Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Glove box door flopping open

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 02:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts
Default Glove box door flopping open

My 2010 XK is having the glove box door issue causing it to drop open abruptly after releasing the open button rather than slowly as designed. I've read some threads about the glove box damper failing which is apparently very common with our cars.
I believe it requires removal of the glove box. I have an Easy Care Gold extended warranty 6 years/72,000 miles of which I have never used even once. It pretty much covers everything other than trim.I have a $50 deductable.Should this be covered under warranty or should I anticipate the dealer giving me any problems? Thanks all.

Old 06-17-2016, 02:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by bocatrip
My 2010 XK is having the glove box door issue causing it to drop open abruptly after releasing the open button rather than slowly as designed. I've read some threads about the glove box damper failing which is apparently very common with our cars.
I believe it requires removal of the glove box. I have an Easy Care Gold extended warranty 6 years/72,000 miles of which I have never used even once. It pretty much covers everything other than trim.I have a $50 deductable.Should this be covered under warranty or should I anticipate the dealer giving me any problems? Thanks all.
I have the same issue with my 2012. Last time I was at the dealer he said it would be covered under my original warranty and my CPO warranty. He said they need to replace the glove box and he had put one on order. So far it's been 2 months so being that you bring this up I'll have to check with him. You would need to see what coverage you have in your warranty contract because I believe this will be a pricey item.

The following users liked this post:
bocatrip (06-17-2016)
Old 06-17-2016, 03:10 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I have the same issue with my 2012. Last time I was at the dealer he said it would be covered under my original warranty and my CPO warranty. He said they need to replace the glove box and he had put one on order. So far it's been 2 months so being that you bring this up I'll have to check with him. You would need to see what coverage you have in your warranty contract because I believe this will be a pricey item.
Easy Care Gold is used by many Jaguar and Porsche dealers and is quite comprehensive. There is almost no exclusions other than trim, catalytic converter, and after market audio items, wheels, and modifications. Apparently the design for the opening is very flimsy for such an expensive car. All I read about were DIY fixes but nothing about warranty work.

Old 06-17-2016, 03:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,141 Likes on 3,384 Posts

bocatrip,

jagtoes experience is probably irrelevant to your situation because his car is covered by the original and CPO warranties that are from Jaguar, the manufacturer. Your "Easy Care Gold" coverage is not a warranty because, even though it was sold to you by your Jaguar dealer, it is not provided by the manufacturer. It is an extended service contract that is provided by a third party and is similar to an insurance policy. You should read your contract, particularly the exclusions and limitations. Don't let them weasel out of paying because of some vague and ambiguous provision. But if they do, it's a fairly easy DIY fix from what read on this Forum.

Stuart

bocatrip (06-17-2016)
Old 06-17-2016, 03:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart S
bocatrip,

jagtoes experience is probably irrelevant to your situation because his car is covered by the original and CPO warranties that are from Jaguar, the manufacturer. Your "Easy Care Gold" coverage is not a warranty because, even though it was sold to you by your Jaguar dealer, it is not provided by the manufacturer. It is an extended service contract that is provided by a third party and is similar to an insurance policy. You should read your contract, particularly the exclusions and limitations. Don't let them weasel out of paying because of some vague and ambiguous provision. But if they do, it's a fairly easy DIY fix from what read on this Forum.

Stuart
Thanks Stuart. I just got off the phone with my service writer and apparently there is some kind of TSB for this repair which does not require replacement of the glove box door. He told me it would be covered. I would only be responsible for my $50 deductable. I read the contract again as I did very thoroughly when I purchased it and there are virtually almost no exclusions other than what I mentioned above. Of course I'm always skeptical of all warranties especially with Jaguar. I have a friend currently having his XK's head gaskets replaced under a 3rd party warranty which I believe he purchased through Toyota. Of course, that's why I purchased it mainly for the big stuff.

Stuart S (06-17-2016)
Old 06-17-2016, 03:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,894 Likes on 1,285 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
it's a fairly easy DIY fix from what read on this Forum.
Yes, fixing the problem is easy, its getting the glove box back in, such that everything lines up properly, is a PIA.
I've taken the glove box out twice, first to fix the floppy door, and a second time to install my ACM, and putting the box back in again wasn't any easier the second time.
If you can get it down under a warrantee, congrats, let them do the work.

Old 06-17-2016, 04:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,168 Likes on 2,336 Posts

isn't there a little spring loaded device on the back of the glove box the prevents the door from flopping open?

I installed my ACM and saw the piece with a nylon string loop that leads out the end of it. I couldn't figure out where the loop attaches, so now I have the floppy glove box issue. Sadly, no warranty and no mention of this in the service manual that I can find.

Old 06-17-2016, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

TSB attached.

The following 3 users liked this post by u102768:
bocatrip (06-17-2016), Sean W (06-18-2016), Stuart S (06-17-2016)
Old 06-17-2016, 06:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by u102768
TSB attached.
Yep, that's all there is to it, simple fix.

