Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Any XKR owners own a 2014 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts
Default Any XKR owners own a 2014 Corvette

I was considering adding a Maserati Grand Turismo to my premium car collection. However, I have no where close for the service aspect. Closest Ferrari/Maserati dealer is 500 miles away.

With that in mind, I am considering a 2014 or 2015 Corvette LT2.

Any other Jaguar owners own one of these new style Corvettes?

Looks like great pricing for such a high performance sports car.

Any advice, is more than welcome.

Yes, I will keep the 2009 Jaguar XKR PE and the 2014 Porsche Cayman. I just couldn't let these go.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:31 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 926 Likes on 607 Posts

The new Z06 is going to be a monster. Personally, I would stay away from Maserati unless you get a fantastic deal. I would update your 2009 XKR to a newer XKR. With no loyalty to brand, the Jaguar XKR 2012-on, IMO, offers great value and you will be getting the latest.

The following users liked this post:
richzak (10-21-2014)
Old 10-20-2014, 09:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DGL
The new Z06 is going to be a monster. Personally, I would stay away from Maserati unless you get a fantastic deal. I would update your 2009 XKR to a newer XKR. With no loyalty to brand, the Jaguar XKR 2012-on, IMO, offers great value and you will be getting the latest.
Yes, I have decided to eliminate the Maserati due to lack of service and maintainence items. The closest dealer is about 500 miles away.

My 2009 Jaguar XKR Convertible Portfolio Edition is available to anyone that is seeking an outstanding ride. The car is like new with 16,300 original miles. I would consider upgrading. I open to reasonable offers if they come about. While I am not agressively seeking a sale, I am always open to someone seeking a premium Jaguar XKR ride. It is doubtful that many of these rare 2009 XKR Portfolio Editions are in as good as shape as mine, with low mileage. I do know of one other forum member owning the same car, and I know he takes excellent care of his 2009 XKR PE Vert.

However the 2014/2015 Corvette C7 would be an addition to what I already have.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

A friend got a new Corvette recently and next month when we go to Buttonwillow raceway with SoCal Audi Club (he is the president of the club), I'm sure I'll get a chance to take a ride. The interior is worlds above anything that has ever been inside of a 'Vette. Seats and dash are very nice, although passenger seat is definitely tight for big people like me. Surely, the current Corvette is the world's greatest performance bargain and will make a worthy addition to your garage should you make that decision.

richzak (10-21-2014)
Old 10-21-2014, 08:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

The new Corvette's are great and a super buy at around $75K for all the bells and whistles. Anyone can own one but few will own an XK. I've had a few vett's and they were fun in my youth but they all rode like a truck. They still hav that transverse leaf spring in the rear and after a few years the ride is tough on the butt. Power is great and handling pretty good and for the money you can't beat them. I live in a small town (under 10,000) and we have similar towns around our area and I see maybe 3 or 4 every time I am out. I've owned my XKR for 5 months now and have never seen another one during my travels and the ride is much better. So my take is if you are young then go for it and have fun.

richzak (10-21-2014)
Old 10-22-2014, 11:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
The new Corvette's are great and a super buy at around $75K for all the bells and whistles. Anyone can own one but few will own an XK. I've had a few vett's and they were fun in my youth but they all rode like a truck. They still hav that transverse leaf spring in the rear and after a few years the ride is tough on the butt. Power is great and handling pretty good and for the money you can't beat them. I live in a small town (under 10,000) and we have similar towns around our area and I see maybe 3 or 4 every time I am out. I've owned my XKR for 5 months now and have never seen another one during my travels and the ride is much better. So my take is if you are young then go for it and have fun.
Not young, but think young. Keeping the 2009 Jaguar XKR, 2014 Porsche Cayman, 2014 Ford F150 and 2012 Hyundau Tucson.

I ordered a new 2015 Corvette C7 today. Dealer gets allocations for new orders in early Nov. Expect delivery sometime in January 2015. I was told that production at Bowling Green, KY plant shuts down for the holidays.

Appears to be a great value. I did not order all the bells and whistles as many I would not use. Started at base pricing and features than added options from that point. Got what I wanted, and no more. Dealer cut me a great deal. I did have alot of preliminary pricing and they came back within $290.00 of my projected pricing that I was willing pay.

I guess I will park it next to the Jaguar in the garage. or maybe the Porsche 981.

The final production car will look like the photos below only with Yellow brake calipers.

