XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Asking for service records

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 12:16 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Asking for service records

What can be expected of the Jag dealer you purchased a CPO from to give you ALL the service records of a car that was driven in another state? I see my car's previous owner was from NJ and there were at least two dealerships he took it to. (sales guy emailed me some doc with his first initial and last name). Not sure who it is, but would I have to contact those dealers and would they give me such info?

What kind of answer would I get from the dealer I purchased it if asking for the service records? I have the multipoint inspection 160+ only...not every oil change. Sales guy said he would ask and email me last time oil was changed. I'm going to show up in person today to take care of some things.

Thanks,
GR

Old 07-09-2017, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Some dealers will cooperate and some won't. I bought my one owner car from the dealer who serviced it. I asked for a copy of the service record and told them I don't need to see the previous owners name or address . Just wanted the history. They scanned in the records and sent me a PDF with the info. I provided a copy of this to my dealer who has it on record. Also included was the CPO certification checklist and documents. Be nice about it and see what you get. Oh I worked this with the sales guy and the service manager.

The following users liked this post:
GhostRider9000 (07-09-2017)
Old 07-09-2017, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member

Oh they did contact the previous owner and asked her for the window sticker which they sent me and I had laminated.

Old 07-09-2017, 01:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,166 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Same as Jagtoes and applies to all my cars past and present. It's a deal breaker for me. I've never had push back but as Jagtoes mentions, they can simply de-identify the owner.

I've never received records with previous owner information on them.
Some people say dealers might site privacy concerns but that's bunk if they remove the PO's info. These aren't medical records:-)

Old 07-09-2017, 01:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 86 Posts

I just went through it. I had a PPI done at Jaguar in Brentwood TN and asked if the car had been serviced there. The SA checked and confirmed the 2nd owner had been there. I asked for copies and he printed them out (sans owner name). Eight pages with service history going back to May of 2013 when it was sold to owner #2 as CPO.

Old 07-09-2017, 02:11 PM

So far so good. Manager apologized and said he'd have someone call me tomorrow and provide a loaner vehicle as it may take up to two days to fix the dings. I have the paperwork where this CPO was serviced (3 diff Jag dealers in NJ all about a year apart). Will call when open and see if they can provide some details.

No one in the department on Sunday to get out of the ding shield / tire service program, and will confirm again when they call that THIS isn't considered using Ding Service Insurance for the repairs.

Old 07-23-2017, 08:04 AM

So, juts to clarify this one, it was a misunderstanding...by saying, "We'll take care of it." He meant, "bring it in and we'll have it fixed, but you'll have to use the ding repair service."
Supposedly any preexisting dings aren't covered, but they seem to be honoring the service I purchased and the guy who walked around the car when there who would be doing the work said he doesn't look at fine print (must be no bigger than credit card, 3/4 inch from furthest out point on door, etc.), and if he can fix them, he will. Be curious to see them say, "oh sorry, those 4 of the 8 weren't covered, that will be 400.00." But we'll see. Getting the work done mid August...it's a 2 hour job tops, and I have to wait until mid-August? WTH?

Old 07-23-2017, 02:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 651 Likes on 477 Posts

I have always gotten the service records from dealers, just without the previous owners personal info.

Old 07-23-2017, 04:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GhostRider9000
So, juts to clarify this one, it was a misunderstanding...by saying, "We'll take care of it." He meant, "bring it in and we'll have it fixed, but you'll have to use the ding repair service."
Supposedly any preexisting dings aren't covered, but they seem to be honoring the service I purchased and the guy who walked around the car when there who would be doing the work said he doesn't look at fine print (must be no bigger than credit card, 3/4 inch from furthest out point on door, etc.), and if he can fix them, he will. Be curious to see them say, "oh sorry, those 4 of the 8 weren't covered, that will be 400.00." But we'll see. Getting the work done mid August...it's a 2 hour job tops, and I have to wait until mid-August? WTH?
In my previous work life I always went with the saying " never written , never said". So unless you have it in writing you will be charged . Remember "good will" also requires it to be written.

The following users liked this post:
GhostRider9000 (07-29-2017)