XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Current XKR Series just become the most collectible Jaguar since the XKE

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 05:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts
Default Current XKR Series just become the most collectible Jaguar since the XKE

The reasons I think that...

Limited production
Obscenely beautiful
Well kept secret, yet to be discovered by most
Successor unlikely to eclipse beauty or performance
Depreciated values makes it an extraordinary value
Competing cars in its class unlikely to remain as desirable over time
Heritage, and the XK moniker
Strong enthusiast community
Shadow of unreliability disappearing
Strong resurgence of the Jaguar brand
Production ending

I've been fortunate to have owned several cars that became contemporary classics almost immediately after they were discontinued. They all maintained their used car values or appreciated. They all became recognized as collectibles, and years later still are. All were known for strong performance and their higher available trim levels became the most sought after.

Now that the XK series production is ending I would predict that particularly the 5L XKR and XKR-S models will become contemporary classics, and the best condition examples will start to maintain their values after the first few years of depreciation. Convertibles should do particularly well as is traditionally the case, although the XKR-S may be preferred in coupe form because of its emphasis on performance.

I think the promotion of the F-Type and all models in "R" trim will profile Jaguar as a strong performance brand and draw the attention of collectors of special interest vehicles. Those who own low mileage examples in pristine condition may want to consider hanging on to them rather than feeling compelled to buy the latest. The XK offered a unique blend of luxury and performance that will be as desirable tomorrow as it is today, and perhaps never available from Jaguar again.

What do you think?

Bruce

Last edited by Bruce H.; 12-03-2013 at 07:21 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bruce H.:
bigoshin (03-29-2023), Chris brown 1979 (03-20-2023)
Old 12-02-2013, 07:14 AM
Received 135 Likes on 108 Posts

I hope you are right. Except I predict the XKR-S convertibles will always hold a premium over the coupes, as they continue to do at this time. There are less of them and it's one of the few convertibles that has virtually similar performance to its coupe sibling. It's also the most powerful convertible Jaguar has ever made.

Lastly, I'm just not sure that the next version of the XK will be a downer. It's likely to have a much better infotainment system and overall a nicely refreshed interior. I think there is a good chance it will also out perform the previous generation.

We shall see.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:13 AM
Veteran Member

I actually don't think the next XK will be a downer at all, but I think its styling will be a significant enough departure, or perhaps complete departure, from the timeless and classic XK lines that it will make the current one's even more appealing over time.

Do you think the sophistication of any infotainment system will matter at all to a car's future collectability and value? I just think it's awesome that the XKR has one for the very odd time I'm interested in using one!

Bruce

Old 12-02-2013, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
The reasons I think that...

Limited production
Obscenely beautiful
Well kept secret, yet to be discovered by most
Successor unlikely to eclipse beauty or performance
Depreciated values makes it an extraordinary value
Competing cars in its class unlikely to remain as desirable over time
Heritage, and the XK moniker
Strong enthusiast community
Shadow of unreliability disappearing
Strong resurgence of the Jaguar brand
Production ended

I've been fortunate to have owned several cars that became contemporary classics almost immediately after they were discontinued. They all maintained their used car values or appreciated. They all became recognized as collectibles, and years later still are. All were known for strong performance and their higher available trim levels became the most sought after.

Now that the XK series production is ending I would predict that particularly the 5L XKR and XKR-S models will become contemporary classics, and the best condition examples will start to maintain their values after the first few years of depreciation. Convertibles should do particularly well as is traditionally the case, although the XKR-S may be preferred in coupe form because of its emphasis on performance.

I think the promotion of the F-Type and all models in "R" trim will profile Jaguar as a strong performance brand and draw the attention of collectors of special interest vehicles. Those who own low mileage examples in pristine condition may want to consider hanging on to them rather than feeling compelled to buy the latest. The XK offered a unique blend of luxury and performance that will be as desirable tomorrow as it is today, and perhaps never available from Jaguar again.

What do you think?

Bruce
Very possibly, but over how long a period of time? and where will we be by then?

Old 12-02-2013, 09:46 AM
Received 135 Likes on 108 Posts

I actually don't think the next XK will be a downer at all, but I think its styling will be a significant enough departure, or perhaps complete departure, from the timeless and classic XK lines that it will make the current one's even more appealing over time.

Do you think the sophistication of any infotainment system will matter at all to a car's future collectability and value? I just think it's awesome that the XKR has one for the very odd time I'm interested in using one!

Bruce
You could be very right about the end of the classic XK lines...There is a good chance the new XK will be quite a departure.

As for the interior...It doesn't bother me at all either and I really have few complaints...It would be great to see tire pressures, stream music through bluetooth, and stuff like that which even my GMC truck can do...but really its no big deal for me as I am more interested in performance and the car-to-driver connection. I also think the gauge pod is sort of...generic I guess. Again, no big deal for me but I was thinking about that on my drive into work this morning.

