XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Fastest Jag ever

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 04:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fastest Jag ever

I took my 2008 XKR to Jaguar of Seattle to flip out the adjustable headlight module as I was getting tired of the blinking light. That may have been a mistake. The guys in the shop were seemingly able to program the module, but it did not calibrate, or so they tell me. Their efforts, however, had some interesting side effects: The digital readouts for odometer, average speed, fuel consumption are going totally nuts; my average speed is 999 mph (there's only room for three numbers, otherwise I would probably go faster than Mach 1.5), I probably have the most fuel-efficient combustion engine on the road at 99.9 miles/gal, and my odometer has gone from the 72K when I took the car into the shop to 260K in about two months (not surprising when you're going 999 mph, I guess). As a matter of fact, the odometer keeps going at record speed even when I'm at a complete stop. Radio reception sucks now and I cannot establish a bluetooth connection anymore. Jag of Seattle is supposedly consulting with some outfit on the East Coast to diagnose the problem, but I'm wondering if anyone in this forum has an idea what the problem may be. Or am I the first one with this problem???
Appreciate any input,
KH

Old 07-24-2018, 04:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

Nice, so they nuked the cluster doing a reprogram... Seems the most plausible item since the cluster is the brains of the chassis.

Old 07-24-2018, 05:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 651 Likes on 477 Posts

Wow, have not had this problem.

The odometer issue seems like it would be serious to potential future value.

In Need for Speed III I edited a car to have negative braking and negative friction, the brakes couldn't hold it on the start line, it bounced around the walls at warp speed and finished the race before the count down finished.

It credited me with a negative lap time.

Closest experience I've ever had.

Old 07-24-2018, 10:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,055 Likes on 671 Posts

Originally Posted by Tervuren
Wow, have not had this problem.

The odometer issue seems like it would be serious to potential future value.
That's what I was thinking, that they should have given you a loaner car and fixed it right away rather than letting you drive around like that. My brother's wife back in the 90s was driving a Ford Windstar minivan (no snickering from the audience please), the odometer failed and they replaced the cluster with the mileage reading zero and a decal on the door frame indicating the mileage when it was replaced. It was apparently a design flaw as it failed again and then a third time but by then they'd come up with a brass gear to replace a plastic one. But each time it failed, they drove that van around for a longer time before getting it fixed. When they went to trade it in, most new car dealers wouldn't even offer them a trade-in allowance on it because they couldn't reconcile the mileage with the records. It was barely four years old but their best option was a private party sale at a heavily discounted price for having to check off "unknown mileage" on a title application form. They actually finally sort of lucked out when somebody rear-ended that minivan bad enough to total it. Their insurance either didn't check or didn't care (they'd insured it since new anyway) and just gave them book value on it, no questions asked. Hopefully somewhere in all that computer madness, your correct mileage is being recorded and its only the display that's wrong. If not, I think once they get it fixed, you need to have a talk with the dealer about some compensation for loss of value or at least a promise that they'll give you normal book value when you do finally bring it back to trade it in. Hope it all works out for you with a minimum of stress.

Old 07-25-2018, 08:03 AM
Received 247 Likes on 175 Posts

I believe the flux capacitor has been activated.

Old 07-25-2018, 08:38 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by 110reef
i believe the flux capacitor has been activated.
thats delorean, jaguar and land rover use warp drives

Old 07-25-2018, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 264 Likes on 145 Posts

Why am I not surprised Jaguar of Seattle returned your car to you unrepaired? #BeenThereDoneThat
Get the service manager involved. Don’t trust the service writer will put much effort into your problem or work hard to ensure you are a satisfied customer. And since you’re having a bad experience rather than a good one, don’t expect an invitation to provide feedback on your experience.

The following users liked this post:
XKRCat (07-26-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 04:38 PM
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

That sounds similar to an experience I had on a Chrysler 300C a few years back. During some scheduled maintenance, the shop decided to update my firmware (and if you've ever had your firmware updated, you know how painful that can be). When the gave me the keys, I started the engine only to watch all the gauges and lights go bonkers. Turns out, they tried to update with a version of the firmware that is exclusive to law enforcement vehicles, which are equipped with some mechanism to accept it, whereas civilian model cars are not so equipped. End result - they had to replace the gauge cluster because they couldn't back out the software change or overwrite it. As someone who works with software all day, it never ceases to amaze me how easy it is for a trained user to do something utterly foolish . . . usually at someone else's expense.

Old 07-26-2018, 11:43 AM

The flux capacitator requires 88mph. I'm doing 999. :-)

Old 07-26-2018, 11:47 AM

I checked the trunk. No warp core. Besides, the guys at the shop can't figure out how to program a small Hella module, how would they control a matter/antimatter chamber and where would they find the dylithium chrystals????? Not very likely.

The following users liked this post:
XJDanny (07-27-2018)
Old 07-26-2018, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Ranchero50
Nice, so they nuked the cluster doing a reprogram... Seems the most plausible item since the cluster is the brains of the chassis.
I think you're right. But I don't understand how the bluetooth and radio come into the picture. There's got to be a communications or LAN module (whatever it's called) somewhere that's also no longer working.
Thanks for your input!

Old 07-28-2018, 07:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 264 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by XKRCat
I checked the trunk. No warp core. Besides, the guys at the shop can't figure out how to program a small Hella module, how would they control a matter/antimatter chamber and where would they find the dylithium chrystals????? Not very likely.
Hello, fellow Trekkie! :-)

Since we both live in the PNW, if you haven’t already, you should consider joining the Cascadia Cats (see the PNW section in these forums) on a drive. Lots of nice people with XKR’s and other Jags. The next drive will likely be in September from Monroe to Leavenworth. Although I don’t think any of us could keep up with you since Seattle Jaguar installed a warp drive in your car.

Check it out!
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/us-northwest-64/

Last edited by XJDanny; 07-28-2018 at 08:01 AM.