XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Fuel additives?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 12:42 PM
Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Fuel additives?

Since I'm a Newbie jaguar/XKR owner, 2011 convertible, I was wondering if it's a good idea to add a can of Techron, or one of the other fuel additives, to an occasional tank of gas to help keep injectors clean? In the past I've used it on other cars, seemed to help. Any thoughts on the subject?

The following users liked this post:
JagRag (08-14-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

I use Techron once or twice a year without ever an issue.

MartynL (08-11-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Techron excellent idea
I would advise against others.

Take note that you are going to be diluting oil so, change the oil after 3 bottles.
Or you can double up a month before the oil change.

Shell gasoline's 93 has a very good additive in it- but its more expensive in the long run than techron, but more convenient and there is no need to worry about pacing the dosage

MartynL (08-11-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 12:55 PM

I may try and go the Shell gas route, more convenient than adding cans. same with my other cars. Thanks.

Old 08-11-2017, 05:53 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by MartynL
I may try and go the Shell gas route, more convenient than adding cans. same with my other cars. Thanks.
Save your money. The days when pump gas needed 'help' are long gone. Jag specifically cautions against using additives in the fuel or oil.

I know of no fuel brand that does not already contain more than enough additives in the correct amounts to consistently ward off potential issues. More is not better but just represents wasted money and illustrates the power of marketing.

The much promoted Top Tier marketing scheme was subjected to long term test and was found to have minimal or no advantage even in the worst possible scenario.

The following 3 users liked this post by Mikey:
GreyXK (08-14-2017), JagRag (08-14-2017), MartynL (08-12-2017)
Old 08-12-2017, 07:12 AM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
Save your money. The days when pump gas needed 'help' are long gone. Jag specifically cautions against using additives in the fuel or oil.

I know of no fuel brand that does not already contain more than enough additives in the correct amounts to consistently ward off potential issues. More is not better but just represents wasted money and illustrates the power of marketing.

The much promoted Top Tier marketing scheme was subjected to long term test and was found to have minimal or no advantage even in the worst possible scenario.
As you can see not everyone has the same answer. I also use Techron and can tell you it won't hurt and may even help cars with a decent amount of fuel injection detergent cleaning. My 2011 XK has direct injection and I hear these are prone to carbon build up too. If you are fortunate enough to get ethanol free gas from Shell, so much the better for your car. If you are stateside, Costco sells Techron in the long black bottle by the 6 pack for around 20 bucks USD. I use this faithfully (1 bottle every 5000 miles or once yearly) in each of my new and older cars. I have never had any fuel injector issues over 25 years of usage.
In closing, we can't always count on getting great fuel out of the gas pump. Techron helps moderate this issue.

MartynL (08-12-2017)
Old 08-12-2017, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by robtroxel
My 2011 XK has direct injection and I hear these are prone to carbon build up too.
Not according to field results to date. Injectors issues are almost unheard of, unlike Some other OEMS using DI. It is notable that Jag has never endorsed the Top Tier marketing system, unlike some OEMs whose engines do suffer contamination problems.

If you are fortunate enough to get ethanol free gas from Shell, so much the better for your car.
Let's not drag out the ethanol dead horse issue for another beating, it has nothing to do with type or volume of additives.

Costco sells Techron in the long black bottle by the 6 pack for around 20 bucks USD. I use this faithfully (1 bottle every 5000 miles or once yearly) in each of my new and older cars. I have never had any fuel injector issues over 25 years of usage.
I've been driving FI equipped vehicles longer than that, have never used one drop of supplementary additive and have never had a moments problem. It's pretty difficult to state that they help or are required.

In closing, we can't always count on getting great fuel out of the gas pump. Techron helps moderate this issue.
We can beat this other myth another day. There's actually more bad fuel inadvertently sold by high volume big brand stations (by %) than the mom and pop shops were were brought up to fear and avoid.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mikey:
davchr (08-12-2017), MartynL (08-12-2017)
Old 08-12-2017, 08:06 AM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I believe we agree that the fuel we get isn't always consistant in purity. Techron give me piece of mind to help mediate that. The rest is up to each driver on just what is best. Seems like we can get "proof" to support both sides of an opinion on the internet these days. Your thoughts are appreciated but I will continue with Techron.

