XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

DGL and Cambo arguing about XKR-S, XKR75, Dynamic Packs, etc...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 06:49 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 926 Likes on 607 Posts
Default DGL and Cambo arguing about XKR-S, XKR75, Dynamic Packs, etc...

Originally Posted by Cambo
From a technical perspective the XKR-S is considerably different the regular XKR, it's not just an exhaust, tune and bodykit, there are a number of other details in the chassis which are unique to the XKR-S and gives it an edge over the XKR.

Steering knuckles
Steering rack (faster in the XKR-S)
Shocks, springs, swaybars
The XKR-S even has a different rear subframe
Etc, etc..

Then when you look at the costs for the nosecone, splitter, rear diffuser, the wing, the sum of it's parts goes a long way to explaining the premium you have to pay for an XKR-S.

It's pretty much the ultimate XK, the GT notwithstanding...

If you like it, get one. But perhaps not that one in your first post, it looks like a bit of a dog...

Not true.

The XKR with Dynamic Pack or Dynamic R have the identical suspension, steering, wheels and tires as the XKR-S. The XKR-S has a 550hp tune, a beefed up torque convertor, and a unique body kit.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:13 PM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Originally Posted by DGL
Not true.
Ha, here we go....

Originally Posted by DGL
The XKR with Dynamic Pack or Dynamic R have the identical suspension, steering, wheels and tires as the XKR-S. The XKR-S has a 550hp tune, a beefed up torque convertor, and a unique body kit.
Well you're wrong about the torque convertor, that's for sure, there is no special torque converter for any of the 5.0L cars, only one part number listed for all of them.

Only the XKR75 is listed as having the same springs, shocks, knuckles, etc as the XKR-S. No other models like the XKR175, Dynamics or whatever.

Yes the Dynamics get the exhaust.

But really i'm not interested in arguing this, please spend some time in the JEPC and see for yourself.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:30 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

Ha, here we go....

Well you're wrong about the torque convertor, that's for sure, there is no special torque converter for any of the 5.0L cars, only one part number listed for all of them.

Only the XKR75 is listed as having the same springs, shocks, knuckles, etc as the XKR-S. No other models like the XKR175, Dynamics or whatever.

Yes the Dynamics get the exhaust.

But really i'm not interested in arguing this, please spend some time in the JEPC and see for yourself.

I'm 100 % right. I'm not arguing with you. I think it is important to state the facts. This subject has been discussed before...

I owned both a XKR175 (not the euro XK75) and an XKR with the dynamic pack. FYI the dynamic pack doesn't include the performance exhaust X-pipe. The performance exhaust x-pipe was a separate option for 2013; although, it was included in the Dynamic R 2014.

The torque converter was beefed up on the XKR-S and XK75 euro model.

Attached Thumbnails DGL and Cambo arguing about XKR-S, XKR75, Dynamic Packs, etc...-xkr-dynamic-xkr-s-suspension-upgrade.png   DGL and Cambo arguing about XKR-S, XKR75, Dynamic Packs, etc...-xkr-dynamic-pack.png  
Old 01-30-2017, 07:56 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

I can't find the documentation on the beefed up torque converter on the XKR-S and euro XKR75. Ross did a complete article on this subject and published it. It was beefed up and the TCM was tuned to handle the 550hp tune of the XKR-S. I'm sure if you search through the forum you will find it.

I sold my 2011 XKR175 to get the 2013 XKR dynamic pack (XKR-S suspension and dynamics), performance exhaust, led lights, and back up camera. The North America XKR175 is a vanilla XKR with a body kit (speed pack) which included the speed limiter being increased to 174.

Last edited by DGL; 01-30-2017 at 08:01 PM.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:01 PM

There is only one torque converter for the supercharged 5.0L

DGL and Cambo arguing about XKR-S, XKR75, Dynamic Packs, etc...-screen-shot-01-31-17-01.50-pm.jpg

There is no special TCM file for the 5.0L XKR-S, if it existed you can be damn sure we would have flashed it into the same XKR's that we've put the XKR-S engine tune into... it's a myth, or at best a marketing gag. It doesn't exist.

I accept what you're saying about the Dynamic Pack option as shown in your documentation. But the torque converter and TCM in the XKR-S is not unique, it's the same as regular XKR's, and same in the XKR-S GT as well, we have scanned an XKR-S with the SDD diagnostic system and checked all the software versions.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:24 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

There is only one torque converter for the supercharged 5.0L

Attachment 142112

There is no special TCM file for the 5.0L XKR-S, if it existed you can be damn sure we would have flashed it into the same XKR's that we've put the XKR-S engine tune into... it's a myth, or at best a marketing gag. It doesn't exist.

I accept what you're saying about the Dynamic Pack option as shown in your documentation. But the torque converter and TCM in the XKR-S is not unique, it's the same as regular XKR's, and same in the XKR-S GT as well, we have scanned an XKR-S with the SDD diagnostic system and checked all the software versions.

