XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

auto transport

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 04:45 PM
Received 78 Likes on 23 Posts
Default auto transport

in the process of having the XK convertible shipped and was wanting some recommendations as to shippers. have been advised to make sure the car is on top to avoid drips but I'm not sure if that is possible. is it that big of a deal? I also was told by one shipper that convertibles typically are placed on top to reduce height restrictions . any advise appreciated.
thanks

The following users liked this post:
CaptHank (06-06-2016)
Old 05-31-2016, 06:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by fishbait1
in the process of having the XK convertible shipped and was wanting some recommendations as to shippers. have been advised to make sure the car is on top to avoid drips but I'm not sure if that is possible. is it that big of a deal? I also was told by one shipper that convertibles typically are placed on top to reduce height restrictions . any advise appreciated.
thanks
I have used Intercity Transports and a friend has use Reliable Carriers to transport their Corvette and Ferrari. I would not go with an open carrier . Get it shipped in an enclosed truck. I had a new Audi A4 shipped from Fl. to NY using Intercity Transports. They ship cars for Jay Leno and other classic car businesses. They inspect the car before shipment and bring it to you in great shape.

Attached Thumbnails auto transport-dsc00145.jpg   auto transport-dsc00147.jpg  
Old 05-31-2016, 06:13 PM
Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

I agree, closed is the way to go. Both carriers mentioned have excellent reputations with the people I know.

Old 05-31-2016, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

I have bought many vehicles over the last 6 years and always used an open carrier to transport the vehicle. Most vehicles transported in America are shipped open trailer.

The position on the trailer is strictly dependent upon the driver of the transport and what deliveries has to make or pick up of vehicles.

I had my 1965 classic Mustang transported open carrier, no problems.

I had my Jaguar XKR Portfolio Edition transported open carrier, no problems.

I had my new 2015 Corvette C7 transported open carrier, no problems.

My wife's new 2017 Kia Sportage was transported open carrier, no problems.

I would use a highly respected transport broker to arrange the transport as this is what they specialize in. They will collect a fee of about $200 to $300 for their respective service. You will pay the transport broker in advance via credit card, and pay the driver cash upon delivery.

Go to transportreviews.com to get an idea of what people are saying about auto transport companies.

Complete your due diligence before making a selection. The most expensive will be closed transport and top name brand carriers. Expect to pay twice the price of a closed transport vs open transport.

Current rates of open transport are $.70 to $1.00 per mile.

Old 06-02-2016, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by SickRob
I agree, closed is the way to go. Both carriers mentioned have excellent reputations with the people I know.
+1 . Think about your investment. Why take even the slightest chance of a mishap to your car to save a few hundred dollars. I had my car shipped enclosed from PA to Florida 2 years ago. It cost approximately $1150. Not sure of today's cost. The car came off the truck as I left it with only a little dust. I wouldn't even consider another method.

Old 06-05-2016, 06:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I just came back from a 5 day visit with some friends and relatives in Jacksonville. While there we went through a few of the Fl. pop up storms. If there was a reason to ship a car in a covered van those type of events would convince me. By the way when we got the Audi from Fl. the dealer had the car detailed before the pick up. The trucker (husband & wife team) after reviewing the car and generating a status sheet covered the car as it was loaded into the truck. When delivered they uncovered it and went through the status sheet with me verifying condition where I signed for it. Another thing was I was shipping from the south into the north during the winter months. That's my thoughts and I' sticking to it.

Old 06-05-2016, 06:51 PM
Received 78 Likes on 23 Posts

took everybody's advise. paid extra to have it shipped in an enclosed trailer . hoping to have it by the end of the week but haven't got a shipping confirmation yet.

Old 06-05-2016, 08:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by fishbait1
took everybody's advise. paid extra to have it shipped in an enclosed trailer . hoping to have it by the end of the week but haven't got a shipping confirmation yet.
Who did you select and how far is it being shipped?

Go direct or via a truck broker or dealer set it up for you?