Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Can we talk about the 5.0L water pump

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 346 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Rahtok
Looks like the issues may be with the normally aspirated one, not the XKR. I know the one I saw at the dealer a couple weeks ago was an XK, and not an R.
Been looking up for the 5.0L supercharged XKR's on cars.com. Lots of "water pump replaced" around 15-40k miles. It is a problem for the 5.0L supercharged models as well as the NA version.

Loth

Old 10-06-2014, 10:13 AM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

I wonder if cars.com can repudiate that data. With different pumps that makes it a very strange read... With the R being just a trim level to most sites, they may not silo the data correctly.

Old 10-06-2014, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

So... XK pumps different from XKRs. We should start tracking failures for each to see where the design flaw is.

From the parts guy himself:

THE #’S YOU SUPPLIED ARE FOR THE WATER RAIL AND T-STAT, SUPERCHARGED CARS HAVE AN AUX PUMP AND RADIATOR FOR THE SUPERCHARGER, THE WATER PUMPS FOR THE ENGINE ARE A DIFFERENT PUMP.
I suspect he means that the supercharger aux pump is not the same thing as the engine water pump because the parts system only lists the one engine water pump for the 5.0L cars. There have been a number of versions of it over the years but it is the same pump for the XK and XKR.

It is the hoses that differ.

Old 10-07-2014, 08:53 AM

Ah -- thanks for the clarification. And if the fix is the hoses, it's only the XKs that they're looking to redesign so far. <rubs chin>

Old 10-07-2014, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member

Ah -- thanks for the clarification. And if the fix is the hoses, it's only the XKs that they're looking to redesign so far. <rubs chin>
WHO KNOWS!?!? Im disappointed...nobody has the answer

Old 11-13-2014, 06:52 AM
Veteran Member

Ive been doing a search of 5.0L cars on cars.com. Seems like if your looking at a 2010 and 2011 almost all had at some point when someone turned the car back in and they did an inspection USUALLY a water pump replacement...before 20,000 miles. But finding with 2012's up with even up to 50,000 miles far fewer water pump replacements... interesting. I wonder if this was mainly just a early 5.0L problem???

The following 2 users liked this post by Lothar52:
DGL (11-13-2014), ralphwg (11-13-2014)
Old 11-13-2014, 08:26 AM
Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts

Just had my Water Pump replaced on my 10 XK 5.0 NA, 36K mile. It was not leaking. I took the car in to have a noise checked out that I had isolated to the AC. I was 2 days away from end of factory warranty.
The service rep drove it with me to verify the noise, then the service manager drove it and both expressed concern about the ac compressor. They ended up changing out the compressor and the water pump. I was told that the water pump was noisy and should be replaced.
I must say that I have been very impressed with my Jaguar service.
Not so much for parts design. Never seen a compressor or water pump replacement at 36,000 in any other car.
Of course, this is why I bought an extended warranty though so no worries.
Still love my XK.

The following users liked this post:
Lothar52 (11-13-2014)
Old 11-13-2014, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

This water pump thing has become a phantom looming over my head. I check my coolant level once a month and stay alert to any coolant smell after parking the car. Although I only have 7,500 miles, I know it's not a matter of if but when. My local Jaguar service manager mentioned that he's seen the pump fail as early as 5,000 miles. It's not giving me that "warm and fuzzy feeling".

Old 11-13-2014, 05:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,141 Likes on 3,384 Posts

Subscribed, because I recently bought a CPO 2013 XJ 5.0L SC SWB with 28K miles and noticed the distinctive aroma of coolant when parked after a 20 minute drive. No apparent leaks, "low coolant" warning message or overheating - yet. Bought the XJ from the original selling dealer and the service records didn't show a water pump repair. By contrast, I never smelled coolant from my 2009 XKR (4.2L), which now has 36K miles.

XJ is due for service in a couple of months and I 'll bring up the water pump issue at that time. I'm not concerned because my CPO warranty is good though 12/30/2018 - 6 years from the initial date placed in service, which was 12/30/2012 - or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first.

I now understand the dilemma of the bigamist who loves both of his wives. The XJ is my daily driver and I save the XKR for the nice days. Both are gorgeous, different, and great fun! Not sure which one I like better.

Old 11-13-2014, 06:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Subscribed, because I recently bought a CPO 2013 XJ 5.0L SC SWB with 28K miles and noticed the distinctive aroma of coolant when parked after a 20 minute drive. No apparent leaks, "low coolant" warning message or overheating - yet. Bought the XJ from the original selling dealer and the service records didn't show a water pump repair. By contrast, I never smelled coolant from my 2009 XKR (4.2L), which now has 36K miles.

XJ is due for service in a couple of months and I 'll bring up the water pump issue at that time. I'm not concerned because my CPO warranty is good though 12/30/2018 - 6 years from the initial date placed in service, which was 12/30/2012 - or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first.

I now understand the dilemma of the bigamist who loves both of his wives. The XJ is my daily driver and I save the XKR for the nice days. Both are gorgeous, different, and great fun! Not sure which one I like better.
Let me see if I got this right, Stuart; the XJ is the one that cooks and cleans house and the XKR is where you go for romance... right?

In my case there will be a divorce from the XJL at the end of the lease in a few months but, the sexy one, the XKR is a keeper :-).

Old 11-13-2014, 09:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,141 Likes on 3,384 Posts

Originally Posted by axr6
Let me see if I got this right, Stuart; the XJ is the one that cooks and cleans house and the XKR is where you go for romance... right? ...
Albert,

Well, not exactly. The one that cooks and cleans house is the MDX. Romance is standard equipment on both the XJ and XKR; the only difference is what mood I'm in and that depends on the weather. Nice days call for the top down in the XKR; otherwise, it's the XJ.

They're like sisters - the XJ is a brunette, older and mature while the XKR is a blonde, young and high maintenance. Both are stunning, inside and out but have different personalities and qualities. Which do I prefer? Depends on my mood and the weather.

Reminds me of the old word play joke:
What word describes the status of a man who has 3 wives: Polygamy
What word describes the status of a man who has 2 wives: Bigamy
What word describes the status of a man who has 1 wife: Monogamy-WRONG! The right answer is: Monotony!

No monotony for me!

Stuart

The following 3 users liked this post by Stuart S:
axr6 (11-16-2014), bobdr1 (11-14-2014), ralphwg (11-14-2014)
Old 11-16-2014, 10:53 PM
Veteran Member

Stuart - nice word play joke :-).

Envious about your romance with both of your Jaguars. Unfortunately, many times, I hated my XJL for its terrible freeway ride. To put it in kinky perspective; it felt like riding a vibrator. Now, after 23,000 miles the ride has improved to be tolerable, still far from what I would expect from a limousine. I suspect that something is wrong with the electronic dampers as they can not seem to dampen out the high frequency vibrations from going over perfectly smooth black top surfaces.

Jaguar was no help and I consider this XJL the absolute worst riding car I've ever had. My XKR has a stiffer suspension but, rides better in the absence of the high frequency vibrations. Same for the wife's XF. I will miss the ambiance of the XJL but, certainly not the ride. For me the XJL is that beautiful woman with a bad breath; you keep hoping that the problem would go away but, you know by now that it won't :-).

Last edited by axr6; 11-16-2014 at 11:07 PM.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:35 PM
Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Count me in for water pump failure on a 2010 XKR. Started up the car, drove for about 5 minutes, got a low coolant warning. Stopped. Topped it up with coolant I was carrying in the car, drove it again for about 5 minutes back to the house. Warning light came on again. Topped it off again, but this time it took quite a lot of fluid. Never got an engine temp warning. Called dealer. Had car towed. Diagnosis just in: "bad" water pump, replaced under warranty with most recent OEM part, at 34,000 miles. Cost without warranty would have been $1700 or so.

Dealer service rep says this is a known problem. Has replaced bad pumps at 10,000 miles. Says I was "lucky" I got to 34,000!! I shared what I thought of that opinion. What he also said, though, was that he has had ZERO problems with water pumps on these cars after replacement. So that's good.

So...happy ending, but some nervous moments there. Need to mop up my garage floor and get back to motoring!

Last edited by Bruce M.; 08-06-2015 at 06:42 PM.
DGL (08-06-2015)
Old 08-07-2015, 12:28 PM

Bruce, Which dealer did you go to? Bellevue or Fife?

Old 08-07-2015, 06:46 PM
Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Speaking of the hoses, I took mine in to get the temp sensors changed and the dealer informed me of an "upgrade" which replaces the hoses and thermostat housing. I'll post up the part numbers when I find the quote sheet.

Old 08-08-2015, 01:37 AM

Bruce, Which dealer did you go to? Bellevue or Fife?
Neither. Jaguar of Seattle, which is actually in Lynnwood. Dmitri runs the place, and Gabe is my service rep. Both solid dudes.

Old 08-09-2015, 01:36 AM
Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce M.
Neither. Jaguar of Seattle, which is actually in Lynnwood. Dmitri runs the place, and Gabe is my service rep. Both solid dudes.
How are they on electrical issues? I am getting some fairly random warnings (park brake not available, e-diff not available, special modes not available, etc.) but they are very intermittent and seem to go away after charging the battery. Keep waiting for it to become a permanent problem but wife says take it in before it leaves us stranded...

Old 08-09-2015, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by Nookieman
How are they on electrical issues? I am getting some fairly random warnings (park brake not available, e-diff not available, special modes not available, etc.) but they are very intermittent and seem to go away after charging the battery. Keep waiting for it to become a permanent problem but wife says take it in before it leaves us stranded...
Never have engaged them on electrical issues. Started getting those same sort of weird symptoms, picked up an AGM battery and had them install it. Symptoms left and haven't come back.

Old 08-09-2015, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member

Count me in as well on water pump failure. 2012 XKR. Had a timing chain tensioner problem on my 12 with a startup chatter (yes... a 5.0L!!)... and low and behold they had to take the top of the engine off to get to the parts and the supercharger and what do you know.. WATER PUMP WAS LEAKING. Mine had 25,000 miles on it.. never had a low coolant warning either.

Loth

JgaXkr (08-09-2015)
Old 08-10-2015, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member

This thread is making me PARANOID :-).

Wondering if anyone have any statistics as to the failure rates of the 5.0 water pumps?

I've just turned in my '12 XJL with 30K miles and no water pump issues. My '10XKR and our '12 NA XF (both 5.0) have about 7k miles on them and are now our daily drivers. With all the failures I see on this forum I am getting to be uncomfortable with taking these cars to the longer drives that we tend to make.

In my garage I just pulled off the plastic engine covers from both cars, looking for signs of leakage. Both coolant reservoirs are completely full no signs of leakage, however, I find it very difficult to get a clear view of the water pump area on either cars.

If these pumps fail with the frequency as I'm seeing on this forum, perhaps Jaguar should replace them as a preventive maintenance item. Yeah, I know, good luck with that...

Last edited by axr6; 08-10-2015 at 04:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Can we talk about the 5.0L water pump