XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Car Wash - Mirror Cover - need a new one.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 03:01 PM
Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Car Wash - Mirror Cover - need a new one.

'07 XK Convertible: I set out to spend the day preparing the car for winter and the first thing is a good wash and hand wax. To get a start, I took it to the local "brushless" car wash that I run my XJ through all the time without miscue.

After they finished drying it, I drove off and then noted my passenger mirror was hugged against the window. I parked, got out and saw that my mirror cover was gone. I drove back to the place, had them stop the works and we found it about halfway back. It was cracked and scraped.

The dirtbag carwash owner, a boy who looked like he still wore diapers, tried to tell me that it was broken before and then pointed to the sign that says "not responsible". It wasn't. (Dr. Wash In Chantilly VA).

I'm in the market for a replacement. I found a place in the UK that sells them for $55US, but they appear to have almost every color except black. I've sent them a note to see if they have one that isn't advertised. I found one on Jagbits for $76 but only primed and needing a final paint coat. I thought about replacing them with the mirrored covers because you can get a pair for $77.

I'd like to use one of the forum sponsors if at all possible, but also want a good price. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited by FRGIII2014; 10-24-2015 at 03:05 PM.
Old 10-24-2015, 03:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

I think Mina has cf ones, though they probably go over your existing which shouldnt be a problem. Having bought the cf vents from Mina, I think that they look great and their stuff seems to be good quality.

The following users liked this post:
FRGIII2014 (10-25-2015)
Old 10-24-2015, 04:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 590 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by FRGIII2014
'07 XK Convertible: I set out to spend the day preparing the car for winter and the first thing is a good wash and hand wax. To get a start, I took it to the local "brushless" car wash that I run my XJ through all the time without miscue.

After they finished drying it, I drove off and then noted my passenger mirror was hugged against the window. I parked, got out and saw that my mirror cover was gone. I drove back to the place, had them stop the works and we found it about halfway back. It was cracked and scraped.

The dirtbag carwash owner, a boy who looked like he still wore diapers, tried to tell me that it was broken before and then pointed to the sign that says "not responsible". It wasn't. (Dr. Wash In Chantilly VA).

I'm in the market for a replacement. I found a place in the UK that sells them for $55US, but they appear to have almost every color except black. I've sent them a note to see if they have one that isn't advertised. I found one on Jagbits for $76 but only primed and needing a final paint coat. I thought about replacing them with the mirrored covers because you can get a pair for $77.

I'd like to use one of the forum sponsors if at all possible, but also want a good price. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Sorry to hear what happened to you. But another point is i can't understand why people use these motorized car washes, they are a disaster, damage waiting to happen. Luckily for me i have a hot wash power washer and room do do it myself. Every car i've owned i've washed myself when away from home if needed, with a lance washer and carried my own mitt, sponges and brushes should be banned.

FRGIII2014 (10-25-2015)
Old 10-24-2015, 09:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

The dirtbag carwash owner, a boy who looked like he still wore diapers, tried to tell me that it was broken before and then pointed to the sign that says "not responsible". It wasn't. (Dr. Wash In Chantilly VA). ...
FRGIII2014,

That "not responsible" sign worked exactly as intended; it discouraged you from making a property damage claim against Dr. Wash. You shouldn't throw in the towel so fast.

Based on the fact that the mirror was not previously damaged, Dr. Wash is liable for the damage to your car notwithstanding their self-serving sign disclaiming responsibility. How could the attendant know that your mirror was previously damaged? Obviously, he couldn't and he used that sign to brush you off - and you fell for it. But you know that mirror wasn't previously damaged because your XK is your pride and joy. Since it wasn't previously damaged, that damage must have been caused by the car wash equipment.

Like all other businesses, Dr. Wash carries a commercial liability insurance policy that, among other things, covers damage to property of others. Why do you want to pay the cost to repair damage that wasn't your fault? Have you checked to make sure your XK has no other damage? Do all of the mirror functions operate properly, such as tilt and remote fold in/out? If not, you could be looking at $1,000 or more to replace it. Is there any body damage?

