XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Does anybody smoke in their car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 11:21 PM
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Does anybody smoke in their car?

The other day I saw someone in a new Tesla smoking a cigarette. I really enjoy the smell of my leather. Just can't imagine any body adulterating their premium automobile with smoke.

Old 09-26-2014, 09:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Smoked cigars in the XK every now and then. You'd never be able to tell.

Old 09-26-2014, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

Never smoked in my life.........cigarettes

Old 09-26-2014, 04:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,136 Likes on 3,382 Posts
Default Now THAT'S a smokin' XKR!

Old 09-26-2014, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Would kill your resale value for sure!

I imagine if I smoked, I would smoke in the car, at least with the top down, if only to avoid getting that nasty film all over the headliner and all of the windows.

Old 09-26-2014, 06:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

No way! Never smoked in my life and even if I did, no way I would smoke inside of my Jags.

Old 09-26-2014, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

When I was looking I had a call from a Houston dealer with a 2012 XKR in red that he just took in. We talked details and it looked like it could be a deal. At the end of the discussion he said I need to let you know there is a faint smell of smoke in the car which he smelt after a rain with the car being outside. He said he would have his detailer look at it to see if he can get it out. I told him if he can get the smell out we might be able to make a deal. He said if they could get it out he will get back to me. He never called. Now I used to smoke and quit 30 years ago and would have a cigar while playing golf so the smoke didn't bother me but it was a no sale for my bride.

Old 09-27-2014, 02:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

I paid for the car and I smoke in it.

Anyone who objects can bail at the next lights and I don't care
about resale.

The following users liked this post:
mosesbotbol (09-27-2014)
Old 09-27-2014, 06:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 164 Posts

I gave up smoking about 4 yrs ago , but yes , I always smoked in my cars ( window down & ash & butt out of the window . Strange thing was I never smoked with passengers in the car & non of my cars ever smelled like a smokers car !!

Old 09-27-2014, 06:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 345 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by plums
I paid for the car and I smoke in it.

Anyone who objects can bail at the next lights and I don't care
about resale.
Your such a sassy snapper!!

The following 2 users liked this post by Lothar52:
BruceTheQuail (09-27-2014), mosesbotbol (09-27-2014)
Old 09-27-2014, 08:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

No smoking, no eating in my 2 premium cars.

Old 09-27-2014, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by richzak
No smoking, no eating in my 2 premium cars.
Wow you are tough! The one thing that gets me is touching the windshield; outside of that or throwing up I don't care so much. Car gets washed and cleaned once a week.

Lotus does not have ash tray or cup holders, so I may not ever smoke a cigar in the Evora.

Old 09-27-2014, 11:33 AM
Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Smoking Car

Ya' know, never thought I would bother to respond on a thread like this, but....I smoke cigars, yes, in the Jag, windows open, nobody has every said it smells (and believe me, my daughter would if it did!). Just some food for thought to those of you buying used Jag (or any other car); I religiously change oil and filter myself, changed xmission, brake, and antifreeze at 40k miles, detail the inside weekly and polish it monthly. Probably someone's idea of a dream used car, very well maintained and treated nicely.

When you pass up that used (whatever), remember, that nice "never been smoked in" car owner might have beat the who out of the car, completely ignored any maintenance until it fell off or would not start, and considers parking a contact sport.

Any decent detailer (and most folks in this forum) can clean and freshen up an interior to the point where Ralph Nader could not tell if it was smoked in. but he ain't gonna fix that bent suspension tie rod or the gooey sludge at the bottom of the crankcase....

mosesbotbol (09-28-2014)
Old 09-27-2014, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by ctsemicon
Ya' know, never thought I would bother to respond on a thread like this, but....I smoke cigars, yes, in the Jag, windows open, nobody has every said it smells (and believe me, my daughter would if it did!). Just some food for thought to those of you buying used Jag (or any other car); I religiously change oil and filter myself, changed xmission, brake, and antifreeze at 40k miles, detail the inside weekly and polish it monthly. Probably someone's idea of a dream used car, very well maintained and treated nicely.