Wrong, again...Sorry for hijacking your thread, Lavitz. I thought it was important to report the facts.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...rticle-110904/

The Jaguar XKR 75 | Xclusively Jaguar

Last edited by DGL; 01-30-2017 at 09:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Lavitz (01-31-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by DGL
Wrong, again...Sorry for hijacking your thread, Lavitz. I thought it was important to report the facts.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...rticle-110904/

The Jaguar XKR 75 | Xclusively Jaguar
If it is written on the internet it has to be true...

Old 02-01-2017, 03:00 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tampamark
If it is written on the internet it has to be true...
LOL This article was published by one of our most respected members, researched thoroughly and confirmed by none other than Jaguar UK. You think you know more...

Old 02-01-2017, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by DGL
LOL This article was published by one of our most respected members, researched thoroughly and confirmed by none other than Jaguar UK. You think you know more...
Okay.... I understand you want facts, I prefer facts too. I prefer to get my facts first hand or directly from JLR Tech Support, not the internet.

Please get a VIN for an XKR-S or an XKR75 and try to order one of these "special" torque converters. You cannot order one, because they do not exist.

Please plug an XKR-S into the SDD diagnostic system and report back with the calibration ID of the TCM, it's the same as a regular XKR, because there is no special TCM program for it.

I've done both these things, I know what the answers are.

Now, if you think about what's been claimed from a marketing spindoctor point of view, there is a certain element of truth to this about the transmission program.

The PCM is the primary driver for how the transmission behaves, the PCM tells the TCM when to shift up, and when to kick down. The XKR-S PCM tune is more aggressive than a regular XKR here, especially the kickdown. So with the XKR-S engine tune, you get a more aggressive transmission to boot. From a marketing perspective "the recalibrated transmission" is kind of true, given that it's actually controlled by the PCM, which certainly was recalibrated.

I've reflashed several XKR's with the XKR-S tune (also the F-Type V8S with the F-Type R tune) and yep, the transmission is much more aggressive with the higher power tunes. So it's kind of true, but has nothing to due with the TCM...

The following 3 users liked this post by Cambo:
Cee Jay (02-01-2017), Panthro (02-02-2017), tampamark (02-02-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 07:53 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

This thread was pulled from another thread where the OP is a prospective purchaser of an XKR-S. I felt it was important to correct Cambo on his comments he made incorrectly about the build of the XKR and XKR-S with regard to the optional dynamic pack (2012-13) and dynamic R (2014-15) on the XKR not being identical to the XKR-S. Also, it has also been discussed on this form, researched and published in a Jaguar article that the XKR-S is equipped with a beefed up torque converter and remapped TCM--I wanted to mention this.

It is not my intention to argue this, but to inform the prospective buyer (and any one else interested) that the XKR-S is not as unique as alleged by Cambo. A XKR may be optioned with the dynamic pack or dynamic R to be identical to the suspension on the XKR-S. The beefed up torque converter and remapped TCM of the XKR-S has been researched my a respected member who published an article on it after consulting with Jaguar's special vehicle operations staff. I personally give the article a lot of credit and appreciate Ross's research and article.

I hope I contributed towards clarifying the XKR-S suspension was made available as an option on the XKR and not an exclusive build of the XKR-S--I feel this is important to any prospective buyer. The reader can give as much weight to Ross's article as he or she feels is appropriate. I personally feel Ross properly conducted research and validated his findings.

I did NOT to post on this subject for the sake of arguing. I simply did not the want the prospective buyer or any prospective buyer to be misled. I hope the prospective buyer is now well informed and any other prospective buyer of these fine cars is more knowledgeable and is correctly informed to make their buying decision.

Last edited by DGL; 02-01-2017 at 08:02 PM.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by DGL
Honestly, I certainly don't know more, just a reader with absolutely no care in the world about the subject. Both of you guys know more about Jag's than the majority of folks on this board so I would readily believe either side.

I guess I could sit back and just let the two of you discuss .....but what fun is that?

All I can say is that Cambo is stating first hand information from his extensive personal research with backup data based on supporting part numbers. You are citing an internet article written by someone who got the information from someone else. In my lifetime I have come to some basic conclusions, the more hands it passes through the more info can get distorted.

I think we need to put this to bed and have someone provide torque converters from each car for dissection!!!

sklimii (02-02-2017)
Old 05-04-2017, 08:40 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So how do I know if my car has the dynamic pack as I do know it has the performance exhaust along with the red brake calipers?

Thanks

Thomas

Old 05-07-2017, 06:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 282 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by drbbop
So how do I know if my car has the dynamic pack as I do know it has the performance exhaust along with the red brake calipers?

Thanks

Thomas
Post some pics or the last 8 of your VIN and I can tell you.