However, from the eyes of a new prospective buyer, he/she may weigh the options and see that the newer models are the better car...although the older lines of the current XK may be the more collectible and could appeal to the more purist buyer, I don't know if that will be enough to hold values.

Ultimately, I am not sure how the current gen XK's pre-owned pricing will fair into the future. I can only hope for the best!

Old 12-02-2013, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member

I think if and when the market sees it as a collectible or special interest car that values might start firming up somewhere in the range of 40% of the original MSRP.

Let's use a 2010 XKR vert with 20" wheels as an example. It listed at $120k Cdn (less in the US), dealers list used ones for about $75k Cdn, and wholesale Cdn Black Book value is $61-66k depending on condition. I think that once resale prices drop into the range of $50k Cdn that those who are interested in buying a fair weather toy to use mostly for pleasure might find the XKR an absolute bargain for what that amount buys you. They'll also see that value when comparing to the new XK, and to the F-Type and other high-end sports/GT car that others with a larger budget might purchase for the very same purpose.

Depreciation is why people buy used cars in the first place, but the distinction of it being a collectible would be that its value would then stop dropping, or in the best case, start rising as the supply of good condition XKs dwindles and new car prices continue to increase. Some of the best condition cars will find their way into the hands of those who are committed to preserving them and a strong demand for those will emerge.

This would be all good news for those currently with that XKR as it might only depreciate another $25K over then next many years, as opposed to far more for just the first year of a new XK!

Bruce

Last edited by Bruce H.; 12-02-2013 at 11:21 AM.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 346 Likes on 239 Posts

SO...have we CONFIRMED that Jaguar has taken the line down and is NO LONGER accepting orders for NEW Jaguar XK, XKR, XKR-S, and XKR-S GT's ??!?!?! If so where did we get this confirmation - just want to know for sure thats all.

Old 12-02-2013, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

I have already noticed my XKR's value has held fairly steady. Unfortunately I doubt mine will ever be collectible since the miles are high (almost 60k now).

The Jaguar brand is resurging for sure. As much as I love JF, I'd say the enthusiast community is pretty weak. Very small, especially when you compare to Porsche, BMW or Audi. Until Jaguar gets back into motorsports, I don't really see much of an opportunity to really build a strong enthusiast base!

The following users liked this post:
Lothar52 (12-02-2013)
Old 12-02-2013, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
I have already noticed my XKR's value has held fairly steady. Unfortunately I doubt mine will ever be collectible since the miles are high (almost 60k now).

The Jaguar brand is resurging for sure. As much as I love JF, I'd say the enthusiast community is pretty weak. Very small, especially when you compare to Porsche, BMW or Audi. Until Jaguar gets back into motorsports, I don't really see much of an opportunity to really build a strong enthusiast base!
Yes, you are absolutely correct that the enthusiast community is small, but on the other hand, if you are interested in having some exclusivity then you can't have it both ways! I bought my car purposely because: 1) I think it's a beautiful car and 2) There are very few around. I liked the RS5 Coupe too, but there are a ton of A5s that all look the same. Where can you get a car with the Jags looks in this price range? Ok the R8 is a super car and also very limited, but even a used 2006 is 90,000 big ones. I'd like to keep things the way they are as long as Jag sticks to it's present improved reliability.

Old 12-02-2013, 01:45 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bocatrip
Yes, you are absolutely correct that the enthusiast community is small, but on the other hand, if you are interested in having some exclusivity then you can't have it both ways! I bought my car purposely because: 1) I think it's a beautiful car and 2) There are very few around. I liked the RS5 Coupe too, but there are a ton of A5s that all look the same. Where can you get a car with the Jags looks in this price range? Ok the R8 is a super car and also very limited, but even a used 2006 is 90,000 big ones. I'd like to keep things the way they are as long as Jag sticks to it's present improved reliability.
It is small..but go drive to the gas station and see how many fans you pic up!! HAHAHAHA!!!! Its small because for YEARS Jaguar did not properly market their brand... least in my state of Ohio. In fact the XK was released in 2007 and I did not see one till 2012!!!! In fact until I got into cars and had bought a Infiniti G37s I never knew about any XK. Now that I saw it, bought it, drove it...I got 2!!! YEEEEHAW!!! This brand gets into your blood...you just got to take the Jaguar Leap(er)....you wont turn back...even if there are a few quirks in the cars...it dont matter they are THAT GOOD.

Old 12-02-2013, 01:49 PM
Veteran Member

Ok...back to biizz-nesss...How do we have confirmation on cancellation of the XK series???

Old 12-02-2013, 05:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Lothar52
Ok...back to biizz-nesss...How do we have confirmation on cancellation of the XK series???
Someone in another thread claimed to have been told by a dealer that production had ended. I checked the Jaguar Canada site and only the 2013 XK is shown. Somebody call Jaguar North America quick and let us know!

Old 12-02-2013, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member

Someone in another thread claimed to have been told by a dealer that production had ended. I checked the Jaguar Canada site and only the 2013 XK is shown. Somebody call Jaguar North America quick and let us know!

