Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

CPO Jaguar Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 01:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts
Default CPO Jaguar Warranty

Is a CPO Jaguar's warranty identical to the factory 4 year warranty? I'm assuming that it basically extends the factory warranty for an additional 2 years but wanted to know definitively if it covers everything the original factory warranty covers? Thanks all.

Last edited by GGG; 11-19-2013 at 03:24 AM. Reason: edit thread title so it appears in searches
Old 11-14-2013, 01:42 PM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

I do love the small print.

CPO Jaguar Warranty-jaguar-cpo.jpg

(click on the image to enlarge it)

Using 95% of the page 'real estate' to talk up the benefits the CPO, the reality is hidden in the lower right hand corner. (the red arrow I've added)

"See you local authorised Jaguar Retailer for complete terms and conditions of the limited warranty and service coverage"

The important word here is "limited". I'd be reading that document from the authorised Jaguar Retailer very closely!

Graham

Old 11-14-2013, 02:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,145 Likes on 3,385 Posts

Originally Posted by bocatrip
Is a CPO Jaguar's warranty identical to the factory 4 year warranty? I'm assuming that it basically extends the factory warranty for an additional 2 years but wanted to know definitively if it covers everything the original factory warranty covers? Thanks all.
bocatrip,

The CPO warranty is a legally binding contract, with exclusions and limitations. You have to read it carefully to understand exactly what is not covered. You can not rely on anything a salesperson has told you.

You stated: "I'm assuming that it basically extends the factory warranty.." You know what happens when you assume anything... ***:U:ME makes an *** out of you and me.

I haven't read it, but doubt that the Jaguar CPO warranty is exactly what you assume it to be.

Stuart

Old 11-14-2013, 03:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 86 Posts

I believe you will find it comparable to the aftermarket extended warranties. It's just Jaguar's version meant to cash in with all the others.

Old 11-14-2013, 03:41 PM
Veteran Member

Have there been members complaining about denied claims? Is there an actual copy of CPO coverage that Jaguar can provide?

Old 11-14-2013, 07:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Yes. I was denied plenty of things. The biggest thing is the dealer passing things off as normal.

I was told that the clicking sound I kept complaining about was the brake pads while I was still under CPO warranty. Turns out it was a rear axle, which I had replaced after warranty for $1200 (at an independent shop, I imagine the dealer would've charged me $2000+).

That being said, I did have a couple minor things replaced under warranty. The oil filler neck was replaced, and so was the turn signal stalk. Woohoo...

Apparently I have an airbag issue, but the CPO warranty does not cover SRS and I haven't bothered to do anything about it yet.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Yes. I was denied plenty of things. The biggest thing is the dealer passing things off as normal.

I was told that the clicking sound I kept complaining about was the brake pads while I was still under CPO warranty. Turns out it was a rear axle, which I had replaced after warranty for $1200 (at an independent shop, I imagine the dealer would've charged me $2000+).

That being said, I did have a couple minor things replaced under warranty. The oil filler neck was replaced, and so was the turn signal stalk. Woohoo...

Apparently I have an airbag issue, but the CPO warranty does not cover SRS and I haven't bothered to do anything about it yet.

How many miles on your XK? Once the factory warranty is over, it's a toss up between a CPO car or a 3rd party warranty. Either one is expensive and has loopholes. What is one to do? It's a crap shoot. Owning a Jaguar without a warranty can be an expensive proposition.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:03 PM
Veteran Member

Just a hair under 60k miles. I got it with about 55k miles on it.

Owning a Jaguar without a warranty is an expensive proposition. But owning a Jaguar WITH a warranty can be just as expensive, especially when the dealer refuses to honor the warranty for things that should be covered.

I have zero faith in my local Jaguar dealers. If you feel you can trust your local dealer, I think the Select Edition warranty can bring your peace of mind. If not, it's useless.

Old 11-16-2013, 07:21 AM
Veteran Member

FYI, I had an airbag issue. Warning light went on when I first started and pulled out of the drive. This is not uncommon. It 's a problem in the steering wheel. I had it fixed by an independent mechanic who specializes in Jaguars. It cost me $350. In Jaguar dealer dollars, that's about $1000.

Old 11-16-2013, 07:23 AM
Veteran Member

One more point about warranties. I beleive with theCPO, you have to go to the JAguar dealer. With some of the others, you can choose the mechanic. Something to think about.

Old 11-16-2013, 08:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

A few things to think about CPO automobiles and warranties. here's an article I recently read:

With the rise in popularity of certified used or "certified pre-owned" vehicles, many used car ads seem to tout the "certified" name without really living up to the promise of a car that is backed by the manufacturer with an impressive warranty and top-notch dealership experience. One typical scenario is that a used car dealer will advertise a car as "certified" and then sell the customer an extended warranty at an additional cost. There's nothing really wrong with that, but it is important to point out that a customer who buys an extended warranty is not buying a true certified pre-owned vehicle. Certified pre-owned vehicles must pass a rigorous inspection (determined by the manufacturer) and meet strict limits in terms of mileage and condition. On the other hand, an extended or aftermarket warranty can be purchased for virtually any car. While there are no guarantees in life, buying a certified pre-owned car can seriously lessen the risk inherent in buying a used car.

