XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

borla pro-xs mufflers on otherwise stock system results...

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 05:49 PM
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Default borla pro-xs mufflers on otherwise stock system results...

I had a pair of borla 14" pro-xs mufflers and borla dual tips installed on my 07' xkr yesterday and i'm not that thrilled with the results.

even with the stock 2 mid-mufflers in place, the car still has a pretty decent amount of cabin drone between 1300-1800 rpm. it's too much for my liking and def too much for my wife. it sounds good overall apart from the drone, but it also isn't as sexy as I had hoped for. it seems as it I've lost a little of the stock (fuse 19 removed) pop and gurgle on decal. that classis overly deep borla tone s there and the car just doesn't sound to great in the upp-rpm's. I was hoping for more and better.

I am going to install 4 of borla's venturi's before and after the muffs, that they claim will knock-out most of the drone. if it doesn't, i'm looking heavily at dynomax's VT series no-drone mufflers. I just cannot take drone and i'm looking for a more aggressive sound too than what the borla's are giving me.

I wonder if I should consider removing the 2nd mid-muffler to achieve some more of the burble and pop and to up the db a tad. that won't help the drone issue, of course. thoughts?

Old 07-18-2015, 07:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 196 Posts

I just installed a Spires Stage 3 active in a friends 2010 XKR. Wow was I impressed. No drone when driving at highway cruising speeds. It almost sounds to quiet but you will then get a slight burble to remind you something is different. If you jump on the gas or select dynamic mode all hell breaks loose. The smile will never come off your face. The system is like a piece of art it is so well made. It is a classic example of you get what you pay for. The installation is straight forward, everything lines right up. I was just overwhelmed at the high quality. If I had bought had bought an XKR instead of an F Type R my car would have the system installed. Just my 2 cents.

Old 07-18-2015, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by JgaXkr
I just installed a Spires Stage 3 active in a friends 2010 XKR. Wow was I impressed. No drone when driving at highway cruising speeds. It almost sounds to quiet but you will then get a slight burble to remind you something is different. If you jump on the gas or select dynamic mode all hell breaks loose. The smile will never come off your face. The system is like a piece of art it is so well made. It is a classic example of you get what you pay for. The installation is straight forward, everything lines right up. I was just overwhelmed at the high quality. If I had bought had bought an XKR instead of an F Type R my car would have the system installed. Just my 2 cents.

my car has zero drone after about 50mph in 6th gear, so highway and back roads are perfect. it's only around town at low rpm. it's not bad, i'm just very sensitive to drone. I think the venturis will cure it. if not, i'll try some other mufflers. i'm not spending silly money on a mina or paramount. two good muffs can work well and are MUCH less expensive.

Old 07-19-2015, 09:05 AM
Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

I modified my stock rear box and did away with the center mufflers and did an x pipe. Not quite loud enough for my taste but no drone and still has the pops/bangs. Can you post a video of yours with the borlas?

Old 07-19-2015, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I have the performance exhaust on my 2012 XKR and I get a drone in between 45-50 MPH. To be exact if I put it on CC at 48 MPH the drone is there. It's not the tires and nothing is loose in the exhaust system so I am assuming it's the exhaust. I do a lot of around town driving and unfortunately it is in that speed range. As soon as I hit 50 MPH it is completely gone. I'll have to check my RPM at that speed to see if it is in that 1800 range. Oh this is in 6th just cruising down the road. If anyone knows the cause or how to fix it I would be interested.

Old 07-21-2015, 04:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

I have the PAE (x-pipe) on mine, and I don't have a noticeable drone issue. It may be an individual car issue, since it's all about resonant frequencies and those can be so easily affected by very small differences (weld thickness, exact positioning of clamps, etc.)

Old 07-22-2015, 03:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This might not be the same issue, but I'll bring it up for the off chance that it is relevant.

When I'm cruising at 70-80 km/h (43-49mph) I get an annoying drone, but only when I'm in 6th gear. The car is constantly on the edge of downshifting, but the gearbox insists on trying to stay in 6th. If I downshift manually, the revs go up a bit, and the droning goes away, but it eventually shifts back up to 6th. If the noise bothers you, maybe put it in sport mode so you can manually select 5th for those speeds?

Old 07-23-2015, 02:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

I'd only go for a total designed system for an XK; just replacing mufflers or "going it alone" is not going to fare well on your car or perhaps your wallet.

