Sponsored by: DashLynx

Can't Pass Inspection

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Can't Pass Inspection

Hi Forum,

I'm trying to get my '10 XKR registered, but in AZ, we have to do a vehicle inspection every 2 years....I'm up. The first time I tried, she failed inspection with some sensor codes which I got fixed, and the inspection tech stated my engine VIN number didn't match the car's VIN number. After the repairs, I tried again and was told the same thing, the engine VIN number didn't match the car's VIN number. I did have the engine replaced, but that was 4 years and at least 2 inspections ago. I also have a tune on my car, which is what I'm starting to think is causing the issue. Got the tune from Jags at ETG. My questions are, has anyone else had this experience? Am I correct in assuming the VIN number issue is caused by the tune? Do I have to go back to the dealer, get it flashed to factory default in order to pass the inspection? If this is the case, then having a tune sucks as I'll be facing the same dilemma every 2 years. I'd appreciate any thoughts or advice you guys have. Thank you.

The following users liked this post:
pk4144 (03-31-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

I take it you mean the Engine VIN in the ECU didn't match the installed engine? Or all three VINs different, the ECU, actual engine block and vehicle? Each state with inspections has a Referee station, or something like that called differently. They can give you a waiver which you can keep with the vehicle.

bklynchris (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 01:56 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
I take it you mean the Engine VIN in the ECU didn't match the installed engine? Or all three VINs different, the ECU, actual engine block and vehicle? Each state with inspections has a Referee station, or something like that called differently. They can give you a waiver which you can keep with the vehicle.
I went to the waiver station and they said the same thing. The inspection notes states, "EVIN not supported." I assume they're talking about the engine VIN.

Old 03-29-2017, 01:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

I wonder exactly on the hardware of a new engine would be VIN specific. ECU yeah but I'd think the Jaguars version of PATS would lock you out. Not sure on these but on the Lincoln's and other Ford's the ECU is linked to the cluster. A miss match and it won't go.

I'm curious how Arizona is seeing this problem.

bklynchris (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 01:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bklynchris
I went to the waiver station and they said the same thing. The inspection notes states, "EVIN not supported." I assume they're talking about the engine VIN.
I get this on the Fortran code readers. Sounds like the stations puter can't talk to the car's so they are rejecting you.

bklynchris (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 01:59 PM
Veteran Member

I'm thinking ECU

Old 03-29-2017, 02:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ranchero50
I get this on the Fortran code readers. Sounds like the stations puter can't talk to the car's so they are rejecting you.
Well, when I went last week to get it done, they gave me a couple of errors, MAF sensors that I got fixed. They had also mentioned the VIN, but didn't go into enough detail to make me think there was a problem. I was under the impression that I just needed to get the errors cleared. Any thoughts on how to get this fixed?

Old 03-29-2017, 03:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Go to your Jaguar dealer and have them inspect it if you are already doing business with them...

bklynchris (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 03:09 PM
Veteran Member

I'd talk to the supervisor, not the drones. He should be able to help you get it sorted out to your satisfaction. My old Lincoln LS get's a takes too long to warm up code during the winter so they just extended it until April.

MD is similar with a biannual emissions inspection where they just plug into the OBDii port and see what faults come up.

bklynchris (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 03:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I might be a little confused here but when you either had the inspection done or went to this board did you ask exactly what you had to do to correct the problem. Also do we assume you gave them the story of the replaced engine. Next does anyone know if the ECU is or can be updated to reflect the present engine number. Do you also have the documentation of the engine change and does it have the old engine number. Did you ask this question to your Jaguar dealer and do they know how to resolve it. Somehow I can't imagine there isn't a simple way around this with the proper documentation. Speak to supervisors or managers .

bklynchris (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 03:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Go to your Jaguar dealer and have them inspect it if you are already doing business with them...
Called the dealer and they offered to flash back to factory default, but wouldn't say if that would fix the issue. And they want a couple hundred bucks.....of course.

