XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Eyeing 2008 XK and have some questions

Old 03-25-2011, 02:08 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Eyeing 2008 XK and have some questions

Found a pristine 2008 XK convertible with 35K miles and one owner. Its being sold by a high end dealer near Chicago. The factory warranty is good till Nov 2011 so I still have some protection should anything go wrong in the short term. and it has brand new tires. I bought my 07 Z06 from them and based on that experience plus their reputation I confident the car is as described. But I have some questions so I can be an informed buyer.

1. What kind of oil comes from the factory?
2. How difficult are oil changes?
3. How long should the brake pads last?
4. Does the drop top have an emergency method to raise it should the power/system fail?
5. How do I determine what Nav disc is in the car?
6. I know there has been recall for this vehicle (TPMS) where there any more I'm unaware of?

Now for the BIG question, given the car is as pristine as its described and shown in photo's what kinds of things should I ask the dealer or look for or test/operate when I meet it face to face?

Thanks in advance

Tom

Old 03-25-2011, 03:33 PM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

1. What kind of oil comes from the factory?
Not sure on factory oil but would recommend synthetic...
2. How difficult are oil changes?
Like most cars...you should be able to do in well under an hour (I can do in about 2 beers time :-)...btw I drink fast...
3. How long should the brake pads last?
Depends on diving style. Pads on Jaguars can go pretty fast if you are very aggressive.
4. Does the drop top have an emergency method to raise it should the power/system fail?
Yup...and a rip snorting pain in the butt. Only had to use when top went wacko...I still have a twitch from that...
5. How do I determine what Nav disc is in the car?
Others may know better (maybe on display?) but I would just pull out disk in player in trunk.
6. I know there has been recall for this vehicle (TPMS) where there any more I'm unaware of?
Not sure about TPMS recall...maybe others can elaborate. I do know Jaguar says don't use metal caps as will corrode on aluminum stems (sorta makes sense)...I don't believe this is a real big worry for Texas where I am but maybe up north with salt and such.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:07 PM

This 08 XK has two major options I can't find much info on, namely specific content. They are:

1. Luxury Package

2. Premium Sound Package

So what's included in these options?

Thanks

Tom

BTW I just struck the deal and I should have it within the next 2 weeks

Old 03-26-2011, 12:53 PM
Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts

Tom,

Here are the details of each package:

The Luxury Package for the XK ($3,300) adds 16-way power seats with adjustable bolsters, soft-grain leather interior, heated leather steering wheel, leather gearshift knob, power-fold exterior mirrors, and 19-inch alloy wheels. A similar package is also available for the XKR ($2,500).

The Premium Sound Package ($1,875) comprises an eight-speaker, 525-watt Alpine Premium Dolby surround sound system with Sirius satellite radio (subscription sold separately). Instead of the standard Alpine 160- watt system.

Regarding the oil, Castrol 5-30 (Dino) is recomended.

Good luck with the purchase the 08'.

Old 03-26-2011, 04:55 PM

Nevette thanks for the info. You mean Jaguar doesn't use synthetic motor oil? I use synthetic in EVERY internal combustion engine I own including my 30 year old Sears snow blower. The dealer I'm buying it from confirmed they used synthetic so I'm a happy camper and will continue to do so.

BTW how many quarts and is changing the oil on the XK an easy DIY job or are there any special tricks I need to be aware of?

Tom

Old 03-27-2011, 11:37 AM
Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts

Tom,
Here is some info regarding oil: 2007 XK - Oil specifications - oil does not exist?

Due to health issues I can't change my own oil anymore but I'm sure someone will let you know how hard it is to do.

Old 03-27-2011, 06:27 PM
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

My 2007 came from the factory with a synthetic blend. i use Royal Purple(synthetic) on every oil change!

Old 03-27-2011, 07:11 PM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Tom
I just bought a 2008 XK conv with both those packages. I really love the extra stitching and leather dashboard and all the little extras. Although they cost a lot new, I doubt they add much to the price of a three or more year old car so you want to have them. Best of Luck in your decision. I am in heaven right now with my purchase. I can't wait for my next drive.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Moe-she-sa
My 2007 came from the factory with a synthetic blend.
Then its safe to use Mobil 1. I couldn't imagine ANY car built by ANY manufacture in the last 15 years that couldn't safely use Mobil 1. The oil caps on all my vette's since the late 80's all indicated I should use Mobil 1 and in fact there was a decal under the hood that mentioned Mobil 1 is the factory fill.

I would have thought Jaguar would have something similar under the hood.

Thanks

Tom

Old 03-28-2011, 12:35 PM
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Good Luck with the car.

I bought my 2008 XK Convertible a few months ago with the exact option packages as yours. Had about 31,000 on the clock at the time.

Bottom line, except for an electrical gremlin here and there (easily fixed) and the occasional insatiable need to stomp on the gas until the G force pushes me well back into the heated leather seat, the car has been the most amazing vehicle I have ever owned/driven.

BTW, my XK needed brakes on ALL FOUR wheels when I bought it. You might want to have them checked out.

Once again, good luck with the car. Get ready to be NOTICED everywhere you go...

Old 03-28-2011, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Stillwaters
BTW, my XK needed brakes on ALL FOUR wheels when I bought it. You might want to have them checked out.

Once again, good luck with the car. Get ready to be NOTICED everywhere you go...
I asked the dealer about the condition of the pads and he said they were at least 50% gone. Best deal I could negotiate was cost on parts and labor. So the car will have new brakes upon delivery, he estimated changing just the pads at $240 (parts+ his labor) I told him if ANYTHING doesn't look right (like rotors) to replace everything as long as they are that far along and he's cutting me a break.

The Jaguar, at least in my mind offers a far more stately, serene and up scale driving experience I feel my wife and I have earned.

Tom

Last edited by TomServo; 03-30-2011 at 04:47 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,936 Posts

You will find the Jaguar is more discreet. A car for a gentleman of taste and discrimination, no less !

If I was buying a convertible the first thing I would test would be the hood or whatever you call the drop-top in the US. Lets face it, this has to work, it is the key feature !

Old 03-29-2011, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
You will find the Jaguar is more discreet. A car for a gentleman of taste and discrimination, no less !

If I was buying a convertible the first thing I would test would be the hood or whatever you call the drop-top in the US. Lets face it, this has to work, it is the key feature !
Agree completely. I do feel safe knowing this dealers reputation and the fact there are 8 months left on the factory warranty. But after looking at the Owners Manual manual procedures for handling a malfunctioning top it does make one think that if it failed during a rain storm the interior would be ruined before you get get the top back up.

Tom

Old 03-31-2011, 05:10 PM
Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

By all means use the synethic if it came with it. Mine did not and does not state to use it in the owners manual or online. So I stuck with what I run in the rest of the fleet. Very easy to change once you remove the under tray. Make sure you get the oil filter tight. I changed oil in mine and dad in all three of his and all 4 leaked without being super tight.