XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Confused Navigator!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2022, 03:30 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Confused Navigator!

I've recently purchased a 2013 Jaguar XK coupe to replace my much-loved 1995 XJS. I've tried to input local navigation addresses for my area (Texas, USA) however, the existing "on-board" navigation system refused to recognise anything but its old territory which was NE USA!. I have a couple of questions:
1. is the existing data loaded into the navigation system localized (as in Eastern and Western USA) and if so how do I tell the nav system that I'm in a different state?
2. is the DVD-based navigation 2 disk set (no longer available from Jaguar) the same for XK and XF models?
3. assuming that the currently loaded DVDs are vintage 2013, are there later updates available?
4. surely some Forum Members with a set of later DVDs would not be averse to "leasing" them out to fellow Forum Members?
Driving around town holding my smartphone in one hand is an accident waiting to happen (particularly with the difference I've noticed between the XJS and the XK's horsepower!). Further, there seems no elegant way of mounting my smartphone in a convenient location without damaging the car's aesthetics so I'd rather make use of the onboard navigation system.
All and any comments are welcome. Thanks
chris

Old 06-15-2022, 03:59 PM
Received 292 Likes on 166 Posts

Austin as rapidly changing, is it not?

The simplest solution is a phone holder. All that I've seen are a compromise, at best.

Hope that someone has a better solution.

best regards, Bill

Old 06-15-2022, 08:14 PM

Bill..Austin sure is changing which makes vehicle navigation a necessity! Thanks for your reply which contained the same "sorry but" message.
Using Jaguar's "5-year life span" I'm hoping that some "sympathetic" Forum Member who has a set of the last DVDs issued with the 2014 model year will make them available for "lease or loan" which will at least provide for 2019 map updates.
As for phone holders, I've yet to find one that somehow can be attached in a line of sight without permanently disfiguring the elegant driver cockpit.
Cheers!
Chris

Old 06-15-2022, 08:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,239 Likes on 3,420 Posts

Your most accurate navigation will be from your cellphone. The Waze app has excellent real-time traffic.

If you still want to use your Jaguar navigation system, the most current maps are available from Volvo (not a typo). Both Eastern and Western USA are on a single disk. See my Post #67 in this thread for details:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...v-disc-191140/

Old 06-15-2022, 09:01 PM

Stuart..I agree that Waze or Google Maps would do the trick but my first attempt is to locate a set of the last Jaguar disks available. The thread you provided is now over 5 years old as far as I can tell. The much-mentioned Volvo DVD/CD 31489539 is apparently no longer available from Volvo and, although there are disks offered for sale, I'm having a hard time understanding why a savvy owner of the last known Jaguar set would not make them available for rent by other Forum Members. Am I missing something?

Old 06-15-2022, 11:19 PM
Received 120 Likes on 72 Posts

Nearly 3 years ownership and I have never used the antiquated build-in GPS. TBH I don't even know how to use it. I use google maps on my phone and pipe the audio though Bluetooth receiver to the speakers.

Last edited by XKRAU; 06-16-2022 at 12:26 AM.
Old 06-16-2022, 06:31 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ChrisTX
Stuart..I agree that Waze or Google Maps would do the trick but my first attempt is to locate a set of the last Jaguar disks available. The thread you provided is now over 5 years old as far as I can tell. The much-mentioned Volvo DVD/CD 31489539 is apparently no longer available from Volvo and, although there are disks offered for sale, I'm having a hard time understanding why a savvy owner of the last known Jaguar set would not make them available for rent by other Forum Members. Am I missing something?
Hi Chris,
Your Public Profile shows that you have a 2013 XK. If your car has the original set of nav discs, they're almost as good as you can get from Jaguar since their last maps were from 2014. Maps that are over 8 years old are risky to rely on for directions, especially if your wife is in the car!

So, if all you want the nav for is decoration, then any year set of OEM Jaguar discs will suffice. They are plentiful on Ebay. But if you need reliable, accurate directions, use Waze or a similar app.

Why would an X150 owner who has the final set of OEM Jaguar/Denso nav discs want to lend them out? They wouldn't be able to use their nav without the discs, and probably couldn't replace them.

And why do you want to rent someone else's nav disks? If you intend to copy them, then you may be conspiring to violate the copyright laws. See my Post #12 in this thread from 2013:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...dvd-me-101290/

Stuart

Trending Topics

Old 06-16-2022, 07:02 AM
Received 376 Likes on 249 Posts

Do a google search "Jaguar XK navigation" and you'll find plenty updated maps to buy!

Old 06-16-2022, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,303 Likes on 3,147 Posts

Newer VOLVO disks work, but you'll lose the British chick's voice.

Old 06-16-2022, 12:42 PM
GGG
Received 16,837 Likes on 12,182 Posts

I've recently purchased a 2013 Jaguar XK coupe to replace my much-loved 1995 XJS. I've tried to input local navigation addresses for my area (Texas, USA) however, the existing "on-board" navigation system refused to recognise anything but its old territory which was NE USA!. .....
..... I'm hoping that some "sympathetic" Forum Member who has a set of the last DVDs issued with the 2014 model year will make them available for "lease or loan" which will at least provide for 2019 map updates. .....
I'm mystified why a change of vehicle should result in you losing your former ability to find your way around Texas without SatNav.........

I also wonder why you are so obsessed with obtaining a 2014 DVD which will NOT provide "2019 map updates".

