XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Cracked infotainment screen... repair?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 10:47 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Cracked infotainment screen... repair?

Of the few cars available in the Northwest, there is a beautiful '10 XK in Portland for a steal. The catch? Well... the infotainment screen is cracked. Jaguar confirms this is a $3,300 fix and a few hundred in labor for good measure. The dealer says the actual pixels of the screen aren't damaged, just the plastic in front. I know that it would drive me up a wall, personally. Absolutely everything about the car is in great condition. The car is priced very competitively against nation wide comparables.

2010 XK 40k miles, fairly stock, told me they'd take 32k.

Questions;

1. I hear you can order a fairly cheap screen that works with the OEM system from China that is highly unreliable - anyone know anything more about this?

2. Any hacky ways you can think of to repair this myself?

Old 10-11-2014, 12:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

I would hold out for better answers than mine, but dont forget I gave you a CD that has parts breakdown and jobber prices on many of these parts. The display itself looks to be less than a grand. Installing and programming may be another issue all together...

Old 10-11-2014, 03:35 AM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

It won't be the screen that drives you up the wall, it will be the system itself.

Old 10-11-2014, 08:38 AM
Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

It sounds like to me that for $32,000 you could pay $3,000 and still have a great deal, if everything else is what you want.
Jim

Old 10-11-2014, 10:16 AM

Vince - I totally forgot about that. I haven't even opened up the bag from that day. It still hurts.

Muddy - It sounded like the Jaguar dealership quoted about 2 hours of labor to install it, you would think they would do all the programming as well? If I got a 3rd party to install for half the price, I could ask Jaguar to program it?

LstFord - It's something I'm kicking around. Rahtok rhetorically asked "How do you BREAK the screen?" and while thinking about it, I couldn't come up with much. He suggested the car may not have been taken care of. 36k (car+infotainment and install as it sits) is ~ the bluebook value. Trying to find some place where I can get out the door a bit under bluebook. And I'm still lookin.

Old 10-11-2014, 11:46 AM
Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

LoudinSeattle,
I spent about 6 months finding the car I wanted and trying to find the right price. I feel I got lucky. The problem for me was finding the colors I wanted in a XKR convertable with the light interior. If everything else is what you are looking for and the vehicle checks out in the history reports its hard to pass up especialy if it local and you can look at the car. I had mine shipped to me.
Jim

Old 10-11-2014, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Muddydog
It won't be the screen that drives you up the wall, it will be the system itself.
truth!

Originally Posted by LoudInSeattle
Vince - I totally forgot about that. I haven't even opened up the bag from that day. It still hurts.
Well, there is a parts breakdown and service manual on there for up to 2010 cars. Kinda handy for those working outside the warranty.
When looking at the service manual, pulling the console is time consuming, but spelt out clearly. Might be a DIY if you have a warm garage and time....

V

Last edited by CleverName; 10-11-2014 at 12:48 PM.
Old 10-11-2014, 12:55 PM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

Dun do it. If it needs fixing, get it fixed right. At the end of it, prices for these are expensive due to the low production numbers.

I also don't like the fact that it's cracked in the first place.

I did see a pair of XKRs at Park Place when I was wandering around there yesterday. But they're a bit more. One only had 4k miles on it though, and I think it was a 10.

Old 10-12-2014, 01:18 AM

Rahtok - I saw the '10 XKRs... Beautiful cars. David K is my guy there - I bought the '08 XK from him. About 20k out of my price range... But beautiful cars nonetheless. I think I'm going to pass on the cracked screen car.

Old 10-12-2014, 12:03 PM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

Why did you pass on it? Im not saying that's a bad thing. Ponying up 10% in repairs in addition to the price of the car is significant.

I would look for minor things, too. I passed on a car with a few borken fasteners not because they wouldn't be an easy fix, but because the only way one breaks those fasteners world have been to act indelicately in the first place. Even then, it's cheap. Why didn't they fix them? Answer: They didn't care.

A cracked screen might be different. If that happened to me and they told me it was going to cost 3K to fix it but I was thinking of moving on anyway, I might consider trading the car in and letting the next guy take care of it. So maybe that's not a sign of worse things to come. But it's still expensive for the next owner right up front and could mean the first two weeks of ownership is spent on a dealer-holiday.

You won't be disappointed with the XKR over the newer XK. As much as I like my five litre engine rumble I think you'll like your performance better. I forgot to mention the R has active differential control, which as I understand it allows the traction control to isolate the rear wheels individually.

Rahtok, I looked that 4000 mile 2010 XKR up on the website. What a deal! But then I saw that it was lacking the wood grain accents Deal breaker for me. I guess we see where my priorities lie

Old 10-12-2014, 01:05 PM
Veteran Member

But then I saw that it was lacking the wood grain accents Deal breaker for me. I guess we see where my priorities lie
Funny how the little things matter to a individual! I still instantly look for the adaptive cruse... Not there? .....I move on without a backwards glance!

Old 10-12-2014, 02:06 PM

Why did you pass on it? Im not saying that's a bad thing. Ponying up 10% in repairs in addition to the price of the car is significant.
Bottom line was 32k.. another 4k on top... time in the shop.. Just don't feel like it's a good investment. How do you crack the screen like that?? How on earth could that even happen? I couldn't think of one scenario where that could have happened. I believe the dealership bought the car at auction and the broken screen was a surprise to them. I made a fair offer on the car, and they turned it down. I think I'll be happier with the XKR. The 5 liter is by all means great, but I do like the giant calipers and hood vents on the XKR. The whine of the supercharger doesn't hurt my feelings either.

Old 10-12-2014, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by CleverName
Funny how the little things matter to a individual! I still instantly look for the adaptive cruse... Not there? .....I move on without a backwards glance!
Funny you mentioned that - I've had my eyes peeled for the technology pack/adaptive cruise and haven't seen much. Appears to be fairly rare. I would love the adaptive cruise - but I don't do enough freeway driving to ever use it.

Old 10-12-2014, 11:15 PM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

In the FWIW dept - while the unit itself is proprietary, the LCD screens used in these are most likely a fairly common or even standard part at the component level - trick would be finding out who made the screen, which would require removing and disassembling the unit. As an example - replacement LCD touch screens for 7" android tablets cost about $40 brand new.

Old 10-12-2014, 11:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by LoudInSeattle
Funny you mentioned that - I've had my eyes peeled for the technology pack/adaptive cruise and haven't seen much. Appears to be fairly rare. I would love the adaptive cruise - but I don't do enough freeway driving to ever use it.
Tech package does not include the adaptive cruse, but I think it does include the adaptive headlights.

I haven't hit the 3 year mark yet and have 40K of weekend drives on my car so far....
Both are a must have for me now....

Old 10-14-2014, 02:59 PM
Received 442 Likes on 185 Posts

I vote for finding one out of a wreck. Probably find the whole she-bang cheaper than trying to do just the screen.

Old 10-14-2014, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts