XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Blower Motor

Old 04-14-2016, 04:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blower Motor

I have a 2007 xkr. The bushings on the blower motor started chirping and by the time I got home, the motor had stopped. I took the motor out, lubricated the bushings and reinstalled the motor. When I turn on the engine or ignition, the blower runs for maybe 1 second or so, then stops. Nothing I do will make it start. Raising or lowering the thermostat makes no difference nor doe using the manual fan control knob. I have done a hard reset on the car - but it didn't help...does anyone have a suggestion.
Thanks

Old 04-14-2016, 06:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

Maybe it is time to replace the blower motor. sounds like bad bearings.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:32 AM

I removed the motor and lubricated the bushings at the motor turns freely now I have done this twice on my Corvette which has 290,000 miles and it works fine. Like I said, when I plug in the Jag fan, it takes off like it should and runs great for just a second or two then cuts off.......but maybe you are right for another reason. I have not tried just powering the motor from a battery a known continuous power source. If it runs ok with the battery, then it is something in the cars system. IF not, then it is the motor.....Thanks for your reply - Looks like I have a few more tests to run......

Old 04-17-2016, 11:00 PM
Received 131 Likes on 96 Posts

I had a similar problem. It was the fan control module. I don't think it was too expensive (for a Jaguar!) If the fan runs on a known power source it almost has to be the control module.
Dave

Old 04-20-2016, 07:49 AM
Default Blower Motor

Dave, Thanks for your help. I have finally figured it out.....When the bearings get dry, the motor drags and the air flow is diminished in the cars ductwork. The blower controller is mounted so that aluminum cooling fins from the unit extend into the duct work. These fins are kept cool by the flowing air. The controller is basically a transistor that regulates the amount of voltage going to the fan motor which make it get hot. If the unit gets too hot from low air flow a thermo-fuse located in the blower control unit melts and breaks the circuit completely. If you disassemble the unit, you will see the fuse - looks like a small resistor and is rated at 114 degrees 2 amps. Replacing this little thermo-fuse restores the operation of the controller. The thermo-fuse is a $5 item. The blower controller costs from $160 up to $300+. So a bit of time and finding the thermo-fuse on the internet and a bit of solder can save a bunch of $$$$.

Old 04-27-2016, 04:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,409 Posts

Did you ever get this sorted out?

By some strange coincidence, I recently had a new dash fascia replaced by the dealer and the tech recommended I replace the perfectly good controller module (transistor with heat sink) since replacing it in the future would require removing the fascia again. Within a day of getting the car back, the blower started making a chirping cricket sound at low speed, but would go away at higher speeds. After 2 more days of this the chirping got worse and a slight rattle noise developed and shortly after that, the speed of the blower became erratic. I removed the blower and if I spin the cage, sometime there is a slight squeak but not a chirp, also it does not move freely and requires some effort to spin it.

Any thoughts or experiences with this? Thanks.