XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

CTEK 3300 Battery Charger Installation

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 08:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by bocatrip
Richzak,

I have not yet gotten around to remove the trunk battery cover in my Coupe to view the battery setup. My question is this. Can the eyelet connection to the battery be draped directly into the spare tire area with the battery cover put back and secured without making any additional accommodation for the chord to get through? Does it get pinched anywhere? Is the trunk setup for the Coupe with regards to the battery cover and spare tire cover similar to the convertible?
Boca:

You should have NO problems installing the CTEK 3300 to the 2010 XK Coupe. As you can see from the attached photo, you simply unscrew the thumb screws as shown on the battery cover in the picture. From this photo you can see the lower 2 screws, one on the right next to the Navigation System door and one to the left side(drivers side) of the battery cover. 2 more screws are above the ones below. You can clearly see the 4 thumb screws in my photo. The battery cover does not need any modifications. The CTEK cord will simply lay under the battery cover leading into the spare tire area. Then the extension will be plugged in and exit the coupe trunk lid.

When the coupe trunk lid closes, there is a large gap and the CTEK 3300 cord will come out of the trunk, and the rubber molding will not be hurt.

In my installation photos, you have to remove the battery cover and then remove the spare tire cover. If you want to run the CTEK 8" Comfort Extension under the spare or on top of the spare tire is strictly your preference. I like having the wire underneath so when I lift the spare tire cover, you see no cords.

Hope this helps.

Attached Thumbnails CTEK 3300 Battery Charger Installation-jaguar-2010-xk-coupe-trunk.jpg  

Last edited by richzak; 12-14-2013 at 10:15 PM.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

I finished hooking up the CTEK3300 with no real issues. I have 2 questions. How warm is the charger supposed to get? I'm using a 25 ft 16 gauge extension chord. Is that acceptable? The manual mentions 18 gauge.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member

I finished hooking up the CTEK3300 with no real issues. I have 2 questions. How warm is the charger supposed to get and I believe I'm using a 25 ft 16 gauge extension chord. Is that acceptable?
Extension should be no problem.

The unit will get warm which is usual when showing "orange" indicator on top row, but when showing "GREEN" on top line to the right, the charger will cool down as it is only a trickle charge then.

Just make sure bottom indicator is on CAR icon.

Glad to hear it was an easy install.

The following users liked this post:
bocatrip (12-31-2013)
Old 12-31-2013, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by richzak
Extension should be no problem.

The unit will get warm which is usual when showing "orange" indicator on top row, but when showing "GREEN" on top line to the right, the charger will cool down as it is only a trickle charge then.

Just make sure bottom indicator is on CAR icon.

Glad to hear it was an easy install.

Thanks Richzak. Orange on top and I'm on the car icon. I will check to see how many hours it takes to move to green. I wish I had another male plug to insert into the end of the comfort chord when disconnected and driving the car. I guess I could remove the one that came with the eyelet connectors and use it.

Old 12-31-2013, 04:04 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Richzak. Orange on top and I'm on the car icon. I will check to see how many hours it takes to move to green. I wish I had another male plug to insert into the end of the comfort chord when disconnected and driving the car. I guess I could remove the one that came with the eyelet connectors and use it.
Did you buy the CTEK Comfort Extension?

If so, it will connect between the eyelet and fuse cord and the CTEK unit.

Then it's just a unplug, throw cord in the trunk and roll out of the garage.

The eyelet and fuse cord is quite short, only about 12 to 15 inches.

The eyelet cord should be connected to the battery terminals as in the photos above. I would NOT use the alligator clips. There is NO guarantee the alligator clips will remain on.

If you connect the exact way in the photos, you will not have any problems.

Depending on how weak the battery is, may take all night. Give it time on the first full charge. Then there after if you plug in after pulling into garage, it will only take about 15 minutes....be sure to lock your car, even in the garage for proper electrical shutdown.

Last edited by richzak; 12-31-2013 at 04:08 PM.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:38 PM
Veteran Member

Did you buy the CTEK Comfort Extension?

If so, it will connect between the eyelet and fuse cord and the CTEK unit.

Then it's just a unplug, throw cord in the trunk and roll out of the garage.

The eyelet and fuse cord is quite short, only about 12 to 15 inches.

The eyelet cord should be connected to the battery terminals as in the photos above. I would NOT use the alligator clips. There is NO guarantee the alligator clips will remain on.

If you connect the exact way in the photos, you will not have any problems.

Depending on how weak the battery is, may take all night. Give it time on the first full charge. Then there after if you plug in after pulling into garage, it will only take about 15 minutes....be sure to lock your car, even in the garage for proper electrical shutdown.