Attached Thumbnails Any XKR owners own a 2014 Corvette-corvette-torch-red-c7.jpg   Any XKR owners own a 2014 Corvette-corvette-torch-red-c7-2.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by richzak:
Lothar52 (10-23-2014), weisberg (11-12-2014)
Old 10-23-2014, 08:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Have fun and enjoy the ride.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Great choice, Richard. I had been seriously looking at the Stingray at the beginning of the year when they were in short supply and dealers were jacking up the prices ridiculously. At the time I was not willing to pay the significant premium just to be the first on the block. Shortly after that I purchased my '10 XKR and I am very happy with my choice.

The Stingray is still occupying the back of my mind, particularly in the ZO6 variation. Main concern was the lack of garage room at my residence. I hate parking my premium cars outside, as I do now with my leased XJL. Still, when the XJL lease expires in mid '15, who knows... maybe a Stingray...?

Old 10-23-2014, 11:44 AM
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

I spent a couple of days at the Ron Fellows driving academy at Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch outside Vegas; the paddock is FULL of Stingray Z51s. And some remaining ZR1's

There was a discount for the multi-day courses that came with 2014 Stingray purchases; I assume that will continue for the '15s. I highly recommend taking advantage of the opportunity, even if you've tracked before. For new 'Vette owners, it's also helpful that they spend some time discussing utilizing the varied configurations possible via the Stingray's setup menus.

The 2.2 mile course is fun, well-maintained, and the instructors are talented... and you get to flog someone else's car while learning the 'Vette and enjoying the track. Very fun "arrive and drive" school. They're constantly evaluating the drivers and grouping the lead/follow sessions for driver talent/aggressiveness. While some of the initial instruction was basic, I improved my use of trail braking, braking for balance, and throttle steer. It was worthwhile, at full price.

Enjoy the new car! Post up pics when it arrives.

Rich

Old 10-23-2014, 01:46 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by axr6
Great choice, Richard. I had been seriously looking at the Stingray at the beginning of the year when they were in short supply and dealers were jacking up the prices ridiculously. At the time I was not willing to pay the significant premium just to be the first on the block. Shortly after that I purchased my '10 XKR and I am very happy with my choice.

The Stingray is still occupying the back of my mind, particularly in the ZO6 variation. Main concern was the lack of garage room at my residence. I hate parking my premium cars outside, as I do now with my leased XJL. Still, when the XJL lease expires in mid '15, who knows... maybe a Stingray...?
Many dealers are still charging either full MSRP or in Calaifornia, I understand that many dealers are getting in excess of MSRP. I cut a deal with my local Chevrolet/Cadillac dealer for $1900 over invoice price. 2015 should go into production sometime in late November or possibly earlier.

Also the Z51 is just a package option that is popular with some extra features. I did not go the Z51 route as I felt I was paying for options I didn't need or would use. I built the car myself and went thru all options. Should be a fun ride.

I will NOT track this car. I have raced competitively for many years and attended many (numerous) open track days to see guys beat up their street machines. I am not interested in burning up tires and brake systems via a track experience. I already know very well how fun it is to race on a road track. I just want to enjoy the style, the new ride and performance that the new C7 delivers.

Old 10-23-2014, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 346 Likes on 239 Posts

Hot dog hot dog hot diggity dog rich has got himself a new stingray

Jumpmaster (10-24-2014)
Old 10-23-2014, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Lothar52
Hot dog hot dog hot diggity dog rich has got himself a new stingray
Not yet....made the deposit. Local Corvette dealer is waiting to hear from GM on what allocation they will get for the Corvette C7 in November. Then I am first in line, and my order will be placed. These C7's are made in Bowling Green, KY.

GM has what they call "constraints" on orders. Due to these "constraints", production of the more expensive models are being delayed almost 2-3 months.

I started with the base model and built up from there, getting the extra options that I wanted. I did allot of homework before making a decision to make the purchase.

I am looking forward to getting it.

I have a 2013 Hyundai Sonata Limited 2.0T fully loaded that I will sell. The car has only 6600 miles and still has 43,400 left on the full bumper to bumper warranty. All of my cars are garage kept and low mileage.

Still keeping everything else except the Hyundai Sonata Limited.

Last edited by richzak; 10-23-2014 at 11:14 PM.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

Richzak - When you finally get it enjoy it as much as your xkr!!

richzak (10-23-2014)
Old 10-24-2014, 07:02 AM
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

got an 11' XKR, my fellow coworker and car enthusiast just bought the 2014 Stingray. I'm a Jaguar loyalist, however, I gotta say...His 'vette' rocks! For the dollar, almost as attention getting as the Gran Tourismo but more reliable and economical. Not that any of us really care, it gets almost 30 miles a gallon.

