XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Buying a 2008 XKR Coupe w/salvage title

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 10:06 PM
Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Buying a 2008 XKR Coupe w/salvage title

Here's the link: Jaguar XKR | eBay . Listed as a theft recovery with the bumper cover, hood and pass. fender replaced. It's an absolute steal at $15,000.00. The seller's name is Steve Siegel and he's active on Ebay selling a lot of ford car parts. Does anyone know the car or him? Going to check it out Friday. I've bought a lot of cars including 2000, 2003 and 2006 XKR coupes. There are times when if it looks to good to be true, it actually is true and I'm going to find out Friday.

Here's a link to my 2006 XKR Victory Edition Coupe. 2006 Jaguar XKR Coupe

Last edited by David's XKR; 12-16-2015 at 10:14 PM.
Old 12-16-2015, 10:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,159 Likes on 3,090 Posts

The one sold on eBay is an X150, your post is in the X100 forums. Woulda been a good deal though, for someone who doesn't care about resale value and just wants to drive.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:33 PM
Default Buying a 2008 XKR Coupe w/salvage title

Here's the link: Jaguar XKR | eBay . Listed as a theft recovery with the bumper cover, hood and pass. fender replaced. It's an absolute steal at $15,000.00. The seller's name is Steve Siegel and he's active on Ebay selling a lot of ford car parts. Does anyone know the car or him? Going to check it out Friday. I've bought a lot of cars including 2000, 2003 and 2006 XKR coupes. There are times when if it looks to good to be true, it actually is true and I'm going to find out Friday.

Here's a link to my 2006 XKR Victory Edition Coupe. 2006 Jaguar XKR Coupe

Old 12-16-2015, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
The one sold on eBay is an X150, your post is in the X100 forums. Woulda been a good deal though, for someone who doesn't care about resale value and just wants to drive.
I haven't posted in a while. I was wondering why there was so many Portfolio's.

I do like to drive my cars and if it's as nice as advertised, I don't think resale will be too big a problem.

Old 12-16-2015, 11:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

You're in GA, the car was listed for sale on many sites in Rancho Cordova, CA. with 54m miles on the car.

I would have to ask many questions as the $15,000 price is to good to be true. I would suggest that you have the car fully inspected by a Jaguar Dealer and make sure you complete your due diligence on buying a vehicle with a Salvage Title and getting it registered in your state of Georgia.

https://dor.georgia.gov/titles-rebui...tored-vehicles

make some phones so you understand fully what you are buying and getting yourself into.

Old 12-16-2015, 11:53 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

I'd also suggest bringing to a known high-end re builder that can throw it in a jig to assure that the frame is straight and true. A dealer can only give you a basic assessment of the engine, brakes, and trans but little in the way of inspecting body panels with a meter which shows the paint thickness (will show if other paint work has been done) or whether the frame has issues. A rebuilder will put it on a rack then shoot lasers to see how true the car is and if it is within factory specs.

Be DAMN careful buying a salvaged car... there's a saying on the Mercedes boards that goes "There's nothing more expensive than a cheap Mercedes". Don't let your emotion cloud your logic.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Old 12-17-2015, 03:06 AM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

As Cee Jay says, it's an X150 not an X100 ........ but it's gone now.

Buying a 2008 XKR Coupe w/salvage title-ebay.jpg
(click on the image to enlarge it)

Did you buy it?

Graham

Old 12-17-2015, 07:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I would also ask to see a set of pictures taken before the repairs were done and who did the repairs. Would be nice to see the estimate. Good luck

The following users liked this post:
mosesbotbol (12-17-2015)
Old 12-17-2015, 08:22 AM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

JagToes you're spot on I forgot to mention that. It is not a "theft recovery" as stated if that level of body work was necessary so don't be fooled, that car to a serious hit. SOME theft recovery vehicles are sold as salvaged and they can be deals but this is not the case here. Be VERY cautious here. As JT said - do your due diligence on the shop that made the repairs, it is very rare that they are at a level of quality to match factory. My business partner bought a totalled Land Rover had a shop in S. Cal rebuild it (including straightening the frame) but far more often than not these salvaged cars are taken to a low level shop which makes the exterior and interior look just "good enough" to entice those that don't have a keen eye so hey wind up with a total lemon. Go visit the shop that did the repairs, if there's not a lot of high-end, discerning cars in there you'll know its just a mill shoving out jack work

Old 12-17-2015, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

I have purchased many salvaged cars over the years from a former tenant of mine. If they are properly rebuilt, there is no problem and if you're not worried about resale value (because you keep the cars forever), they can represent great value. However, I would want to see pictures of the damage before restoration, and I would want to know the shop that did the work in addition to all of the usual stuff you would want to know when purchasing a used car such as service history, how many previous owners....

