XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

A/C water in Passenger foot well

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 09:57 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gdrag
Has anyone had experience with intermittent water in the passenger floor welll from A/C? Took off under dash cover to check out but has not leaked water this since I removed the cover to see if could locate where water was coming from...I was assuming it was a plugged drain port but has not happened in a while...

I have(2007) XK and XKR coupes. The XKR developed "occluded duck bill symdrone" with a generous water dump into the passenger footwell. This was repaired by duck bill exchange at the Wilmington, DE Jag dealership for about $1000.00. Jaguar contributed to assist the cost.
Now living in Ft Lauderdale and found an independent garage who does predominately Jaguar repair. I had them tackle my XK duck bill. Their solution was to disconnect the exhaust, reach up with a long, modified needle nose player and remove the entire hose. They stay it is a better fix than trimming or replacing a hose and eliminates possibility of recurrence. Cost $300. Certainly cheaper.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:53 PM
Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Broken plastic piece in Duckbill

My car reportedly had the duckbill upgraded to the newer one before I bought it so I never worried much about this issue. I have the car up for sale and sure enough yesterday I see a few drops of water coming down in the passenger footwell while it is sweltering hot/humid here. So I know what to do thanks to everyone here. I don't have the camera but I grab my 6'2" 145lb son with arms longer than tree branches. So first he sticks his arm up under the tunnel just to find it. He stuck his finger in there and a little water came out and he said, "There's something loose in there". I think, "He isn't really too great with any of this so he probably is just feeling the rubber flap or something". So we rig up the knife and wire ties and hose clamp to his index finger and send him back. He gets up in there and flicks it once and I hear this small noise of something falling. "Did you cut through it already"? "Nope. I just took that point and flicked that thing out." So he crawls under the car and water is pouring all over the place now (Hurray!) on the garage floor that was spotless when we started. He gives me this. WTF? and HowTF did it get in the duckbill? Problem solved but any clue where this might have come from? Anywhere in the system that something like this could break off and travel the length only to be caught at the end of the line? The one thought I am having is that someone put it in there on purpose to keep it open...

This black plastic piece was in the Duckbill!

plastic found in Duckbill...

Old 08-17-2018, 06:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 545 Likes on 364 Posts

It is possible it is a remnant of something broken off during assembly inside the air box plenum. Think in terms of something attached by plastic snaps that, now broken, washed into the drain and blocked it.
The good news is your son was able to clear it and, BTW, many of us wish we had fingers long enough to have reached up in there for that purpose.

Old 08-17-2018, 11:02 AM
Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by pwpacp
It is possible it is a remnant of something broken off during assembly inside the air box plenum. Think in terms of something attached by plastic snaps that, now broken, washed into the drain and blocked it.
The good news is your son was able to clear it and, BTW, many of us wish we had fingers long enough to have reached up in there for that purpose.
Right? He is so light he got up and knelt on the passenger side of the engine bay (on the shock tower and a small corner-cross brace piece after putting some padding on it ) and got those long hands in there no problem. I would have never got up on there and my short paws wouldn't have found anything I am pretty sure. Maybe I can put him on the road cutting duckbills for XK owners for a summer job next year!

Good thought on the plenum box. I have never seen one and not sure what might snap in there. It was the darndest thing to see that piece come out of there!

Old 10-16-2019, 11:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ac duckbill repair

Originally Posted by mkmccoy
Update: Duckbill repair (lowering exhaust and trans) is $629. Infotainment screen software update* is $225. New key fob with programming $400. Still waiting on the decision from Jaguar North America to assist in covering the AC repair.

*I was informed the software update carries a very small risk of frying out the entire unit. I'm rolling the dice.
I'm afraid to do any electrical work to fix my missing AM issue and will take my 07 XK to the Jaguar agency for the duckbill operation.
It's just amazing selling cars at a 100K can't produce dashboard screens that actually work day to day, or keep water from cascading onto your girlfriends suede shoes. I say Jaguar's CEO should fall to his or her knees and beg any Hyundai designer willing to join the crazy circus come at once.
The one Hyundai designer should be paid the total salary of the thirty idiots he or she replaces.
Problem solved

Last edited by big mike; 10-16-2019 at 11:20 PM. Reason: I'm calmer now
Old 10-19-2019, 08:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I read these posts the week before I was to pick up my XK in Dallas. First question when I got there was if any repairs were made to the AC or had there been any water in the footwell. No one sure about repairs and no water found inside. Seems it had been in hot dry areas for awhile as the car was trucked from NJ to NV then to Texas...still not sure how that happened but found original owner info in the glovebox. Anyway, no water inside so far.....and average amounts of water outside. On the road trip back to WV I checked at every stop for water and did the blow out routine a few times, which did increase water dripping out.

So far so good but winter is on the way and she will be garaged most of that time....unless its a cold sunny dry day

Old 10-20-2019, 12:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck, the XK is much easier to get at the duckbill, my XKR looks like a challenge

Old 10-20-2019, 01:03 PM
Default Duck bill

Howell,
Yes the xkr has more obstacles interfering with your path to the bill. This is so unnecessary, why they didn't make the drain tube longer or simply open like most every other manufacturer is beyond understanding.
Its like dating a ballerina; total pain but you just can't stop.

Old 07-09-2021, 07:40 AM
Default success

Just did the blowers on with vents closed......blew the duck bill open......water draining under car now......thanks guys