Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

The coolant smell/loss saga continues

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 04:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts
Default The coolant smell/loss saga continues

I took my 2010 XK 5.0 with 9,000 miles to Jaguar today for the coolant smell I notice after most trips and the slight coolant loss that was recently observed. I have the Easy Care Gold extended warranty for 6 years. The car was pressurized and no loss of pressure was noticed as well as no coolant was seen or stains anywhere. I spoke with the shop foreman and asked to see the actual TSB for our water pumps. As I expected, even if there is any minor seepage or crusting around the pump from older seepage, this will not be the green light to replace the water pump according to the bulletin. The pump must be actively leaking and or the bearing must be making noise or wobbling to specifics noted in the bulletin. So where is my coolant going and why the smell? The shop foreman could not answer other than the possible seepage or weeping at the pump. I asked him to look to see if there is any evidence of this weeping which he checked with a mirror and flashlight while I was watching. Nothing at all was found. He said he would love to replace the pump but if it was sent out after removing and then inspected and had no faults, Jaguar would not be reimbersed for their labor or parts.(So he said) Well, at least I now have a paper trail and can always go to another dealer if it becomes necessary. Right now, with the very little driving I do, I ad a small cup every 3-500 miles. Other dealers may have different policies with possibly more flexibility, but I'm not going there at this time.

Old 01-06-2017, 05:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,894 Likes on 1,285 Posts

They pressure tested the system, but did they also pressure test the cap on the reservoir?

Old 01-06-2017, 05:36 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by kj07xk
They pressure tested the system, but did they also pressure test the cap on the reservoir?
I happened to request a new reservoir cap which I will be installing tomorrow once the coolant is cold. Have the caps been known to be defective? Thanks.

Old 01-06-2017, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member

Instead of beating around the bush... why doesn't Jaguar just replace my water pump with the the most recent updated version (C2Z31587) and make one customer less anxious driving a car without a temperature gauge?

Old 01-06-2017, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bocatrip
I happened to request a new reservoir cap which I will be installing tomorrow once the coolant is cold. Have the caps been known to be defective? Thanks.
Not that I'm aware of, but its always possible. I bought another one when I kept getting whiffs of coolant for a couple of months after I changed my thermostat & housing, thinking there must be a leak. I then bought a pressure tester and found no leaks. The whiffs have gone away, and I never replaced the cap (so now its a spare). There must have been some spilt coolant hiding somewhere up front after I had drained the system and replaced the parts. I could never find it, just smell it. It eventually went away, but took a long long time.

Old 01-06-2017, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

Bocatrip - It is Jaguar NA that makes the judgement on reimbursement for any parts that have or are failing when the car is under warranty extended or not. Suggest you call them and talk to a service rep and at a minimum get them to create a record. they may authorize a pump replacement, but my guess is they won't until your situation gets worse. My pump was replaced on my 12 vert with about 30k miles on the odometer.

The following users liked this post:
bocatrip (01-06-2017)
Old 01-06-2017, 07:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ralphwg
Bocatrip - It is Jaguar NA that makes the judgement on reimbursement for any parts that have or are failing when the car is under warranty extended or not. Suggest you call them and talk to a service rep and at a minimum get them to create a record. they may authorize a pump replacement, but my guess is they won't until your situation gets worse. My pump was replaced on my 12 vert with about 30k miles on the odometer.
Thanks Ralph.. I'm actually with you on this and expect it. Jaguar is a far cry from Lexus with customer relations. Planning on calling the service rep, but with the little miles I drive.. may not make a difference. still not going to buy into this brand in the future with such poor customer relations.. Definitely not Lexus.

Old 01-07-2017, 08:35 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Absolutely they fail with age. Lost one recently on my SUV.

Old 01-07-2017, 08:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by agentorange
Absolutely they fail with age. Lost one recently on my SUV.
. Thanks I'll give it a try.

Old 01-26-2017, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member

As the OP of the thread.......My local dealership never addressed my coolant loss and coolant smell, but only acknowledged that my car's coolant system held pressure (for 15 minutes) and there was no sign of leakage anywhere. If no loss why the smell and why am I adding?? The shop foreman did give me a copy of the TSB for the coolant pump diagnostics. It basically states that even if there is evidence of some coolant loss and or crusting at the water pump, replacement of the pump may not be warranted. I did call Jaguar of N/A with my issues to start a paper trail. It's sad that I have a car that has a known issue and the Manufacturer won't step up to the plate until there is a total failure of the part and possible engine damage. Whatever happened to "good will" especially when there is a known problem?

Old 01-26-2017, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member

The water pump problem for most 5.0 engines is a known issue for many owners of these cars.

