XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Anyone track their XKR?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 09:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone track their XKR?

I have been doing HPDE's for more than 10 years and I am looking to get an '08 XKR. I would likely want to take it to the track and was wondering if anyone tracked their car and how it did at the track?

Old 02-12-2012, 10:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

You may not get much (any?) feedback since this is very much a luxurious cruising GT. Lots of guys here with track experience in other cars, but not their XKR's it seems...possibly with good reason!

I've seen repeated feedback that the '07-09 XKR's have a fair bit of body lean on public roads which doesn't bode well for cornering demands on the track. Brakes would be a weak spot likely unless you found an '08 with the optional Alcon brakes. I note these because I see you upgraded both of them on your NSX, and suspension and brakes generally top the upgrade path for most cars when improved performance is desired. Three track buddies had fun with their NSX's when bone stock, but upgraded to hardcore suspension as they upgraded their driving skills, along with track brake pads. Would you be satisfied with the NSX on the track if you went back to it's stock suspension and brakes? Unlikely I'm guessing

The XKR is heavy, the '07-09 don't have limited slip, and the front engine/rear wheel drive all conspire to reduce cornering performance from turn-in to exit, especially compared to what you are used to with the NSX. You'd likely find rear grip also a challenge under throttle, and researching a wider/stickier tire to fit the stock rims, or upgraded wheel package would be worthwhile.

I'm not sure how well the stock air to water intercooler's efficiency would stand up on the track, or any of the fluid temps for that matter, but I suspect not great as with most street cars.

I suspect from comments in your other thread that you're not going to want to modify the next car like you did with the NSX, and will adjust your performance goals accordingly. That was my goal as well, with a track modified Supra TT and MR2T used for those duties. Having said that, I did opt for a 2010 XKR for the suspension, brake and powertrain upgrades, and was really impressed with its performance on the track this past fall at an open lapping event. Outstanding brakes for late passes and deep braking into corners, very well-controlled dive/squat/roll, and impressively quick throttle response and acceleration. I was also pleasantly surprised by the amount of cornering grip it had under trail-braking and high speed sweepers...that really surprised me, and praise goes to the active and stiffened suspension.

The only weak point, and may be common with the '08 you're considering, was trying to put the power down when rolling on the throttle from the apex. I had left the traction control fully on, and it regularly and abruptly kicked in on slower speed corners. The next time out I will turn it partially off to allow some controlled slip and see how that goes. It can also be fully de-activated, and that may be where I end up depending how the car feels.

I'm sure you'd enjoy driving the XKR (or any other highly desirable sports car) on the track, and would enjoy determining and probing it's limits...at whatever level they're at. Isn't that really the fun part of tracking a car? Throwing more money at buying or modifying a car to be faster is something a lot of guys do as part of the hobby/sport, but once you've been there and done that I think driving a comfortable and capable car to and from the track with nothing more than helmet, driving shoes/gloves, torque wrench and a tire pump/guage is a joy!

Bruce

Last edited by Bruce H.; 02-12-2012 at 10:23 AM.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:36 AM

Well put and thanks. As you said I do not want to modify the XKR, I am getting more for enjoyable driving as my wife and I get older. I would still like to go to the track but just not push the car so much. I have been a driving coach at the track for more than 4 years but I don't go out there to "beat" anyone just enjoy myself. In the NSX I do good in the turns but low power out of the turns and the straight. Since I normally run in the race prep/instructors group I point people around plenty of times since I am up against GT-3's and even Lambo's and R-8's and cars that have stripped down for track purposes. They are faster than my daily driver even if it is an NSX.

Thanks for helpful advice.

David

Old 02-14-2012, 05:19 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I track this

Attached Thumbnails Anyone track their XKR?-051310towrig-001.jpg   Anyone track their XKR?-040909s2blkfgl-003.jpg  
Old 02-14-2012, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Chaos236
I track this
Or how about this? XKR stays at home.

Attached Thumbnails Anyone track their XKR?-img_0081.jpg  
Old 02-15-2012, 04:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by Foggy916
Or how about this? XKR stays at home.
This is kinda scary to me lol
So, please be careful with these two wheelers

Old 02-15-2012, 05:50 AM

I don't do the bikes but I am in a club with about 30 guys that track and in the group there are 2 small groups of about 3-4 guys each that have gone together and bought race cars 1. panoz and 2 Porsche. if it comes down to it I may buy in with someone but again I am married and need to stay that way so it depends on what she will agree to. She hasn't had an issues so far but she may not want me buying in with other guys and i know she won't let me get one on my own.

Thanks,

Old 02-16-2012, 07:11 AM

Finally test drove the XKR yesterday and I am in love. Trying to work the deal now, almost drove home with it yesterday

Old 02-16-2012, 07:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by DRubnitz
I don't do the bikes but I am in a club with about 30 guys that track and in the group there are 2 small groups of about 3-4 guys each that have gone together and bought race cars 1. panoz and 2 Porsche. if it comes down to it I may buy in with someone but again I am married and need to stay that way so it depends on what she will agree to. She hasn't had an issues so far but she may not want me buying in with other guys and i know she won't let me get one on my own.

Thanks,
Bud of mine bought into a nice 'vette, then got Hooters as a sponsor.... Wow did he have fun with that both on and off track! He was married too, so for him it was the adrenalin of the track and the attention they got while in the pits... Hooters always sent a few gals out on race days for photos and promo work around his car...
He quite after a few years as the circuit he and his co-owners had to keep up with kept them on the road far more than he wanted to be away from his family.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:42 AM
Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

David,

Props again for the NSX. A cult car, worth keeping forever. Must be a blast @ the track, even if a touch low on raw power. But I hear the feel, design, performance, and reliability (for an exotic car, no less) are without equal. Ahead of it's time!

Any chance you could reach and spring for a 2010? The differences are radical, an altogether experience. I was going to buy a 2009 because it was so much better priced and looked the same as the 2010 (more or less).

Figured it'd be plenty fast and given the price delta and equal prestige factor, it seemed like the better choice. Drove one and was impressed and satisfied. Nearly pulled the trigger.

Then I drove a 2010 XKR. You won't read too many posts about people driving their cars hard here, but the new power plant and suspension, etc, really do transform the R into a scarily fast car with an incredible suspension and power train. An absolute terror, but smooth as silk and with brakes that could stop the planet.

For track use, I'd think the 2010+ would give immensely more satisfaction. The earlier XKR is swift and agile, a fine performer, but the new cars bring huge upgrades, not the least of which the supercharged 5.0 (shockingly potent, huge power and torque).

Maybe finding a 2010 with miles on it could be within budget? If you can squeeze it, you'll be rewarded with a new level of speed and laugh out loud moments. If I were to choose a Jag to track on the side, that'd be my hearty recommendation.

At a minimum, test drive both and post your impressions. To me it was the difference between equally beautiful cars, but while one was smooth, swift, and fun, the newer setup was all those things plus brutally powerful and on another level in handling, just felt like the older model turned WAY up while maintaining or exceeding in comfort.

At least those were my impressions. I hate buying new and given the identical appearances I was pretty sure I'd be buying a pre-2010, but the bonkers performance of the 2010+ won the day.

Check 'em both out if you can, even if budget eliminates the newer models.

Best,

Skeeter

Old 02-17-2012, 07:55 AM

Thanks Skeeter, I will have to check out the costs for the 2010 models. My wife has given the go ahead for the budget I was looking at on the 2008 and while it is much less than I spent on the NSX the economy is down as well and being in the health insurance business my company could be gone in 2-3 years so that is a concern. That being said I am going to take a look right now at the price range for the 2010 models