small heat sink to cool it off.

I made some photos of where the tuner unit is and how to swap it, visible here:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/g/album/7351153

The following 2 users liked this post by twhumphrey:
kj07xk (07-03-2018), shemp (07-03-2018)
Old 07-05-2018, 08:32 PM

This is a known issue in XK's and XKR's. The radio receiver module often fails causing the AM band to stop working. We have that problem in our '07 currently. Somewhere I read about an update, and there may have even been a tech bulletin or a limited service campaign to address this, but as these vehicles are 10/11 years old now, I don't think you'll find it under warranty. The best solution is find a unit from a wreck and swap it out (and hope it keeps working). See twhumphrey's posts elsewhere on this thread for more info.

Last edited by Qwikkitty; 07-05-2018 at 08:44 PM.
Old 06-14-2019, 05:53 PM

OK, I'm finally going to attempt replacing my IBOC. Have been without AM long enough. Mine's an '07 XKR. Have spotted a few salvage ones on eBay and going to take a chance.

Thanks for your great writeup and photos twhumprey!!

Old 09-23-2019, 06:28 PM
Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

So QuickKitty - did you do the swap? If so - how did it work out. I, too, have no AM. I can select AM, but the tuner acts as though no stations exist. No static - it just keeps searching around the dial. So I'm curious if this fixed the problem for you.

Originally Posted by Qwikkitty
OK, I'm finally going to attempt replacing my IBOC. Have been without AM long enough. Mine's an '07 XKR. Have spotted a few salvage ones on eBay and going to take a chance.

Old 09-30-2019, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by MurrayG
So QuickKitty - did you do the swap? If so - how did it work out. I, too, have no AM. I can select AM, but the tuner acts as though no stations exist. No static - it just keeps searching around the dial. So I'm curious if this fixed the problem for you.
I bought the module, but haven’t installed it yet. Will attempt it in the coming weeks and post results.

MK

Old 10-14-2019, 07:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XK AM radio gone

Originally Posted by Ozmag
This is a strange one, my radio and CD is working perfectly apart from the AM band is no longer working...

Any ideas?
I have a 2007 xk Coupe that just had the AM go away like yours, did you ever resolve the issue?

thanking you in advance for any information
Big Mike

Old 10-15-2019, 09:40 AM
Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

I've not yet resolved my AM issue. I have also noted that FM reception, while it does exist, is poor. So I'll poke around the antenna stub (mine is an '09) and see if there is an issue there as well.