Old 07-25-2015, 11:14 PM
Rey
Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

Exhaust drone is a big problem with most V8 motors, particularly Chevrolet Corvette and Jaguar. These mfgs deal with drone vis a vie an "active exhaust' which in effect is two exhaust systems - a drone free conventional big muffler system which opens up upon demand to a loud performance system. Some after market mfgs try to deal with drone by a helmholtz (sic) chamber. Dynomax's VT muffler has a spring loaded flap, much like the XK's muffler, which deadens exhaust sound with the flap partially closed and which opens for a flow-through muffler upon demand.
I had Dynomax VT's on a Hyundai Genesis RSpec for 30K miles before I sold it. They eliminated drone almost completely and were trouble free.
Road testers are raving about the new F's exhaust. Check out it's part fiche - the rear muffer looks exactly like the XKR's, but different part number. Center mufflers are deleted and replaced by a shallow "X", which is available from Dynomax.
Before laying out big bucks for a gleaming aftermarket exhaust, I would modify the XKR's with a Dynomax "x" pipe. Then I would add an electrical switch to the vacuum pump which services the rear muffler. By doing this I think exhaust sound would be very close if not identical to a V8 "F". If I didn't like the system I could reverse it or then spend the big bucks on an aftermarket system.

Old 07-26-2015, 08:38 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Rey
Exhaust drone is a big problem with most V8 motors, particularly Chevrolet Corvette and Jaguar. These mfgs deal with drone vis a vie an "active exhaust' which in effect is two exhaust systems - a drone free conventional big muffler system which opens up upon demand to a loud performance system. Some after market mfgs try to deal with drone by a helmholtz (sic) chamber. Dynomax's VT muffler has a spring loaded flap, much like the XK's muffler, which deadens exhaust sound with the flap partially closed and which opens for a flow-through muffler upon demand.
I had Dynomax VT's on a Hyundai Genesis RSpec for 30K miles before I sold it. They eliminated drone almost completely and were trouble free.
Road testers are raving about the new F's exhaust. Check out it's part fiche - the rear muffer looks exactly like the XKR's, but different part number. Center mufflers are deleted and replaced by a shallow "X", which is available from Dynomax.
Before laying out big bucks for a gleaming aftermarket exhaust, I would modify the XKR's with a Dynomax "x" pipe. Then I would add an electrical switch to the vacuum pump which services the rear muffler. By doing this I think exhaust sound would be very close if not identical to a V8 "F". If I didn't like the system I could reverse it or then spend the big bucks on an aftermarket system.
After taking a test drive in an F-Type R with the performance exhaust I wonder if the same sound could be had in an XKR by just replacing the muffler. This assumes you have the performance exhaust . Is the muffler a direct replacement or are there other system modifications/SW changes to make the F-Type sound that way. By the way I like the performance system on my XKR as it give me the best of both worlds. In normal mode at highway speeds with the top down it is quiet but you know it's there. If you punch it to pass it lets the world know you have something special under the hood. If you want to have full time noise then just press the button and you have it. Oh the only difference I heard between the F and my XKR is the pronounced burble while de-accelerating on the city streets which all seem to want to replicate. Unlike my old 63 Corvette with factory side exhaust I prefer the XKR for it's quietness when I want it.

Old 07-26-2015, 12:02 PM
Rey

From the views of a parts fiche, the mufflers appear to be identical. Part number for a 2012 XKR muffler is C2P2465, and for a 2015 "F" is T2R14179. Cost is well north of $1500 each.

I think that much of the burble, crackle of the "F" exhaust is due to the shallow "x". Note, it is not a true 90 degree X like that sold by Magnatek. It is more like a shallow balance tube. This would me my first mod. I think a budget of $200 for this is doable.

I think the XKR and F may have different control settings. I have the CD disc shop manual for the 2007. Here is a direct quote from the 2007 CD:

"The active exhaust system is controlled by the ECM. The ECM controls a vacuum control valve which in turn applies a vacuum to the active exhaust valves. The vacuum system comprises:

• A vacuum reservoir
  • A vacuum pump
  • A control solenoid
  • a vacuum check/non return valve
  • a vacuum restrictor valve located located in the vacuum line just above the check valve.
The vacuum restrictor valve allow air back into the vacuum lines to allow the active exhaust valves to open more slowly than they close.

The active exhaust valves are opened in response to engine speed and throttle angle. At startup the valve is always opened to give an enhanced sound."

"At engine speeds above 4000 RPM the valves are open independent of throttle angle. The active exhaust valves are either open or closed they do not partially open."

