XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

ask the experts....

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 11:51 AM
Received 70 Likes on 42 Posts
Default ask the experts....

Hello, Dodge Viper ACR owner researching 2012 XKR-S as I have fallen in love with a Racing Blue specimen I can't stop thinking about..... you know how that goes.

Car has 24k kms on it and its 12 hours away.... It looks like it has 100 kms on it. Next time I go look, I want to be educated so that's why I'm here. Its' at a Jag dealer so I'm confident its up to date recall wise and service wise; what do I grill them on? What issues do I look for?

My Viper has been a car I can always maintain for the most part and I'm hoping the XKRS isn't one that needs to see the dealership regularly...

Talk to me....

Old 02-28-2016, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,139 Likes on 3,383 Posts

Welcome to the Forum. You've come to the right place.

Since your question is broad, I suggest that you search this forum for "XKR-S" to get a list of threads by topic that are of interest to you. One problem that is common to all 5.0L engines (NA and SC) is sudden and unexpected water pump failure, which can cause catastrophic engine damage. Otherwise, all X150 models are fairly reliable. Since it's for sale by a Jaguar dealer, a CPO warranty would be a plus.

The Viper ACR is a track weapon; the XKR-S just looks like one. If you want another track weapon, check out the newest version of the F-Type with 575 HP and AWD. Click here: http://www.jaguarusa.com/all-models/...-type-svr.html

Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited by Stuart S; 02-28-2016 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Added link to F-Type SVR
The following users liked this post:
AllblueACR (02-28-2016)
Old 02-28-2016, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Welcome to the Forum. You've come to the right place.

a CPO warranty would be a plus.

what's a CPO warranty?

Old 02-28-2016, 03:02 PM
Received 4,180 Likes on 3,643 Posts

certified pre-owned

AllblueACR (03-14-2016)
Old 02-28-2016, 04:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,139 Likes on 3,383 Posts
Default Jaguar CPO Warranty

After I posted this, I realized that the OP, AllblueACR, is in Canada. Nevertheless, the following may be of interest to him. The CPO plan in Canada appears to be virtually identical to the USA CPO plan. See: http://www.jaguar.ca/en/quality-sect...-benefits.html

The Jaguar USA website includes a search tool to find CPO inventory. Click here: Certified Pre-Owned Program Benefits | Jaguar USA

Jaguar Certified Pre-Owned Warranty
Under the Jaguar Approved Certified Pre-Owned Limited Warranty*, your Jaguar vehicle is covered for up to 6 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. Jaguar Approved Certified Pre-Owned warranty coverage and roadside assistance start at the conclusion of the Jaguar New-Vehicle Limited Warranty, so you have continuous coverage. Coverage begins on the vehicle's original in-service date and zero miles**. (For complete coverage details, please see your Jaguar Retailer.)

*See your Retailer for complete Limited Warranty coverage details.
**Original sale date is the date of sale or in-use date, as reported to Jaguar Land Rover North America, LLC.

Certification
Jaguar Approved Certified Pre-Owned cars have been hand-selected from only the finest, most carefully maintained Jaguar vehicles available from the previous five model years. The entire range of Jaguar products is available, from the stunning XF luxury sports sedan to the elegant XJ premium luxury sedan to the legendary XK coupe and convertible to the breathtaking F-TYPE convertible.

Vehicle History Report
All Approved Certified Pre-Owned Jaguar vehicles come with a vehicle history report which you can review prior to your Jaguar purchase.

A Rigorous 165-Point Inspection
Every Jaguar Approved Certified Pre-Owned vehicle is carefully scrutinized and evaluated as a function of a comprehensive 165-Point Inspection process.

Roadside Assistance
The Jaguar Roadside Assistance Program comes standard with all Approved Certified Pre-Owned vehicles. This means all Approved Certified Pre-Owned Jaguar vehicle owners have the benefit of 24 hour, 7 days a week emergency roadside services for unforeseen events like flat tires, battery jump starts, keys locked in the car and running out of fuel mid-trip.