Its the "almost" part for an extra $100K that is the real decision....

Old 10-28-2014, 02:33 AM
Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

UK/US: we are reversed in terms of who gets attention

Corvette in UK, Jaguar XKR in USA:

UK: "Ellow 'Mate, Look at this 'ere coh-vette! Cracking design, yeah? Krickey (sp, too lazy to look it up), I'd love to get a turn at something that exotic!

US: "Sh*t, what is that thang? Damn nice looking car, I'll tell you that. 'Aint nevur seen no English car before though. Sounds like it might (MIGHT) take my mustang in the quarter. Where is England again?

The reverse writes itself.

But seriously, people see Corvettes (not just the old (pre '73) or new (current) and see something exotic and special in the UK? What cars would it be on level with? An XK? An S4? More? Less?

Curious,

Skeeter

Old 10-28-2014, 06:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Skeeter
UK/US: we are reversed in terms of who gets attention

Corvette in UK, Jaguar XKR in USA:

UK: "Ellow 'Mate, Look at this 'ere coh-vette! Cracking design, yeah? Krickey (sp, too lazy to look it up), I'd love to get a turn at something that exotic!

US: "Sh*t, what is that thang? Damn nice looking car, I'll tell you that. 'Aint nevur seen no English car before though. Sounds like it might (MIGHT) take my mustang in the quarter. Where is England again?

The reverse writes itself.

But seriously, people see Corvettes (not just the old (pre '73) or new (current) and see something exotic and special in the UK? What cars would it be on level with? An XK? An S4? More? Less?

Curious,

Skeeter
Really no comparison between the XK/XKRs and new Corvette C7. Our Jaguar's are "super special", due to the limited amount of production. Corvettes? Yes, cool, but a dime a dozen. GM produced 37,288 of the new generation C7's in 2014. That's no comparison to Jaguar's limited production models vs. the mass produced Corvettes.

What attracted me to the new C7, was the body style, the standard equipment and the down right great value for what you get. You can buy a new 2015 Vette C7 fully loaded for about $72,000. The Z06 will be priced higher of course.

I ordered this new 2015 Corvette C7 with what I wanted on it. No unnecessary options that you might find on a dealers lot. Many of these cars are ordered with options that most people will never use on a regular basis.

My cost, $55,290. The dealer sold me the car 3% above invoice and 6% below MSRP.

For what I am getting, the price represents a great value, for such a fine sports car. This new toy should look pretty nice next to my 2009 Jag XKR Portfolio Editon and my 2014 Porsche Cayman.

The hardest dilemma for me will be trying to decide what to drive and when. Certianly when I want the feel of luxury, there is only one choice....the Jaguar XKR Vert.

Old 11-01-2014, 08:48 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a 2014 Stingray in October 2014, and 6,000 miles later, I am amazed at the car in every way. Performance is insane, price is very reasonable, and comfort is vastly improved from the spartan interiors of the old corvettes. It is completely re-engineered, and handles like a performance car should. The car draws lots of attention, and it is probably the best deal for the money..

richzak (11-01-2014)
Old 11-01-2014, 09:05 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by frankslawn
I bought a 2014 Stingray in October 2014, and 6,000 miles later, I am amazed at the car in every way. Performance is insane, price is very reasonable, and comfort is vastly improved from the spartan interiors of the old corvettes. It is completely re-engineered, and handles like a performance car should. The car draws lots of attention, and it is probably the best deal for the money..
I find this new Corvete C7 to be a great deal also. I just added a few options like the Z51 Appearance Package and raised my price just a little to $56,920.

I can't find any other sports car that delivers what the new C7 offers for the price. I was a repeat customer at the local delaership who cut me a great deal on the 2015.

Thanks for letting me know you like your C7. Mine should be delivered sometime in late January.

Old 11-02-2014, 06:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

Originally Posted by Skeeter
Depends who's looking. Everyone will notice the 'Vette, because it's unusual (and probably fairly loud). Car people will think "muscle car" and assume it's great in a straight line but won't handle well, because that's the traditional image of US cars here. Others will think it's interesting, but ostentatious - a XKR Sport Pack, Lambo or Ferrari would probably get the same reaction.

Old 11-02-2014, 07:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 346 Likes on 239 Posts

I like both.... But no thanks I will keep my XK's!!!

Quick Reply: Any XKR owners own a 2014 Corvette