XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Crazy depreciation of XKR-S

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 12:50 PM
Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Crazy depreciation of XKR-S

I have bought and sold quite a few cars over the years and have normally done pretty well. When I bought my Xkr-s new in 2012 the car was in high demand and a few months earlier, dealerships in SO CAL were selling them for over msrp. I thought that since the Xkr-s was limited production, in high demand, and a great all around car with excellent reviews, it would hold it's value well. Guess I was wrong! I listed my White RS last week $82k, then dropped the price to $80k and have still not sold the car (I usually sell my cars in the first wk). My car is flawless and has warranty until 2018, so I thought it would go fairly quickly, especially in the area where I live. I have dropped the price to $77k, so hopefully that will get the job done! It must be that the market is much smaller for these jags and the brand must still have a lingering bad reputation compared to other brands, such as porsche, that contribute to the depreciation. Anyway, just venting and wanted to know others thoughts. Let me know if anyone is interested in my car.

Old 12-19-2014, 02:02 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

Saw that and was surprised at the price drop. Did you happen to see there's one listed locally here in S. Cal, the guy is asking $102K hehehe

Old 12-19-2014, 04:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by Octurbo
I have bought and sold quite a few cars over the years and have normally done pretty well. When I bought my Xkr-s new in 2012 the car was in high demand and a few months earlier, dealerships in SO CAL were selling them for over msrp. I thought that since the Xkr-s was limited production, in high demand, and a great all around car with excellent reviews, it would hold it's value well. Guess I was wrong! I listed my White RS last week $82k, then dropped the price to $80k and have still not sold the car (I usually sell my cars in the first wk). My car is flawless and has warranty until 2018, so I thought it would go fairly quickly, especially in the area where I live. I have dropped the price to $77k, so hopefully that will get the job done! It must be that the market is much smaller for these jags and the brand must still have a lingering bad reputation compared to other brands, such as porsche, that contribute to the depreciation. Anyway, just venting and wanted to know others thoughts. Let me know if anyone is interested in my car.

Do you have low mileage?

Old 12-19-2014, 05:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

Be patient. The market for XKR is a special one, the S more so. Do price out your car on "car gurus" or some such service.

Old 12-19-2014, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by bocatrip
Do you have low mileage?
21k, so higher than most. However, I'm original owner, it's in near perfect condition, has brand new Michelin pilot super sport tires, and has an extended warranty til 2018. In addition,it just passed a jag multi point inspection with no issues including only minimal wear on brakes. For these reasons I think it stacks up really well compared to other RS's on the market

Last edited by Octurbo; 12-19-2014 at 05:26 PM.
Old 12-19-2014, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by tarhealcracker
Be patient. The market for XKR is a special one, the S more so. Do price out your car on "car gurus" or some such service.
Yes, I went on car gurus. I did lower my price to $77k, which they consider a good deal. My car also has an EASY Care total care extended warranty, which most don't have (at least a $3k value)

Old 12-19-2014, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Leeper
Saw that and was surprised at the price drop. Did you happen to see there's one listed locally here in S. Cal, the guy is asking $102K hehehe
That's priced $25k more than mine!

Old 12-19-2014, 09:00 PM
Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

I think trading in is probably the best option. There some serious deals to be found out there. Here is a recent example of a white one with only 3500 miles that was listed on eBay...

Jaguar XKR XKR S | eBay

Good luck with your sell. Don't give it away. I think the prices will probably stabilize a little over time.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by hdavidson
I think trading in is probably the best option. There some serious deals to be found out there. Here is a recent example of a white one with only 3500 miles that was listed on eBay...

Good luck with your sell. Don't give it away. I think the prices will probably stabilize a little over time.
Agree totally on the trade, ...if... your going to buy something else. Because of the value or price, trading the car makes the most sense to save on future sales tax, especially since your a California resident and CA has such a high tax on vehicles.

But then again, we don't know if your seeking a more expensive car......don't know why the sale of the XKR-S. Don't know if your upside down on a loan.

There are many variables.

I agree, stick to a reasonable price point that is somewhere in between trade value and retail. Problem is there are plenty of very nice sports cars out there to choose from. Jaguar has a limited audience.

I just ordered a new 2015 Corvette C7 paying $55,183.83 and am getting the car built for me the way I want, and the new C7 is quite an amazing ride.

Competition is stiff for these types of cars.

Why are you selling it? Perhaps you can provide some insight and forum members might be able to provide some insight in return. We are a good source for information and especially opinions, whether you might like them or not.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

I think the sales tax benefit only works in certain states. I believe in Virginia, you still pay the sales tax on the whole car that you're purchasing. I wonder how it is in the OP's state.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by richzak
Agree totally on the trade, ...if... your going to buy something else. Because of the value or price, trading the car makes the most sense to save on future sales tax, especially since your a California resident and CA has such a high tax on vehicles.