I suggest that you get a written repair estimate from your Jaguar dealer including parts and labor and take pictures of that damaged mirror. Then send a letter to Dr. Wash, by certified mail, return receipt, to document the conversation you had with the attendant, including where that damaged cover was found inside the car wash, together with copies of that repair estimate and photos. Tell Dr. Wash that because your mirror was not previously damaged, their equipment must have caused the damage. Ask Dr. Wash to turn this matter over to their insurance company and tell them that if you do not receive a reply within 30 days that you will have no choice but to pursue your legal remedies.

This letter should get their attention. Hope this helps, and good luck!

Stuart

The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart S:
FRGIII2014 (10-25-2015), ralphwg (10-25-2015)
Old 10-25-2015, 08:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

As a side note my kid just got a new Audi A4 . She went to her usual touch free car wash and something went wrong with the spray are and it hit the front of her car. It didn't do to much damage but it nicked the paint in 3 places. To say the least she was furious. The attendant said nothing happened and she must have had the paint chips before she came in. The car had 600 miles on it and she told the kid it was new. She then saw the camera and did not move the car from the end of the bay and wanted to see the video. They called the manager and he looked at the video and the car and put in a claim. She was told to get an estimate which she did that day. She used the dealers paint chip repair guy and got it fixed a week later. She also got a months free car washes thrown in.

FRGIII2014 (10-25-2015)
Old 10-25-2015, 03:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,133 Likes on 1,307 Posts

I agree about the use of car washes: they ruin the paint and cause other damage and in some places they use recirculated water so that in winter your car is getting a lovely salt bath.
A point of information regarding the mirror cover on the 07 cars: this is exactly the same cover as used on the XJ (2004 onward) and X-Type (2002 onward), so that might make the search a bit easier - and I can confirm this because I have had all these cars and interchanged the covers.

FRGIII2014 (10-25-2015)
Old 10-26-2015, 07:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

These Jaguar XK and XKR vehicles cost anywhere from $80,000 to $110,000 when new.

Owners of cars of this caliber should not be putting them through automatic car washes.

These cars deserve to be washed by hand and only hand. Many owners do not understand the damage that can be created by car washes. Not only damaging items like the mirror's, but consider the damage that is done to the paint surface.

Just think of the headaches that could have been saved if you only would have washed the Jaguar yourself. I am sure this situation would not have occurred if you would have taken some personal time to wash the car yourself.

A good lesson learned.

mosesbotbol (10-28-2015)
Old 10-27-2015, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by richzak
These Jaguar XK and XKR vehicles cost anywhere from $80,000 to $110,000 when new.

Owners of cars of this caliber should not be putting them through automatic car washes.

These cars deserve to be washed by hand and only hand. Many owners do not understand the damage that can be created by car washes. Not only damaging items like the mirror's, but consider the damage that is done to the paint surface.

Just think of the headaches that could have been saved if you only would have washed the Jaguar yourself. I am sure this situation would not have occurred if you would have taken some personal time to wash the car yourself.

A good lesson learned.
I agree that hand wash is the only way to treat my own car, I never use an automatic or any hand wash service at a local facility. Certainly never let the kids that do it for free for charity washes. They are dropping those rags on the ground, picking them up and using them over and over again. No way Jose. Even touchless washes rely on harsh chemicals. I don't want the swirls and paint flaws that come with auto car washes.

With that said, I would never presume to tell someone else how they should wash their car. If someone wants to machine wash and are OK with the results then so be it, go for it. It is all relative, maybe a $100k car is not the top of the line for them, perhaps for them the Jag is the daily beater of the group. Some might say the effort you and I put into keeping a pristine car is vain, silly, or a waste of time. I have friends with nice cars that look at the as a consumable item and treat it as such! When we go out and have drinks I make fun of them and they make fun of me.

So for those that buy an older XK or XKR for $25,000, can they treat it like a $25k car?

Old 10-27-2015, 07:15 PM

It was the first time I'd ever run it through the car wash, and the last time. I'd just finished hand washing and waxing my XJ and my hand was cramping from the wax application so I thought I'd take a shortcut with the XK. Won't make that mistake again.

Old 10-27-2015, 08:47 PM
Veteran Member

I'll run the car through a touch-less car wash maybe once a month if it got dirtier then a detail spray after a ride. I usually would get the cheapest wet, foam , rinse and spot free rinse. Then a blow dry and I'm on my way. When I get home I would use Mother's or eagle detail spray and put it to bed. Just do a carnuba wax every 3 months and when the 1st snow fall comes. Then I park it on the lift and put the cover on it until either the snow and salt are washed off or spring comes. I clay'ed when I bought it and it still feels good after a few wax jobs. It works for me. One of the problems where I live is I have well water which is pretty hard so we have a water softener which leaves spots as the car dries so I'm wetting and wiping to keep the spots clean.

Old 10-27-2015, 10:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I'll run the car through a touch-less car wash maybe once a month if it got dirtier then a detail spray after a ride. I usually would get the cheapest wet, foam , rinse and spot free rinse. Then a blow dry and I'm on my way. When I get home I would use Mother's or eagle detail spray and put it to bed. Just do a carnuba wax every 3 months and when the 1st snow fall comes. Then I park it on the lift and put the cover on it until either the snow and salt are washed off or spring comes. I clay'ed when I bought it and it still feels good after a few wax jobs. It works for me. One of the problems where I live is I have well water which is pretty hard so we have a water softener which leaves spots as the car dries so I'm wetting and wiping to keep the spots clean.
Jagtoes:

Try a "spot free" car wash like Rain-X or Duragloss Spot Free car wash. These products are great, low priced and takes very little product ( just few oz's per 3-gallon bucket). I use both in a foam sprayer hooked up to my garden hose.

Amazon.com: Rain-X 620034 Spot Free Car Wash - 48 fl. oz.: Automotive Amazon.com: Rain-X 620034 Spot Free Car Wash - 48 fl. oz.: Automotive

Amazon.com: Duragloss 901 Red Car Wash Concentrate - 16 oz.: Automotive Amazon.com: Duragloss 901 Red Car Wash Concentrate - 16 oz.: Automotive

Amazon.com : Bunnyk Foamaster II 95QGFMR 75QGFMR Foam Sprayer / Foam Gun : Foamaster By Gilmour : Patio, Lawn & Garden Amazon.com : Bunnyk Foamaster II 95QGFMR 75QGFMR Foam Sprayer / Foam Gun : Foamaster By Gilmour : Patio, Lawn & Garden

These are all great products and very affordable.

Throw the clay bar away and buy yourself a Nanoskin Fine Grade Wash mitt. The paint surface of your cars will be ultra smooth and ultra clean.

Amazon.com: Nanoskin (AS-016) AutoScrub Fine Grade Wash Mitt: Automotive Amazon.com: Nanoskin (AS-016) AutoScrub Fine Grade Wash Mitt: Automotive

You will be happy with all these items. Place your order now!

Old 10-28-2015, 08:14 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by richzak
Jagtoes:

Try a "spot free" car wash like Rain-X or Duragloss Spot Free car wash. These products are great, low priced and takes very little product ( just few oz's per 3-gallon bucket). I use both in a foam sprayer hooked up to my garden hose.

Amazon.com: Rain-X 620034 Spot Free Car Wash - 48 fl. oz.: Automotive

Amazon.com: Duragloss 901 Red Car Wash Concentrate - 16 oz.: Automotive

Amazon.com : Bunnyk Foamaster II 95QGFMR 75QGFMR Foam Sprayer / Foam Gun : Foamaster By Gilmour : Patio, Lawn & Garden

These are all great products and very affordable.

