Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Bypassing the pedestrian safety system

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 01:50 PM
Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Bypassing the pedestrian safety system

Can this be done?

If we put aside all the legality and law side of things. There must be a way of actually bypassing this.

The way I see it it should be able to do be done via a simple plug resistor that will either go at the front bumper sensors where the impact is detected or it will go on the 2 airbags plugs that are actually deployed to kick the bonnet up.....

Has anyone actually looked into this as if the bonnet sensor can be fooled into thinking that there is no impact detected 24/7 even if there is one then surely this is a great way around it?

Old 01-19-2014, 01:55 PM

Also what I find interesting is the fact that the workshop manual states before working for the technician to plug a dummy electrical connector into the pedestrian system...

Old 01-19-2014, 02:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,168 Likes on 1,612 Posts
Thumbs down

As a sometime pedestrian, I'm not willing to put aside the ethical considerations.

Also as a pedestrian, I am not averse to banging on vehicles that get too close.

The following 2 users liked this post by plums:
MaximA (03-05-2014), winstonsalemncxk (07-20-2017)
Old 01-19-2014, 02:43 PM

The reality is that this sytem just isn't advanced enough yet. Look through forums we have people having the bonnet deployed whilst mildly hitting a pothole and being stuped with a $4k cost.

Dealers look at the data recording and see the "impact" and say tough even though a pedestrian wasn't even touched.

In my books it's an outright scam to have semi working crap on a car.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

I have yet to see any threads about pedestrian airbag deployment. Do you have a link?

I wouldn't mind disabling this system, but I wouldn't see the point in it, unless I could remove all the related items and save weight in the car somehow.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:45 PM
Old 01-19-2014, 03:49 PM

I have joined the forum because I was searching for answers having had my bonnet popped a few days ago. I was almost home and driving up a residential road when I heard a loud bang. I automatically looked in the mirror and braked, then looked to each side, nothing. Then I looked ahead again and saw my bonnet partly in front of the windscreen. My heart sank and I jumped out of the car and looked around expecting to find some dog or cat or something. Nothing in the road and nothing under the car. I jumped back in and moved the car to the side of the road. I then walked up and down the road looking for what I had hit. Nothing! I checked the car again, nothing! I drove it the 100m home and phoned Jaguar assist. They came the following morning and checked over the car, nothing! The AA came to take the car away, checked the car, attched the pulling rope and safety strop and took it away. The following day I was called by the garage to say they had found damage and that I had hit something. I did not believe them so went to the garage. They pointed out a scuff to the UNDERSIDE of the spoiler at the offside (right in line with where the AA man had his safety strop attached to the suspension at the inside of my wheel). Jaguar are blaming this scuff on causing the lower grill to pop out and trigger the deployment. No idea where or when the scuff was done so I am totally bemused by this. Might end up costing me a fortune simply because I cannot prove that I did not hit anything and cannot prove when that scuff was done. Very frustrating.

I have joined the forum because I was searching for answers having had my bonnet popped a few days ago. I was almost home and driving up a residential road when I heard a loud bang. I automatically looked in the mirror and braked, then looked to each side, nothing. Then I looked ahead again and saw my bonnet partly in front of the windscreen. My heart sank and I jumped out of the car and looked around expecting to find some dog or cat or something. Nothing in the road and nothing under the car. I jumped back in and moved the car to the side of the road. I then walked up and down the road looking for what I had hit. Nothing! I checked the car again, nothing! I drove it the 100m home and phoned Jaguar assist. They came the following morning and checked over the car, nothing! The AA came to take the car away, checked the car, attched the pulling rope and safety strop and took it away. The following day I was called by the garage to say they had found damage and that I had hit something. I did not believe them so went to the garage. They pointed out a scuff to the UNDERSIDE of the spoiler at the offside (right in line with where the AA man had his safety strop attached to the suspension at the inside of my wheel). Jaguar are blaming this scuff on causing the lower grill to pop out and trigger the deployment. No idea where or when the scuff was done so I am totally bemused by this. Might end up costing me a fortune simply because I cannot prove that I did not hit anything and cannot prove when that scuff was done. Very frustrating.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:54 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 928 Likes on 607 Posts

That sucks. There must be a way to deactivate them.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:26 AM
Received 87 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
I have yet to see any threads about pedestrian airbag deployment. Do you have a link?

