XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Bypassing the pedestrian safety system

Old 03-05-2014, 07:07 PM
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Talking

As an aside (so to speak) isn't bonking pedestrians in Britain similar to the game of cow tipping in the US?

Old 03-05-2014, 09:40 PM
Received 330 Likes on 185 Posts

To disable a PPS you should plug a resistor instead of a two elements -
1. Two pyro elements, which opens a hood lock
2. Two pyro elements, which pops a hood up.
I don't remember the exact resistance of them, but it's not a big problem to find it.
All other attempts of disabling a system will trigger a code and a message on a DIC.

Old 03-05-2014, 11:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts
Thumbs down

nm

Last edited by plums; 03-05-2014 at 11:44 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,539 Likes on 1,411 Posts

The European rules and regulations regarding pedestrian avoidance have changed the way all European cars are designed, especially low slung sports cars. Hoods (bonnets) have to be taller, flatter...ruining the aesthetics of many. Cars vs. pedestrians is not a match pedestrians can win and these regulations are ridiculous!

And in response to you, Plums, I'd suggest you watch your step off the curb, I'll make sure I'm driving a non-compliant car when we meet someday in the crosswalk. What kind of threats are you making to a member who is having trouble with a system that's destined for failure?! I think you owe him an apology. Your post is just plain disturbing and has no place, in my opinion, in any discussion.

The following users liked this post:
Tracee (08-23-2023)
Old 03-05-2014, 11:59 PM

Actually an XK system design is pretty good, compared to a design of a PPS on a XF and XJ. The rate of false activations is pretty low, while on a XF and XJ all you need, to activate a PPS, is to hit a road pit while braking hard.

Old 03-06-2014, 04:03 AM
Jae
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default XF Pedestrian Impact system

Originally Posted by GGG
The description of the PPS (Pedestrian Protection System) includes the following:

The system will always deploy where the control module determines a pedestrian impact. The system minimizes deployment for other impacts that are similar to pedestrian impact, such as traffic cones.

The manufacturer is clearly acknowledging that deployment will occur in situations other than impacting a pedestrian.

The important components in determining deployment are left and right PPA (Pedestrian Protection Accelerometers) and the PCS (Pedestrian Contact Sensor) which runs across the front of the vehicle:

Attachment 74975
(click on the image to enlarge it)

The PCS uses a fibre optic loop to detect an impact by measuring the amount of light returned to the fibre optic transceiver. A reduction in light levels occurs when the PCS is deformed by an impact. The PCS monitors
the level of light returned from the loop, if a reduction of a predetermined magnitude is measured a trigger signal will be sent to the Control Module.

This has to be the weak link in the system and the cause of non-impact deployment.

Disconnecting the Control Module will trigger error code UO25000 (lost communication with PPS) and probably illuminate the CHECK PEDESTRIAN SYSTEM message and red warning triangle in the display.

Disconnecting the PCS will trigger error code B100631 (no signal). It may have no other effects but I'm not one for pioneering experiments with pyrotechnic systems.

Graham
The Diagram seems to be for a car other than an XF , the Xf only has two sensors mounted left and right behind front bumper. It seems best to find a way to remove them and fool the control module that they are still there. Hopefully a simple resistor in it's place but anyone with info would be very greatly appreciated.

Old 03-06-2014, 04:05 AM
Jae

Any information on the XF acceleration sensors on pedestrian system would be appreciated. Just removing would leave a trouble code on dash so info required to enable them to be linked out.

Old 03-06-2014, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by Jae
Any information on the XF acceleration sensors on pedestrian system would be appreciated. Just removing would leave a trouble code on dash so info required to enable them to be linked out.
XF and XJ (X351) PPS is totally different from a XK system and causes a lot of troubles.
Putting a resistor instead of acceleration sensor wouldn't help.
The only way to fool a module is to put a resistors instead of hood airbags.
On a XK you should also add two resistors instead of hood unlockers.
As i said before, i don't remember a correct resistance of a airbags, but i'll try to find a correct data.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:30 AM
GGG
Received 16,746 Likes on 12,140 Posts

Originally Posted by ddsski
As an aside (so to speak) isn't bonking pedestrians in Britain similar to the game of cow tipping in the US?
NO - 'bonking' in the UK refers to a completely different activity.

I suggest you proceed with extreme caution when visiting this country to avoid some serious jail time!

Graham

Old 03-06-2014, 07:43 AM
Veteran Member
Thumbs down threats of bodily harm to pedestrians are never appropriate

Originally Posted by tberg
And in response to you, Plums, I'd suggest you
watch your step off the curb, I'll make sure I'm driving a
non-compliant car when we meet someday in the crosswalk.

What kind of threats are you making to a member who is having
trouble with a system that's destined for failure?! I think you owe
him an apology. Your post is just plain disturbing and has no place,
in my opinion, in any discussion.
1) the response had nothing to do with "a member who is having trouble"

2) as can be seen by all, my post was at 12:26am, edited to "nm" at 12:44am.
it has not been touched since, and will not be touched again.
tberg chose to respond my post at 12:53am

My post was in response to, and quoted:

Originally Posted by ddsski
You're dumb enough to cross infront of me, I take you out at the knees
and you fly right over me and land on your feet on the other side!
Threats of bodily harm to pedestrians are never appropriate.

It suggests a mental attitude that somehow motorists have the
privilege of inflicting bodily harm if a pedestrian crosses in front
of them. It is not whether someone will actually do it that is
disturbing, it is the fact that they even entertain and voice
the thought.

A scientific study has already been published where drivers
of luxury cars are more prone to rude behaviour than drivers
of more mundane cars. The behaviours exhibited included:
blowing through crosswalks, running stop signs and
leaning on the horn.

It's part of the my **** don't stink mentality and it needs
to stop.

