XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Converting an '07's rear fog to a backup/reverse light

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 06:57 PM
Rey
Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts
Default Converting an '07's rear fog to a backup/reverse light

There have been complaints about the singular backup light/rear fog light combination on the '07-09 XK and XKR.
The U.S version has the fog on the driver's side (left). Forum members were wondering if the U.K. version also had the fog on the driver's side (right); and would it be possible to install a U.K. backup/reverse light (left side) on the left side of the US version in order to have two backup light?

The short answer is "yes". I bought a used left lamp from a U.K. breaker yard (www.hills-motor.co.uk) for about 100 pounds. I have tested the lamp and it is for sure a clear back up lamp. Haven't fitted it yet, but do not anticipate any great problems. It has a unique two-prong connection point, but the fog female connector can possibly work. At the worst I can hard wire the connection fairly easily.

For your interest the part number is 238 041-017 and/or 6W83 51250 BF. The part sticker says the supplier is Hella and it is "LH REV". It draws 3.2 watts.

The following 3 users liked this post by Rey:
britannia (01-23-2013), cft080 (01-24-2013), CleverName (01-22-2013)
Old 01-23-2013, 10:40 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

100 pounds seems a tid expensive for this mod. I was considering it a while ago. But i kind of like my terminator looking rear fog. it is very unique.

JAGUAR XK150 REVERSING LIGHT UNIT BRAND NEW | eBay

if anyone is looking for one for around $50 you might try this link

I personally am now debateing the 2010 LED upgrade.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

I, too, like my rear fog. Especially earlier this month in DC, we had a real bad streak of fog. It was so foggy at times that I couldn't see traffic signals a couple hundred feet ahead at night. These rear fog lamps are probably more important than the ones on the front!

Old 01-23-2013, 09:59 PM
Rey

We have some very heavy fog in OR. I "tested" my rear fog light in actual fog. It is a clever design. It is fairly bright, but it creates no miracle light.

The singular rear light is required in UK and drivers there are used to seeing these single lights. They are seldom seen in USA.

In my opinion, if you want to be seen in heavy fog use your hazard lights. USA drivers are used to seeing hazard flashers; and I use them whenever road conditions require speeds below minimums. A singular rear fog light, in my opinion, offers no material advantage over hazard flashers.

Opinions do differ; and that's why we have this forum. Enjoy your ride!

Old 01-24-2013, 02:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello, I don't like the 1 rear back up light and 1 rear fog light. ... Every time i'm backing in a parking spot.. some yells " u got a tail light out"... lol.. I'm like thanks it was made this way... then when i'm driving with the rear fog light on.. people blow their horn at me a say.... " hey ..you got a tail light out"... lol.. so I'm definitely going to buy a white reverse light to replace the red rear fog light. but the question now is... when i back up will i have to hit the rear fog light for it to come on....or will it come on automatically

Attached Thumbnails Converting an '07's rear fog to a backup/reverse light-imag0464.jpg  
Old 01-26-2013, 10:55 AM
Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts

Think about it! why would your new LH backup light come on without pushing the rear fog light button................and the headlights too, unless you change the wiring circuit.
So the answer is YES!
Using the 4 way flashers in fog is a great idea for the US.............

Cheers, Adrian

Old 01-26-2013, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Hummmm......
Now i'm thinking how cool it would be to convert both to backup lights, controlled by the rear fog switch, just to irritate those bast... er... buggers with glaring blue headlights behind me!
Yes, it would be illegal, but it is kinda fun to fantasize about getting even!

However if i take them both to red fogs...I'm legal!
-V

Old 01-26-2013, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by Rey
We have some very heavy fog in OR. I "tested" my rear fog light in actual fog. It is a clever design. It is fairly bright, but it creates no miracle light.

The singular rear light is required in UK and drivers there are used to seeing these single lights. They are seldom seen in USA.

In my opinion, if you want to be seen in heavy fog use your hazard lights. USA drivers are used to seeing hazard flashers; and I use them whenever road conditions require speeds below minimums. A singular rear fog light, in my opinion, offers no material advantage over hazard flashers.