Throw the clay bar away and buy yourself a Nanoskin Fine Grade Wash mitt. The paint surface of your cars will be ultra smooth and ultra clean.

Amazon.com: Nanoskin (AS-016) AutoScrub Fine Grade Wash Mitt: Automotive

You will be happy with all these items. Place your order now!
I have the rain-x and it works better then the other brands but it still leaves water spots while drying. Now I usually blow off the water with my compressor and then dry with a microfiber towel but still some areas dry until I get to them. As I said hard water with iron and sulphur and a salt type of water softener causes the problem. The nanoskin looks good but I usually don't clay to much . The other thing is priorities and washing the cars falls behind family and my golf time .

Old 10-28-2015, 09:13 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by [B
jagtoes[/B];1337051]I have the rain-x and it works better then the other brands but it still leaves water spots while drying. Now I usually blow off the water with my compressor and then dry with a microfiber towel but still some areas dry until I get to them. As I said hard water with iron and sulphur and a salt type of water softener causes the problem. The nanoskin looks good but I usually don't clay to much . The other thing is priorities and washing the cars falls behind family and my golf time .
My cars are my kids and I don't play golf. Makes it easy for me.

Old 10-28-2015, 04:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

I'll leave the car dirty for as long as takes me to wash it gently by hand.

As towards what to do with mirror cover. Any pictures of your car? Chrome works great on some, but look hooky on others.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:29 PM
Old 10-28-2015, 09:31 PM

That's from before the mirror cover was damaged. The Chrome would look OK I think, but I think black is better. An '09 was recently for sale at my local dealership and it had Chrome and it wasn't bad. My parts/repair person is often suggesting the Chrome too (jag sells them as an option).

Old 10-28-2015, 11:50 PM
Veteran Member

That's from before the mirror cover was damaged. The Chrome would look OK I think, but I think black is better. An '09 was recently for sale at my local dealership and it had Chrome and it wasn't bad. My parts/repair person is often suggesting the Chrome too (jag sells them as an option).
Your Jaguar looks great, and the adding the chrome to the mirrors appears to be an easy fix at a relatively low cost.

FRGIII2014 (10-29-2015)
Old 10-29-2015, 06:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

I would go with Chrome mirrors and get the OEM chrome upper grill while at.

FRGIII2014 (10-29-2015)
Old 10-29-2015, 07:05 AM
Veteran Member

You might consider getting the chrome ones and if you don't like them get it wrapped with black. Best of both worlds.

FRGIII2014 (10-29-2015)
Old 10-29-2015, 08:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I have the rain-x and it works better then the other brands but it still leaves water spots while drying. Now I usually blow off the water with my compressor and then dry with a microfiber towel but still some areas dry until I get to them. As I said hard water with iron and sulphur and a salt type of water softener causes the problem. The nanoskin looks good but I usually don't clay to much . The other thing is priorities and washing the cars falls behind family and my golf time .

Having a silver car now has made my life much simpler! My previous car was a flat black BMW and water spots were my nemesis. Same issue, hard water stains, only with the added benefit of the Florida sun baking them into my paint.

My best way of avoiding this was to wash the car in sections, so I would completely wash and dry the front clip (hood and fenders) first. Since I have a convertible the top was not an issue, but that would be first if you have one. Then the trunk and rear quarter panels, then the doors and remaining side areas. You get some overspray but you can back off the water pressure to alleviate. Also, I have a Absorber and a bunch of microfiber towels.

Lastly, I use Adams Quick Detailer as a drying agent, works GREAT. After using the Absorber to get the major water off, then a spritz with the detail spray and wipe with the microfiber. I ended up with a spot free clean.

There are so many tricks and techniques, maybe you will come across one that works for you!

Quick Reply: Car Wash - Mirror Cover - need a new one.