Old 03-29-2017, 03:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I might be a little confused here but when you either had the inspection done or went to this board did you ask exactly what you had to do to correct the problem. Also do we assume you gave them the story of the replaced engine. Next does anyone know if the ECU is or can be updated to reflect the present engine number. Do you also have the documentation of the engine change and does it have the old engine number. Did you ask this question to your Jaguar dealer and do they know how to resolve it. Somehow I can't imagine there isn't a simple way around this with the proper documentation. Speak to supervisors or managers .
That's the thing, I spoke to the manager at the inspection/waiver station and he simply stated I need to get it fixed....no details and I did ask. The Jag dealer offered to flash back to factory default.....again not stating whether or not this would fix the issue and I did ask.

Old 03-29-2017, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

That's the thing, I spoke to the manager at the inspection/waiver station and he simply stated I need to get it fixed....no details and I did ask. The Jag dealer offered to flash back to factory default.....again not stating whether or not this would fix the issue and I did ask.
BC I'm still a little thick here. Where did the inspector get the engine Vin # from. Do I assume through the OBDII port. What numbers don't match. Is it the stamped engine number or is it the ECM # that doesn't match. When they changed the engine did they change the ECM or any other modules. What did they say when you told them you had the engine replaced. Also why would a "tune" change any Vin numbers or ECM numbers. You can't fix something unless you know what needs to be fixed.

bklynchris (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 04:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Called the dealer and they offered to flash back to factory default, but wouldn't say if that would fix the issue. And they want a couple hundred bucks.....of course.
Did you buy it from them?

bklynchris (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 04:35 PM
Received 99 Likes on 61 Posts

My guess is that the VIN on the ECU does not match the true VIN. Probably not adjusted when new motor went in. Was the tune done at same time as engine swap? Inspection rules may have been updated. I had a problem with another make that required an ECU. I was able to get a previously owned one and had to supply the existing VIN, so maybe the new VIN did not get updated in your case.

Also, the EVIN designation is a bit interesting. I know there are some electronic vehicle identification number systems being implemented or considered. Wondering if this is part of some new system.

Grasping at straws a bit here...

bklynchris (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 04:45 PM
Received 99 Likes on 61 Posts

Just browsed a few sites and identified that eVIN's are being developed primarily to detect/prevent fraud when scanning OBD. Sounds like a measure to curb inspectors that run a clean vehicle thru tests using a VIN from a problem vehicle to get it passed in the system.

Guessing that the validity of the VIN on ECU is becoming more important in this mystery.

bklynchris (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 05:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Did you buy it from them?
No, I bought it t Hennessy Jaguar in Atlanta. I don't have a great relationship with the dealer here in AZ.

Old 03-29-2017, 05:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by J5hort
Just browsed a few sites and identified that eVIN's are being developed primarily to detect/prevent fraud when scanning OBD. Sounds like a measure to curb inspectors that run a clean vehicle thru tests using a VIN from a problem vehicle to get it passed in the system.

Guessing that the validity of the VIN on ECU is becoming more important in this mystery.
Based on my conversation with the inspector and the supervisor, I believe that's correct. The were reading the OBD port, so I believe they were "talking to the ECU," which is were the discrepancy lies. My mechanic just called me back and stated he's going through the same thing with a Maserati which also had a tune.....so he thinks it has to do with tuning the ECU.

Old 03-29-2017, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member

Makes sense. If the tune uploads all new data from a tweaked donor ECU it'll bring the donor DNA (VIN etc.) to your chassis ECU. If it just did the tables for performance your personal info (VIN etc) would still be there. Not sure how Jaguar updates but the SCT handheld I used on the LS would swap the data, old tune from the ECU to the SCT, new tune from the SCT to the ECU. The SCT became married to the VIN until the stock tune was transferred back. Then it was unlocked. Doesn't sound like your tune works that way, total loss on the original tune is going to be expensive to get the new ECU tune married to the chassis.

bklynchris (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 06:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,896 Likes on 1,286 Posts

Maybe contact ETG to find out what they loaded into the ECU with the tune, and if they loaded the VIN from some other donor vehicle, see if they can create a tune file with your current VIN, so you can upload it, thereby keeping your tune, and fixing your VIN issue.

The following 2 users liked this post by kj07xk:
bklynchris (03-29-2017), mosesbotbol (03-30-2017)