XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Can we talk about the 5.0L water pump

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 03:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

I spoke with my local Jaguar shop foreman about the water pump issues and I was somewhat disappointed when he informed me that Jaguar had issued a bulletin that some water pump leakage or staining is "normal" on our cars and does not necessarily warrant a replacement if under warranty. It's up to the dealership to decide if it is leaking badly enough to get replaced. Yes there are 3 updates on the water pumps so if you are getting yours replaced #3 is the charm. I was told that 4 or 5 engines have been replaced due to overheating which really isn't a lot for a dealership, but I wouldn't want to be one of those poor souls! Go figure!

Old 07-09-2014, 03:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by bocatrip
I spoke with my local Jaguar shop foreman about the water pump issues and I was somewhat disappointed when he informed me that Jaguar had issued a bulletin that some water pump leakage or staining is "normal" on our cars and does not necessarily warrant a replacement if under warranty. It's up to the dealership to decide if it is leaking badly enough to get replaced. Yes there are 3 updates on the water pumps so if you are getting yours replaced #3 is the charm. I was told that 4 or 5 engines have been replaced due to overheating which really isn't a lot for a dealership, but I wouldn't want to be one of those poor souls! Go figure!
I find this/your outcome totally, totally unacceptable! I contacted JCNA about a number of issues we're experienced that were not due to user negligence or abuse and should have been bona fide warranty issues. I mentioned, if they want to learn where the problems lie, join our site ( I provided the link) to learn about these complaints. Their response was we are not an "official" JCNA sponsored site. What kind of BS reply is that. So, I visited the "official" site and it was "dead" compared to ours.
This grates on me to no end!

Attached Images  
Old 07-09-2014, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 346 Likes on 239 Posts

id like ot know what the cost will be to purchase the most UTD water pump and have it installed. Just really really want to know what that would cost.

Loth

Old 07-09-2014, 06:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by Lothar52
id like ot know what the cost will be to purchase the most UTD water pump and have it installed. Just really really want to know what that would cost.

Loth
Why would you do that when a new version will be available in September?

The following users liked this post:
Lothar52 (07-09-2014)
Old 07-09-2014, 07:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JgaXkr
Why would you do that when a new version will be available in September?
Id wait for that version... just wondering what the labor would cost!!!

Loth

Old 07-09-2014, 07:49 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 926 Likes on 607 Posts

Originally Posted by Lothar52
Id wait for that version... just wondering what the labor would cost!!!

Loth

Should not be a big job. I would say about 2-2.5 hours shop time plus the cost of the new pump. For out of warranty cars it would be money well spent. For in warranty cars, go to your dealer before warranty runs out and insist on having it replaced under warranty--it is your car and your engine--for proven defective design. It is only a matter of time before the pump goes and you don't want to loose your engine with it out of warranty! You had all 4 of your headlights replaced under warranty. The water pump is less expensive and much more critical.

Last edited by DGL; 07-09-2014 at 07:52 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:26 PM
Veteran Member

I don't mean to add fuel to the fire, but I heard that a water pump was replaced at 5,000 miles! I have not heard anything definitive that the water pump replacement #3 has proven to be reliable. Only time will tell on that one.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member

How do we know an improved water pump is coming out in September again?!

Old 07-10-2014, 10:21 AM
Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts

FYI: the 4.0 L (XK8) 3rd generation Jaguar W/P still has a plastic impeller. Changed my wife's 2000 just for fun!
Very simple task; but nothing wrong with old one.............
I believe some after market (4.0L) impellers are Al.
Don't understand why Jaguar has to try 3 times to get it right, still!!