SInce you bring up my original post, then for the record it
went something like this:

If someone comes to close to me in a crosswalk he
can expect that I might roll over his hood and still be
screaming in pain when the cops arrive to take a report
.... or I might walk away.
Bodily harm versus a lump on a metal toy.

Which is more disturbing?

This time, my post won't be edited to "nm" or at all.
It will stand as is.

I was ignoring the thread and only dropped by to see
what GGG had to say.

I'm gone again, so anyone who still thinks mowing
down pedestrians is fair game can mutter to
themselves.

++

Old 03-06-2014, 07:45 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MoscowLeaper
XF and XJ (X351) As i said before, i don't remember a correct resistance of a airbags, but i'll try to find a correct data.
Please don't for the sake of the pedestrians that the system was intended to protect.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by plums
Please don't for the sake of the pedestrians that the system was intended to protect.
Oh yeah, and i should pay a gross amount of cash if i hit a pit on a road to "protect pedastrian". No way.
And, tell you what, XK, XF, XJ, even w/o a PPS are much safer for pedastrians, than some F150 or C3500.
To finish this fight, PPS switches off after a 40km/h. That's a factory behaivor.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:51 AM

Well, i've checked a docs. The resistanse should be within a 2-2.5 Ohms. Just like on a drivers or passenger airbag.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:12 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
NO - 'bonking' in the UK refers to a completely different activity.

I suggest you proceed with extreme caution when visiting this country to avoid some serious jail time!

Graham
There again, cow tipping might refer to an activity associated with adding 10-20% to a bar or restaurant tab presented by an unpleasant female server.

Ahhhh- the wonders of the English language.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:43 AM
Jae

Well, i've checked a docs. The resistanse should be within a 2-2.5 Ohms. Just like on a drivers or passenger airbag.
Thanks for the info, i was hoping to be able to disconnect the sensors so that the system would never see the trigger signal, i haven't been able to find a data sheet or spec on the XF sensors but the ones i know of give a 0v in normal condition going to somewhere near 5v when triggered or simply an open circuit (with some kind of monitoring) going short circuit when operated.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:53 AM
Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

This technology seems to be about as useful as airbags in an airplane....
Let's be serious, if someone get's hit by a car, this "technology" is not going to change the outcome by a significant factor whatsoever. It was clearly designed to capture some sort of gov't kick back / tax break. Generally a company is not going to invest all the money to solve a problem that doesn't exist,..I sincerely doubt that the occurrence of XK/XKR's hitting pedestrians has ever been high enough to warranty the investment.

Furthermore, if the car was traveling at a fast enough rate to cause any substantial damage, the pedestrian is going to hit the glass which will do far more damage than a hood which is practically on a horizontal plane.

Last edited by M6XKR; 03-06-2014 at 10:56 AM.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:11 AM

This sensor output signal withn 0-5V, which is constantly changing while a vehicle is moving. PPS control module diagnsoe this sensor just like a ECM monitors a HO2S sensor - if the signal is not changing - then it is a sensor malfunction. Also PPS monitors the difference between signal of both of the sensor and, if the vehicle is equipped with an adaptive suspension, compares a signal with suspension accel. meters.
So it's very hard to fool a PPS control module.
If you fool a PPS CU with a small resistors instead of airbags - it will work fine. IF the condition of hood pop-up are met the PPS CU will simlply blow a resistor and will report an error code. Just replace a resistor, reset a CU with SDD and here you go again. SDD is able to reset one CU for a 5 times, after that you'll have to replace a PPS CU.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by M6XKR
This technology seems to be about as useful as airbags in an airplane....
Let's be serious, if someone get's hit by a car, this "technology" is not going to change the outcome by a significant factor whatsoever. It was clearly designed to capture some sort of gov't kick back / tax break. Generally a company is not going to invest all the money to solve a problem that doesn't exist,..I sincerely doubt that the occurrence of XK/XKR's hitting pedestrians has ever been high enough to warranty the investment.

Furthermore, if the car was traveling at a fast enough rate to cause any substantial damage, the pedestrian is going to hit the glass which will do far more damage than a hood which is practically on a horizontal plane.
Don't forget that the system works ONLY while a vehicle speed is within a range of 15-45km/h. So that's why this system is useless.

Old 03-06-2014, 12:33 PM
Jae

This sensor output signal withn 0-5V, which is constantly changing while a vehicle is moving. PPS control module diagnsoe this sensor just like a ECM monitors a HO2S sensor - if the signal is not changing - then it is a sensor malfunction. Also PPS monitors the difference between signal of both of the sensor and, if the vehicle is equipped with an adaptive suspension, compares a signal with suspension accel. meters.
So it's very hard to fool a PPS control module.
If you fool a PPS CU with a small resistors instead of airbags - it will work fine. IF the condition of hood pop-up are met the PPS CU will simlply blow a resistor and will report an error code. Just replace a resistor, reset a CU with SDD and here you go again. SDD is able to reset one CU for a 5 times, after that you'll have to replace a PPS CU.
Once again thanks for your information. It looks like a shall be fitting a 2.5 Ohm resistor and an inline fuse in place of each airbag. My control box has already triggered the airbags once and had to be reset and then a second time it needed resetting although it hadn't operated airbags just went into fault registering what jaguar calls " too many near impacts".
I had hoped that i could tackle problem so that the box didn't get triggered as i know the ecu will need replacing if it activates too many times.

Old 03-06-2014, 12:39 PM
Jae

If the sensors operate within a 0v - 5v range with 5v being the trigger point if a zener diode of for example 3.3v were placed across the sensor to clamp the voltage to no more than this would that work ? It would allow a varying voltage but not allow it to get high enough to trigger.

Thoughts anyone ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bypassing the pedestrian safety system