XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Defrost vent on upper dash

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 671 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by ROYALMAN
Would like to order please
PM me what you are needing. The long upper dash vents by the windshield or the small round vents? I am waiting on some round vents to be made now, one set for William Ryan. I hope to have these by the end of the week...

Aaron

Old 06-04-2019, 08:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They wont let me pm you. I guess because im new, i need the defrost vent along the windshield, both sides. Whats your paypal?

Old 06-04-2019, 08:51 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ROYALMAN
They wont let me pm you. I guess because im new, i need the defrost vent along the windshield, both sides. Whats your paypal?

PayPal is the following: email address removed at OP's request

Email me at the same email, your shipping info...

Last edited by GGG; 04-10-2020 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Remove eMail address
Old 07-10-2019, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member

Yes as of right now I still have access to these vents... The guy I was using has since left the shop, but put me in contact with another guy there that has all of the files for the vents. It seems the price has went up a little but not by much 10 bucks or so, not a big difference. If you cannot PM because your a new user, you can email me at: email address removed at OP's request

Last edited by GGG; 04-10-2020 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Remove eMail address
Old 08-26-2019, 07:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Defrost vent

I've got the same issue with broken,vents. I tried posting a link for someone offering these parts, but moderator thought I was personally selliing them, I was only trying to be helpful by pointing my fellow XK owners in a direction where they may be able to, procure these unicornesque vents.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-2015-J...gAAOSwJmtdYBPY

The following users liked this post:
Stuart S (08-27-2019)
Old 08-27-2019, 12:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,888 Likes on 1,282 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom0529
I've got the same issue with broken,vents. I tried posting a link for someone offering these parts, but moderator thought I was personally selliing them, I was only trying to be helpful by pointing my fellow XK owners in a direction where they may be able to, procure these unicornesque vents.

If said person is making and selling them (it’s not an original vent), why put a hidden reserve price on them?
Just list how much is wanted, and use ‘buy it now’.
Even if it’s a one-of-a-kind, list a starting price.
Sounds fishy.

Old 08-27-2019, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by kj07xk
If said person is making and selling them (it’s not an original vent), why put a hidden reserve price on them?
Just list how much is wanted, and use ‘buy it now’.
Even if it’s a one-of-a-kind, list a starting price.
Sounds fishy.
I don't think they alluded to it being OEM,but rather a copy of an OEM utilizing higher grade plastic. I'm not sure why the reserve price, I'll call the number listed on ad to inquire why that is.

Old 08-27-2019, 09:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,132 Likes on 3,379 Posts

That Ebay seller appears to be in Naples, FL and seems to be legit with 100% positive feedback. You should have no worries because you're protected by Ebay and PayPal money back guarantees. I agree that an auction with a reserve price doesn't make sense, and sent the Seller a message through Ebay recommending that he change to Buy It Now. Time will tell.

Even if your dashboard is OK now, I think this is a spare part worth buying, assuming the price is reasonable.

Old 08-27-2019, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,132 Likes on 3,379 Posts

That Ebay seller just replied and explained "This is our First set and where (sic) trying to figure out what’s a fair price."

The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart S:
kj07xk (08-27-2019), TexasTraveler (08-27-2019)
Old 08-27-2019, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
That Ebay seller just replied and explained "This is our First set and where (sic) trying to figure out what’s a fair price."
I wonder if this is a mold or just a 3D printer. They should be able to figure out a cost and then add their profit margin. Sounds like they are trying to establish this as a rare part and price it high. Unfortunately someone with dire need will bid it up and buy it regardless of cost. This happened with some of my older Ferrari parts. A distributor rotor NOS cost $150 and an aftermarket guy made and sold them for $25 and he made $15 on each one.

kj07xk (08-27-2019)
Old 08-27-2019, 11:01 AM
Default 2010 Jaguar XKR Defrost vent

Originally Posted by Stuart S
I think I'm going to cut to the chase and offer him 400.00 bucks for both sides. It's cheaper than a new dash and since he's the only game in town I think that's more than fair.

Old 08-27-2019, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member

I think I'm going to cut to the chase and offer him 400.00 bucks for both sides. It's cheaper than a new dash and since he's the only game in town I think that's more than fair.
You do that and it will be the only set they/you ever sell...

I find it interesting Tom, that you show up on the scene from Naples to tell us about a guy from Naples that has these vents for sale. And now you are ready and willing to pay an absurd amount for two pieces of plastic. We have a more affordable option with the overlays that I have had made for forum members... Care to guess how much I am making off of those? I'm not doing it to make money, I am doing it to give back to the community here.. Everyone knows about your vents now, so post them on the market place with a price that you want to sell them at and STOP hijacking my thread for the reason of making a quick buck...

Last edited by TexasTraveler; 08-27-2019 at 11:34 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by TexasTraveler:
110reef (08-27-2019), kj07xk (08-27-2019), SDCR_XK (05-02-2023)
Old 08-27-2019, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member

Be better to let him sit on it when no one hits his reserve. Let him lower the price to something reasonable (tell him the $25 story above).

Old 08-27-2019, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by TexasTraveler
You do that and it will be the only set they/you ever sell...

I find it interesting Tom, that you show up on the seen from Naples to tell us about a guy from Naples that has these vents for sale. And now you are ready and willing to pay an absurd amount for two pieces of plastic. We have a more affordable option with the overlays that I have had made for forum members... Care to guess how much I am making off of those? I'm not doing it to make money, I am doing it to give back to the community here.. Everyone knows about your vents now, so post them on the market place with a price that you want to sell them at and STOP hijacking my thread for the reason of making a quick buck...
I find your ad hominem response both petty and offensive, if not just plain ridiculous. I know the individual is from Naples as am I,because we used the same upholstery installer. Unfortunately just because we share 1 degree of separation (installer) this does not mean I know him,just that I know of him. Now that I've cleared up who I am and who I know, let's address my intentions. My intentions are to take a car I've paid almost 40k for and make it right, which means a defroster vent as close to the original as possible, not two miniature samurai swords in a cheap attempt to just to fill 2 holes on a dashboard. I saw your rendition of dash vents and I'm sorry,but I'll pass. As for what he sells after I make my purchase, that's his problem. There's an old saying you might want to acquaint yourself with " something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it" now you know what I'm willing to pay. Have a nice day!

Last edited by Tom0529; 08-27-2019 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Mispelling
Old 08-27-2019, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member

I find your ad hominem response both petty and offensive if not just ridiculous. I know the individual is from Naples as am I because we used the same upholstery installer. Unfortunately just because we share 1 degree of separation (installer) this does not mean I know him,just that I know of him. Now that I've cleared up who I am let's address my intentions. My intentions are to take a car I've paid almost 40k for and male it right, which means a defroster vent as close to the original, not two miniature samurai swords in a cheap attempt to just to fill 2 holes on a dashboard. I saw your rendition of dash vents and I'm sorry,but I'll pass. As for what he sells after I make my purchase, that's his problem. There's an old saying you might want to acquaint yourself with " something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it" now you know what I'm willing to pay. Have a nice day!
I must have touched a nerve there Tom. If you are in NO correlation with this so called other guy (Tony), then I will stand corrected. But I doubt that you are not, you have a total of 6 post to this point on this forum and all of them are to push these vents. What a coincidence... As for the overlays that I mocked up and had made, they are what they are. If you don't like them I am fine with that. As I have stated previously, I am not making any money on the overlays, I simply tried to come up with a solution for a problem, we XK owners have with the defrost vents. If someone else in this case Tony can come up with a full replacement or a better option than the overlay's that is reasonably priced, I will buy a set myself. But suggesting $400 as fair is asinine.