Cheers, Adrian

Old 07-11-2014, 10:11 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Had my original water pump replaced a year and half ago at 48,000 miles. it was leaking everywhere and was obviously bad. Just replaced that pump myself at 80,000 miles, after smelling coolant and having my low coolant light go off twice. Dealer wanted $275 for the pump assembly or $850 to replace and install it. I ended up buying it from Brian Wilson at jaguarpartscheap.com. Brian was super knowledgeable and made sure I had every thing I need for the job. The pump I bought was part# C2Z21781 and that looks to be the same pump that was installed a year and a half ago (identical markings and numbers on the pump). The pump comes with the gaskets but I had to order the O-ring and outlet tube as they are not included with the pump.
The pump is made by Ford Motor Co and is a two piece component with an internal gasket. Never seen anything like it. The internal gasket is what failed on my pump. My guess is that is a very common issue with this pump. The newest pump is also available at jaguarpartscheap but it is $453. Had I read this post and known the pump I was getting was the same as the previous I may have gone for the more expensive one, but I wasn't sure the old one was the same until it was out, and I didn't want to be without a car for several days.
Replacing the pump isn't difficult for the average DIY mechanic. A few tips...the tension bar can be can be slacked by inserting a 3/8" socket wrench into the square hole in the bottom of it. I used a cheater bar with the wrench which made it a simple task. You will need to take the tension bar off after you get the belt loose, but it's not difficult. There is a hard plastic tube coming out of the front of the water pump. You have to push on the plastic ring that is up against the pump while you pull the tube out of the pump. Tube comes straight out, nothing fancy. After the water pump is bolted on (4 bolts), put some coolant back in through the top of the water pump before you re-connect the hose going into the water pump. It's the only way to make sure you don't have air pockets in the engine as the only other place to add coolant is the excess reservoir.

Last edited by Mccainszoo; 07-11-2014 at 10:18 PM. Reason: 2010 XF Premium Portfolio 5.0
The following 2 users liked this post by Mccainszoo:
71jagman (09-08-2020), axr6 (07-12-2014)
Old 07-12-2014, 08:55 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mccainszoo
Had my original water pump replaced a year and half ago at 48,000 miles. it was leaking everywhere and was obviously bad. Just replaced that pump myself at 80,000 miles, after smelling coolant and having my low coolant light go off twice. Dealer wanted $275 for the pump assembly or $850 to replace and install it. I ended up buying it from Brian Wilson at jaguarpartscheap.com. Brian was super knowledgeable and made sure I had every thing I need for the job. The pump I bought was part# C2Z21781 and that looks to be the same pump that was installed a year and a half ago (identical markings and numbers on the pump). The pump comes with the gaskets but I had to order the O-ring and outlet tube as they are not included with the pump.
The pump is made by Ford Motor Co and is a two piece component with an internal gasket. Never seen anything like it. The internal gasket is what failed on my pump. My guess is that is a very common issue with this pump. The newest pump is also available at jaguarpartscheap but it is $453. Had I read this post and known the pump I was getting was the same as the previous I may have gone for the more expensive one, but I wasn't sure the old one was the same until it was out, and I didn't want to be without a car for several days.
Replacing the pump isn't difficult for the average DIY mechanic. A few tips...the tension bar can be can be slacked by inserting a 3/8" socket wrench into the square hole in the bottom of it. I used a cheater bar with the wrench which made it a simple task. You will need to take the tension bar off after you get the belt loose, but it's not difficult. There is a hard plastic tube coming out of the front of the water pump. You have to push on the plastic ring that is up against the pump while you pull the tube out of the pump. Tube comes straight out, nothing fancy. After the water pump is bolted on (4 bolts), put some coolant back in through the top of the water pump before you re-connect the hose going into the water pump. It's the only way to make sure you don't have air pockets in the engine as the only other place to add coolant is the excess reservoir.

Do you own an XK or an XF?

Old 07-12-2014, 02:04 PM

XF 5.0 w/o supercharger. I believe the water pump on the XK has the identical set up.

Old 07-12-2014, 02:35 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mccainszoo
XF 5.0 w/o supercharger. I believe the water pump on the XK has the identical set up.

I believe it is as well.

