XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Bypassing the pedestrian safety system

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 01:09 PM
Received 330 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Jae
Once again thanks for your information. It looks like a shall be fitting a 2.5 Ohm resistor and an inline fuse in place of each airbag. My control box has already triggered the airbags once and had to be reset and then a second time it needed resetting although it hadn't operated airbags just went into fault registering what jaguar calls " too many near impacts".
I had hoped that i could tackle problem so that the box didn't get triggered as i know the ecu will need replacing if it activates too many times.
You can erase a "too many near impacts" codes as much as you can.
5 counts applies ONLY to an airbag activation.

The following users liked this post:
Jae (03-06-2014)
Old 03-06-2014, 04:39 PM
Jae
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MoscowLeaper
You can erase a "too many near impacts" codes as much as you can.
5 counts applies ONLY to an airbag activation.
I was thinking of buying something like scantool to read and reset error codes, can you recommend anything.

Old 03-06-2014, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Fun thread. "Bonking" has at least two meanings here: one a little rude (sexual) and one very ordinary (a hit, usually gentle, akin to a nudge). Context is all.

Pedestrians really should be off the roads very nearly all the time and only on them in an appropriate manner (with care & attention, etc). I'm in favour of appropriate safety systems but these seem more daftness.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:51 PM
Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts

XF and XJ (X351) PPS is totally different from a XK system and causes a lot of troubles.
Putting a resistor instead of acceleration sensor wouldn't help.
The only way to fool a module is to put a resistors instead of hood airbags.
On a XK you should also add two resistors instead of hood unlockers.
As i said before, i don't remember a correct resistance of a airbags, but i'll try to find a correct data.

I've gotten a bit lost in this convo as you guys are talking about the XF no?

So with the XK whats the best way to go about it with the resistor situation?

One on each airbag at what ohm? 3.3?

Old 03-06-2014, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Jae
I was thinking of buying something like scantool to read and reset error codes, can you recommend anything.
I think you'd want a Mongoose cable from China for £40 and SDD V130. As you are just erasing codes its ok!

Old 03-06-2014, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Jae
In my experience only SDD can work with safety systems.
You could buy a decent copy of moongoose VCI for a 100$ and install an eary version (something like v130) on your laptop. But don't try to reprogramm control units with this inferface.

Jae (03-07-2014)
Old 03-06-2014, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by moar
I've gotten a bit lost in this convo as you guys are talking about the XF no?

So with the XK whats the best way to go about it with the resistor situation?

One on each airbag at what ohm? 3.3?
XK have a little bit different modules, than a XF/XJ, but the insides of airbags are all the same. So 2-2.5Ohms should go. Don't forget to bypass a hood unlock elements.

Old 03-07-2014, 01:24 AM
Jae

[QUOTE=MoscowLeaper;925683]In my experience only SDD can work with safety systems.
You could buy a decent copy of moongoose VCI for a 100$ and install an eary version (something like v130) on your laptop. But don't try to reprogramm control units with this

Thanks, i have found a place in china selling them and ordered one.

Last edited by Jae; 03-07-2014 at 01:53 AM.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:36 AM

XK have a little bit different modules, than a XF/XJ, but the insides of airbags are all the same. So 2-2.5Ohms should go. Don't forget to bypass a hood unlock elements.
Hi

Ok so on the connection going to both airbags I need to be that 2-2.5 resistor there on each one.

And then for the hood lock elements I need to do what sorry?

Do you mean I need to put a resistor on numbers 3 and 4 on that image?

Old 03-07-2014, 06:14 AM

Yep. The elements 3 and 4 are the pyro actuators, that opens a hood latches. replace them with a resistors too.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:32 AM
Jae

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
I have yet to see any threads about pedestrian airbag deployment. Do you have a link?

I wouldn't mind disabling this system, but I wouldn't see the point in it, unless I could remove all the related items and save weight in the car somehow.
My Jaguar XFR has set off the underbonnet airbags whilst i was driving along a residential road at slow speed, no potholes and no impact with anything. Cost £2500 to sort . A month later i got a warning message so worrying that it might happen again i went to garage who told me the airbag module has recorded 6 near impacts and needs resetting.
At the moment i am not even driving the car, every time i do i spend all my time thinking it is going to happen again.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Jae
My Jaguar XFR has set off the underbonnet airbags whilst i was driving along a residential road at slow speed, no potholes and no impact with anything. Cost £2500 to sort . A month later i got a warning message so worrying that it might happen again i went to garage who told me the airbag module has recorded 6 near impacts and needs resetting.
At the moment i am not even driving the car, every time i do i spend all my time thinking it is going to happen again.
Check if the sensors and bumper are bolted tight enough.