AMEN!!! Whats the #? I will call dag nabbit!

Old 12-02-2013, 06:35 PM
Veteran Member

I like the comment..."Well Kept secret yet to be discovered". YOU ARE RIGHT!! I am in Columbus, OH and everyone looks at the car(s) like its a alien spacecraft because:

1- THEY HAVE NEVER SEEN ONE EVER BEFORE IN PERSON...
2- THEY HAVE NEVER SEEN ONE BEFORE ON TV
3- THEY HAVE NEVER SEEN ONE BEFORE EVER IN ANY FORM OR FASHION
4- Most dont know Jaguar is still making cars because apart from the X-Type as they have not seen a XJ or XF either!! Those are just as rare here!!

The City of Columbus, OH has no stand alone Jaguar dealership. Cleveland, Cincinnati, Dayton all do...but not Columbus. I get my service at Byers Imports..which also sells Porsche, Audi, and Subaru cars. In fact whenever I go to get service I see nothng but Porsche's.

Old 12-02-2013, 07:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Lothar52
I am in Columbus, OH and everyone looks at the car(s) like its a alien spacecraft because:

1- THEY HAVE NEVER SEEN ONE EVER BEFORE IN PERSON...
2- THEY HAVE NEVER SEEN ONE BEFORE ON TV
3- THEY HAVE NEVER SEEN ONE BEFORE EVER IN ANY FORM OR FASHION
Yours is not only a contemporary classic and collectible special interest sports car, but also a supercar and exotic!

From Wiki...

"A supercar is a very expensive and fast sports car. Supercars are marketed by automakers as unusual and include limited production specials from an "elite" automaker, standard-looking cars modified for power and performance, as well as models that appeal to enthusiasts from smaller manufacturers"

and "During the late 20th century, the term supercar was used to describe "a very expensive, fast or powerful car with a centrally located engine", and stated in more general terms: "it must be very fast, with sporting handling to match", "it should be sleek and eye-catching" and its price should be "one in a rarefied atmosphere of its own"

and from this source which goes on to discuss exotics in great detail...http://www.examiner.com/article/exot...-by-definition

"Applied as a term used to both describe and classify cars (as in "exotic cars"), the stipulative definition has been used to describe vehicles that are so rare and unusual, it's not likely the mass population will ever see one in person . 99% of the public will seldom be fortunate enough to get near one as a driver or passenger. Furthermore, chances are the average layperson won't even know what the cars are (by brand or feature definitions and specs) if they do happen to see one at a car show or on the road."

Bruce

Old 12-02-2013, 07:35 PM
Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

You're probably right Bruce. My biggest problem is to keep the millage LOW.

That car is so fun to drive.
Should buy second one and keep it garaged for 20 years and use the actual one... Some were doing that with vettes and alike, but I don't khow how will be the market in 20 years from now for classic cars when all the babyboomers will be gone?

Guy

Old 12-02-2013, 08:38 PM
Veteran Member

Well, you could always just enjoy it for 20 years of pleasure use and not worry about the mileage, or who might buy it! My Supra Twin turbo just turned 20 in September and it gets more attention now than it ever did. Cool cars today just get cooler with age... and the XK is among the coolest (look no further than the pop-up gear shift, clam style engine hood and oval grill dating back to all the Jaguar legends). Just keep it in good condition and don't worry about the mileage if you're able to enjoy it.

The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (12-02-2013)
Old 12-03-2013, 06:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

There's too many other cars in the world for me to hold on the XK forever. I do think it is one best looking cars of this era and I'd rather see people buying up used XK's like they did with Supra's or NSX's.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:35 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Well that's news to me! - I work for a supplier to Jaguar here in the UK and we have firm Castle Bromwich schedules for XK parts through to March next year, averaging around 75 coupes & 45 convertibles a week. I've not heard of any planned run-out after that.
The info we have is that the X151 XK replacement Job1 is planned for September 2016, so there may still be plenty of life left in the old dog yet!

Pendle

The following 2 users liked this post by Pendle:
Lothar52 (12-03-2013), ralphwg (12-03-2013)
Old 12-03-2013, 08:32 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Pendle
Well that's news to me! - I work for a supplier to Jaguar here in the UK and we have firm Castle Bromwich schedules for XK parts through to March next year, averaging around 75 coupes & 45 convertibles a week. I've not heard of any planned run-out after that.
The info we have is that the X151 XK replacement Job1 is planned for September 2016, so there may still be plenty of life left in the old dog yet!

Pendle
That's very interesting, although it doesn't necessarily mean we will see them in North America that long. As an example, US and Canada stopped importing the Toyota Supra and MR2 a number of years before production ended for their home market and some other countries.

Bruce

The following 2 users liked this post by Bruce H.:
J.J. (03-31-2023), Lothar52 (12-03-2013)

Quick Reply: Current XKR Series just become the most collectible Jaguar since the XKE