Richak, I have done exactly as you instructed (great diagrams). Only hiccup was negative terminal got loose and I had to overtighten to get it secure. Eyelets to battery, comfort chord to end of eyelet chord. Comfort chord under spare tire and out hatch to CTEK3300 to 16 gauge 20 ft extension chord. I'm just not super comfortable not having the end of the comfort chord plugged when I drive around with it in the trunk somewhat exposed. Although I have started my car a million times without much driving, I have never gotten any warning lights to battery needing charging. I'm going this route to preserve my battery's health and longevity as recommended. Thanks again.

Last edited by bocatrip; 12-31-2013 at 04:42 PM.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:40 PM
Veteran Member

Richak, I have done exactly as you instructed (great diagrams). Only hiccup was negative terminal got loose and I had to overtighten to get it secure. Eyelets to battery, comfort chord to end of eyelet chord. Comfort chord under spare tire and out hatch to CTEK3300 to 16 gauge 20 ft extension chord. I'm just not super comfortable not having the end of the comfort chord plugged when I drive around with it in the trunk somewhat exposed. Although I have started my car a million times without much driving, I have never gotten any warning lights to battery needing charging. I'm going this route to preserve my battery's health and longevity as recommended. Thanks again.
Sounds like you did the installation correctly. You just have to get past the idea of having the cord in your trunk space. Perhaps roll it up nicely each time.

After a week of charging you will be glad you did this, especially when you see that GREEN LIGHT light up. Then you always know, your battery is fully charged. It's certainly peace of mind for any Jaguar owner.

Who wants the potential problems of a low battery as we have all read here on these forums so many times.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:41 PM
Veteran Member

Sounds like you did the installation correctly. You just have to get past the idea of having the cord in your trunk space. Perhaps roll it up nicely each time.

After a week of charging you will be glad you did this, especially when you see that GREEN LIGHT light up. Then you always know, your battery is fully charged. It's certainly peace of mind for any Jaguar owner.

Who wants the potential problems of a low battery as we have all read here on these forums so many times.

You are absolutely right! I can't believe as a grown man I'm looking forward to seeing a green light on a battery charger in my garage.....I need a life! I really am having so much fun with my new toy! Next on the list.......Ceramic pads all around.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:10 PM
Veteran Member

You are absolutely right! I can't believe as a grown man I'm looking forward to seeing a green light on a battery charger in my garage.....I need a life! I really am having so much fun with my new toy! Next on the list.......Ceramic pads all around.
I am happy for you. One thing I have learned from this forum is that all people who own a Jaguar XK/XKR or XKR-S....simply love their cars.

The great thing about these forums is that other owners are so willing to help each other. We are a select group of car owners.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:44 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

?

Last edited by Kopavi; 05-19-2014 at 06:43 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kopavi:
bocatrip (01-02-2014), richzak (01-02-2014)
Old 01-02-2014, 03:02 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Kopavi
When I installed my CTEK 3300 it came with a plug cap for the short cable near the battery. Since I use the comfort extension, I cut this cap and cord and tied it to the end of the comfort extension cable. Now I can plug the protective cap into the exposed comfort extension cable when not charging the battery. Here is a photo of the protective cap hanging next to the comfort extension cord during charging.
Good idea......

ag986 (09-22-2015)
Old 01-02-2014, 05:34 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,382 Likes on 1,049 Posts

Can the eyelet connection to the battery be draped directly into the spare tire area with the battery cover put back and secured without making any additional accommodation for the chord to get through? Does it get pinched anywhere? Is the trunk setup for the Coupe with regards to the battery cover and spare tire cover similar to the convertible?
When I fitted the lead to my 2010 XKR I used the positive battery post and one of the bolts in the metal cage to the right of the battery for the negative lead. Then I looped the lead up so the socket pokes out of the top of the panel covering the battery area (directly under the rear parcel shelf). I don't have an indoor charging facility so I run a power lead into the boot and put the charger in there, shutting the boot while it charges. The power lead is sufficiently small that the boot shuts nicely. If CTEK made a 10 metre extension lead rather than a measly 2.5 metre one, I could leave the charger indoors and just run the extension lead out to the car. I wouldn't use multiple 2.5 leads to get the length as I don't trust the joints to be waterproof enough.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Kopavi
When I installed my CTEK 3300 it came with a plug cap for the short cable near the battery. Since I use the comfort extension, I cut this cap and cord and tied it to the end of the comfort extension cable. Now I can plug the protective cap into the exposed comfort extension cable when not charging the battery. Here is a photo of the protective cap hanging next to the comfort extension cord during charging.
Thanks, That is precisely what I am planning on doing. I guess I can use one of those plastic ties to strap it to the end of the comfort chord.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
Then I looped the lead up so the socket pokes out of the top of the panel covering the battery area (directly under the rear parcel shelf).
I did the same but have the Ctek Comfort Indicator poking out so when I open the boot I can see if the battery needs charging by the flashing lights on the end of the lead. If it does I pop the cap off the lead and plug the charger in.