The vacuum pump contraption is located in the inner left rear fender. The vacuum pump is electrical, receiving a signal from the ECM. If you interrupt this signal with a simple switch you should be able to open the exhaust valves at will and be able to retain the quieter sound at cruise levels according the ECM program. No doubt the F has different ECM programming, so consider this a "work- around".

Old 07-26-2015, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

Originally Posted by Rey
........ The vacuum pump is electrical, receiving a signal from the ECM. If you interrupt this signal with a simple switch you should be able to open the exhaust valves at will and be able to retain the quieter sound at cruise levels according the ECM program. No doubt the F has different ECM programming, so consider this a "work- around".
IE: Fuse 19, with or without a fuse bypass switch installed.

Old 07-26-2015, 02:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Rey
From the views of a parts fiche, the mufflers appear to be identical. Part number for a 2012 XKR muffler is C2P2465, and for a 2015 "F" is T2R14179. Cost is well north of $1500 each.

I think that much of the burble, crackle of the "F" exhaust is due to the shallow "x". Note, it is not a true 90 degree X like that sold by Magnatek. It is more like a shallow balance tube. This would me my first mod. I think a budget of $200 for this is doable.

I think the XKR and F may have different control settings. I have the CD disc shop manual for the 2007. Here is a direct quote from the 2007 CD:

"The active exhaust system is controlled by the ECM. The ECM controls a vacuum control valve which in turn applies a vacuum to the active exhaust valves. The vacuum system comprises:

• A vacuum reservoir
  • A vacuum pump
  • A control solenoid
  • a vacuum check/non return valve
  • a vacuum restrictor valve located located in the vacuum line just above the check valve.
The vacuum restrictor valve allow air back into the vacuum lines to allow the active exhaust valves to open more slowly than they close.

The active exhaust valves are opened in response to engine speed and throttle angle. At startup the valve is always opened to give an enhanced sound."

"At engine speeds above 4000 RPM the valves are open independent of throttle angle. The active exhaust valves are either open or closed they do not partially open."

The vacuum pump contraption is located in the inner left rear fender. The vacuum pump is electrical, receiving a signal from the ECM. If you interrupt this signal with a simple switch you should be able to open the exhaust valves at will and be able to retain the quieter sound at cruise levels according the ECM program. No doubt the F has different ECM programming, so consider this a "work- around".
Rey just an FYI on my 2012 XKR I have the performance exhaust with the shallow X pipe. Also you can manually open the by pass valve by pressing the DSC (flag) button which keeps the valve open. It would be interesting to hear what the F-Type muffler sound like on an XKR but I doubt to many will do this considering the price tag.

Old 07-26-2015, 03:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

The valves are controlled by the ECM, based on RPM and throttle opening. The RPM parameters are different between the 4.2 and 5.0 XKRs, and may well be different again for the F-Type. For the 5.0, selecting manual gearchange (by pulling a paddle) or switching to Dynamic Mode with the DSC button will also open the valves.

Old 07-26-2015, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Rey

I didn't find one from dynomax that was the right shape, but this one from magnaflow looks like it would do the trick. would this one be considered shallow?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mpe-10791

Last edited by multistrada74; 07-26-2015 at 09:18 PM.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:32 AM
Rey

Dynomax has several "X" pipes. I think the X pipe that the F uses is just a simple shallow X, which is more a balance pipe than a true crossover. The Magnaflow under Summit 10791 is more of a true "X". Borla also offers a shallow X design on many applications.
Here is what Summit Racing sells on Dynomax:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-53716

Old 07-27-2015, 10:50 AM

borla has no universal x-pipe. the other magna one is a bit much lol. think i'll be solid with the one I found. tnx dude!

Old 06-27-2017, 04:42 AM
Received 177 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdhenderson
I modified my stock rear box and did away with the center mufflers and did an x pipe. Not quite loud enough for my taste but no drone and still has the pops/bangs. Can you post a video of yours with the borlas?

How did you modify your rear box?

I want to do the same!!

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-sound-184600/

so far I have resonator delete, and X pipe installed

Old 06-27-2017, 08:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

I thought the blupping sound of pedal on the F-type was due to additional gas being shot into the car on purpose for the F-type (like a controlled back fire). Porsche does a similar thing on the 911.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

You cant change a car by changing the muffler.

Thats like trying to make a tracksuit from a Seville Row suit.

The thing that needs to be upgraded is our taste; we need to learn to enjoy a grandtourer in style. Or live with a drone of a pickup truck.