XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Battery Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 09:40 AM
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Battery Issues?

So, here's what happened. I was awakened by my wife this morning (different work schedules) telling me the Jag wont start.

So I went to investigate. It was dead as a doornail. It wouldn't even unlock. The battery had given no indication it was getting low that I know of. So I got out the key from the Key FOB and I opened the trunk, and could not figure out where the electrical posts were, so I drove her to work and came back to study the owner's manual. After figuring it out, I hooked up my 1999 Ford Explorer to it with cables. Sat down in the driver's seat, put my foot on the break, and pushed the start button. Nothing. Not a sound. So I wiggled the + terminal connection and got a big POP with sparks (that is a HORRIBLE position for the positive terminal to be in) and the antenna started coming up. YAY!!!!! So I got in and she was very sluggish turning over, but she did. First thing I noticed, the trip set and MPG info were reset to zero. I don't know my wife's radio stations well enough to know if the radio kept the presets. But I COULD SWEAR the power steering felt weak. Like I was not getting enough power assist. Is that a thing that could be related to a weak battery? DO I HAVE a weak battery? Or just a poor connection to the electrical harness? What do you guys think this sounds like?

I'm afraid to let her drive it to work now. Would love some feedback from you long-timers.

Old 10-09-2017, 09:49 AM

I drove it for about 10 miles at highway speed and came back home and just shut it off. The antenna went down, the doors locked from the FOB like normal. We shall see. But I am concerned that this is a glitch (which is unpredictable, and is not fixed by a new battery) instead of a dying battery (which is predictable, and fixed by a new battery).

Old 10-09-2017, 10:04 AM

One more issue: there was no battery idiot light on the dash when I finally got it started. Just the check engine light (related to the P2431 code - secondary air pump vacuum, which I deem totally unrelated... but what do I know).

Oh, also the radio antenna has not been going all the way down for about a week. It gets to about 4 inches from all the way down and stops. COULD IT BE that the battery is trying to pull it down, but it is stuck, so it just keeps trying and trying until the battery is totally drained???

Old 10-09-2017, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,168 Likes on 2,336 Posts

The antenna's on the 07 can be a PIA and this has been a problem with the retracting version since the 80's. IMO, they just suck. Take a look at this thread and particularly @ post 9 by Gregory.

If you need to replace, look at post 5 or post 10. But no, it's not your battery. If you're fast enough, when you shut off the car, jump out and put your hand on top of the antenna. As it's going down, apply light pressure for the last quarter and you'll likely feel the mast motor is still working, just dunked up or a tad bent.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ntenna-181166/

Old 10-09-2017, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

Also, ten minute run probably didn't bring the battery up very far.

Old 10-09-2017, 11:52 AM

So, you are saying that I have identified
​​​​​ the problem probably? That the motor is continually trying to retract the antenna and is running down the battery?

Old 10-09-2017, 12:47 PM
Received 198 Likes on 140 Posts

GS2000, I doubt the antenna continued to run more than a few seconds after it stuck. Definitely, something was left on all night and drug the battery completely down. When you first got it started, did you notice anything unusual still operating. I agree with Ranchero, a 10 minute drive didn't do very much. Either charge it with a regular (10 amp) battery charger or go for an hour drive at high speed.

Old 10-09-2017, 01:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 549 Likes on 380 Posts

My battery went without warning, at Discount Tire! Started fine, drove to get tires, wouldn't start for them. Once I got home, I charged it on a charger overnight. Started once, turned the car off, then dead again.

Sounds like new battery time for you.

Old 10-09-2017, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by shemp
My battery went without warning, at Discount Tire! Started fine, drove to get tires, wouldn't start for them. Once I got home, I charged it on a charger overnight. Started once, turned the car off, then dead again.

Sounds like new battery time for you.
Well, I hope that's the extent of it, and not some poor connection or a fried mother board.

Old 10-09-2017, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by JackJohn
GS2000, I doubt the antenna continued to run more than a few seconds after it stuck. Definitely, something was left on all night and drug the battery completely down. When you first got it started, did you notice anything unusual still operating. I agree with Ranchero, a 10 minute drive didn't do very much. Either charge it with a regular (10 amp) battery charger or go for an hour drive at high speed.
Other than the power steering feeling weak (which feels back to normal now after a 2 hour round trip into town), the only thing I have noticed is that the auto-up doesn't work on the driver-side window. The auto-down does work, but you have to pull the button up continually for the window to go up.

I have not tried to operate the rag-top. Since we don't have a garage at our house, I am not going to until I know for certain that all electrical issues are fixed.

Old 10-09-2017, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Consult handbook.

The following users liked this post:
Geosnooker2000 (10-09-2017)
Old 10-09-2017, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,168 Likes on 2,336 Posts

Originally Posted by Geosnooker2000
So, you are saying that I have identified
​​​​​ the problem probably? That the motor is continually trying to retract the antenna and is running down the battery?
No sorry, that wasn't what I meant. I was addressing the antenna not collapsing completely. Your motor won't continue to run non stop. Two different issues.

Geosnooker2000 (10-11-2017)
Old 10-09-2017, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

Power steering is only hydraulic if memory serves. I would take the car by a battery shop and let them load test the battery. I doubt it'll pass and I wouldn't put the top down until you trust it since the top smothers the battery access.

Old 10-10-2017, 10:56 AM
Received 198 Likes on 140 Posts

Other than the power steering feeling weak (which feels back to normal now after a 2 hour round trip into town), the only thing I have noticed is that the auto-up doesn't work on the driver-side window. The auto-down does work, but you have to pull the button up continually for the window to go up.

I have not tried to operate the rag-top. Since we don't have a garage at our house, I am not going to until I know for certain that all electrical issues are fixed.
GS2000, the windows probably need a reset after the loss of battery power. Hold the button down for 3 to 5 seconds after the window is completely down, then hold the button up for 3 to 5 seconds after the window is completely up. I know it sounds strange but you may have to repeat the procedure a few times before it will take.

Remove the cover panels so the battery is visible and take it to Auto Zone or one of the other larger parts houses and get it checked.

Old 10-10-2017, 10:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

Geosnooker. It sounds like new battery time to me. Most batteries last no more than around 4-5 years if the car is used on a regular basis. XKs are very persnickety when it comes to batteries. There are several threads on this forum dealing with battery issues.

Old 10-11-2017, 12:13 PM
Received 333 Likes on 201 Posts

For resetting the 'auto up' window feature hold BOTH driver and passenger side windows buttons up for a few seconds after they are closed (you will hear a clicking sound). This will reset the 'auto up feature' windows. Do this while sitting in the car with the door closed.

Old 10-11-2017, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by michaelodonnell123
For resetting the 'auto up' window feature hold BOTH driver and passenger side windows buttons up for a few seconds after they are closed (you will hear a clicking sound). This will reset the 'auto up feature' windows. Do this while sitting in the car with the door closed.
I did that, thanks guys! The Jag is acting like nothing ever happened now. Like it was all just a dream. What a jerk of a car..... Just kidding. I absolutely love this thing.

Old 10-11-2017, 11:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 549 Likes on 380 Posts

Maybe you had a loose/bad connection on the battery terminal so it wasn't charging properly. Mucking around with it might have improved the connection....