The terms "extended warranty" and "aftermarket warranty" are actually misnomers, since, in the strictest sense of the word, these aren't warranties at all. Like warranties, they cover repairs and/or regular maintenance for an agreed-upon period of time. However, true warranties are included in the price of the product; extended warranties are really "service contracts," since they cost extra and are sold separately.

A service contract can be purchased at the time you buy your vehicle, though it's also possible to purchase one much further along in your ownership experience. If you're the type who likes to be prepared for all eventualities, an extended warranty may be just what you're looking for. But keep in mind that an extended warranty or service contract is only meant as an insurance policy and may not be as convenient as purchasing a certified pre-owned car that is already in good condition.

Here are some things to keep in mind when considering purchasing an extended service contract:

To what extent is your vehicle already under warranty, and is this coverage in sync with how long you anticipate owning it?
If the car you've just bought is new, take a close look at its factory warranty before making an extended service contract decision. If, for example, the vehicle has a factory warranty of four years or 50,000 miles (typical for many luxury brands), and you plan on keeping it for two or three years — with an anticipated annual mileage of 12,000 to 15,000 — then an extended warranty makes little sense, since you'll be covered under the manufacturer's plan. However, if you plan on keeping the car long after the factory warranty expires, an extended warranty is worth considering. If the car you've just purchased is used, you'll need to find out if there is warranty coverage from the dealership (coverage periods may range from as little as a month to up to a year, or more). If you're buying a late-model used vehicle, it's possible that the vehicle's original factory warranty is still in effect. Certified pre-owned programs offer the remainder of the original warranty, and then add extra coverage once the factory warranty runs out. With a certified used car, your car will continue to be covered by the manufacturer of the car — you will not have to do anything different after the original warranty runs out and the certified warranty begins.

What's the reliability record of the model you're purchasing?
Take a look at the reliability history of the model you're buying. Though this is by no means a fail-safe way of predicting what your future repair bills will look like, it does give you an idea of what you may be in for service-wise. Bear this information in mind when making a warranty decision. Again this is where a certified pre-owned car is really worth considering, as cars that are deemed unacceptable risks are simply not allowed to receive the "certified" seal of approval.

Who is behind the warranty that you're considering?
An extended service contract may be backed by an independent company or by the covered vehicle's manufacturer. Knowing who will be underwriting your policy can give you insight into the strengths and weaknesses of the contract you're considering. Manufacturer-backed warranties score very highly when it comes to ease of use. However, aftermarket warranties are often cheaper. Purchasing a certified pre-owned vehicle is an easy way to get around this decision — you can be sure the vehicle's manufacturer stands behind the car and the cost of additional factory warranty coverage is built right into the purchase price.

Is there a deductible?
Make sure that you fully investigate an extended warranty program's deductible before signing on the dotted line. Consider not only its amount, but also whether it's "per visit" or "per repair." With a "per visit" deductible, each visit to the shop will run you a fixed amount, regardless of how many parts are repaired. A "per repair" deductible applies to each serviced part. What sounds like a minor difference may, under certain circumstances, have a major impact on your wallet. If, for example, you've got a $100-per-repair deductible and you take your car in to get the air conditioner, fuel pump and alternator serviced, you'll be out $300; had you opted for a "per visit" deductible, those repairs would only have cost you $100. This differs vastly from certified used programs that typically have no deductible for repairs made under the extended factory warranty coverage. Brands like Audi and BMW do have a deductible, but at just $50, it will hardly be the financial burden an extended service contract can be.

What exactly is covered?
Know what's covered — and what's not covered — by the warranty you're considering. Does the contract cover breakdown as well as wear and tear? Under a "breakdown" warranty, coverage is extended only to parts that break. Such a policy can prove less inclusive than is desirable, since not all parts fail due to breakage. Some need to be replaced because they've worn down over a period of time; a "wear-and-tear" warranty extends coverage to worn-down parts in need of replacement. Additionally, some "entry-level" contracts don't cover antilock brakes (ABS), so if your vehicle has this feature, you should consider upgrading to this level. Finally, overheating — regardless of its cause — isn't covered by many extended warranties. Thus, if overheating occurred due to problems with an expensive part like your radiator, you'd be stuck with a hefty repair bill. Before committing to a warranty, take the time to fully explore the ins and outs of its coverage implications. The distinctions between the various plans might seem slight, but they can prove quite important.