Old 01-26-2017, 06:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

As the OP of the thread.......My local dealership never addressed my coolant loss and coolant smell, but only acknowledged that my car's coolant system held pressure (for 15 minutes) and there was no sign of leakage anywhere. If no loss why the smell and why am I adding?? The shop foreman did give me a copy of the TSB for the coolant pump diagnostics. It basically states that even if there is evidence of some coolant loss and or crusting at the water pump, replacement of the pump may not be warranted. I did call Jaguar of N/A with my issues to start a paper trail. It's sad that I have a car that has a known issue and the Manufacturer won't step up to the plate until there is a total failure of the part and possible engine damage. Whatever happened to "good will" especially when there is a known problem?
Did you buy the car new or used from this dealer. Do you get it serviced at this dealer. If so I would expect the dealer to have a little "good will" or customer service. As far as the mfg. stepping up maybe this is not a significant problem and they think it should be taken care of at a local level. As with any premature failure item the mfg needs to determine if this is a significant issue and they would determine that through dealer data and not a few people complaining on a few forms. So far there doesn't seem to be any credible data as to the WP faults. Is it 1 in 100 or 1000 or 10000 . What is the mfg crietra to consider it a reliability issue. You seem to have something going on that this dealer can't find which I find disturbing. Have you gone to either another dealer or a shop to get another opinion. It appears you don't seem to be getting any satisfaction from where you are taking the car. Continuing to brow beat the dealer will get you less co-operation. Try someone else and go back to the dealership with the results. Good luck.

bocatrip (01-27-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 08:21 AM
Veteran Member

Quick question......Is the cap on the coolant reservoir tank hand tightened until tight or tightened until the cap makes a clicking sound?

Old 01-27-2017, 09:05 AM
Veteran Member

Quick question......Is the cap on the coolant reservoir tank hand tightened until tight or tightened until the cap makes a clicking sound?
Tight. Don't think it clicks.

Old 01-27-2017, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Mine clicks on the 2012.

bocatrip (01-27-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 09:14 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Mine clicks on the 2012.
If you continue tightening it (even though it feels fairly tight) it will eventually click like s gas cap. However, at that point it feels loose. I'm not sure which way is proper.

Old 01-27-2017, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,168 Likes on 2,336 Posts

Call the dealership and have them confirm. Mine clicks.

bocatrip (01-27-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sean W
Call the dealership and have them confirm. Mine clicks.
Owner's manual says to tighten cap until you hear one click. Thanks everyone.

kj07xk (01-27-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Did you buy the car new or used from this dealer. Do you get it serviced at this dealer. If so I would expect the dealer to have a little "good will" or customer service. As far as the mfg. stepping up maybe this is not a significant problem and they think it should be taken care of at a local level. As with any premature failure item the mfg needs to determine if this is a significant issue and they would determine that through dealer data and not a few people complaining on a few forms. So far there doesn't seem to be any credible data as to the WP faults. Is it 1 in 100 or 1000 or 10000 . What is the mfg crietra to consider it a reliability issue. You seem to have something going on that this dealer can't find which I find disturbing. Have you gone to either another dealer or a shop to get another opinion. It appears you don't seem to be getting any satisfaction from where you are taking the car. Continuing to brow beat the dealer will get you less co-operation. Try someone else and go back to the dealership with the results. Good luck.
Thanks Jagtoes. I purchased my car over 3 years ago and have had it serviced at this very same dealership that I bought my Easy Care Gold extended warranty. Yes, I am planning on taking it to another dealership, but am hesitant taking it to and Indy shop regardless of their reputation. With regards to the number of water pumps affected, the XK pump is identical to the pump in the XF/XFR and numerous other models.Our XKs are not mass produced and not much info available from the few members of this forum. Below I am attaching a post from a member of the Jaguar XF/XFR forum dated July 2015 which I found interesting about XF water pump failures explaining the exact problem. Again our pumps used the same part numbers.
JoeyC

Water pump failure.
While this is an old thread, in response to your question about the water pump failure: I used to be a Jaguar technician and the 5.0L water pump was an extremely common failure. It was something we looked for on every 5.0L (naturally aspirated and supercharged) for both leaks and pulley failure. The issue was not design related, but rather manufacturer related. Both Jaguar and the manufacturer of the pump itself did everything they could to deny that there was a problem, but we continued to see very low mileage failures of these pumps on an almost weekly basis. They had an issue with the pulley bushing failing and causing the pump to leak out of the weephole behind the pulley, leaking coolant onto the belt and in more extreme cases slinging coolant off the belt as well. This also caused the pulley to wobble, and if left unchecked fall off. We had to replace a few engines because of this. Trust me, your tech knows what he's talking about and hopefully they've finally fixed the issue. Aside from that, the 5.0L is one hell of an engine.

jagtoes (01-27-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member

Owner's manual says to tighten cap until you hear one click. Thanks everyone.
My apologies, I stand corrected.