XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

End of CPO

Old 06-23-2019, 08:28 PM
Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts
Default End of CPO

Yes, I know this issue has been somewhat beaten to death in previous posts, but since no two (or three or ten) situations are the same, indulge me.
My CPO comes to an end late August. I will bring it in for a thorough once over before that date. The beast has 33K on the clock, and 13K on a JLR
replacement engine. The new engine has had some plastic coolant piping replaced, and that is the extant of repairs since. The Diff has the Jag cold
start left turn groan, which JLR claims is normal. It's been documented for future ref. Is this a candidate for further coverage? Some days I think yes,
some days I think no. My dealer is by dealer standards less evil than some (they replaced all my sticky buttons under the CPO coverage even though
corporate said no) and they are convenient (next door to my office). Thoughts? And thanks.

Old 06-23-2019, 09:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,132 Likes on 3,379 Posts

Assume that a 3-year aftermarket extended service contract will cost $5,400, or $150/month. Instead of buying it, put that $150 in the bank every month to fund future repairs. Odds are that you'll have money left in the bank after 3 years. That's what companies that sell extended service contracts do, and they're in business to make money. Self-insure the risk and save money.

My $5,400 premium was a guess. Your actual cost may vary. To compare apples-to-apples make sure that the quoted plan has no deductibles or copays, and be sure to read the exclusions and limitations. Beware of vague and ambiguous provisions, because they enable the Administrator to weasel out of paying claims.

There is no free lunch. Many Forum members will rave about their extended service contract and how much was covered in excess of their cost. They are the exception. Otherwise, that company would lose money and be out of business.

Unless, of course, they make it up in volume.

Old 06-23-2019, 10:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Every time this subject comes up there is one thing missing. Why don't those who have had after market warranty's name the company that you used and what the coverage was. How about the plus/minus of the policy so others can see if they want to use that company.

The following users liked this post:
GGG (06-24-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 05:45 AM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Every time this subject comes up there is one thing missing. Why don't those who have had after market warranty's name the company that you used and what the coverage was. How about the plus/minus of the policy so others can see if they want to use that company.
I agree up to a point.

Comparatives recommended/not recommended or good value/overpriced are acceptable but just as we don't tolerate "dealer bashing" on the forum, I don't expect to see anyone airing grievances that are more appropriately resolved in the courts.

Graham

Old 06-24-2019, 08:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Buddhaboy,

The market value is the smartest mind when it comes to determining risk.

The difference is value between an in-warranty xkr and an out-warranty xkr seems to be what it is for any other car.
A Maserati for instance is drastically lower once the liability shifts to owner.

In your specific case that risk has been further mitigated as the worse that could happen has happened. It has to be the worse because if every car blew an engine, a warranty company would not go near it (regardless of premium).

Last edited by Queen and Country; 06-24-2019 at 10:59 AM.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 651 Likes on 477 Posts

This is a case of figuring out certain aspects about yourself.

There are two aspects:

The capability aspect.

The emotional aspect

The latter has to do with which options give you peace of mind, and there is value in that.

The former has to do with whether or not you are capable either from personal skill or financial ability to deal with what may arise.

In my case, peace of mind is from not having to go through corporate layers to possibly get things done.

In my case, if my car vaporized, I am able to replace it.

For me, peace of mind and capability lie in the path of no aftermarket warranty.

This is a decision where you need to know yourself, know your situation, then evaluate "the enemy"; you plan and act accordingly.

Old 06-24-2019, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,164 Likes on 2,334 Posts

They're not for me, but I get the appeal for some. You're happy with your dealer. I would ask them. Your dealer is your friend in this case I think. I know dealerships also sell aftermarket warranties and get a commission, but would also support one you buy independent from them. Remember, the onus is on them to prove out the defect so coverage kicks in. They want the claim approved too. They want your business and they will advocate for you. They know how to submit a proper claim.

Old 06-24-2019, 08:43 PM
Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Thanks for all the thoughtful responses. Q&C, absolutely, though my intent was to keep this one around for a while as I very much enjoy my time behind the wheel and actually like washing it more than myself. Market value is not an issue.

Tervuren, yes, of course. While I do less now than I used to, I have the tools and knowledge to attack most issues, but not always the time. Fortunately, paying someone else to do my dirty work is not an issue or a burden.

Sean, very good point. I've listened to my service manager's life story, so we share an odd kinship. He believes I know more than I might know, and I believe that when he fetches the head honcho to listen to the tcking time bomb, it's out of
a mutual respect. If I can squeeze two more years out of the corporate overseers for the cost of a few oil changes I'd consider that a reasonable bargain. Otherwise we'll take our chances until the Mark Zero hits the streets.

cheers

Last edited by buddhaboy; 06-24-2019 at 09:10 PM.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:15 PM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

Years ago, I had an XK8 and I added the warranty from Geico fulfilled by Warranty Gold.

Coverage was meh as everything was considered wear and tear. The warranty was transferrable once, so it did help me sell the car.