When you pass up that used (whatever), remember, that nice "never been smoked in" car owner might have beat the who out of the car, completely ignored any maintenance until it fell off or would not start, and considers parking a contact sport.

Any decent detailer (and most folks in this forum) can clean and freshen up an interior to the point where Ralph Nader could not tell if it was smoked in. but he ain't gonna fix that bent suspension tie rod or the gooey sludge at the bottom of the crankcase....
We just came back from 3 days in Charleston. Only saw and XK coupe I think on Wednesday down at the market. It figures we'd end up getting lousy weather but we stayed dry and had a good time. Stayed at the King George IV B&B. As to picking a car it is always great to get it's history so you can tell whether it is beat or not. A smoker is not a show stopper for me but my bride would pick up on it . Whatever anyone gets just enjoy the ride as it's your car and it ain't worth saving it for someone else. Life is to short.

Old 09-27-2014, 01:55 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

My wife does the E-cig. Doesn't really bother me.

Old 09-27-2014, 08:00 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
maybe the best pic of an XK

Stuart S (09-27-2014)
Old 09-27-2014, 09:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Originally Posted by Five Speed
I gave up smoking about 4 yrs ago , but yes , I always smoked in my cars ( window down & ash & butt out of the window . Strange thing was I never smoked with passengers in the car & non of my cars ever smelled like a smokers car !!
As per the above for me, apart fro mthe quitting thing...lol

Yes I smoke in my cars, window down and never use the ashtray, ash / butt always out the window.
Cleaning the car inside n out regularly, use of air fresheners and AC bombs etc always smells great, never any complaints about it smelling of smoke

Originally Posted by ctsemicon
Ya' know, never thought I would bother to respond on a thread like this, but....I smoke cigars, yes, in the Jag, windows open, nobody has every said it smells ..........

Again, as above for me really, but each to their own

Old 09-27-2014, 10:03 PM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

10 years ago I was in a very nasty car accident, I was lighting a smoke and did not see a car pull out of a driveway in front and stop in the middle of the road, to turn into a side street. I saw the car only a second before impact & hit it at about 70 km/h (40mph or so). The skid marks from my car started 3 meters (10 feet) before the point of impact.

It was a big hit, all the airbags went off & I still have a scar on my left arm from where the airbag ripped the skin off.

After that I was very reluctant to smoke in a car again, actually I didn't for many years.

When we had the X-Type in Switzerland I never smoked in it once.

When we moved back to Australia I had a junker pickup, I smoked like a chimney in that & even went out of my way to ash on the floor. LOL

The S-Type I have now is a "smoking car" only because the interior was so rough & stinky from the previous owner, that cigarette stench is an improvement...

I will sometimes smoke in the XJR, but very rarely and only the Double-Filter Mini Moods which don't leave a heavy smell & are quick to burn. Nobody ever commented on the XJR smelling like smoke, with all the leather usually it smells like the drawing room of an old Manor house...so maybe the cigar smell goes with that...

I don't particularly like smoking in cars, probably because of the accident, but even in other peoples cars I am reluctant to light up...

Old 09-27-2014, 10:44 PM
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Never have smoked and neither has the wife. We don't eat in any of our cars either. My best friend's wife dumped a "big gulp" by accident into her Mercedes audio system several years ago, and the damage it caused just reaffirmed our position.

Old 09-27-2014, 11:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Whatever anyone gets just enjoy the ride as it's your car and it ain't worth saving it for someone else. Life is to short.
Exactly. I never understand those people who put down rubber mats on the first day of ownership and never see or touch the factory carpet during the entire time they own the car.

I would smoke less in the car if I could smoke in restaurants and bars.

There was a time when every desk had a huge clean ashtray serviced by the cleaning crew every night. Smokers and non-smokers got along. Newspapers and memos laid out by a secretary before your arrival. People felt secure in their careers. WTH happened?

Quick Reply: Does anybody smoke in their car?