MartynL (08-12-2017)
Old 08-12-2017, 09:18 AM

Thanks to all who contributed regarding additives. Fuel consistency problems is something that's hard to control. I had used Techron and ethanol-free gas for years in my old 560SL and it helped keep the injectors clean as they tended to be problematic. The shop that serviced my SL for years recommends using Shell gas. All modern fuels have some degree of detergents, don't know if Shell is actually superior. Since I have to buy gas somewhere, will probably go for Shell and see how it works out. The odometer in my '11 XKR just rolled over to 21,000 miles and engine runs great. Love my XKR!

Old 08-12-2017, 09:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

I'm with Mikey on this. It's 'Snake Oil' anymore. I've never had an injector or carb problem that was directly fuel related. Back when I parted cars out even the ones where I had to cut trees down to free them would run again with some fresh fuel.

The following 4 users liked this post by Ranchero50:
Blues (01-15-2022), davchr (08-12-2017), JagRag (08-14-2017), MartynL (08-12-2017)
Old 08-12-2017, 09:53 AM
Rey
Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

Hyundai has a direct injected 5.0 liter V8 of 420/429hp, very similar in power characteristics to Jaguars NA V8.. Hyundai recommends using a Hyundai-branded fuel additive periodically. It is Techron with a Hyundai label/price. Chevron produces Techron, and advertises that small amounts of Techron are added to Chevron pump gasoline.

The following 2 users liked this post by Rey:
MartynL (08-12-2017), robtroxel (08-12-2017)
Old 08-12-2017, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member
Default Use Techron

Allow me to explain why you should use Techron and add it separately.

Techron has universally been accepted as the detergent that works. That's why its in many brands of gasoline.

Unfortunately its strength is its weakness.

It works because it can clean like many other things- but is unique in being able to survive the combustion cycle. Oil for example, does not clean your piston heads, and even if it could it would burn in the combustion chamber and create buildup. Now because Techron can survive it can accumulate.

So if they used Techron in the strength that actually allows it to clean the piston heads the following would happen: the guy that drives 1000miles a month, would see cleaner pistons and more power. The guy that drives 5000 miles roundtrip NY to CA would endup with 1quart extra oil in the crankcase. And he would sue one of the wealthiest companies in the world.

So they have to use a very safe and conservative amount. And if you only drive few miles a year, like we XK owners do, you are not getting the same benefit as the guy putting 15k miles a year.

And because they have reduced efficiency- they call it a fuel system cleaner and valve cleaner. It can be the best thing to clean piston heads and the crankcase.

Do you need it?
I have never seen an engine that I have taken apart where things were things were as clean as they should be. In fact I have a very unique example. One engine that has 8 injectors mounted in the intake manifold, basically its like throttle body injection, only x8, was one of the filthiest power-robbing things I have ever seen, baked on fuel deposits that changed the physical dimensions of the intake! And I had used only name brand gasoline.

Will Techron be enough- who knows, It better than nothing.
I think the only argument I have seen here is- you could save $1.20 per fillup by using something cheaper. I totally respect that, I know some folks who will drive 20miles roundtrip to save $1.20.

Last edited by Queen and Country; 08-12-2017 at 10:08 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Queen and Country:
MartynL (08-12-2017), pk4144 (08-13-2017), robtroxel (08-12-2017)
Old 08-12-2017, 11:35 AM
Received 214 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country

So if they used Techron in the strength that actually allows it to clean the piston heads the following would happen: the guy that drives 1000miles a month, would see cleaner pistons and more power. The guy that drives 5000 miles roundtrip NY to CA would endup with 1quart extra oil in the crankcase. And he would sue one of the wealthiest companies in the world.
Are you trying to tell me that if I add Techron to my fuel tank and drive to NY that it is not going to burn in the combustion chamber, or pass through with the the exhaust gasses? It will somehow remain in the combustion chamber, condense or something on the cylinder walls, seep past the rings, and end up in my crankcase?

