XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

How do you turn your car off?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 07:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 86 Posts
Default How do you turn your car off?

Whenever I turn the engine off, I get out and push the lock button on the remote. The SA at the local dealership told me I was doing it wrong and causing electronics to stay on for 15 minutes. He said to turn all the systems off, you have to hit the lock button twice. On the second push, you'll hear an audible beep that lets you know everything is off. He also said to never leave the smart key in the car or within 25 feet of it or the systems will not totally shut down. I wonder if there are others out there who didn't know this and it might be why so many folks have battery problems?

Old 07-21-2017, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

Common theme is to hit the lock button on the door and that tells the car to go to sleep earlier. My spare fob stays pretty close to the car when it's in the garage without issue.

Old 07-21-2017, 08:37 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ranchero50
Common theme is to hit the lock button on the door and that tells the car to go to sleep earlier. My spare fob stays pretty close to the car when it's in the garage without issue.
According to the Service Advisor at Jaguar here, the car stays awake for 15 minutes if the fob is in the car or within 25 feet of it. I had never heard that before.

Old 07-21-2017, 08:52 AM
Received 194 Likes on 123 Posts

25 feet is nonsense. The sensors inside the car for key-less go aren't sensitive enough to detect the key reliably if you have it in the door pockets, according to the manual and the car certainly won't start unless the key is inside. You have to have the key within 1 meter of the door handles for the keyless entry to work as well.

If you shut the car down, get out and close the door without locking then it stays in convenience mode for some time (not sure exactly how long) but if you lock the car then the ECU starts to shut things down, according to the workshop manual the car is totally shut down after 20 minutes.

The following users liked this post:
chazaroo (07-22-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 09:36 AM
Received 420 Likes on 205 Posts

I turn mine off by telling it, "no more chrome or trinkets for you". Just like my wife, she shuts down pretty fast.

shemp (07-24-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by 8bit
You have to have the key within 1 meter of the door handles for the keyless entry to work as well.
With a new battery in the fob I can get the doors unlocked and windows down at 40'. My sons Lincoln will do it at almost 100'. Gives the car a chance to cool off before I get in.

chazaroo (07-22-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 11:09 AM
Received 80 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by chazaroo
The SA at the local dealership told me I was doing it wrong and causing electronics to stay on for 15 minutes. He said to turn all the systems off, you have to hit the lock button twice. On the second push, you'll hear an audible beep that lets you know everything is off.

Do you hear a beep when you hit the button a second time? I seem to remember another thread here where the conclusion was that USA cars (maybe others) do not have the "double lock" feature. One push is all that is needed. A second push does nothing. Just my understanding. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

To answer the OP's question. I lock my doors by pushing the button on the door handle. Much easier than digging through my pocket for the fob and then pushing a button.

chazaroo (07-22-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 11:31 AM
Received 198 Likes on 140 Posts

This has come up before and most people agree the double lock is the quickest method to get the Cat to turn all its modules off and go to sleep. Single lock, either with the FOB or the door button will lock the car but some of the modules remain awake for a period of time before shutting down. As for distance between the car and the FOB while locked, the manual states that the car will only recognize the FOB from about one meter. I have had two incidents since I bought the Cat where I grabbed the Cadillac FOB from our key tray (about 25 feet from the Cat), walked out to the garage and pulled the door handle. The door opened and the alarm went off causing me to make a mad dash back in the house to get the right FOB and shut off the alarm.

I always double lock the Cat with the door handle button, first push, no sound, second push beep.

Last edited by JackJohn; 07-21-2017 at 11:33 AM.
chazaroo (07-22-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,150 Likes on 3,085 Posts

I also do the double-lock with the door handle button.

chazaroo (07-22-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 11:45 AM
Received 214 Likes on 149 Posts

With a new battery in the fob I can get the doors unlocked and windows down at 40'. My sons Lincoln will do it at almost 100'. Gives the car a chance to cool off before I get in.
There is a difference between unlocking the doors with the keyfob transmitter
from afar and the car's transmitter sensing the keyfob when it is near the car to allow the door to be opened.

chazaroo (07-22-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

dont sweat it. I have seldom locked my doors.

There is one big caution to double locking, doors cannot be opened from the inside. So if you get into the habit of double locking- get in the habit of double checking that your passenger got out.

chazaroo (07-22-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 01:02 PM
Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

I always double lock so I can hear the horn beep when I'm walking away then I know its locked.

chazaroo (07-22-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 11:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

I use the lock button on the doors to lock the car as well as to put up the top and windows. My key fob works about 20-30 feet away from the car to unlock and put the top down depending up where it is in relation to the car. It doesn't work too well at a distance from the back end of the car.

chazaroo (07-22-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 04:14 AM
Received 194 Likes on 123 Posts

Correct and so can I, but as davchr says this isn't the same thing. When you press the buttons on the remote it transmits a signal to the car. With keyless entry, if you pull the door handle then the car transmits first, a low-power, short-range signal which the key picks up and then it replies.

Otherwise, if you parked outside your house and left the key in the house but within a few meters or so of the car, someone could get in and drive away without having to first acquire the key, wouldn't they?

chazaroo (07-22-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 06:03 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by LoudHogRider
I turn mine off by telling it, "no more chrome or trinkets for you". Just like my wife, she shuts down pretty fast.
Hilarious!

LoudHogRider (07-24-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 06:04 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by carealtor
Do you hear a beep when you hit the button a second time? I seem to remember another thread here where the conclusion was that USA cars (maybe others) do not have the "double lock" feature. One push is all that is needed. A second push does nothing. Just my understanding. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

To answer the OP's question. I lock my doors by pushing the button on the door handle. Much easier than digging through my pocket for the fob and then pushing a button.
When I push the button a second time, there is a beep.

Old 07-22-2017, 06:09 AM
Veteran Member

So, the original point is that perhaps not doing the second push of the button puts extra strain on the battery. Could that be contributory to the battery problems that pop up here so often?

Old 07-22-2017, 11:15 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 8bit
Correct and so can I, but as davchr says this isn't the same thing. When you press the buttons on the remote it transmits a signal to the car. With keyless entry, if you pull the door handle then the car transmits first, a low-power, short-range signal which the key picks up and then it replies.

Otherwise, if you parked outside your house and left the key in the house but within a few meters or so of the car, someone could get in and drive away without having to first acquire the key, wouldn't they?
Wouldn't there need to be a key fob INSIDE the car for it to start?

Old 07-22-2017, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,150 Likes on 3,085 Posts

I turn my car off by pressing the large red "Start" button while the engine is running.

Old 07-22-2017, 02:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

Originally Posted by davchr
There is a difference between unlocking the doors with the keyfob transmitter from afar and the car's transmitter sensing the keyfob when it is near the car to allow the door to be opened.
Most of the time, the car doesn't care about fobs; it doesn't continuously try to sense them. However, when you pull on the handle or push the hatch release, and only when you do that, the car's security module transmits a low-power interrogation signal with a range of only about 1m. If it receives a response from a fob that it can authenticate, it unlocks the door/hatch and allows it to open. So there is no issue in keeping a fob near the car, other than a security issue (i.e., anyone can open the door).