XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Finished detailing! YouTube link

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 01:27 PM
Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Finished detailing! YouTube link

Detailed walk around and exhaust sounds at end!

What do people think? Taken a year or two but pleased with the final results.

Now also put in the new classifieds section (uk car), maybe moving with the times and going hybrid? Might miss that exhaust though!

cheers guys

Last edited by Swisstone; 06-23-2019 at 01:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
peterv8 (06-24-2019)
Old 06-23-2019, 03:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Originally Posted by Swisstone
maybe moving with the times and going hybrid? Might miss that exhaust though!
It looks spectacular. Someone who hasnt gone off life altogether will enjoy it immensely.
Noble of you to pass the torch.

Old 06-23-2019, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
It looks spectacular. Someone who hasnt gone off life altogether will enjoy it immensely.
Noble of you to pass the torch.
Many thanks! Yes I have spent too much time on her but I'm not happy until it's as perfect as it can be! It's a curse!!
Never want to use it in case it gets dirty lol.
Not convinced myself fully to part with it just yet unless I get a good offer so a good place to be I guess.

Old 06-23-2019, 04:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,164 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Beautiful. It would be helpful to others (or maybe just me) if you gave details, especially the exterior. What products did you use, in what order etc. Really nice work.

Old 06-23-2019, 04:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,888 Likes on 1,282 Posts

maybe moving with the times and going hybrid
So, how long were you inhaling the cleaning/polishing chemicals?
Are you nuts?
I can just hear the kid in the background, with the dejected look, 'but Dad, you can't sell it, its supposed to be my car in a couple years'.

Queen and Country (06-23-2019)
Old 06-23-2019, 04:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Not convinced myself fully to part with it just yet
That was my hint, you may not be factoring how much of you is invested in the car and what a shame that you arent the one to be the beneficiary of that.
I have given specific instruction to the closest to me to euthanize me if end up doing something outside a sound mind, giving into ubiquity, especially that of a hybrid is on top of that list.

The choice really is between drudgery and something that helps you escape it. If someone was to give you an extraordinary sum, it would only prove that in spades.

Old 06-24-2019, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by kj07xk
So, how long were you inhaling the cleaning/polishing chemicals?
Are you nuts?
I can just hear the kid in the background, with the dejected look, 'but Dad, you can't sell it, its supposed to be my car in a couple years'.
Ha ha, yes the chemicals must have got to me!
The thing is, i have a daily driver 4 series and I'm finding I hardly use the jag. I'm toying with the idea of one car that's reasonable to run as a daily driver but has the grin factor? A friend has an I8 and I like the radical super car looks so maybe the solution? Could be wrong but unless you do it, you never know!

Affording it always the problem so may end up sticking with it for a while!

Old 06-24-2019, 03:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 469 Posts

Superb grooming effort . stunner . looks fantastic .
but an i8 over this come on ?
if you like the siren of the eaton supercharger screaming on top of your jag V8 .
and you must , as you bought an R
then i want to see your face when you floor the i8 making its computer fan sound's .
the cars sound is half the experience . yours sounds nice btw.
EV's, thats for the future, and the future never comes .

Old 06-24-2019, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by Datsports
Superb grooming effort . stunner . looks fantastic .
but an i8 over this come on ?
if you like the siren of the eaton supercharger screaming on top of your jag V8 .
and you must , as you bought an R
then i want to see your face when you floor the i8 making its computer fan sound's .
the cars sound is half the experience . yours sounds nice btw.
EV's, thats for the future, and the future never comes .
Thanks!
i do agree with what you are saying, problem I've got is if I used it every day, it would cost me a fortune with the mileage I do and i find I hardly use it unfortunately.
Move not actually driven an i8 yet so will have to see what I think in comparison! I agree, the sound is part of the experience. In the uk I'm paying high road tax for doing hardly any miles where the i8 is free.
Got to weigh it all up as the i8's certainly arnt cheap.

Old 06-24-2019, 04:07 AM
GGG
Received 16,767 Likes on 12,155 Posts

Looks absolutely superb.

You're twenty one years younger than me. By the time you reach my age you'll regret not using it when you had the opportunity because driving and cars will have changed drastically by then.

Graham

Queen and Country (06-24-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Sean W
Beautiful. It would be helpful to others (or maybe just me) if you gave details, especially the exterior. What products did you use, in what order etc. Really nice work.
Sean,
I have actually tried a lot of different products after the initial cutting of the paint to sort any imperfections/swirls/ghosting etc but i was fortunate that with it being really low mileage, there was hardly any stone chips anyway and it has been looked after.

The front bumper/fender always take the brunt of chips so i had that removed and a very professional paint job done but wasn't cheap. It wasn't that bad but i wanted it perfect! A good time to also get the side gill/vents colour coded and the new rear RS spoiler. The lower rear diffuser is carbon fibre so didn't need that doing but the side spats could also be done.

I looked into ceramic coatings but as it doesn't go out in the wet, i didn't see the point and i wanted a deep glossy shine so i went down the traditional wax protection route.
However, once the wheels where refurbished professionally, i did coat then in Gtechniq C5 ceramic wheel armour to keep them looking great. Also did the callipers and the Alcon disk centres.

Started with Autoglym clay bar and lubicant to get any deep oxidents trapped in the paint.

Meguiars paint gleaner.

Variety of hex logic cutting pads starting with orange and going up to black finishing pad with a GMC multi action orbital polisher.
Chemical guys VSS cutting compound and polish seems as good as any but tried a few. It does the job without being to harsh.

I originally used autoglym HD wax then super resin polish (old school) but i found the Sonax Hydrosilex stuff is great for the hydrophobic job without going down the ceramic route.
I'm quite a fan of the Sonax stuff and also use their quick detailer now.

Underneath, also rust proofed and surface dressed. The back-box painted in zinc.

Got a nice new set of the Dunlop Sport Maxx rubber to complement those wheels.

Doing the LED rear light conversion and exhaust also worth doing
Rear boot/trunk jaguar plinth hydro dipped in carbon fibre to match.

Taken hundreds of hours and a fair amount of money lol.

Sean W (06-24-2019)
Old 07-07-2019, 06:38 AM

Bit of a contentious issue but do people think £22k is a reasonable price? I guess markets in different areas vary quite a bit but sometimes it's worth paying at the start for what you want? Maybe spent to much on it? I guess properly advertise it and gauge by the response to whether it's a fair price and it wouldn't stop me making an offer if a serious buyer.

To me, condition and how it's been looked after is everything but how much of a premium is that worth and the fact that there just aren't many really low mileage ones on offer?

I've looked at so many cars that need a significant amount of money spending very soon like tyres, brakes etc etc.

Anyone on on here in the UK?