XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Coolant system pressure testing question

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 03:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts
Default Coolant system pressure testing question

I am the owner of a 2010 Jaguar XK Coupe 5.0 with 10,500 miles and the original water pump. Since my purchase 5 years ago, I get a coolant smell after driving the car and parking it. I can smell the coolant from the outside front area. I drive very little and would approximate adding after almost 1,000 miles maybe 5-6 ounces of coolant. I've had the car pressure tested by 2 Jaguar dealerships and my Independent shop, only to find no evidence of coolant loss at the weep hole of the water pump and no signs of leakage anywhere else or loss of pressure.. I've had 2 pressure tests, one over night not showing any loss of pressure. I have an extended warranty that expires in April 2020. I would like to be pro active and do my own pressure testing. What would you guys recommend as a good pressure tester for the 5.0 Jaguar XK naturally aspirated engine? Should the test be done at the reservoir or at the radiator cap? I assume it should be done when the engine is cold. Is the proper pressure to exert about 20lbs? Should I observe any drop in pressure over night? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

Old 06-27-2019, 04:08 PM
Received 153 Likes on 98 Posts

I bought a pressure tester from Amazon for around $80 so I could diagnose various leaks in the cooling system and to allow me to check everything was ok after replacing the water pump/plastic pipes etc. It worked great and I pumped the system up to 15lbs (engine cold) using the reservoir and just left it overnight. If you borrow a tester from the auto parts store then just check to make sure the seals etc. are good. You don't want to be chasing a cooling system problem that's not there.

Old 06-27-2019, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by TXFireblade
I bought a pressure tester from Amazon for around $80 so I could diagnose various leaks in the cooling system and to allow me to check everything was ok after replacing the water pump/plastic pipes etc. It worked great and I pumped the system up to 15lbs (engine cold) using the reservoir and just left it overnight. If you borrow a tester from the auto parts store then just check to make sure the seals etc. are good. You don't want to be chasing a cooling system problem that's not there.
Do you happen to know the brand of pressure tester or have a link to Amazon? Doesn’t the pressure tester have to fit the reservoir opening?

Old 06-27-2019, 06:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,164 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Boca, I'd try the local auto parts store first. They usually have them to rent for free. You get your deposit back when you return and they can show you how to put the right adapter on your reservoir. test it @ the reservoir cap, keep it 1 psi under the cap rating. Yes fine to do overnight. Add florescent dye to the reservoir first. it will be easier to spot the leak. Just be aware that the cap could also be the culprit.

I know you've had the smell for years but have you ever had to add coolant? If so, how often and how much?

Old 06-27-2019, 07:12 PM
Received 153 Likes on 98 Posts

This is the one I got but it was $85 back in 2017 but there are multiple alternatives available that all look pretty similar,

Amazon Amazon

It comes with multiple adapters. The orange one (I think) fits the XF reservoir just fine.

Old 06-27-2019, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Remember any air in the system will compress so I usually fill the tank to the top. I use 20 psi and let it sit overnight. You should not see more then a half psig . anything more will be a leak in the system.

Old 06-27-2019, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

I have had my car for 3 years and have the same issue, coolant smell at all times. I smell it when I am sitting at idle if windows down, when I get out after shutting off, pretty much like you say at the front of the car. I did have an "event" whereby a lower coolant hose ruptured a year and half back, but I find that to be completely unrelated as it smelled before, it smelled after, hose failed lost coolant then hose replaced no coolant loss.

While under warranty had it pressure tested 3 times at 2 different dealers. No leaks. The last time I strongly complained so my adviser left it under pressure for a much longer time, no leaks. I have watched the coolant, no loss. Now, don't care. I check it every once and a while and all is good. Not going to pressure test myself, if at some point I see coolant coming out I will address. Is what it is!

Old 06-27-2019, 08:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 526 Likes on 371 Posts

Every single Jag I've ever owned had the faint smell of coolant but with zero coolant loss. I've come to accept its a British thing.

Old 06-27-2019, 09:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by XJ8JR
Every single Jag I've ever owned had the faint smell of coolant but with zero coolant loss. I've come to accept its a British thing.
I’d be ok with just a coolant smell but I have a coolant loss. Small but still a loss.