XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Buying an XK with a replacement motor good or bad?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 02:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 549 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Harrell
There was nothing about the motor being replaced on carfax, I figured it out after talking to two different Jag dealers and they both confirmed the engine swap.
Apparently not everything gets on the car fax report.
Oh and I forgot to mention the dealer selling the Jag isn't aware of the new engine in the car. So they are selling it based on the speedometer at 60k
How did you find out the engine was replaced?

Old 09-08-2017, 03:55 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The dealer I spoke with stumbled across the warranty claim.

Old 09-08-2017, 04:19 PM
Received 214 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean W
A new engine only, and while being installed by a dealership may be an advantage over a Non Jag shop (perhaps), it's still a far cry from a factory install. I've swapped enough engines in my time to recognize there is a difference. Back to Ranchero and Shemp's advice. Drive it side by side with a non lemon car if you can. There's a reason it's going for $21k
I agree with that 100%. Toyota waranteed a motor on a 4 Runner for me years ago. The first dealer made a mess out of the install. Missing clamps, mis-routed cables and hoses, loose bolts, etc. The second dealer that I brought it to straighten out the mess did only marginally better. A new motor, even dealer installed, is not necessarily a good thing.

The following users liked this post:
Queen and Country (09-09-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 04:23 PM

I'm no ASE certified mechanic but I worked for years turning wrenches when I was younger.
I'll look it over best I can, test drive it real good and then check for leaks.
If that don't work I'll be assed out. Lol

Old 09-08-2017, 06:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Hi Matt,
I thought I had responded to your post, yesterday, from the mobile site, but apparently it didn't post. So here's my take from the same experience.
About four plus years ago, my X100 was hitting 160K miles and I wanted to preserve (still used everyday by my son). I decided to go shopping for an X150 XKR. The least expensive one I could find in the whole country was about 15 minutes away from me in Pasadena, CA. I went to see it and test drive it and was utterly unimpressed! The car had 68,000 miles on it. I had no intention of buying it. The previous owner called me several times afterwards to find out if I was still interested, and although I wasn't really, I told him to bring the car to my mechanic who is located a few blocks from his daughter's school. The car coded a faulty Cam sensor (which I had replaced one on my X100, the week before), so I knew what that would cost to do, but my mechanic told both the p.o. and me after listening to the engine for about 30 seconds that there was much more serious trouble coming soon. He said the car would "throw a rod" in the near future. After regaining his composure, the p.o. realized he had purchased an aftermarket warranty/insurance policy, and to make a long story short, the company paid my mechanic to install a "new" engine. The motor was pulled from a wrecked car with 6000 miles on it. After the engine swap, I drove the car, and it was everything the initial test drive was not, thrilling, torque filled, quickness. I then purchased the car. I have over 135,000 miles on it now, and except for some of the usual X150 5.0L issues ie: water pump, thermostat..., it has been utterly reliable. It is my daily driver, but has been to the track many times, and I've had the use of the car for nearly four and a half years after paying a price slightly above what they are selling for today. I keep cars until I give them away, so I'm not concerned with resale value. I bought the car for me to enjoy, not the next owner. I customized it, pulley and tuned it, modified the exhaust with an X-pipe, and it looks almost new. Why wouldn't you buy it with a brand new engine, especially if it was dealer installed? Have fun, enjoy, and don't look back!

Attached Thumbnails Buying an XK with a replacement motor good or bad?-dscf8215.jpg  

Last edited by tberg; 09-08-2017 at 06:21 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by tberg:
Matt Harrell (09-09-2017), ralphwg (09-09-2017), Ranchero50 (09-10-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 07:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,164 Likes on 2,334 Posts

I'm no ASE certified mechanic but I worked for years turning wrenches when I was younger.
I'll look it over best I can, test drive it real good and then check for leaks.
If that don't work I'll be assed out. Lol
Exactly. You'll know it when you drive it and put it to the test. Best of luck!

Matt Harrell (09-09-2017)
Old 09-09-2017, 06:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

Tberg is a good friend of mine and his car is everything he says it is. Pls let us know what you decide to do.

