XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Can we talk about the 5.0L water pump

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 07:58 AM
Received 194 Likes on 123 Posts

Thanks Ngarara, it could be a totally different noise altogether. Showed the car to a friend at work earlier today and we noticed that the noise disappeared about 30 seconds after engine start. Maybe SAI? We took the car around the block and could both smell something "warm and sweet", a bit like someone was baking some sort of cake when we opened the bonnet afterwards.

I got a pile of service invoices etc. with the car, only really had a quick look at them at the weekend but I'll have a proper look this week. When I got the car home (from Southport, about 350 miles away) I had a good look over it and found the coolant level was a bit low, it took around 900ml to get it back to the MIN line on the tank. I didn't check at the time I collected the car so it could just be that it wasn't filled fully last time something was done that involved (partially) draining the coolant but given the warm antifreeze smell I do suspect a leak somewhere.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

From my experience the typical failure of a water pump is the seal. It usually starts to leak either by lack of use or material or shaft wear. The coolant then washes the bearing grease which will then destroy the bearing. The weep hole in the front of the WP housing helps to let small leaks drain aimed at saving the bearing. It extends the bearing life. Also at times during heat up the seal will expand and maintain a seal. So besides seeing a drop of coolant in the expansion tank the best inspection is to look under the front of the WP and see for signs of leakage out of the weep hole. On some cars this is easy but on the Jag due to packaging it is a difficult and timely check. So if you want to be safe then have it done. Just my 2 cents.

The following users liked this post:
8bit (10-12-2018)
Old 10-10-2018, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 549 Likes on 380 Posts

Mine didn't make noise either, just slow coolant leak evident upon visual inspection.

Search a bit on the forum and you will find some members reported loud noises coming from the pump.

Old 10-11-2018, 07:50 AM
Received 83 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Mine made a sh!tlo@d of noise!

See my earlier post in this thread, #202. Mine was so bad I told the wife to leave the car in the garage and take mine. Now, I don't know if it started out quietly and gradually got worse, because she drives the car daily and I don't see or hear what's happening, so this was most likely a problem that started a while back, and by luck I just happened to hear it before it left her on the side of the road. Anyway, replacing the pump is not a bad job, if you're handy with "spanners" (Brit joke). See my pictures on post #225, I did the repair back in July and so far, so good.
Rick

8bit (10-12-2018)
Old 11-10-2018, 04:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5,0 super charged, is the water pump also a problem on the super charged engine ?

My 2009 xkr 5,0 s/c seems to be leaking from the water pump, only 20.000 miles...
05-30-2014, 07:12 PM
u102768
Garage is empty, add now

This is the text from one of the Jaguar technical bulletins on the 5.0L water pumps:

Cause: Coolant ingress into the bearing housing leads to corrosion of the bearing and incorrect support for the impeller shaft. This in turn causes accelerated wear of the mechanical flat face seal leading to coolant loss sufficient to generate a low coolant level warning message in the Instrument Pack display.

NOTE: The water pump can display some dry coolant residue on the pump body, and surrounding area, during normal operation. A small amount of coolant may temporarily weep through the pump seals or from the evaporation chamber. This does not affect the operation of the pump or the cooling system, and it does not damage the water pump. A small amount of dry coolant residue on the pump body, pulleys, belts, or around the front of the engine are not alone sufficient justification for changing a water pump.

Then there is SSM50177:

Issue: The Customer reports a low coolant message on the instrument pack display. A coolant leak is identified from the area around the coolant pump pulley. This affects 5.0L engines only on XJ, XF, XK.

Cause: Internal sealing failure.
Action: Revised water pumps are available to order through Unipart, part number C2D 20660.

u102768
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocatrip
It seems from a pervious post that the part number for this revised water pump has been updated twice.

Yup, I was just quoting the SSM from 2011. The latest number is coming up as C2Z21781.
[/QUOTE]

Old 11-10-2018, 04:37 PM
Default Hey, anybody know If the water pump also is a problem on the 5,0L s/c engine ?

My 2009 xkr 5,0 s/c seems to be leaking from the water pump, only 20.000 miles...

im about to order a new pump and the rubber hose that goes on it..

anything else to look for ?

thanks

Old 11-10-2018, 07:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

Because it's a corrosion issue within the pump, the age of the car is more important than the mileage. If yours still has the original pump and you can smell leaking coolant, it's very likely to have a corroded bearing.

Queen and Country (11-10-2018)
Old 11-10-2018, 07:50 PM
Received 177 Likes on 101 Posts

Which brings up the issue, is dexcool causing
the corosion?! Is there a better alternative coolant
That wont deteriate our plastic parts and waterpumps?