Transferable Warranty
There may come a time when you decide to sell your Jaguar Approved Certified Pre-Owned vehicle. The new owner will feel assured knowing that the warranty that came with your purchase is fully transferable.

No Deductible
Any and all warrantable repairs covered under the Jaguar Approved Certified Pre-Owned program require absolutely no deductible whatsoever.

Trip-Interruption Expense Benefits:
Reasonable reimbursement of out-of-pocket expenses if a warranty-related disablement occurs more than 50 miles from home.

Last edited by Stuart S; 02-28-2016 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Added preface and link to Jaguar Canada
The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart S:
AllblueACR (03-14-2016), sklimii (02-28-2016)
Old 02-28-2016, 08:08 PM
Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by AllblueACR
issues do I look for?

Talk to me....
Hi allblue,
I have an XKR-S 2012 and I have nothing special to complain about. Welcome to the forum and enjoy the ride. 12 Hours drive si just great to get use to the beast.
Guy

AllblueACR (03-14-2016)
Old 02-29-2016, 10:39 PM

SAJXA4HA1DMB49522
serial number if someone could run the magic history report;sounds like it ay have been a company demo

Old 03-01-2016, 09:00 AM
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Allblue...I am going to agree with others. The XKR really is a reliable car. Especially for a higher performance vehicle. With 24km on the odometer, it seems like you would be past the water pump issues. The research that I did is that if they make it past the 10,000 mile (20,000km) mark on the water pump, you should have no worries. Also the water pump issues seemed to be more of a problem in the 2010's and early 2011's. By 2012 it seems that issue was fixed at the factory.

The XKR is an awesome machine. As others have said, it isn't the track monster the Viper is.....but it isn't a slouch either.

The thing that you will love is the comfort and style of the Jag. You can ride in this thing all day and still walk after you put it back in the garage.

I bought mine from a Mercedes dealer 3,000 miles away sight unseen. If it is coming from a reputable dealer, it is almost certain it will be a gem. I got it in writing from the dealer I purchased the car from that if it wasn't to my expectation I would return for a full refund.

The car was shipped to me and it was actually BETTER than the pictures and the dealer described.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

AllblueACR (03-14-2016)
Old 03-01-2016, 10:09 PM

never mind... it's gone

Old 03-02-2016, 04:06 PM
Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by kyle191
Allblue...I am going to agree with others. The XKR really is a reliable car. Especially for a higher performance vehicle. With 24km on the odometer, it seems like you would be past the water pump issues. The research that I did is that if they make it past the 10,000 mile (20,000km) mark on the water pump, you should have no worries. Also the water pump issues seemed to be more of a problem in the 2010's and early 2011's. By 2012 it seems that issue was fixed at the factory.

The XKR is an awesome machine. As others have said, it isn't the track monster the Viper is.....but it isn't a slouch either.

The thing that you will love is the comfort and style of the Jag. You can ride in this thing all day and still walk after you put it back in the garage.

I bought mine from a Mercedes dealer 3,000 miles away sight unseen. If it is coming from a reputable dealer, it is almost certain it will be a gem. I got it in writing from the dealer I purchased the car from that if it wasn't to my expectation I would return for a full refund.

The car was shipped to me and it was actually BETTER than the pictures and the dealer described.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Some water pump clarification

They are on their 4th generation of water pump that was released last year, mileage does not seem to have anything to do with it mine failed at 47k miles. People in the other sections have had failures on cars made after 2012 lets see how the 13, 14 and 15s do in a few years.

I am cautiously pessimistic they have manged to fix the design on their fourth try.

AllblueACR (03-02-2016)
Old 03-02-2016, 06:02 PM
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,784 Posts

A good practice it to inspect the water pump for any seepage whenever the vehicle is being serviced so the pump may be replaced prior to complete, sudden failure.