Old 08-30-2014, 03:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default XKR Coolant leak

I recently had the water pump replaced on my 2010 XKR (under my 12 month used car warranty) after I took it to the dealership as I'd had a "Low Coolant" warning on the screen, and despite topping up the coolant level continued to require topping up.
However a few weeks later, after a long weekend drive totalling 700 miles, the warning re-occurred and the fluid level level continued to reduce below Min level. I took it back to the dealership and they showed me the amount of fluid leakage into the engine tray. I've now had to leave it at their workshop for a few days while they investigate.
What could this be? They told me they can't diagnose without stripping part of the engine to have clear access.
The job will be under my warranty but I'm curious what the possible causes could be?
David

Old 08-30-2014, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by DLux
I recently had the water pump replaced on my 2010 XKR (under my 12 month used car warranty) after I took it to the dealership as I'd had a "Low Coolant" warning on the screen, and despite topping up the coolant level continued to require topping up.
However a few weeks later, after a long weekend drive totalling 700 miles, the warning re-occurred and the fluid level level continued to reduce below Min level. I took it back to the dealership and they showed me the amount of fluid leakage into the engine tray. I've now had to leave it at their workshop for a few days while they investigate.
What could this be? They told me they can't diagnose without stripping part of the engine to have clear access.
The job will be under my warranty but I'm curious what the possible causes could be?
David
The good news appears to be that the missing coolant is in the engine tray and does not disappear into the engine combustion chambers. With that information, it should not be too difficult to isolate the leak to a hose or radiator component, given that the water pump has just been replaced. Good luck with the repair.

The following users liked this post:
DLux (08-30-2014)
Old 08-31-2014, 01:48 PM

I had to replace my Outer Tube after replacing the water pump. I now believe the Outer Tube could have been the problem all along. It is a plastic piece that carries coolant from the top of the engine (behind the water pump but under the intake manifold) to the hoses to the right of the water pump as you are facing the car. The Outer Tube is a plastic piece that looks like it is two piece that are put together when it is manufactured. Mine sprung a small leak right in the middle of the seam. The leak was behind the water pump, so I couldn't see it until I had the manifold raised and did a pressure test on the coolant system.

Must be a common problem, the local Nashville Jag dealer had it in stock, and they don't carry much inventory. I saw on another post where Brutal had replaced a couple of them in one day. Part was less then $30, and it gave me a chance to clean my intake valves up a bit.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mccainszoo:
DLux (08-31-2014), Ngarara (08-31-2014)
Old 09-03-2014, 03:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Problem solved! I've just got my XKR back from the Jaguar dealership garage and the coolant leak was due to a faulty new water pump which had only been fitted a few weeks earlier! Apparently it had fractured. They have now replaced it but presumably with the same type of pump so fingers crossed that new one is not faulty. So pleased to get my car back after 4 days absence.
Thanks for all the suggestions.
David

Old 09-03-2014, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by DLux
Problem solved! I've just got my XKR back from the Jaguar dealership garage and the coolant leak was due to a faulty new water pump which had only been fitted a few weeks earlier! Apparently it had fractured. They have now replaced it but presumably with the same type of pump so fingers crossed that new one is not faulty. So pleased to get my car back after 4 days absence.
Thanks for all the suggestions.
David
Thanks for the update. Seems like Jaguar is having an unusually hard time to finally come out with a water pump that is reliable.

Old 09-03-2014, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

There be a rumour in these parts that yet another redesign of the water pump will be available this month. If it turns out to be true, I may just opt for an upgrade at my next service.

The following 2 users liked this post by Ngarara:
DGL (09-03-2014), Lothar52 (09-11-2014)
Old 09-03-2014, 09:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ngarara
There be a rumour in these parts that yet another redesign of the water pump will be available this month. If it turns out to be true, I may just opt for an upgrade at my next service.
Let us know what you find out Ross... I'm antsy about this topic I want a pump that does it's job right all the time!!

Quick Reply: Can we talk about the 5.0L water pump