I wouldn't mind disabling this system, but I wouldn't see the point in it, unless I could remove all the related items and save weight in the car somehow.
Alan and US members - not a problem for US-market vehicles !
From the X150 Workshop manual (page 3636):
>>
The Pedestrian Protection System is factory fit only to non Federal vehicles.
<<
And I can find NO trace of the listed components on my US-version 2008 XK.

So I suspect this system is fitted to 'ROW' (Rest Of World) vehicles only - I see posts for UK members mostly about this. I don't know about other countries...

Could this be a rare case where US cars get less emissions/safety related crap than anyone else ????

Old 01-20-2014, 09:33 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by JeremyB

Could this be a rare case where US cars get less emissions/safety related crap than anyone else ????
Sounds like it. That sucks.

I remember reading about this system when it first came out and mistakenly assumed it was for all cars, not just UK.

I wonder if the OP did disable it and then hit someone, the courts would have a field day once they found out. Not worth it.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Whaaaat? US vehicles don't have this?? I've been bragging about this system at parties and GOP fundraisers for years!

Old 02-28-2014, 12:48 PM
Jae
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Disabling Pedestrian airbag system

Has anyone managed to find out more about this system and how to disable it. I have been unfortunate enough to have had it trigger once when i was driving slowly down a residential road , no bumps , no collision, it just triggered. Now six weeks after having it all sorted out and supposedly all modules replaced i have had the warning come up on display. When i took it to dealers they checked it and it showed six " near collision" events, surely either you have or haven't had a collision. This system has turned my lovely car into something i am afraid to drive without worry of it operating again and costing more money.
I also noticed a comment about fitting a dummy plug before any work and wondered if this was a way round it.

John

Old 03-05-2014, 10:48 AM
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

You're dumb enough to cross infront of me, I take you out at the knees and you fly right over me and land on your feet on the other side!

Next thing you know those europeans will have inflatable doughnuts all around the car.
Sorry had to that is just stupid!! A 150lb human is nothing compared to the impact of a 3700lb vehicle thru a pothole. Sounds like defectechnology to me.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:53 AM

You guys over the pond take things on face value too much.

They did it for NCAP ratings not for pedestrian safety.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:04 PM
Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

I'd imagine you can simply remove the actuators or at a minimum disable the power/connectors to the control module

Old 03-05-2014, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 310 Posts

This "feature" sounds like a nightmare.

Old 03-05-2014, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by moar
You guys over the pond take things on face value too much.
Let's not lump everybody across the pond into one group.

Old 03-05-2014, 06:19 PM
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Ponds have lumps?? or are we skimming lumps across the pond??

Old 03-05-2014, 06:20 PM
GGG
Received 16,825 Likes on 12,179 Posts

The description of the PPS (Pedestrian Protection System) includes the following:

The system will always deploy where the control module determines a pedestrian impact. The system minimizes deployment for other impacts that are similar to pedestrian impact, such as traffic cones.

The manufacturer is clearly acknowledging that deployment will occur in situations other than impacting a pedestrian.

The important components in determining deployment are left and right PPA (Pedestrian Protection Accelerometers) and the PCS (Pedestrian Contact Sensor) which runs across the front of the vehicle:

Bypassing the pedestrian safety system-xk-pedestrian-contact-sensor.jpg
(click on the image to enlarge it)

The PCS uses a fibre optic loop to detect an impact by measuring the amount of light returned to the fibre optic transceiver. A reduction in light levels occurs when the PCS is deformed by an impact. The PCS monitors
the level of light returned from the loop, if a reduction of a predetermined magnitude is measured a trigger signal will be sent to the Control Module.

This has to be the weak link in the system and the cause of non-impact deployment.

Disconnecting the Control Module will trigger error code UO25000 (lost communication with PPS) and probably illuminate the CHECK PEDESTRIAN SYSTEM message and red warning triangle in the display.

Disconnecting the PCS will trigger error code B100631 (no signal). It may have no other effects but I'm not one for pioneering experiments with pyrotechnic systems.

Graham

Old 03-05-2014, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by ddsski
Ponds have lumps?? or are we skimming lumps across the pond??
They do this winter. I'm ready for spring.

Quick Reply: Bypassing the pedestrian safety system