XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

convertible top any maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 08:00 AM
Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts
Default convertible top any maintenance

Been greatly enjoying my new (to me) XKR Vert.
Just wondering if there is any preventive maintenance/adjustments to the top or it's mechanism.

Old 07-16-2019, 08:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the 303 fabric top kit. Others use RaggTop. Either one is likely pretty good. One thing 303 provides is UV protection, not sure if Ragg Top does the same.

I also bought a brush specifically for convertible tops from Ragg Top, designed to clean the fabric without tearing the fibers.

The process is fairly straightforward -- clean first, allow to dry (I also blotted mine with a lint-free towel), then apply the protectant. Be sure to tape and cover your windows and paint before applying the protectant, since it is a usually in a spray bottle. Some folks use a brush, presumably a standard paint brush, to apply. I might try that next time.

Old 07-16-2019, 08:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 545 Likes on 364 Posts

I use 303 in bulk liquid and apply it liberally with a cut up wall paper sponge. No need to tape anythign off that way. After application (in shade) park it in the sun for 15 mins and your all set. My top is new but I still give it a coat each spring.

The following users liked this post:
SmoothOperator (07-16-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 09:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by yidal8
Been greatly enjoying my new (to me) XKR Vert.
Just wondering if there is any preventive maintenance/adjustments to the top or it's mechanism.
The intent of these cleaning products is to remove dirt and stains and to treat the top against UV and water saturation. So part of your answer depends on how you use the car. As an example I use my car for a week end cruiser and usually put around 2500 to 3000 miles a year. I also don't take the car out in the rain and usually wash it in a touchless car wash once a month. I now have 24,000 miles on the top and it still looks new. Does the water repel off , not so much. Is the top dirty or stained , no . If I were to use it on a daily basis or maybe 3-4 times a week I would treat the top. As for now I'm not inclined to use a cleaner but if I see a need I will. I expect to get maybe 15 years out of a top provided the window doesn't fall out. If it does I'll replace it and if it lasts for 15 years I might be to old to drive it so it will be passed on. Enjoy the ride.

Old 07-17-2019, 08:00 AM
Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
The intent of these cleaning products is to remove dirt and stains and to treat the top against UV and water saturation. So part of your answer depends on how you use the car. As an example I use my car for a week end cruiser and usually put around 2500 to 3000 miles a year. I also don't take the car out in the rain and usually wash it in a touchless car wash once a month. I now have 24,000 miles on the top and it still looks new. Does the water repel off , not so much. Is the top dirty or stained , no . If I were to use it on a daily basis or maybe 3-4 times a week I would treat the top. As for now I'm not inclined to use a cleaner but if I see a need I will. I expect to get maybe 15 years out of a top provided the window doesn't fall out. If it does I'll replace it and if it lasts for 15 years I might be to old to drive it so it will be passed on. Enjoy the ride.
What is a 'touchless car wash'?
I also use it in good weather, and with the top down as much as possible. I do however try to drive it some every (dry) day. Car is otherwise garaged with top up.

Old 07-17-2019, 08:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by yidal8
What is a 'touchless car wash'?
I also use it in good weather, and with the top down as much as possible. I do however try to drive it some every (dry) day. Car is otherwise garaged with top up.
Touch less is what it is. Nothing touches the car except the water/soap/rinse and spotless water finish. Then a blow dry and you're done. We have several in the area and because my car only gets dust I use spray detailer in between. If you have a very dirty car a touchless wash won't get it completely clean but if you only have slight dust/dirt like I have it does a super job. As fo non dried residual water after the wash I just wipe it off with a micro fiber towel.