But then again, we don't know if your seeking a more expensive car......don't know why the sale of the XKR-S. Don't know if your upside down on a loan.

There are many variables.

I agree, stick to a reasonable price point that is somewhere in between trade value and retail. Problem is there are plenty of very nice sports cars out there to choose from. Jaguar has a limited audience.

I just ordered a new 2015 Corvette C7 paying $55,183.83 and am getting the car built for me the way I want, and the new C7 is quite an amazing ride.

Competition is stiff for these types of cars.

Why are you selling it? Perhaps you can provide some insight and forum members might be able to provide some insight in return. We are a good source for information and especially opinions, whether you might like them or not.
I am selling my car, because I had the opportunity to order a buildable 2015 porsche gt3. I got one of the last allocations in the USA. I was planing on ordering one of these cars in a year or 2, but porsche announced that they are finishing production now - just MY 2014-2015 - about 1400 cars total to the USA. I really like my jag, I just felt I should take this opportunity after going on a test drive in one of these. It was the most engaging, visceral car I have ever driven and I have driven many cars over the years - ferraris, lambo's, porsche's, etc. It was Evo car of the year last yr and it just won road and track performance car of the year. The car I built came to msrp of $140k (I'm not paying over msrp like some) and it arrives in march.
In CA, you don't get any tax advantage by trading in your car, so that doesn't make sense. So I would like to sell my car by mid feb, but sooner the better. I also have the option of putting my car on consignment at a local exotic dealership (charge 5% of sale), so the car gets more exposure and they can offer financing/ leasing.
I wonder if listing the car just before Xmas was a bad idea. Maybe the market will be better come the new year. Any other thoughts?

Old 12-20-2014, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

I am selling my car, because I had the opportunity to order a buildable 2015 porsche gt3. I got one of the last allocations in the USA. I was planing on ordering one of these cars in a year or 2, but porsche announced that they are finishing production now - just MY 2014-2015 - about 1400 cars total to the USA. I really like my jag, I just felt I should take this opportunity after going on a test drive in one of these. It was the most engaging, visceral car I have ever driven and I have driven many cars over the years - ferraris, lambo's, porsche's, etc. It was Evo car of the year last yr and it just won road and track performance car of the year. The car I built came to msrp of $140k (I'm not paying over msrp like some) and it arrives in march.
In CA, you don't get any tax advantage by trading in your car, so that doesn't make sense. So I would like to sell my car by mid feb, but sooner the better. I also have the option of putting my car on consignment at a local exotic dealership (charge 5% of sale), so the car gets more exposure and they can offer financing/ leasing.
I wonder if listing the car just before Xmas was a bad idea. Maybe the market will be better come the new year. Any other thoughts?
It seems to me that depreciation takes a big hit in January because now the year changes and everything looks a model year older to buyers.

This sounds dumb, but have you thought of taking it to CarMax and see what they'd offer? You may be surprised.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member

Sounds like you have a plan of attack, are well organized, know what you want for a replacement vehicle. The Porsche GT3 sounds fantastic. I think you just have to be patient with the sale of the XKR-S. Market the car as much as you can, consider eBay listing, Autotrader listing etc., list on the Jaguar Forums etc. Eventually a buyer will come along.

Sounds like you know what you are doing, you just need a buyer to fillful the Porsche purchase.

I am sure that you sell it. Thanks for the reply. I am sure others will chime in here also. Enjoy the new Porsche.

Old 12-20-2014, 11:06 AM
Received 44 Likes on 16 Posts

I purchased my 2012 XKR-S Conv from a dealer almost a year ago for low 80's, and at the time it was one of 3 in the same price range (not an anomaly). In fact it was even noted on this forum at the time how much they had dropped in just 2 years (may be able to find that thread). So I'm not surprised by what you're seeing - I think it's going to always be a long sell with these cars to find the right buyer. Consignment seems like a good approach. Whatever you decide, good luck!

Old 12-20-2014, 11:36 AM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

"Trading it in" - KBB states the trade-in value to a dealership to be roughly $81K. Keep in mind that, as stated earlier, there is no tax benefit in doing so as you pay the complete taxes on your purchase car not the difference between the two cars. If you were going to a dealership that sold the same car line (Jag) the you may see a price nearing that number but still not quite, the fact that you are looking at a Porsche unless they have a partnership with a Jag dealership I'd say you would likely expect number somewhere in the neighborhood of @15% below that number and they will of course try shooting the "stupid number" far below that to see if you'd take it and to start the negotiations in their favor not yours. Carmax will do you no better. You will see that dealerships, both new car and Carmax, make more percentage-wise on used cars than they do on new ones. With used cars there is both a higher liability for them selling it AND they know that you are more vulnerable both working against you. Anyone who says "I got above KBB for my trade in" only had other numbers on their new car purchased jacked up and didn't notice it, similar to the lady with her 2006 where they "added" dealer prep charges that are totally bogus.