Old 11-11-2018, 08:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

Yes. All Jaguar and Land Rover 5.0L engines are affected, regardless of model, (XF, XJ, XK, etc.). For more details and a list of all the different OEM replacement part numbers, see: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...placed-132537/

Old 05-02-2019, 11:24 AM
Default My Turn; 2010 XFR 72,000 miles

My 2010 XFR finally gave me the official notification it was leaking antifreeze enough to prompt the low coolant indicator light to come on. I have had the car since new and never got this message, so I added coolant. A week later, the level dropped again so I knew the party was over. Two things that I noticed with my situation: 1) My car was out of warranty when I first smelled the faint smell of coolant, which I smelled for several years; I drove my car once or 2 X a week for mostly short trips and checked the reservoir religiously. At the first whiff, I inspected the water pump and hoses, including the weep hole and protective "tray" under the engine. No fluid whatsoever. Spoke to the dealer 4 years ago who confirmed the smell but couldn't find any evidence of a leak. Said preventative course of action would be to replace the water pump--given the history with 5.0L. I decided to wait at my own risk given low mileage driving etc. No problems but seal finally must have went and fluid evident in tray. FYI, lost at least half a gallon of fluid over two weeks of driving and ZERO drops on the garage floor or driveway; pan, wind and evaporation. $1600 OEM repair. Car is 10 years old and owes me nothing. My biggest gripe with the 2010 XFR is the leather dash. They do not hold up; even my second dash, replaced in 2014 is "bubbling." That and the Satellite radio presets disappearing are my biggest gripes. Only other repair I had to make was a passenger front wheel bearing.

Old 05-02-2019, 12:16 PM
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks for this interesting update on the coolant topic. So what did they actually repair fot the $1600? For this kind of money I guess it was more than just a new water pump.

Best regards!
ter

Old 05-03-2019, 09:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

I have replaced my water pump in my 2010 XKR 5.0L twice in the last four months! And four times now altogether. These water pumps are clearly poorly designed or built or both. $1600 though is a lot of money for that repair. My indie did it for about 1/3 of that.

Old 05-03-2019, 10:08 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you all for this info over the years. I have a faint smell of coolant but no sign anywhere. Guess it will be time to replace.

Old 07-07-2019, 05:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default It’s a disgrace!

My 2011 XK noisily destroyed its water pump in Paris on our way home from a trip to Austria. First a “low coolant” warning and then a rattle to wake the dead and spray and steam everywhere. The car is still on its way back courtesy of RAC.

MY POINT is that it is a disgrace that after a century of water cooled ICE development a company like Jaguar cannot design a water pump immune to failure instead of one clearly demonstrated as prone to failure. I bet water pumps don’t fail in Challenger tanks.

SO I reckon Jaguar should at the very least supply the corrected replacement part free regardless of the warranty status and I intend to pursue this with JLR. The current part is clearly incompetent of design or manufacture.

Last edited by Ernold; 07-07-2019 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-07-2019, 05:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Ernold
My 2011 XK noisily destroyed its water pump in Paris on our way home from a trip to Austria. First a “low coolant” warning and then a rattle to wake the dead and spray and steam everywhere. The car is still on its way back courtesy of RAC.

MY POINT is that it is a disgrace that after a century of water cooled ICE development a company like Jaguar cannot design a water pump immune to failure instead of one clearly demonstrated as prone to failure. I bet water pumps don’t fail in Challenger tanks.

SO I reckon Jaguar should at the very least supply the corrected replacement part free regardless of the warranty status and I intend to pursue this with JLR. The current part is clearly incompetent of design or manufacture.
Al the best to you and your quest for justice ..many of us here in the states have fought the same battle with little chance of success. Perhaps, your outcome will be different.

Old 08-25-2020, 03:07 AM

I did not recognize until rereading elements of that antique thread that we are able to surely get a "low coolant" message. I notion we only get the "engine overheating" message. if you are planning to buy electric water heater message certainly comes on while it have to as a minimum we might have an option to right now stop before the engine is toast.

Old 06-15-2023, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 282 Likes on 170 Posts

For the second time I am now replacing my 5.0L XKR water pump. What I suspect was the original pump gave out at ~40K miles after ~ 7 years. The replacement lasted about 5 years and also only ~40K miles.

I was not driving the car particularly hard, but it was a very hot day. Luckily I spotted the "low coolant warning" message on the dash, and was able to very quickly park the car. It was down ~2 litres, so I topped it up with distilled water and let the engine cool down for ~2 hours before limping home ~10 miles. At home I checked it again and it needed another ~2 litres of water. I was then able to limp to my Indy mechanic ~ 5 miles, where-as by then, coolant was starting to spew out of the pump spraying all over the front of the engine.

Now ~$1,500 later the car is back on the road, luckily with no engine damage.

Old 06-15-2023, 10:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,159 Likes on 3,090 Posts

And my original pump is STILL good at 13 years and 70,000 miles. I guess I got a good one by luck.
Watch it explode tomorrow now.

Bill400 (06-16-2023)
Old 06-16-2023, 11:09 AM
Received 284 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
And my original pump is STILL good at 13 years and 70,000 miles. I guess I got a good one by luck.
CJ,
We don't hear much of the water pumps that remain working.
I had the small bleed tube, associated with the w/p, fail, so changed to the new bleed tube designlocation.
Wonder if the revised bleed has made a difference on w/p life?