Old 12-17-2015, 10:41 AM
Received 157 Likes on 101 Posts

Looks like someone purchased it yesterday for $19,995. Seems like an inadequate discount for a salvage title.

Old 12-17-2015, 10:47 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Don't be surprised if it's relisted shortly. Many buyers think that 'winning' an auction doesn't actually oblige them to buy it.

Old 12-17-2015, 08:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Fixing real damage on a modern Jag is not the same as other marques.

Personally, if you are not spending at least 25K; I would look towards another car.

Old 12-18-2015, 06:54 AM

I secured it on EBay now I'm on my way to Nashville to inspect. I do have pictures prior to being fixed. I'll post if I can.

I didn't notice that I had posted in the wrong place. Please feel free to remove this thread.

Old 12-18-2015, 07:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts

That is how I used to keep my sanity......LOL There is always a good market for $30,000 Ferraris, and $15,000 Rolls Royces. In a few states, you can even get the titles changed from salvage to regular, if you have pictures to show the work, and have the vehicle inspected. You also need to have a sales license to do this, or know someone who does. Right now I am looking at a 2015 Dodge HEMI Challenger flood car. There is no real bodywork to do, but there are going to be almost $3000 in control units and electrics to replace, as well as LOTS OF FLUIDS. Thank God it is a manual shift.....I don't know why I told you all this......I must be in need of some more sleep.....Have a good one.......Mike

Old 12-18-2015, 08:25 AM
Received 6,250 Likes on 5,450 Posts

David, I've merged the two threads.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Old 12-19-2015, 11:53 AM

Flew into Nashville yesterday and 12 hours later I parked it in my garage in Fl. The car is beyond what I had hoped for. The interior is flawless. The exterior is a 9 with a few scratches. Pads and rotors all the way around are newly installed from the dealer. It will need tires soon. I’ve got both key fobs and all the books. Everything works. I can't believe the difference from my 2000, 2003 and 2006 XKR's. I’ve never got up close and personnel with the new generation until he picked me up at the airport. It's so much more comfortable and spacious. I always felt cramped in my XKR's and the seats were hard to get fully comfortable. Not the case with this XKR. The power and sound is amazing!!! The effortless acceleration on the highway was mind blowing, 80 to 130 happens in seconds. Point and shoot at any speed under full composure. Average MPG was 21 with a boat load of high speed driving. Small tank = lots of stops for gas. The owner isn't your average guy selling a salvage title car. He's been crewing for NASCAR and Sports car series for 20 years and has owned a lot of great cars, including he says a GT40. He had a donor car for the majority of the parts. For now I'm confident it was not in an accident and was a theft recovery as he stated. I have pictures before it was completed. I’ll post pictures and more later.

The following 2 users liked this post by David's XKR:
Norri (12-19-2015), sklimii (12-19-2015)
Old 12-19-2015, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

Sounds like you are happy with the purchase so far. The listing doesn't show the final buy price so I hope your accepted offer was much less than the $19k they were asking.

No matter what you got a deal, on cars.com a 2008 with similar miles runs around $25k, so if you managed to get it for $15k you really got a deal. Just so long as it doesn't fall apart on you in the near future.

I don't know why people bring up resale? You bought it below market value because of the salvage title, if you list it later you will get below market value on your sale price then also. Your depreciation spread will just be along a lower dollar track than someone buying a non-salvage car. As far as selling it later (should you want to) your biggest issue will be the buyer pool, there just aren't as many people willing to take a chance on a salvage vehicle. Definitely not for the timid - like me!

Old 12-19-2015, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by tampamark
Sounds like you are happy with the purchase so far. The listing doesn't show the final buy price so I hope your accepted offer was much less than the $19k they were asking.

No matter what you got a deal, on cars.com a 2008 with similar miles runs around $25k, so if you managed to get it for $15k you really got a deal. Just so long as it doesn't fall apart on you in the near future.

I don't know why people bring up resale? You bought it below market value because of the salvage title, if you list it later you will get below market value on your sale price then also. Your depreciation spread will just be along a lower dollar track than someone buying a non-salvage car. As far as selling it later (should you want to) your biggest issue will be the buyer pool, there just aren't as many people willing to take a chance on a salvage vehicle. Definitely not for the timid - like me!
Wise words. $15,000.00. He said he had $25k into it and that's probably what someone would have had to spend or more. But I'm sure he was able to do for less. Time will tell if I scored big or got scored on! Believe it or not I'm going to look at a 2006 XJR Blk/Blk 62k miles. $12k and clear title.

Old 12-19-2015, 07:47 PM

I'm the one with Biggest Smile!

Quick Reply: Buying a 2008 XKR Coupe w/salvage title