Is a cash layout required for repairs?
Some extended service contracts require that you pay the bill, then send the receipt in and wait for reimbursement; in many cases, months elapse before you get your money back. Ideally, you'll want a warranty that pays the dealership directly with a credit card. Certified pre-owned programs come with an actual factory warranty, and you'll be out only the dollar amount of the deductible (if there is one). Most certified pre-owned programs allow for you to take your car to any factory-authorized dealership for your brand of car.

Out-of-town expenses.
Many certified pre-owned programs, such as those from Ford, Dodge, Lexus and Volvo, offer reimbursement for costs incurred as a result of a breakdown when you are away from home. Things such as hotel rooms, rental cars and even meals are covered under many certified pre-owned programs. Additionally, some services offer trip routing services similar to what is offered by AAA to its members.
The bottom line is that purchasing an extended service contract is not the same thing as a certified pre-owned vehicle. Certified pre-owned cars must pass inspections and meet mileage limits, whereas an extended service contract can be purchased at an additional cost for virtually any vehicle regardless of condition or mileage.
Also, take into account the recent demise of some extended service contract providers, and it's easy to see why buying a certified used car instead of a regular used car makes a lot of financial sense. Many extended service contract customers have been left out in the cold when the contract provider goes out of business, leaving them with a broken car and no way to pay for it. Plus, they are out the original purchase price of the service contract, which can often be more than $1,000.

Of course, all cars — even the certified pre-owned variety — will require an increasing number of repairs as they age, but you can bet that companies like Toyota and General Motors will not be going out of business in the near future. And because they want you to be a repeat customer, they have much more of a vested interest in keeping you happy.

The following users liked this post:
pk4144 (03-23-2018)
Old 11-16-2013, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by chazaroo
FYI, I had an airbag issue. Warning light went on when I first started and pulled out of the drive. This is not uncommon. It 's a problem in the steering wheel. I had it fixed by an independent mechanic who specializes in Jaguars. It cost me $350. In Jaguar dealer dollars, that's about $1000.
Well I'm not sure if mine is an airbag issue. There is a squeaking in the steering wheel when it is turned. IMO, I think this would indicate clockspring. However, the dealer "diagnosed" it as a faulty airbag and wanted to charge $600.

Old 11-16-2013, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member

Well I'm not sure if mine is an airbag issue. There is a squeaking in the steering wheel when it is turned. IMO, I think this would indicate clockspring. However, the dealer "diagnosed" it as a faulty airbag and wanted to charge $600.
I'd go for a second opinion on that.

Old 11-16-2013, 03:29 PM
Veteran Member

Certified cars generally cost considerable more than a low mileage non certified car ( still under factory warranty) that will require an extended warranty. Certified cars will give you 2 years at a premium while a well maintained low mileage car can get a 5-8 years warranty in lieu of the CPO car's extra cost. I'll agree that the CPO car might be any easier road to travel when repairs are needed, but 2 years can go by quickly and for those who plan on keeping their cars, the "better" extended warranties can save an owner a bundle. By the way, I have been hearing good things about Easy Care Total Care Gold. Also has gotten an A+ Better Business Bureau rating.

Last edited by bocatrip; 11-16-2013 at 11:14 PM.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Is a CPO Jaguar's warranty identical to the factory 4 year warranty?
Not at all.

My advice is to put 3K on a pre-paid Amex card when you buy your XK and use that to pay for non-scheduled repairs. By the time you move on to the next car, you'll still have money on the card. You would be doing the same as the warranty companies are doing.

Last edited by mosesbotbol; 11-16-2013 at 06:12 PM.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Not at all.

My advice is to put 3K on a pre-paid Amex card when you buy your XK and use that to pay for non-scheduled repairs. By the time you move on to the next car, you'll still have money on the card. You would be doing the same as the warranty companies are doing.

Excellent idea. Excellent.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Not at all.

To me this sounds like encouraging news making the XK look like a fairly reliable car.

Old 03-21-2018, 08:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought my car used - it was sold as a cpo with 8K miles on it - the nice thing about the Jaguar CPO, well okay two nice things- 7 years / 100K miles and fully transferable. I am still under the basic warranty, but at least I know I am somewhat covered for the next 50K.

Old 03-21-2018, 10:23 PM
Received 231 Likes on 105 Posts

I negotiated an aftermarket warranty as part of the deal on my car, and I can't imagine a CPO warranty being any better. In fact, I wonder if there's more fight from Jaguar on claims against a CPO warranty. In one year, I've recouped almost $3k of the roughly $4k that the warranty cost, and both dealers I've taken my car to have had zero resistance in getting claims approved for replacing my car's water pump, fuel evaporator, and TPMS module. I'm really hoping all of the common issues have now been sorted out so I don't actually max out the value of the warranty, but it's been fantastic so far.

Last edited by Simon Tan; 03-21-2018 at 10:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
pk4144 (03-23-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 10:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Knock on wood I have not had to use any warranty cpo or original so far..I am fast approching my 50K so any claim after that will be CPO - if I run into issues I will let EVERYONE know lol..

Quick Reply: CPO Jaguar Warranty