Sponsored by: DashLynx

Fluttering sound

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 09:07 AM
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Fluttering sound

Hey guys and gals,
I have an 07 XK Coupe
Driving 40 mph or more, there is a fluttering sound coming from the right rear window. Sounds like a small piece of string taped to the outside of the car and fluttering. I assume it is vortices hitting the gap where the rear window (Hatch) meets the body line, as there is a small gap.
Anyone have this issue?

Last edited by jbretthorton; 06-02-2017 at 10:07 AM.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:29 AM
Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

Antenna wind noise?

The following users liked this post:
jbretthorton (06-02-2017)
Old 06-02-2017, 10:07 AM

Guess it could be, But does not change whether the Antenna is up or down.

Old 06-02-2017, 02:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 549 Likes on 380 Posts

I have a slight whistle on the passenger side window at about 70mph and above. Air is getting in somewhere I assume but everything looks tight. I haven't really tried to figure out where yet so I am not much help

Old 06-03-2017, 03:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

Have an auto shop pump smoke into the cabin, it will escape anywhere there is a leak. No, the smoke leaves no residue or smell, it's made to do this.
The cost is minimal, like $30 or so.

Last edited by Cee Jay; 06-03-2017 at 03:26 PM. Reason: add cost
The following users liked this post:
shemp (06-03-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 07:01 AM

Interesting note on this.
I had the front windshield replaced last week and was told by the tech, the prior windshield was not set correctly by being to high (Did not press down into the channel enough) apparently this was causing a turbulence Jag did not intend.

Old 12-06-2017, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

To isolate the source, use masking tape on the suspect area and then go for a drive. Repeat until the noise is gone. When you find the source, examine the rubber seal for damage or poor fit. Replace or repair or shim as necessary.

Years ago, I had a chronic wind noise from the driver's door on my previous 2007 Lexus LS460 that drove me nuts. The dealer was never able to fix it, even after replacing all of the weatherstripping and installing new double glazed glass on all 4 side windows. I found the source with masking tape - it was the base of the driver's side mirror - and then carefully applied a bead of clear silicone caulk around the base, which stppped the wind noise.

The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart S:
Cee Jay (12-06-2017), shemp (12-06-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
............Years ago, I had a chronic wind noise from the driver's door on my previous 2007 Lexus LS460 that drove me nuts. The dealer was never able to fix it, even after replacing all of the weatherstripping and installing new double glazed glass on all 4 side windows. I found the source with masking tape - it was the base of the driver's side mirror - and then carefully applied a bead of clear silicone caulk around the base, which stppped the wind noise.
My wife has a 2015 Lexus RX350, and she has a wind noise from around the windshield somewhere, drives her nuts too. She had the dealer look at it but surprise, didn't find anything. I'll have her tape hers up. Course, she rarely drives it anyway as it's her "fun" car. She has a hybrid Fusion for commute.

Old 12-06-2017, 11:14 AM
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
To isolate the source, use masking tape on the suspect area and then go for a drive. Repeat until the noise is gone. When you find the source, examine the rubber seal for damage or poor fit. Replace or repair or shim as necessary.

Years ago, I had a chronic wind noise from the driver's door on my previous 2007 Lexus LS460 that drove me nuts. The dealer was never able to fix it, even after replacing all of the weatherstripping and installing new double glazed glass on all 4 side windows. I found the source with masking tape - it was the base of the driver's side mirror - and then carefully applied a bead of clear silicone caulk around the base, which stppped the wind noise.

I have a very annoying wind noise coming from the driver side windows somewhere. Not sure if its between the two or sounds more like top rear corner of the front. Had a similar, albeit much, much less noise in my CLK. Was told its caused by shutting the door by pushing on the window instead of the door so I always made a conscious effort to close door by pushing on the handle (to eliminate dirty fingerprints). Anyway, seems damage has already been done by previous owner. Hopefully that masking tape idea will help to locate the precise area and then next step would be the actual fix dependent on location.

Old 12-06-2017, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
My wife has a 2015 Lexus RX350, and she has a wind noise from around the windshield somewhere, drives her nuts too. She had the dealer look at it but surprise, didn't find anything. I'll have her tape hers up. Course, she rarely drives it anyway as it's her "fun" car. She has a hybrid Fusion for commute.
What is it with wives and the Jellybean RX350? My wife had a one, too (a 2009), and loved it but I could never find a comfortable setting for either the driver's or passenger seat. Designed for women, not for men. No wind noise in her RX and no problems with it but not for me.

The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart S:
Cee Jay (12-06-2017), ralphwg (12-07-2017)
Old 12-08-2017, 02:25 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe worth mentioning...

I had a strange, subtle noise emanating from what seemed to be the back of the right rear window on my coupe. I eventually identified it as the NAV drive running. It is located behind the right rear seat and was making a bit of a fluttering noise as the head was searching the NAV disc.

Am not certain, but I believe the DVD drive is always running whether you are using navigation or not.