It is surprising what a difference a charged battery makes to the touch screen start up time as it seems to switch to the home screen almost immediately when fully charged as opposed to sitting at the Jaguar logo for a few seconds (or hanging).

Old 01-03-2014, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by u102768
I did the same but have the Ctek Comfort Indicator poking out so when I open the boot I can see if the battery needs charging by the flashing lights on the end of the lead. If it does I pop the cap off the lead and plug the charger in.

It is surprising what a difference a charged battery makes to the touch screen start up time as it seems to switch to the home screen almost immediately when fully charged as opposed to sitting at the Jaguar logo for a few seconds (or hanging).
I think so many owners under estimate this charging device, especially with an electrical burner like a Jaguar. If there is one aftermarket item I would suggest that any XK/XKR/XKR-S owner purchase, it's the CTEK 3300 or other CTEK charger. Well worth the expense of $75.00 for charger and CTEK Comfort 8' ft Extension.

I have one for my Jaguar XKR and one for my new 2014 Porsche Cayman 981. I wouldn't be without one for each premium automobile.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:12 PM
Veteran Member

I had my CTEK3300 on for a number of days showing a full charge (green light). I had the hatch opened for maybe 10 minutes which triggered the charger to start another cycle. I was surprised that it took almost 3 hours before the light went back to green. I didn't think those 2 trunk lights would draw that much off a fully charged battery.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:23 PM
Received 157 Likes on 101 Posts

I have a Schumacher charger, not a CTEK, however, mine does the same thing. I believe that as the battery approaches full charge, the charging rate slows down considerably, so the last 15/20% of capacity takes a while to complete. When I recently replaced my gear knob, I had the ignition switch on and the door opened for perhaps 20 minutes. It took a few hours for the steady green light to reappear.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:44 PM
Received 157 Likes on 101 Posts

Further, for those of you who have a different kind of charger that isn't as easily wall mounted as the CTEK looks to be, here was my solution. My charger is basically a 3"x4" box, with no hardware to wall mount. Leaving it on the garage floor or sitting loose on a bench didn't satisfy me, so here's how I mounted mine. I purchased an iron wall mount as pictured below. The charger simply slides in between the metal brackets and sits on the mount shelf. I then pushed the bracket arms together for a snug fit. The hooks at the bottom are perfect for wrapping the cord when not in use. Mounted on the wall, it is much easier to check charging status and I don't have to worry about moisture issues.

Attached Thumbnails CTEK 3300 Battery Charger Installation-image.jpg  
Kevin77 (11-26-2014)
Old 01-10-2014, 06:12 PM
Veteran Member

My car has been charging for over a week with the green light on. I have not opened any doors or started the car. I noticed the red light was on and the charger was not very warm. Was it going through a topping up cycle because the voltage dropped slightly?

update......I just noticed after a few minutes it going back to green.

Last edited by bocatrip; 01-10-2014 at 06:44 PM.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member

My car has been charging for over a week with the green light on. I have not opened any doors or started the car. I noticed the red light was on and the charger was not very warm. It it now going through a topping up cycle because the voltage dropped slightly?

update......I just noticed after a few minutes it going back to green.
Yes, you are correct. Make sure the car is locked even when parked in the garage.

The CTEK when green shows the battery is charged and drops in voltage and is sending a trickle charge to the battery.

When the battery needs power/charging, the middle red light on the top row will light up....thus sending a fuller charge to the battery. If you see this happening, you know that your CTEK is working properly and most surprising you know that your battery needs some charging.

The CTEK is one of the best items that any Jaguar owner of our XK/XKR cars can buy.

You now know that your battery needs the charging, and you really don't have to worry as the CTEK is taking care of that for you.

When the green light is lite, the charger itself is cooler to the touch. When red, it tends to get warmer as it is powering up the battery.

Glad that you see the change from red to green.

Hopefully your happy owning one of these smart chargers.

I don't know how anybody can go without this type of charger. We read so many posts of electrical gremlins mostly caused by weak or exhausted power levels from the battery.

Last edited by richzak; 01-10-2014 at 06:24 PM.

Quick Reply: CTEK 3300 Battery Charger Installation