Jae (03-07-2014)
Old 03-07-2014, 10:56 AM

Yep. The elements 3 and 4 are the pyro actuators, that opens a hood latches. replace them with a resistors too.
Ohhhh, and that should also be 2 - 2.5 ohms?

So would something like this be ok

Carbon Film Metal Film Flameproof Resistors megalisting 0 to 2K7 Ohm (RoHS) | eBay

0.25 w and 2r2 = 2.2 ohms?

edit - actually this seems useful

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fused-Airb...-/291073745577

Old 07-31-2014, 12:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Mdar / JAE

What is the latest with your pedestrian system situations?

Mine went off for no reason on my XFS. Maindealer & extended warranty company are saying I hit something and thatthere are signs of repair to the bumper so wont presently cover the activationof the system. I hit nothing, and the front of my car has not been repairedat any time during my ownership. I had wished I had a camera in my carlike many have these days to prove I did not hit anything and so theywould have to pay out, but it appears going by another thread onhere that it would have made no difference as Jaguar are still apparentlydesperately trying to prove that owner was at fault.

Does anybody know if there is anything we can do? Presently I am being told the only solution is to have the module removed bythe main dealer and sent to Jaguar who will retrieve the data recorded atthe time of the pedestrian system activating.

The lady at Jaguar said she would then send me a letterconfirming if the system activated within its parameters, but Jaguar wontshare the information retrieved ("for internal use only" apparently)so she may as well just say now that the system activated correctly with nofault. There is also the inconvenience of me not having a car whilst themodule is removed.

MOSCOWLEAPER, you say:

Actually an XK system design is pretty good, compared to adesign of a PPS on a XF and XJ. The rate of false activations is pretty low,while on a XF and XJ all you need, to activate a PPS, is to hit a road pitwhile braking hard.

Hitting a road pit while braking is not what the system isdesigned for. Has anybody actually got hard proof that the system isflawed to help us make a claim against Jaguar?

Does the module have to be sent back to Jaguar or can themain dealer actually retrieve the required information?

Has anybody successfully had the pedestrian systemactivation covered under warranty?

We have all spent good money on a decent make & model ofcar. I find it very frustrating that the car clearly has a fault with thepedestrian system, and that Jaguar are happy to basically say we are dishonestand liars when we tell them until we are blue in the face that we did not hitanything.

What is also annoying is that it is, apart from thepedestrian system, a fantastic car; I love the interior & exterior stylingand think that the competition does not even come close. Handling &performance are fantastic too.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Possibly I've missed this bit of information in these posts, however, is the 'pedestrian' system included in the f-type's that are shipped to Canada?
Lawrence

Old 07-19-2017, 01:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bypassing pedestrian system

Hi has anyone been able to do this yet
my XKR 13000 mile just out of warranty has got the fault showing and its code B1005-96 L/H fr impact sensor but id like to remove the system altogether
also does anyone know the part number for the sensor

cheers

Old 07-20-2017, 02:41 AM
GGG
Received 16,769 Likes on 12,156 Posts

Originally Posted by jagadagadoo
..... does anyone know the part number for the sensor .....
Welcome to the forum jagadagadoo,

I've deleted the new thread you started with exactly the same title. The information on substituting appropriate resistors is already in this thread.

Pedestrian Impact Sensor is C2P5129 or C2P17132 depending on VIN (see item 7):

Bypassing the pedestrian safety system-pedestrian.jpg
(click on the image to enlarge it)

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 07-20-2017, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,150 Likes on 3,085 Posts

Do those UK mandated bonnet-poppers actually DO anything worthwhile? I can SORT of see where the concept comes from, but how much damage would having the bonnet a few inches higher, in front of a sloping and rather forgiving windscreen actually avoid?
Both my knees are already broken, but good thing I don't get a bruise on my shoulder!

Old 07-20-2017, 07:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

I think it is designed to move the bonnet away from hard objects like the engine so the unlucky pedestrian only gets broken legs and not a shattered skull as they pivot on to the bonnet.

If the car didn't have it it would have to have a higher bonnet line which would ruin the shape of the car. As you say though, am not sure what difference it really makes but if it allows us to have cars like the XKR then I won't complain!

Old 07-22-2017, 03:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

Yeah, it's the pivoting & subsequent slamming of the head into the bonnet and the engine just under it that is the problem. Popping the bonnet up on airbags turns it into a shock absorber.

Quick Reply: Bypassing the pedestrian safety system