A couple years ago I brought a perfect BMW M3 to Carmax, the going rate was anywhere from $12-14 they offered me $7 which I took. It's a good place to get money fast but don't think for a second they will give you anywhere near "market value".

In terms of you selling your car, winter is always the worst time of year to sell cars as people are geared up for holidays, weather sucks (for others not us!), businesses are closing years end, etc. Movement starts back up in spring but prices don't go up only down.

Best of luck.

Last edited by Leeper; 12-20-2014 at 11:39 AM.
Old 12-20-2014, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Leeper
Keep in mind that, as stated earlier, there is no tax benefit in doing so as you pay the complete taxes on your purchase car not the difference between the two cars.
It is so sad to see this for California residents, which I feel is a real screw job to the car buyer.

Here in New Mexico we get the offset of a trade .....and new car purchase.... and our state sales tax is only 3% on motor vehicles.

Buying a car in California and having to pay full sales tax even with a trade would make any deal hard to swallow in my opinion. I guess California needs the income.

There is a price to pay to live in paradise, I guess.

I didn't know the deal on sales taxes in California. Thanks Leeper for the education. We learn something new in life everyday.

Old 12-20-2014, 03:07 PM

I have listed my car on autotrader, cars.com, and several forums such as this one. I'm actually surprised that nobody from this jag forum has inquired about my car. Now that the prices have dipped into the 70's for the RS, it seems like a good time to acquire one of these cars, especially if you are jag guy.
I took my car to carmax last week and they offered $69k. However, they said that was a wholesale price, not retail. I traded in a GL Mercedes to carmax last year and they gave me a very good deal, because they were going to sell it on their lot (retail). They told me that they typically don't sell high end cars like the RS, so they we going to unload it to another dealer at wholesale price.

Old 12-20-2014, 03:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I knew going back into Jaguar there was going to be a big depreciation hit but I figured being it was my 70th birthday present then what the hell. I payed the going rate back in May for what I got and knew I'd take a 10K hit in 6 months . I paid $74K for it and now it's in the 60's but I got what I go and I will pass it on to my kids sometime down the road. In the mean time my wife can drive it , my kids can drive it but most of all I can drive it. Unless something comes up I'll keep it forever. I looked at Auto trader today and the car I would have liked over what I got was listed for $75K. It was a BRG XKR-S convertible with under 10K miles. But I got my 2nd choice with the IRR . Happy motoring and enjoy the ride. Good luck on your sale.

Old 12-20-2014, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,151 Likes on 3,085 Posts

I bought my first XK8 when it was twelve years old and still in near perfect condition with 66,000 miles for a whopping $8500 (£5440). Considering that it was sold at $75,000 new, I think I got one excellent car for very little money. In THAT case, the Jaguar depreciation was a benefit for me. Having bought a couple more since, I can probably say that I will NOT buy a new Jaguar ever. Instead, I now buy one or two year old models and let someone ELSE lose the 30-40% depreciation. Paying an extra $30-40,000 for one year isn't worth it to me.

Old 12-20-2014, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

I have listed my car on autotrader, cars.com, and several forums such as this one. I'm actually surprised that nobody from this jag forum has inquired about my car. Now that the prices have dipped into the 70's for the RS, it seems like a good time to acquire one of these cars, especially if you are jag guy.
I took my car to carmax last week and they offered $69k. However, they said that was a wholesale price, not retail. I traded in a GL Mercedes to carmax last year and they gave me a very good deal, because they were going to sell it on their lot (retail). They told me that they typically don't sell high end cars like the RS, so they we going to unload it to another dealer at wholesale price.
Some months back I tried to sell my flawless XJL to Carmax. The price they offered was $14K lower than the price of the same '12 XJL that they had on their lot. Their car had about 10K more miles on it, same options. I did not accept the offer and still driving the XJL.

Fact of life; Jags depreciate rather badly. This is one of the "luxury" aspect in a Jaguar to be able to accept such steep decline in value. Also, 21K miles on your odometer will deter a large portion of prospective buyers. This car is in semi-exotic category and people prefer to get them with very low mileages. Last March I got my '10 XKR with 6K original miles!

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (12-20-2014)

Quick Reply: Crazy depreciation of XKR-S