Old 06-17-2016, 08:38 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by u102768
TSB attached.
Great work U10. Better that one of the Jaguar techs will be doing this than me. I'd definitely screw it up. It's the least they can do for my $3500 extended warranty! Thanks again

Old 06-18-2016, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

Both of my XK's had this issue, the first one was repaired under factory warranty. After that car was totaled my replacement XK had the same issue, only this time I was looking for it and had it repaired before delivery.

Funny, on the first XK I noticed that the glove compartment was falling and bouncing so I pointed out that it looked strange to me, the sales guy that was turning the car over to me said that was normal. Despite being the first Jag I ever owned I found that hard to believe so I researched the forum and saw it was a common problem. Since I was under warranty it wasn't a big deal for me, I just had that and a couple of other issues handled before it expired.

Old 06-18-2016, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

What is it, three screws to remove the box, two connectors and then fix the damper by drilling a small hole and reconnect the wire with a tiny screw. The $50 deductible would add up to about $300 per hour in labor.

Old 06-18-2016, 01:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Funny after seeing this post I sent a note to my dealer service contact and asked him what was going on with my glove box. He sent me a note back and told me the new glove box will be in in 14 days and we'll arrange to get it installed. I then sent him the TSB number and mentioned this was the fix so either they can do the fix or install a new glove box. Either way it is covered under the original warranty.

Old 06-18-2016, 03:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Funny after seeing this post I sent a note to my dealer service contact and asked him what was going on with my glove box. He sent me a note back and told me the new glove box will be in in 14 days and we'll arrange to get it installed. I then sent him the TSB number and mentioned this was the fix so either they can do the fix or install a new glove box. Either way it is covered under the original warranty.
Yep, my first XK fix the Tampa dealer ordered a new glove box as the warranty fix.

Crown in St Pete fixed with TSB repair. One was paid by Jag warranty, the other was out of warranty and a pre-delivery repair on their dime, maybe that is why they fixed instead...

Old 06-18-2016, 10:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tampamark
Yep, my first XK fix the Tampa dealer ordered a new glove box as the warranty fix.

Crown in St Pete fixed with TSB repair. One was paid by Jag warranty, the other was out of warranty and a pre-delivery repair on their dime, maybe that is why they fixed instead...
More than likely, the TSB might be a more permanent fix as so many of glove boxes fail. I'm sure Jaguar never updated the replacement boxes as even the later model XKs experience the same failure.

Old 06-18-2016, 11:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bocatrip
More than likely, the TSB might be a more permanent fix as so many of glove boxes fail. I'm sure Jaguar never updated the replacement boxes as even the later model XKs experience the same failure.
Maybe, but from what I can see in previous forum DIY pictures the plastic piece that the dampener wire connects on breaks. Just drilling another hole in the plastic and reattaching the wire just seems to be another broken plastic part later.

Old 06-19-2016, 12:43 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Seems to me that the 0.3 hrs to fix, per the TSB above, makes this a reasonable dealer fix for the "less than handy" or "afraid to screw it up" amongst us!! (or am I missing something...??)
tnt10

Old 06-19-2016, 07:24 AM
Veteran Member

Maybe, but from what I can see in previous forum DIY pictures the plastic piece that the dampener wire connects on breaks. Just drilling another hole in the plastic and reattaching the wire just seems to be another broken plastic part later.
It's a plastic peg in plastic frame that breaks. By using a metal peg (bolt or cotter key) placed in a thicker part of that frame, is a stronger solution, so I think the TSB style fix will last longer than the original.

sharx8 (06-26-2016)
Old 06-19-2016, 07:40 AM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I nervously attempted the fix myself (2010 XK), mainly because I don't trust the work of my local Jag dealer (came back for a couple of warranty fixes that included free finger print grease marks, scratches around the plastic underneath the wiper blade, in other words, any warranty work requires my post-cleanup!).

Anyhow, the TSB fix includes drilling a whole in a stronger part of the plastic, and I have not had a repeat failure (going on 2 years now).

And, more important, the fix was pretty easy. I don't have the link (sorry), but some kind person in this forum posted great pictures of each step and captions for the pictures that were easy to follow.

Try it. Very satisfying!

sharx8 (06-26-2016)
Old 06-19-2016, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by kj07xk
It's a plastic peg in plastic frame that breaks. By using a metal peg (bolt or cotter key) placed in a thicker part of that frame, is a stronger solution, so I think the TSB style fix will last longer than the original.
Originally Posted by wrair
I nervously attempted the fix myself (2010 XK), mainly because I don't trust the work of my local Jag dealer (came back for a couple of warranty fixes that included free finger print grease marks, scratches around the plastic underneath the wiper blade, in other words, any warranty work requires my post-cleanup!).

Anyhow, the TSB fix includes drilling a whole in a stronger part of the plastic, and I have not had a repeat failure (going on 2 years now).

And, more important, the fix was pretty easy. I don't have the link (sorry), but some kind person in this forum posted great pictures of each step and captions for the pictures that were easy to follow.

Try it. Very satisfying!
Thanks guys, that clears it up! The TSB says to source the new cotter pin used for the repair locally, someone at Jaguar got smart and "re-engineered" the original design.

Quick Reply: Glove box door flopping open