Old 05-08-2017, 11:31 AM

My VIN is DMB49896

Old 05-08-2017, 06:37 PM
Veteran Member

So here are your vehicle details from TOPIx...
...Trim SMOKED WALNUT VENEER, very nice.
Does not appear to have the Dynamic Pack. If it did you would have side skirts and an "V-Type" rear diffuser. (I'll post some pics below in the next post of the typical dynamic pack.

• 3.31 FINAL DRIVE RATIO
  • 8 HIGH SERIES RADIO SPEAKERS
  • 20X9FR/20X10RR ORONA POLISHED
  • 255/35 FRT/285/30 RR ZR20
  • ACTIVE HEADLAMPS
  • AUTO DIMMING REAR VIEW MIRROR
  • AUTOLUX CNSL/CONTRAST STITCH
  • BADGE-R
  • BLUETOOTH CONNECTIVITY
  • BOOT/TAILGATE FNSHR-CLR/CHROME
  • BRAKE CALIPERS-RED
  • BRAKE UPGRADE PROGRAM
  • BRIGHT EXT.DOOR FRAME MOLDING
  • BUMPERS-R DYNAMIC
  • CANVAS HEADLINER
  • CARPET-TRUFFLE
  • CASTLE BROMWICH
  • CCR CENTRE CONSOLE
  • CCR COCKPIT
  • CCR DOOR CASING - CORE
  • CCR FRONT BUMPERS
  • CCR FRONT DAMPER
  • CCR HEADLINING
  • CCR REAR BUMPERS
  • CCR REAR DAMPER
  • CCR SEATS
  • CHROME RADIO SPEAKER BEZEL
  • CONSOLE STITCH-IVORY
  • CONTINIOUS CONTR CHASS SUSP
  • CONTOURED SPORT REAR SEAT
  • CRUISE CONTROL
  • DOOR STITCH-IVORY
  • DOOR TRIM PANEL-LEVEL 3
  • DR CSG SOFT GRAIN CONTR STITCH
  • DRIVER - HEATED/COOLED SEAT
  • ENGINE COVER
  • ENGINE SPLASH SHIELD
  • ENGINE TORQUE-625 NEWTON METRE
  • EXHAUST PIPE EXT-R PERFORMANCE
  • FLOOR MATS-LEATHER EDGED
  • FOOT PEDAL - METALIC FINISH
  • FRT DR TRDSTRIP-POLISHED
  • FRT FENDER GILL-BRIGHT
  • GARAGE DOOR OPENER (NAS)
  • GRILLE-CHROME
  • H.D. RADIO AND SDARS
  • HEADLINING - LEATHER
  • HEADREST BADGE - R
  • HEATED STEERING WHEELS
  • HTD/P-FOLD/MEM/A-DIM/APP.LIGHT
  • I/P FACIA MONOTONE-TRUFFLE
  • IP STITCH-IVORY
  • IVORY STITCHING
  • KEYLESS ENTRY-PASSIVE
  • LEATHER FACIA/CONTRAST STITCH
  • MARKETING LEVEL 1
  • MULTI SLOT CD PLAYER
  • NAS LITERATURE PACK
  • NAVIGATION CENTER
  • NAVIGATION DISK - U.S.A.
  • PASSENGER - HEATED/COOLED SEAT
  • POWER 16-WAY DRIV SEAT ADJUST
  • POWER 16-WAY PASS SEAT ADJUST
  • PREMIUM SOUND SYSTEM
  • REAR VIEW CAMERA
  • REVERSE PARKING AID
  • RR BUMPER - R
  • SEATBELT - TRUFFLE
  • SPARE WHEEL - FULL SIZE ALLOY
  • SPEED LIMITATION-155 MPH
  • STANDARD FRONT KNUCKLE
  • STNG WHL-LEATHER R (RACING)
  • TYRE PRESSURE MONITORING SYSTM
  • USA
  • WHEEL ARCH SPATS(DNU)
  • WHEEL BADGE-BLACK/SILVER
  • LESS BREAKDOWN WARNING SIGN
  • LESS FIRST AID KIT
  • LESS GLASS BREAKAGE SENSOR
  • LESS INTERIOR CONTRAST PIPING
  • LESS SVP

Old 05-08-2017, 06:57 PM
Veteran Member

The first car (first 3 pics) is standard body work, and the second car (last 3 pics) has the Dynamic Pack. Note the additional lower side skirts and the different rear end lower body work.

Old 05-08-2017, 07:10 PM
Veteran Member

Probably much easier to see the Dynamic Pack skirts on this red car...

Old 05-08-2017, 08:11 PM

Hey guys thanks for the clarification! Good part is I still cannot get to 155 mph on my highway, or 177 mph! But either way it goes I love what I have! Carry on gents!

JagRag (05-09-2017)