Old 08-27-2019, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by TexasTraveler
I must have touched a nerve there Tom. If you are in NO correlation with this so called other guy (Tony), then I will stand corrected. But I doubt that you are not, you have a total of 6 post to this point on this forum and all of them are to push these vents. What a coincidence... As for the overlays that I mocked up and had made, they are what they are. If you don't like them I am fine with that. As I have stated previously, I am not making any money on the overlays, I simply tried to come up with a solution for a problem, we XK owners have with the defrost vents. If someone else in this case Tony can come up with a full replacement or a better option than the overlay's that is reasonably priced, I will buy a set myself. But suggesting $400 as fair is asinine.
The only thing asinine are your assumptions. I am pushing this vent for the sole purpose of generating enough people to purchase with hopes that quanity will make it more affordable. Speaking of affordability a new dash ( the only way to get these vents) is 11000.00, kind of makes 400.00 seem like a good deal doesn't it?Lastly, as for struck nerves, i was thinking the same about you. Tell me what you think is fair and if I have enough people,I will tell my upholstery installer to purchase quantity. If you think I'm happily handing over 400.00, you're crazy,but like I've stated above,11k for a dash is pure insanity. In the interest of civility,I'll stay off your thread since its readily apparent you think im here peddling vents for my own financial gain with absolutely no shred of substantiant proof.

Old 08-27-2019, 02:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

The only thing asinine are your assumptions. I am pushing this vent for the sole purpose of generating enough people to purchase with hopes that quanity will make it more affordable. Speaking of affordability a new dash ( the only way to get these vents) is 11000.00, kind of makes 400.00 seem like a good deal doesn't it?Lastly, as for struck nerves, i was thinking the same about you. Tell me what you think is fair and if I have enough people,I will tell my upholstery installer to purchase quantity. If you think I'm happily handing over 400.00, you're crazy,but like I've stated above,11k for a dash is pure insanity. In the interest of civility,I'll stay off your thread since its readily apparent you think im here peddling vents for my own financial gain with absolutely no shred of substantiant proof.
I'm in for $50 each so if they are printed that's a bargain for both the seller and the buyer. If they built a mold then they'll never get their money back as there won't be much of a demand. My bet would be no more then 10-15 sets.

TexasTraveler (08-27-2019)
Old 08-27-2019, 02:46 PM
Default Defrost vent

[QUOTE=jagtoes;2118725]I'm in for $50 each so if they are printed that's a bargain for both the seller and the buyer. If they built a mold then they'll never get their money back as there won't be much of a demand. My bet would be no more then 10-15 sets.[/QU

I just asked my upholstery shop to offer 300.00 He turned it down,you're right he has a mold and has decided sell wholesale to repair shops. Apparently he already has an order for 10 sets with this particular upholstery shop. I guess less money per unit and more quanity works better for him. I'm going to need the dash fixed on mine by Summers end but I was hoping to get enough people to show interest so we can buy them for less. I guess I'll just wait. It's 800.00 for the job including the vents but I have no idea what his cost is.

Last edited by Tom0529; 08-27-2019 at 03:42 PM.
Old 08-27-2019, 04:52 PM
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=Tom0529;2118741]
Originally Posted by jagtoes
I'm in for $50 each so if they are printed that's a bargain for both the seller and the buyer. If they built a mold then they'll never get their money back as there won't be much of a demand. My bet would be no more then 10-15 sets.[/QU

I just asked my upholstery shop to offer 300.00 He turned it down,you're right he has a mold and has decided sell wholesale to repair shops. Apparently he already has an order for 10 sets with this particular upholstery shop. I guess less money per unit and more quanity works better for him. I'm going to need the dash fixed on mine by Summers end but I was hoping to get enough people to show interest so we can buy them for less. I guess I'll just wait. It's 800.00 for the job including the vents but I have no idea what his cost is.
So he wants more than $300 for the set, he's nuts. If I ever need the vents, first I'll use the ones I got from TexasTraveller, then after I retire (if not satisfied with the aluminum ones), I'll take up whittlin' and get a piece of plastic and just start carvin' away.
Enjoy your vents.

Old 08-27-2019, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,164 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Well I'm sure some folks will pay up but guessing few and far between. Maybe I'm wrong I'm with JT. $50 per side from a buyer's perspective seems reasonable, maybe $75. I'm sure others would pay more. As much as I'd like new replacements, my car is 13 years old so....

kj07xk (08-27-2019)

Quick Reply: Defrost vent on upper dash