AllblueACR (03-02-2016)
Old 03-02-2016, 07:44 PM

thanks all for the information but the car sold before I could get my ##it together

Old 03-03-2016, 07:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

thanks all for the information but the car sold before I could get my ##it together
There will be others...

Even if the spec isn't what you're after, try & get behind the wheel of one to make sure you like the feel. Even the R-S and the Speed/Dynamic Pack cars aren't really track weapons. Despite the 30% stiffer suspension, they're big heavy cars with a full set of luxury trimmings.

When the 75 was released, which is the equivalent of a Dynamic Pack with extra HP, Mike Cross said, "...what we wanted to create was a car that you could drive to the Nurburgring in, set a decent lap time, and still drive home feeling totally comfortable with." Having done just that (well, apart from the decent lap time), I can confirm it's the ideal car for the purpose.

AllblueACR (03-14-2016)
Old 03-03-2016, 09:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 282 Likes on 170 Posts

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Jaguar/XK...orup=11_100_57

Last edited by JagRag; 03-03-2016 at 04:11 PM.
Old 03-03-2016, 06:40 PM
Default So far

Thanks, saw that one but it's too far away

Did look at a black 2012 today but I'm hooked on the blue... Maybe white
Still hunting

Old 03-14-2016, 12:48 PM

On another one.... 8800 kms!!

2012 Jaguar XK R Coupe Dynamic + Black Pack for $76,980 in Vancouver | autoTRADER.ca

going to need some history help from here as they have very little.....

Old 03-14-2016, 03:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Thanks, saw that one but it's too far away

Did look at a black 2012 today but I'm hooked on the blue... Maybe white
Still hunting
Because these cars are scarce you have to open your horizons and search the whole country. You already know how they drive so now you need to find one that fits your priorities. I drove my 1st test drive on a car in Long Island which is an hour away from me. I bought my car after a 6 month search from NH and only saw it from pictures the dealer sent me. Was a low mileage CPO car at a dealer for a trade in. Bought the car and had it shipped. If you are looking for one to drop in your neighborhood I think the odd are very low. Do a "anywhere" search and make some calls. Worse case you get on a plane and go see the car or best case you get it inspected (paid PPI) and buy it and have it shipped. Also contact large market Jag dealers and lock in with a salesmen and have them call if they find what you want. I had a guy in Boston , NYC , Chicago , Virginia , NC, FL. , Atlanta , Miami , Dallas , you get the picture. If you want one you can find one. Good luck

AllblueACR (03-14-2016)
Old 03-14-2016, 05:48 PM
Default ??

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Because these cars are scarce you have to open your horizons and search the whole country. You already know how they drive so now you need to find one that fits your priorities. I drove my 1st test drive on a car in Long Island which is an hour away from me. I bought my car after a 6 month search from NH and only saw it from pictures the dealer sent me. Was a low mileage CPO car at a dealer for a trade in. Bought the car and had it shipped. If you are looking for one to drop in your neighborhood I think the odd are very low. Do a "anywhere" search and make some calls. Worse case you get on a plane and go see the car or best case you get it inspected (paid PPI) and buy it and have it shipped. Also contact large market Jag dealers and lock in with a salesmen and have them call if they find what you want. I had a guy in Boston , NYC , Chicago , Virginia , NC, FL. , Atlanta , Miami , Dallas , you get the picture. If you want one you can find one. Good luck
what do you think of the white 2012 I linked to? nice 11 hour drive in the Viper and 11 hours back in the Jag...

Old 03-14-2016, 07:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 282 Likes on 170 Posts

what do you think of the white 2012 I linked to? nice 11 hour drive in the Viper and 11 hours back in the Jag...

It looks like an XKR, but not an XKR-S. Have you opened up your search to XKR's as well?

Old 03-14-2016, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by JagRag
It looks like an XKR, but not an XKR-S. Have you opened up your search to XKR's as well?
Yes, to some. Dynamic and black pack make this car a contender