Yet, if I only drive 1000 miles a month it leave the combustion chamber, not end up in the crankcase and only do good things for my car instead?

JagRag (08-14-2017)
Old 08-12-2017, 01:14 PM
Veteran Member

Absolutely correct.

If it burned in the combustion chamber- it would burn before being able to react with the carbon in the combustion chamber- worse, it would become a contributor to deposits.

Assume 1qt of polyether (techron) is required to see any meaningful cleaning of pistons.

If its mixed at a ratio of 1qt per 100gallons of gas at the pump: the guy driving 5000miles or 250 gallons consumed will run 2.5 qts of techron through the system. The guy driving 1000miles or using 50 gallons will only get 1/2qt of techron. So they play it super safe.

Its fantastic in the crankcase, and in there anyway as its a detergent in many oils. Proven over trillions of miles and used by many companies, even those who dont call it techron. But you dont want to change the viscosity of oil- thats why they recommend only using 1 pint every 3000 miles, so in 3 oil changes its out with the oil change.

Old 08-12-2017, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 651 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey

This depends on your local laws.

Giving this blanket advice because of your location may not apply for others.

The same is true of "best rates on car insurance", etc...

Regulations of fuel supply will and can vary by location. Its best to look into your locale, then decide. We are a world wide forum, and while we have an extensive amount of members from a certain part of Canada, your regulation does not apply for all of us.

Old 08-12-2017, 03:58 PM

Nobody mentioned regulations or laws.

Old 08-12-2017, 08:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 560 Likes on 314 Posts

While I like this forum, I particularly love three types of threads: oil, additives, and tires. It's like the Kardashians on TMZ: grab the popcorn and sit back. Anyway, two thoughts:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned BG44K. I always understood it was the better version of Techron. I dump a can in twice a year or so.

Q&C: as you know, I'm the guy who, LITERALLY, drives from LA to NYC and back, and puts about 15K a year on my car. Do I use Techron or not? And I sue someone? Why??

Last edited by pk4144; 08-12-2017 at 08:45 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by pk4144:
JagRag (08-14-2017), MartynL (08-13-2017), riverman (02-02-2019), winstonsalemncxk (09-22-2017)
Old 08-12-2017, 09:22 PM
Veteran Member

PK4144,
The difference between BG and Techron is that the latter works best as a slow and ongoing process, BG is instantaneous and what you use when you already have buildup. Techron prevents it to some degree.

I understand skepticism and the nature of it. Rather than argue I try to merely present logic. For instance 'snake oil' was yelled from the back. And lets assume it was nothing more than kerosene; would other companies be buying this snake oil from their competitor. Chevron the folks who invented gasoline clearly have some of the best minds working for them. Their 1 project in Australia is worth $430 billion (in contrast the Trump empire's net assets are $1.3B) Would such a company really need to make pennies from selling bottles of concentrate when they already sell it to in astronomical wholesale quantities. These are all questions an inquiring mind should take into consideration when being skeptic.

Regarding the need for power robbing carbon removal- This is a great article: https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/mu...l/1567737.html

The following 3 users liked this post by Queen and Country:
MartynL (08-13-2017), pk4144 (08-13-2017), robtroxel (08-13-2017)
Old 08-12-2017, 09:31 PM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Originally Posted by pk4144
I'm surprised no one has mentioned BG44K.
Land Rover recommended and approved product!

SSM46917.pdf

So by all means use it.

The following 2 users liked this post by Cambo:
MartynL (08-13-2017), Queen and Country (08-13-2017)
Old 08-12-2017, 11:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 466 Likes on 309 Posts

I had missing on my old SAAB 900 turbo, the SAAB mechanic told me to put in some injector cleaner and sent me on my way home, the missing went by the time I got home.

I used it on my old Alfa Romeo 164 occasionally just as a preventative.

Not used any on the Jag as the top grade fuel has it in already.

MartynL (08-13-2017)