Opinions do differ; and that's why we have this forum. Enjoy your ride!
I think using flashers can a bad idea in fog. You can confuse people--a lot of people may think you are a stopped car on the shoulder and get disoriented. Just something to think about!

Old 01-27-2013, 10:37 AM
Rey

I have completed the conversion. It's easy.
I suppose one could just plug the left reverse lite to the rear fog connector. They use identical connectors. Then the second reverse would illuminate only when the rear fog switch is engaged. To me this is a hassle.

I choose to use the rear fog connector and about 8 inches of the wire from that connector. Thus the rear fog wiring is now disconnected. It's just two wires with a bare termination, covered with a bit of tape for insulation. The dash switch for the rear fog still "works" in that it illuminates when engaged, but there are no trouble codes indicating a burned out LED.

The wiring for the rear reverse/fog lights is simple. The ground is a black/white wire. Positive is another two-color wire. I just connected ground/ positive wires from the new reverse light to old reverse light ground/positive. The additional 3watt draw from the new reverse light is easily accomodated by existing wiring

I have never liked the dumb-looking emergency trunk release on the trunk lid, which is required by USA law. So, when I had the cover off to access the lights, I taped the release pull to the metal and out of sight.

The following 2 users liked this post by Rey:
cft080 (01-27-2013), DenverDDS (01-29-2013)
Old 01-27-2013, 01:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hello,

congrats on completing the conversion.gonna search that link to buy the other reverse tail light and install it.

i think that emergency trunk release is hilarious ... the picture of the lil guy running away from an open trunk ... what did he do to get put in a trunk..lol..to funny to me... i laugh every time i see that.

there is another subscriber to jaguar forum who installed a ipod to his radio.. not sure if you saw that.. but that's also a conversion i'm going to make on my jag.. soon as the audio equipment gets here from amazon... here's the link to his jaguar forum thread..

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...s-labor-88619/

Attached Thumbnails Converting an '07's rear fog to a backup/reverse light-img_0329-2-.jpg  
Old 01-29-2013, 09:44 PM
Received 69 Likes on 13 Posts

I was just considering doing something about this minor annoyance. I have only owned my Jag for 2 months and have been told about 5 times that I have a back uo light out! This may be a dumb question but couldn't you just wire the fog light to the existing rear back up circuit. I assume it may draw too many amps??

Old 01-30-2013, 09:03 AM
Rey

You cannot just convert the rear fog to a reverse light by connecting the rear fog wires to the existing reverse light. Though appearing (unlit) the same as the reverse light, the rear fog has red LEDs.
I suppose it is technically possible to convert the red fog LEDs to clear LEDs, but it probably is not simple. At least it looked to me as though the LEDs are buried behind a circuit board.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:07 AM

Rey,
Well done; I suspect it is not a simple task to change the red LED's to white. The red LED's may look white when off but turn red when on; if this is true, then the circuit board has to be different (from the BU light) so as to change the LED temperature, to get red.
Prices of UK LH BUL's will probably go out of sight..............
My solution is don't park where you have to BU!!

Cheers, Adrian

Old 01-30-2013, 11:11 AM

Rey,
Wife said "what do you want for my Birthday in March?" So I just bought a LH new reverse light unit from UK and will ship to Grand-Daughter at RAF Lakenheath UK.
I will follow your scheme for wiring.............Thanks Old Chap

QED (quite easily done!!), Adrian

Old 01-30-2013, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by britannia
Rey,
Wife said "what do you want for my Birthday in March?"

QED (quite easily done!!), Adrian
So she is letting you get a gift for yourself on her birthday?

wow, she's a keeper!

Old 02-01-2013, 07:02 PM

Yes, she is a keeper! but my mistake, it's MY birthday! Been married 35 yrs and she drives a XK8 conv.
Before we got married she cleaned the windows of my house and lent me money to buy a Boat Trailer (smart Lady, charged me interest too).

Cheers, Adrian