Matt Harrell (09-10-2017)
Old 09-10-2017, 02:09 PM

UPDATE!!
I bought the car yesterday and I have to say it's sick as hell. I've owned a corvette c6 and camaro SS before and this car is just as fast and way cooler. Already getting looks going down the road! 😂
The car turned out to be extremely clean inside and out and runs like a champ, I drove 4 hours to get it home last night and discovered some minor issues.

Issue 1: Fog lamps will not come on, I checked the bulbs and they were good, checked the fuses in the engine compartment and they were all good. Any ideas??

Issue 2: Drivers side headlight kinda cross eyed and lights do not move when turning the steering wheel?

Issue 3: vibrating sound like road noise coming from front under car somewhere.
Kinda of like a brrrrrr pause brrrrr pause brrrrr??? Nonstop

Other than that the car is awesome and I'm real happy I found it!

Sean W (09-10-2017)
Old 09-10-2017, 04:57 PM
Received 128 Likes on 89 Posts

I thought it's a 2011? There aren't any front fog lamps, only rear. The light beam normally looks a little cross-eyed by design of the internal low beam cutoff shutters and the lights shouldn't move with the steering wheel. You might check that the under engine "belly" covers are installed correctly with all the fasteners in place. When making a sharp turn, there is a separate lamp that comes on to add some useful light.

Old 09-10-2017, 05:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

congrats and welcome aboard! Please post some pics.

Old 09-10-2017, 06:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

Ditto, pics or it didn't happen. Also update you signature so folks will know what year when you are asking questions.

Old 09-10-2017, 06:55 PM

��������
Well I'm clearly a newbie about this car!
That answer questions one and two. Smh
Any idea on the noise issue?

Old 09-10-2017, 07:00 PM
The following 2 users liked this post by Matt Harrell:
ralphwg (09-11-2017), winstonsalemncxk (09-11-2017)
Old 09-10-2017, 09:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,150 Likes on 3,085 Posts

Correct on the Fog Lamps, only the rear ones and nothing in front. As per Adaptive Headlamps, yes they SHOULD move when you steer. Quite noticeably. Merely doing fairly light wiggles on a straight road and you should see the inside-light move to the side your turning towards. It happens fairly rapidly also.

Old 09-10-2017, 09:20 PM

Im not sure mine work. Look at the drivers side headlamp and notice how it's kinda cross eyed but the passenger side is straight on?
Is this normal??

Old 09-10-2017, 09:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,150 Likes on 3,085 Posts

They could just be out of alignment. There are adjusters on them. Also, I don't know exactly which years had Adaptive Headlights, or which options they would be on.
I'm sure someone else out there can inform.....

Old 09-10-2017, 09:27 PM

I looked for an adjustment screw and didn't see any? Maybe I'm missing something??
Also, I'm needing a cord for my iPhone 6s to play music on the radio, any suggestions on where to buy one?

Old 09-10-2017, 09:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Welcome and enjoy the ride. It does look like your driver side headlight is either stuck or the auto adjust is broken. You might want to hit the top of the headlight with your palm to see if it is stuck . If it doesn't move then the unit needs to be removed and repaired.

Old 09-10-2017, 10:17 PM
Received 214 Likes on 149 Posts

I looked for an adjustment screw and didn't see any? Maybe I'm missing something??
Also, I'm needing a cord for my iPhone 6s to play music on the radio, any suggestions on where to buy one?
Are you sure you have the adaptive front lighting? That was an option. If you have adaptive cruise control [two rotary wheels on the right hand steering wheel spoke] you should have adaptive front lighting.

To connect to your iphone you need:
- Jaguar Ipod/Iphone Interface Cable P/N C2Z9048. This came with the new cars and plugs in the ipod connector in the center console.
- Apple Lightning to 30-Pin Adapter - P/N MD824AM/A. This plugs into the above cable and did not come with the cars.

Genuine Apple Lightning to 30-Pin Adapter MD824AM/A | eBay

Some people prefer a bluetooth adapter. I don't have one so look through previous posts.

Old 09-10-2017, 10:38 PM

I only have one rotary knob on the right side of the steering wheel so I guess my car doesn't have that option. So maybe it just needs adjusting, which is something I can do sure. I have the cable that came with the car, I'll order the other.
Btw, thanks everyone for all the replies, you guys are as classy as your cars are cool.

Last edited by Matt Harrell; 09-10-2017 at 10:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Buying an XK with a replacement motor good or bad?