JLR never issued a later UK update for my 2014 XK. It's possible, but extremely unlikely they did issue later NavTeq updates for the US. The SatNav systems was almost immediately superseded and JLR lost all interest in map updates.The contract with NavTeq ended around 2018.

Graham

The following 3 users liked this post by GGG:
jahummer (06-17-2022), ralphwg (06-19-2022), Stuart S (06-16-2022)
Old 06-16-2022, 03:55 PM

Wow!! Thanks to all Forum Members for their comments and insight. From this Thread, I've gleaned the following:-
1. Your existing 2013-year disks are as good as it gets so, suck it up, lad! I mean, stupid me having decided that it was time to move along from the 1995 XJS V12 into "the latest and best" from Jaguar, only to realize that again, it's "so sorry but your (fill in the blank) is no longer available or supported. I do know my way around Texas but foolishly thought that sitting in those lovely XK seats would somehow transport me into the world of tough screen nirvana!
2 The onboard Jaguar navigation system will never match Google Maps or Waze (or Garmin or TomTom) so I'm now on the hunt to find the most "constructable" carrier for my Android smartphone for a replacement visual reference (not decoration). On that note, has anyone found a "tasteful" appliance that does not involve suction pads, spring-loaded clamps, stick-on dash candidates, or heads-up projection?
3. The "jagdroid" option is UK based and at £650 plus shipping the player to and from the USA doesn't appear economical.
C'est la vie!+

Old 06-16-2022, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member

Wow!! Thanks to all Forum Members for their comments and insight. From this Thread, I've gleaned the following:-
1. Your existing 2013-year disks are as good as it gets so, suck it up, lad! I mean, stupid me having decided that it was time to move along from the 1995 XJS V12 into "the latest and best" from Jaguar, only to realize that again, it's "so sorry but your (fill in the blank) is no longer available or supported. I do know my way around Texas but foolishly thought that sitting in those lovely XK seats would somehow transport me into the world of tough screen nirvana!
2 The onboard Jaguar navigation system will never match Google Maps or Waze (or Garmin or TomTom) so I'm now on the hunt to find the most "constructable" carrier for my Android smartphone for a replacement visual reference (not decoration). On that note, has anyone found a "tasteful" appliance that does not involve suction pads, spring-loaded clamps, stick-on dash candidates, or heads-up projection?
3. The "jagdroid" option is UK based and at £650 plus shipping the player to and from the USA doesn't appear economical.
C'est la vie!+
So, yeah, totally disregard what I said then.
Cool.

Old 06-16-2022, 06:37 PM

I didn't "totally disregard what (you) said. I just don't see any point in persuing a set of "Volvo" disks, particularly as they are no longer available from Volvo and I'm not sure eBay copies are of better value than what I already have. as for your "British chick's voice" comment... chacun à son goût!

Old 06-16-2022, 08:23 PM
Veteran Member

Whatever, man, you do you.
Vivir en el gueto por lo que me importa

Old 06-16-2022, 09:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,946 Likes on 1,309 Posts

So you can probably find the last Volvo disc somewhere, and while it will be 3-4 years newer than your current Jag discs, the Volvo disc will still be almost 6 years old, and they have no plan to update it:

Old 06-17-2022, 12:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,324 Likes on 1,460 Posts

Or you could fit a CarPlay or android based infotainment system and have all your favourite Nav Apps built in as some have done over the past couple of years.

Otherwise consider in the last 5-7 years, mobile tech’s evolved so rapidly, the automotive industry couldn’t keep up as it had in the past hence nearly all marques switching to CarPlay mirroring of mobile devices.

Old 06-17-2022, 07:48 AM
Veteran Member

I just ordered this cellphone holder from Amazon for when I'm using Waze for real-time traffic. It's only $3.69 delivered, and returnable if I don't like it. It's better than looking down at my phone in the cupholder.
http://Reiko Car Steering Wheel Phon...a.co/d/0K09xG4

Old 06-17-2022, 10:57 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,065 Likes on 753 Posts

deleted.

Last edited by guy; 06-17-2022 at 11:06 AM.
Old 06-20-2022, 06:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Get It!

[I've had really good luck wit a CD mounted magnetic cell phone holder. My 2008 XK Nav (with updated DVD) is too slow and annoying to use regularly and I need regular use, living in a relatively new place. Good luck. Chris!

QUOTE=ChrisTX;2535192]I've recently purchased a 2013 Jaguar XK coupe to replace my much-loved 1995 XJS. I've tried to input local navigation addresses for my area (Texas, USA) however, the existing "on-board" navigation system refused to recognise anything but its old territory which was NE USA!. I have a couple of questions:
1. is the existing data loaded into the navigation system localized (as in Eastern and Western USA) and if so how do I tell the nav system that I'm in a different state?
2. is the DVD-based navigation 2 disk set (no longer available from Jaguar) the same for XK and XF models?
3. assuming that the currently loaded DVDs are vintage 2013, are there later updates available?
4. surely some Forum Members with a set of later DVDs would not be averse to "leasing" them out to fellow Forum Members?
Driving around town holding my smartphone in one hand is an accident waiting to happen (particularly with the difference I've noticed between the XJS and the XK's horsepower!). Further, there seems no elegant way of mounting my smartphone in a convenient location without damaging the car's aesthetics so I'd rather make use of the onboard navigation system.
All and any comments are welcome. Thanks
chris[/QUOTE]

Old 06-21-2022, 11:29 AM
Received 80 Likes on 40 Posts

I use this

https://www.proclipusa.com/products/...xk-series-2007

I think it's a pretty elegant solution.

Quick Reply: Confused Navigator!